Anyone ever get embarrassed?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu May 01, 2008 12:12 pm

testing223 wrote:Dragonball Z is pretty much aimed at teenage boys. If you're still pretending to be Goku at age 30, yes, you should be embarrassed. In fact MOST anime would be embarrassing to be a fan of once you're a grown man (with few exceptions, obviously).
Fuck that.
I'd actually say more, but I've ranted enough on this subject in the past.
Ur... ok, so maybe "fuck you" is a bit extreme. I'm leaving it though. Ok, so maybe I'll make it less of apersonal attack...

[edit] Damn, I need to not post when I'm annoyed. -_- everyone on the previous page said it way better than me.
But yeah, I actually looked up a fair amount of TMNT clips on Youtube yesterday.

Social expectations of the "you can't like this" or "you can't enjoy life" variety need to die. Hard. Rules are good. Suppression of personality because all the popular kids (Oh, I'm sorry, preppy guys in suits) think it's below them... evil.

-_- Sorry. This subject gets me in fighting mode. [/edit]

[edit2] For the record, DB is in fact a children's show. That doesn't make me like it less. Perhaps it makes me like it more, even.[/edit2]
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Thu May 01, 2008 12:20 pm

If i don't get embarassed buying Pokemon movies and games in front of a lot of people then no, buying Dragonball related stuff does not embaress me in the slightest.

I do get annoyed at people who say Anime/Manga sucks yet when i ask them if they have watched/read any they so no, and just because it is a cartoon i should grow up -_-

Nothing wrong with liking things you did as a child, nothing wrong at all. Why on earth would someone expect someone to grow out of something when they love it so much is beyond me.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu May 01, 2008 2:11 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
testing223 wrote:Dragonball Z is pretty much aimed at teenage boys. If you're still pretending to be Goku at age 30, yes, you should be embarrassed. In fact MOST anime would be embarrassing to be a fan of once you're a grown man (with few exceptions, obviously).
I know I'll never grow out of cartoons.
Same. Heck, I want to be a voice actor, so me growing out of them is unlikely.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu May 01, 2008 6:12 pm

I'm in my mid-20s now. It's a bit late in my life to be embarassed now, since I was into the show since back in middle school and proudly showed off my DBZ t-shirts in class.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Calcaneus

Post by Calcaneus » Thu May 01, 2008 6:31 pm

I was checking my university's bookstore today, and they finally had some DB volumes in stock. I decided to pick up the last DBZ volume, but I felt a bit hesitant at first. I thought to myself, "I know the clerk, would it be wierd to come up to her with a DBZ manga?"

After thinking about it some more, I decided that there's really nothing to feel embarrassed about. Seeing as we were both college students, we should be past the point of putting age limits on the entertainment we consume. I took it up to the clerk, had a short conversation, and went on my way.

At this point, I'm much to tired to be wary of what other people think of my hobbies.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu May 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:
I know I'll never grow out of cartoons.
Same. Heck, I want to be a voice actor, so me growing out of them is unlikely.
Also, the same. So, there are others here who want to be Voice Actors. (Off Topic: I got examples on YouTube.)

Anyways, I usually don't get embarrassed. Since, many people that I know, don't seem to make fun of me for liking Anime.

But, if there are people who make fun of me for it, I usually raise my middle finger and tell them to fuck off. Well, only to the people who are like "You're a fag, because you watch shows like Death Note and Dragon Ball Z!"

But, in general I don't get embarrassed for being an Anime fan. Same with being a South Park fan.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu May 01, 2008 9:46 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote: Same with being a South Park fan.
South Park isn't really the same, it's far more mainstream, not to mention targeted at an older audience.

Which is probably why the dvd's are still so expensive..*sigh*

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu May 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote: Same with being a South Park fan.
South Park isn't really the same, it's far more mainstream, not to mention targeted at an older audience.

Which is probably why the dvd's are still so expensive..*sigh*
I'm 14, but my parents don't care that I watch it. Hell, my dad enjoyed it when I showed him some episodes. I have Seasons 1-10 on DVD (I enjoy it on the level, Mike and Meri do with Dragon Ball. But, anyways there are places where you get ridiculed for liking South Park. Hell, sometimes it happens at school. But, I'm a huge fan (Whatever the equivalent of an Otaku is, but for American Shows.) of it... So, that might be why. Also, on YouTube, etc. Hell, I turn anime into South Park style, videos, comics etc.

Sorry, if I went too off-topic Vegetto EX.

JohnnyBoy_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by JohnnyBoy_Z » Thu May 15, 2008 5:04 pm

I don't get embarrased anymjore about discussing my all-time favorite anime ever. Just as long as I'm discussing it with someone who is actually interested and/or already has vast Dragon Ball knowledge, which makes the conversation enjoyable.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Thu May 15, 2008 5:55 pm

caejones wrote:
Fuck that.
I'd actually say more, but I've ranted enough on this subject in the past.
Ur... ok, so maybe "fuck you" is a bit extreme. I'm leaving it though. Ok, so maybe I'll make it less of apersonal attack...

[edit] Damn, I need to not post when I'm annoyed. -_- everyone on the previous page said it way better than me.
But yeah, I actually looked up a fair amount of TMNT clips on Youtube yesterday.

Social expectations of the "you can't like this" or "you can't enjoy life" variety need to die. Hard. Rules are good. Suppression of personality because all the popular kids (Oh, I'm sorry, preppy guys in suits) think it's below them... evil.

-_- Sorry. This subject gets me in fighting mode. [/edit]

[edit2] For the record, DB is in fact a children's show. That doesn't make me like it less. Perhaps it makes me like it more, even.[/edit2]
Yeah, thats a load of bs. Though I can occasionally still be a little embarrassed about being a dbz fan, its only because of the judgemental assholes I'd have to subject myself to if I reveal to much about my interests.

Besides, people don't change who they are to please me, why the fuck would I change who I am to please some them. The older I'm getting now, the less I care about what other people think...

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu May 15, 2008 7:45 pm

Kid Trunks wrote: Besides, people don't change who they are to please me, why the fuck would I change who I am to please some them. The older I'm getting now, the less I care about what other people think...
Exactly.

I've always been of the opinion that being obsessed with what everyone thinks of you isn't a sign of maturity, it just means you were more traumatized by high school than the rest of us.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:26 pm

Embarrassed? Never. I already mentioned my penchant for doing Saiyaman poses randomly in public for a good laugh. Example numero dos? My almost freakish cheerfulness when I found a Gohan figurine at K-Mart.

Can you say "giddy like a schoolgirl on crack"?
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Sean

Post by Sean » Thu May 15, 2008 10:19 pm

I've never felt embarassed buying dragonball stuff in stores. I do feel crazy some time when I see something good. Like I saw an SSJ Trunks coffee cup at this discount store and I went crazy and bought that shit. I still have a bunch of T-shirts that are too big for me that are awesome Dragonball.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Fri May 16, 2008 12:07 am

I'm 32 and I definitely get flack at work over DBZ ^^

Hehe, but they also know something of my history with the show so I think they understand.

There's this guy who used to make a Star Trek reference at least once a day....One day I threatened to find a show to make a reference on every day to show him up (somehow DBZ didn't occur to me at the time) and another guy goes, "Scott...no one wants to hear about Dragonball Z everyday....(frown)" haha.

well, yeah I guess you hadda be there....well maybe it wasn't even that funny at the time....sigh....
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri May 16, 2008 4:01 am

I embarrassed myself by telling some guy that Tenshinhan's name isn't Tien, in my college class. I need to learn to grow up, I don't bitch at people who say the wrong Street Fighter names or Pokemon, hell, I use the American names for Street Fighter and Pokemon.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri May 16, 2008 4:09 am

Never really been embarassed, I started getting merchandise with pocket money when I was a kid, and just, never really stopped as I got older, so its kind of natural for me.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Fri May 16, 2008 12:20 pm

Most anime or manga stuff i get is from collectors stores and there full of people (or none at all) who like what they like so i'm never scared to purchase anything there.

I only talk about Anime/Manga with those who will care and i don't like to reveal to much of my otaku side when around people i don't know or just getting to know.

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Sun May 18, 2008 1:23 am

Luckily I live in an area where Dragonball is making a comeback. As soon as I mention Dragonball, people start reminiscing about middle school and the Buu saga, and start complaining about new anime fans and FUNimation's Season Sets. Plus, for some strange reason, girls like my Masako Nozawa impression. I repeat, "like", not think its "cute", but "like".

Santa Monica, CA FTW!!