Which Bulma do you prefer?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TonyDragonBallFan
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Which Bulma do you prefer?

Post by TonyDragonBallFan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:44 pm
TonyDragonBallFan wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:55 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:50 am

She was obsessed with guns and even had a rifle hanging in her bedroom so I think Toriyama was pretty spot on.
Even when Bulma was 16 at the time, Toriyama didn’t mind giving her weapons at a young age & a bunny suit. Granted it was the ‘80s so even in 2020, stuff like that wouldn’t be allowed.

The overt sexualization of a minor? Sure that probably wouldn’t pass in 2020 as apparently Japan has got a lot stricter with stuff like that. Her being gun happy would still fly as Japan doesn’t share America’s gun problem.
Really? :eh:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:35 pm

I prefer the Bulma of the Boo arc and GT, honestly. This are the only times where her abrasive personality wasn't annoying to me. She was alright in the Cell arc, but still had her moments.

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:44 pm

Mmm.... If its not too OT, I kinda like to imagine what Bulma would look like IRL.

I personally like to picture her as looking like either Lea Thompson or maybe Laura Dern (particularly a younger Laura Dern). Perhaps in part because they both started to gain notoriety around the mid-to-late '80s, the same time as Dragon Ball's early days.

But, in any case, Bulma's pretty damn cool on the whole (looks and personality-wise)
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:10 pm

If you're speaking in terms of western actors, Charisma Carpenter, who played Cordelia on Buffy/Angel, is what a "younger" Bulma would look like in live action to me, just with blue hair. Of course I'm speaking back in the 90's when the actress was younger too.

As for the fanservice stuff, Bulma was at least 16 when Dragonball started and in some places that is the age of consent. At least she wasn't a 11-12 year old. Besides we see kid Goku's 12 year old penis all the time in Dragonball and nobody minds.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:59 pm

precita wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:10 pm . Besides we see kid Goku's 12 year old penis all the time in Dragonball and nobody minds.
Because Goku’s penis wasn’t sexualized.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:55 pm

precita wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:10 pm As for the fanservice stuff, Bulma was at least 16 when Dragonball started and in some places that is the age of consent. At least she wasn't a 11-12 year old. Besides we see kid Goku's 12 year old penis all the time in Dragonball and nobody minds.
It doesn't matter what the age of consent is in a specific country so that it can be applied to a fictional chacter. Fanservice is NOT appropriate in a work marketed to twelve year olds.

TonyDragonBallFan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TonyDragonBallFan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:58 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:55 pm
precita wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:10 pm As for the fanservice stuff, Bulma was at least 16 when Dragonball started and in some places that is the age of consent. At least she wasn't a 11-12 year old. Besides we see kid Goku's 12 year old penis all the time in Dragonball and nobody minds.
It doesn't matter what the age of consent is in a specific country so that it can be applied to a fictional chacter. Fanservice is NOT appropriate in a work marketed to twelve year olds.
Facts

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:00 pm

With folks talking about looks and appropriateness, is a good thing of the period is Bulma's still average size at 34-C. Nowadays lot of anime girls of that age range and older tend to have super jumbo jugs. Can't see DB women that big personally.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:08 pm

When I was eleven years old, I didn't mind seeing hot anime girls, nude breasts, etc... :|

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:22 am

Psajdak wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:08 pm When I was eleven years old, I didn't mind seeing hot anime girls, nude breasts, etc... :|
That's not the point, you shouldn't be exposed to that sort of thing at that age.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:34 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:22 am That's not the point, you shouldn't be exposed to that sort of thing at that age.
Should, or shouldn't don't matter.

The only thing that is important is that that happened, can't be undone, and that I enjoyed every moment of that part of my life.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:41 am

Psajdak wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:34 am
KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:22 am That's not the point, you shouldn't be exposed to that sort of thing at that age.

The only thing that is important is that that happened, can't be undone, and that I enjoyed every moment of that part of my life.
:|

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:24 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:22 am
Psajdak wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:08 pm When I was eleven years old, I didn't mind seeing hot anime girls, nude breasts, etc... :|
That's not the point, you shouldn't be exposed to that sort of thing at that age.
Speaking from my own personal experience, I was about 15-16 when I started to really obsess over both DB in general, but also early DB specifically (this being right around the time the first Budokai game for PS2 came out), though I had been something of a casual fan for a few years before this.

I, I think I myself at least turned out fine.

But I digress.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

TonyDragonBallFan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TonyDragonBallFan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Psajdak wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:34 am

Actually sir, it does matter. Nobody should be looking at that sort of thing at 11. Also I’m not a huge fan of breasts whatsoever because it’s too overrated. I’m just not in for it.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:48 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:00 pm With folks talking about looks and appropriateness, is a good thing of the period is Bulma's still average size at 34-C. Nowadays lot of anime girls of that age range and older tend to have super jumbo jugs. Can't see DB women that big personally.
Yeah, I dislike it when fan artists draw Bulma, Chi-Chi, #18, Caulifla etc with ridiculously huge TnA. I don't care if you like huge jugs, but it's not true to their characters or Toriyama's style. Toriyama's a self-admitted perv but he gives his female characters realistic proportions. Like, Bulma's already said to have big boobs by Dragon Ball standards, and by most real world standards. I also like that he doesn't (often) use that tiresome "A-Cup Angst" trope where less endowed women are constantly jealous of bigger women, which is just demeaning but is used everywhere in modern anime.

#18 seems to get it the worst, I can't seem to find a single fan artist who's willing to depict her accurately. Horny bastards can't help themselves. She's meant to be a slim "size zero" model that was fashionable in the '90s.

TonyDragonBallFan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TonyDragonBallFan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:27 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:48 pm
Super Sonic wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:00 pm With folks talking about looks and appropriateness, is a good thing of the period is Bulma's still average size at 34-C. Nowadays lot of anime girls of that age range and older tend to have super jumbo jugs. Can't see DB women that big personally.
Yeah, I dislike it when fan artists draw Bulma, Chi-Chi, #18, Caulifla etc with ridiculously huge TnA. I don't care if you like huge jugs, but it's not true to their characters or Toriyama's style. Toriyama's a self-admitted perv but he gives his female characters realistic proportions. Like, Bulma's already said to have big boobs by Dragon Ball standards, and by most real world standards. I also like that he doesn't (often) use that tiresome "A-Cup Angst" trope where less endowed women are constantly jealous of bigger women, which is just demeaning but is used everywhere in modern anime.

#18 seems to get it the worst, I can't seem to find a single fan artist who's willing to depict her accurately. Horny bastards can't help themselves. She's meant to be a slim "size zero" model that was fashionable in the '90s.
Disgusting if you ask me.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:04 pm

Besides some early Dragonball, I'm glad the franchise doesn't have that much fanservice of its female characters.

Chi Chi has practically none, Bulma only a few scenes in early Dragonball and the scene in the bathtub on Namek, 18 has none, and Videl has none. Come to think of it there's also never been a full bikini/beach episode for the main girls of the series either for that matter.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:47 pm

i don't even know if that bulma scene is fan-service, the joke is more so what a slob she's become after being such a stick in the mud prior, and no big deal is made out of it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:50 pm

precita wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:04 pm Besides some early Dragonball, I'm glad the franchise doesn't have that much fanservice of its female characters.

Chi Chi has practically none, Bulma only a few scenes in early Dragonball and the scene in the bathtub on Namek, 18 has none, and Videl has none. Come to think of it there's also never been a full bikini/beach episode for the main girls of the series either for that matter.
Early Dragon Ball really could go ham with the sex jokes, it felt like an HBO show at times. But like most HBO shows, Toriyama pretty much outgrew it as the story developed and only sprinkled in moderate bits here and there.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:30 pm

Also the anime censored a lot more than the manga. Like when Krillin pulls down Bulma's top so Yamcha can fight Invisible Man. In the anime you only get a split second of her top pulled down that you barely notice anything unless you pause the scene.