Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Goten_jr » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:26 pm

I genuinely think the Baby arc is good 7/10

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:23 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:52 am
Grimlock wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:02 am
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:43 amHe created the other forms because his power is so great that he must transform himself in order to control it.
So wait... He created more powerful transformations because his power is so great that he must transform into those forms to control it? Even though that's exactly the opposite of what Freeza said? :crazy: Shouldn't be the other way around? Exactly how it's stated in the images above?
Yes, Freeza becomes so powerful that his body transforms itself the higher his power gets. He says that it is difficult to control his power without transforming. Maybe "create", maybe not. But if he needs more power than his original form allows, then he transforms. His first form is his natural/birth form.
Agreed, though personally I don't think he created them. They are simply what naturally came about once he tapped into his out of control power.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:37 pm

Goten_jr wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:26 pm I genuinely think the Baby arc is good 7/10
Baby is probably the most solid arc in GT. The only real stumbling points for me are the stupid filler episodes with those shapeshifting aliens & that stupid fucking dice game that bring the pace of the arc WAY down to a halt just to play a rigged board game & introduce us to characters who we don't have any reasons to care about & the ending was really rushed just to get it over with. Everything else, I feel was really well done. The setups were all good, the tension was great, & it's a villain we hadn't quite seen in DB, outside of a bad filler Z arc, & I loved it. The payoffs, though, weren't that great at times. And that's the worst thing about it for me.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:45 pm

Goten_jr wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:26 pm I genuinely think the Baby arc is good 7/10
It's the one good arc in GT, even though it has a few problems itself.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:17 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:45 pm
It's the one good arc in GT, even though it has a few problems itself.
It was really good until great ape baby from there on it became hit and miss for me But I LOVED the ending episodes where Goku teleported the whole earth to Planet Tsufuru

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:22 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:37 pm
Baby is probably the most solid arc in GT. The only real stumbling points for me are the stupid filler episodes with those shapeshifting aliens & that stupid fucking dice game that bring the pace of the arc WAY down to a halt just to play a rigged board game & introduce us to characters who we don't have any reasons to care about & the ending was really rushed just to get it over with. Everything else, I feel was really well done. The setups were all good, the tension was great, & it's a villain we hadn't quite seen in DB, outside of a bad filler Z arc, & I loved it. The payoffs, though, weren't that great at times. And that's the worst thing about it for me.
I don’t why but I kinda liked the episodes with those aliens it was weird but somehow creativ and unique (for me)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:13 pm

Yeah blasting Baby into the sun was weak sauce
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:21 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:13 pm Yeah blasting Baby into the sun was weak sauce
Baby was in his most badass looking form, too, yet he did not do anything in that despite it showing up in the freaking title sequence :problem:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:08 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:13 pm Yeah blasting Baby into the sun was weak sauce
It would be good if Broly and Cooler weren't already blasted into it.
I think it would be cool if Vegeta was the one killing Baby, although his body was heavily beaten at this point and he probably wouldn't stand a chance even if he was at his full strength anyway, considering adult Baby was said by Trunks to be stronger than anything in universe, so only Goku SSJ4 and maybe Majuub could potentialy beat him. Unless Vegeta blasted him into sun as well.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:08 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:08 pm
I think it would be cool if Vegeta was the one killing Baby, although his body was heavily beaten at this point and he probably wouldn't stand a chance even if he was at his full strength anyway, considering adult Baby was said by Trunks to be stronger than anything in universe, so only Goku SSJ4 and maybe Majuub could potentialy beat him. Unless Vegeta blasted him into sun as well.
I don't think it's that as much as the how. He runs into a space ship like a coward and Goku blasts the ship into the sun. It wasn't even the result of a ki battle.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:37 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:08 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:08 pm
I don't think it's that as much as the how. He runs into a space ship like a coward and Goku blasts the ship into the sun. It wasn't even the result of a ki battle.

...How are you posting this? It says you are "Temporarily Banned"? Not that I mind that you are back! I love you man!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:01 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:59 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:59 pm Piccolo was the Devil reborn. Threatening to snap a neck isn't unexpected...That's not being a dick. If anything it's the opposite.
I know this thread is called "unpopular opinions", but it is best you back your arguments with consistent logic.
What does that mean? Piccolo was evil, so it makes sense for him to threaten Gohan like that. It doesn't mean that he is necessarily a dick. And I was referring mostly to Piccolo's leaving Gohan in the wilderness as not being a dick move. It's harsh training, but the coming threat was a serious one. It's appropriate for the training to be tough, and Piccolo is ensuring Gohan's survival.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:52 pm

Here's an unpopular opinion - while a little on the long side, the best part of the Freeza fight is after Goku turns Super Saiyan. After seeing Freeza (painfully) draw out his punishment of our heroes, it felt so good to see Goku finally turn the tables.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:31 pm

I wouldn't have anything against anime adaptation of DBS manga, including the arcs that anime covered already, if Toei really decided adapt the entire main manga from the very start.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:07 am

ABED wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:52 pm Here's an unpopular opinion - while a little on the long side, the best part of the Freeza fight is after Goku turns Super Saiyan. After seeing Freeza (painfully) draw out his punishment of our heroes, it felt so good to see Goku finally turn the tables.
Let me add onto this statement by saying: I do not actually mind the dragged out fight between Freeza and Goku. Yeah, it makes no sense how they can talk that much in 5 minutes, but I did not feel bored.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:08 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:01 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:59 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:59 pm Piccolo was the Devil reborn. Threatening to snap a neck isn't unexpected...That's not being a dick. If anything it's the opposite.
I know this thread is called "unpopular opinions", but it is best you back your arguments with consistent logic.
What does that mean? Piccolo was evil, so it makes sense for him to threaten Gohan like that. It doesn't mean that he is necessarily a dick. And I was referring mostly to Piccolo's leaving Gohan in the wilderness as not being a dick move. It's harsh training, but the coming threat was a serious one. It's appropriate for the training to be tough, and Piccolo is ensuring Gohan's survival.
Piccolo was evil, and was a dick. End of story. It makes sense for an evil person to be a dick, but he was still a dick.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:31 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:07 am
ABED wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:52 pm Here's an unpopular opinion - while a little on the long side, the best part of the Freeza fight is after Goku turns Super Saiyan. After seeing Freeza (painfully) draw out his punishment of our heroes, it felt so good to see Goku finally turn the tables.
Let me add onto this statement by saying: I do not actually mind the dragged out fight between Freeza and Goku. Yeah, it makes no sense how they can talk that much in 5 minutes, but I did not feel bored.
I was referring to pacing, not the five minute issue. Regardless, I wasn't bored by it whereas I did grow tired of waiting for Goku to arrive after Freeza beats up the good guys and transform over and over.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:33 am

ABED wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:31 am I was referring to pacing, not the five minute issue. Regardless, I wasn't bored by it whereas I did grow tired of waiting for Goku to arrive after Freeza beats up the good guys and transform over and over.
I, too, was referring to the pacing.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:00 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:08 am Piccolo was evil, and was a dick. End of story. It makes sense for an evil person to be a dick, but he was still a dick.
I guess I don't see evil and dickery as being the same things. I know Piccolo was evil, but I never saw him as a dick. Certainly not with Gohan.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:23 am

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:00 am
PurestEvil wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:08 am Piccolo was evil, and was a dick. End of story. It makes sense for an evil person to be a dick, but he was still a dick.
I guess I don't see evil and dickery as being the same things. I know Piccolo was evil, but I never saw him as a dick. Certainly not with Gohan.
There is no context where telling a 4 year old to stop crying or you’ll snap his neck isn’t dick behavior.