Who else here got into Dragon Ball with original series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Who else here got into Dragon Ball with original series?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:06 am

I saw Dragon Ball before I saw DBZ in 1997. My dad got me two VHS tapes of Dragon Ball for my birthday from Suncoast and he was like "I was told this is a popular cartoon from Japan from the guy at the store". I liked Japanese stuff such as Godzilla and I was still new with anime by watching stuff on Sci-Fi. I didn't care for it at the time and it took me until 4 years later when I got into the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:14 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:06 am I saw Dragon Ball before I saw DBZ in 1997. My dad got me two VHS tapes of Dragon Ball for my birthday from Suncoast and he was like "I was told this is a popular cartoon from Japan from the guy at the store". I liked Japanese stuff such as Godzilla and I was still new with anime by watching stuff on Sci-Fi. I didn't care for it at the time and it took me until 4 years later when I got into the series.
Which arcs did the episodes take place in?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:34 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:14 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:06 am I saw Dragon Ball before I saw DBZ in 1997. My dad got me two VHS tapes of Dragon Ball for my birthday from Suncoast and he was like "I was told this is a popular cartoon from Japan from the guy at the store". I liked Japanese stuff such as Godzilla and I was still new with anime by watching stuff on Sci-Fi. I didn't care for it at the time and it took me until 4 years later when I got into the series.
Presumably the first arc as that was the only Dragon Ball arc that had an English dub pre 2001. Either that or the Suncoast had the hook up.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:00 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:14 am
I had these two tapes.

When I was 6, I thought Dragon Ball was pretty boring compare to the anime that I was watching on Sci-Fi. My two sisters at the time (They were 5 and 2 at the time) like it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:34 pm

First memory I have of Dragon Ball is Goku punching the log on the first episode. I was 5/6 years old and as per usual woke up at 7 am to watch cartoons on the weekend.

I only got more deeply into Dragon Ball later but in my country, many times, both DB and DBZ were airing concurrently.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:01 pm

I honestly can't remember. My first memory of the franchise is also of kid Goku's antics in the first episode, and I think over the next few years I would sort of switch back and forth between the DB and DBZ shows before finally viewing everything in order.

It's odd that for a series I'm so invested in, my earliest experiences with it are somewhat hazy.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:23 pm

It's hard to remember which was the very first episode I ever watched (I was only 4), but I remember watching parts of the Red Ribbon Army and the 21st/22nd Tenkaichi Budokai arcs around that time.

Since DB aired early in the morning in my country I didn't get to watch it everyday, so a lot of times I would only watch random episodes of different arcs every now and then. This was around 1996-97. Then only almost 10 years later, after playing Budokai 3 and loving it, I finally watched the full series during a rerun of my country's dub on cable

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:00 am

My first exposure to Dragon Ball was the original story arc and Curse of the Blood Rubies in the mid / early 90s. FUNimation quickly skipped to Z but they were very slow to release episodes so I ended up watching raw VHS TV recordings from Japan and fansubs.
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:17 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:51 am I did. :mrgreen:
Because at that point DBZ still wasn't made.
The French were already dubbing the original series in the late 80s, and they simply followed the chronology of the manga.
You must be old, like in your 50s or even older. :wtf: :shock: :o
😂 Dragon Ball began in the 80s so the original fans are getting old and now watch Dragon Ball with their kids