Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:57 am

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:58 am
Ringworm128 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 am If Goku were to have one consistent English voice over every version of the character; it should be Stephanie Nadalony.
She's great as Kid Goku, but Adult? I'm not sure I could see that working.
I don't see Nadolny working either, although I will say I prefer her Goku to her Gohan.

Interestingly, unlike in Japan you never see females voicing adult males in the western world. Not saying females voicing men couldn't work, based on what little we've heard of Barbara Goodson's kid Goku I'd like to see how she'd do as adult Goku, but as of now there isn't any precedence for it, and I'd respect any actor that at least attempted it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:35 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 am If Goku were to have one consistent English voice over every version of the character; it should be Stephanie Nadolny.
Yeah, I wish, but she's long gone from the gig by now.
sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:36 am
Ringworm128 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 am If Goku were to have one consistent English voice over every version of the character; it should be Stephanie Nadalony.
Agreed. Also, i just can't stand Colleen Clinkenbeard as neither Goku nor Gohan.
Colleen's not...bad, but, to me, she's not a great VA for young males. Even her Luffy isn't that great, just serviceable. I've never really liked her as Gohan, or Goku, but she's serviceable to the overall product. I like her as a VA, but not for them.
90sDBZ wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:58 am
She's great as Kid Goku, but Adult? I'm not sure I could see that working.
Oh yeah. Women shouldn't be voicing adult men in anything unless they can actually sound convincing. Even in the Japanese dubs, I have problems with it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:40 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:02 am
Not gonna lie, Stephanie Nadalony did a better job with kid Goku than kid Gohan. It would be quite interesting to hear her recite the "I AM" speech.
Not unpopular and not one I share. Her Goku is INTOLERABLE
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:23 pm

None of Goku’s English voice actors for when he was child could play him as an adult. Even the good ones.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:08 am

Nadolny or Clinkenbeard’s voices would be absolutely jarring coming out of Goku’s adult self.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:13 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:08 am Nadolny or Clinkenbeard’s voices would be absolutely jarring coming out of Goku’s adult self.
So true, they just can't pull off what Nozawa has done so masterfully for 30+ years. There's really no female VA around here anywhere who could possibly do that same sort of thing because Goku's voice in Japanese was and is consistent and she's always more or less played the role in a natural way that makes it work going from child to adult seamlessly and not sounding weird at all. The above two OTOH....yeah no, it effectively a case of their voices only ever fitting with the younger version of the character. There's just no precedent for women voicing grown male characters in voiceover here which as already mentioned above is far more common in Japan and some other counties.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:18 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:23 pm None of Goku’s English voice actors for when he was child could play him as an adult. Even the good ones.
The only female VA of a kid anime character that I didn't mind in English staying till they were older is Naruto's VA. Maile Flanagan naturally sounds like a guy, so the voice, while maybe a bit jarring with older Naruto, isn't too bad.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:32 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:18 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:23 pm None of Goku’s English voice actors for when he was child could play him as an adult. Even the good ones.
The only female VA of a kid anime character that I didn't mind in English staying till they were older is Naruto's VA. Maile Flanagan naturally sounds like a guy, so the voice, while maybe a bit jarring with older Naruto, isn't too bad.
Flanagan has the “If I sound like I smoke 20 packs a day that sounds like a little boy?” Nadolny syndrome.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:19 pm

Android 17 should never have been brought back, at least not in the capacity he was. At best, 17 should have been a cameo in the Moro arc, a la Yamcha and Chaozu helping fight off Moro’s army - with all of 17’s major moments in Super being transferred to Gohan, 18, Piccolo, etc, instead.

Ideally, the Tournament of Power team would have been:

Son Goku, Vegeta, Son Gohan, Piccolo, Eighteen, Krillin, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Majin Boo and Freeza.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:24 pm

In Brightest Day wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:19 pm Android 17 should never have been brought back, at least not in the capacity he was. At best, 17 should have been a cameo in the Moro arc, a la Yamcha and Chaozu helping fight off Moro’s army - with all of 17’s major moments in Super being transferred to Gohan, 18, Piccolo, etc, instead.

Ideally, the Tournament of Power team would have been:

Son Goku, Vegeta, Son Gohan, Piccolo, Eighteen, Krillin, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Majin Boo and Freeza.
Yamcha before 17?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:15 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:32 am Flanagan has the “If I sound like I smoke 20 packs a day that sounds like a little boy?” Nadolny syndrome.
I mean, I have never actually thought Nadolny's young boy voice. sounded like she smoked 20 packs a day. Is it a little too deep for a kid below the preteen age? Yeah. However, if she were voicing kids around 10-13 years old, it'd be good. Kinda like Tara Strong.
Flanagan's voice, I can see that argument for. However, with Naruto being a teenager already when the show starts, I don't mind it. It's her natural speaking voice as well, so that helps. I'd say it's more hoarse than anything.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:36 pm

Fortuneteller Baba is a way better character than people give her credit for. I actually like her more than Roshi.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:27 pm

I like Caulifa and Kale (more so Caulifa) and I’m surprised they get so much disdain when a character as boring and uninspired as Jiren debuted in the same archives

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:01 pm

Same with Japanese but they did it anyway.

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:02 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:13 am
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:08 am Nadolny or Clinkenbeard’s voices would be absolutely jarring coming out of Goku’s adult self.
So true, they just can't pull off what Nozawa has done so masterfully for 30+ years. There's really no female VA around here anywhere who could possibly do that same sort of thing because Goku's voice in Japanese was and is consistent and she's always more or less played the role in a natural way that makes it work going from child to adult seamlessly and not sounding weird at all. The above two OTOH....yeah no, it effectively a case of their voices only ever fitting with the younger version of the character. There's just no precedent for women voicing grown male characters in voiceover here which as already mentioned above is far more common in Japan and some other counties.
What other country has an adult woman voicing adult Goku? And if there is, does it still sound like a woman?

Goku's Japanese voice is terrible.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:07 pm

McDonaldsGuy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:02 pm
What other country has an adult woman voicing adult Goku? And if there is, does it still sound like a woman?

What exactly is it about Nozawa's voice for Goku you find so terrible? Because that doesn't seem to be a widely held majority concensus across most of the fandom especially around here. To answer your first question, now that i'm thinking about it i don't believe there are any other countries with dubs of the series that have an adult woman playing adult Goku.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:08 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:07 pm

What exactly is it about Nozawa's voice for Goku you find so terrible? Because that doesn't seem to be a widely held majority concensus.
Let me ask you this: if Japan was going to make a live action DBZ movie, would they dub Goku's voice with a 50 year old woman?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:15 pm

McDonaldsGuy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:08 pm

What exactly is it about Nozawa's voice for Goku you find so terrible? Because that doesn't seem to be a widely held majority concensus.
Let me ask you this: if Japan was going to make a live action DBZ movie, would they dub Goku's voice with a 50 year old woman?
I'm not really too sure there, given that A.) there likely won't be one of those anytime soon because i think DB Evolution's total bombing back in 2009 has made studios really hesitant to try again and B.) I don't believe they would dub in the anime cast's voices over whoever the actors are playing the characters on screen. Live action film is a very different beast from an anime series production where you are voicing in a recording studio over drawings projected onto a screen.

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:24 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:15 pm

I'm not really too sure about that, given A.) there likely won't be one of those anytime soon because i think DBE's bombing back in 2009 has made studios hesitant to try again and B.) I don't believe they would dub in the anime cast's voices over whoever the actors are playing the characters on screen. Live action film is different from an anime series production where you are voicing in a recording studio over drawings projected onto a screen.
Let's be real. If Japan did a live action show or movie, Goku's voice would be a male's voice. Because that makes sense.

I don't have a problem with adult Goku being voiced by a woman (Krillin's is voiced by a woman and fits), the problem is it's just too screechy and loud. It's supposed to be that Goku is a kid in an adult's body, but he doesn't sound like a kid. He sounds like an old lady.

I think this scene really shows what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL-FWvgIIXA

The Japanese dub is virtually unlistenable. If you were to mute that scene, and show it to random people who have never seen DBZ before, 0% of them would picture that voice with it. There's a reason Japan is the only dub to have an adult woman voice for Goku..... because it doesn't make sense.

DBZ is unique in the anime world in that the non-Japanese dubs tend to be superior to the Japanese dub.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:33 pm

McDonaldsGuy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:24 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:15 pm

I'm not really too sure about that, given A.) there likely won't be one of those anytime soon because i think DBE's bombing back in 2009 has made studios hesitant to try again and B.) I don't believe they would dub in the anime cast's voices over whoever the actors are playing the characters on screen. Live action film is different from an anime series production where you are voicing in a recording studio over drawings projected onto a screen.
Let's be real. If Japan did a live action show or movie, Goku's voice would be a male's voice. Because that makes sense.

I don't have a problem with adult Goku being voiced by a woman (Krillin's is voiced by a woman and fits), the problem is it's just too screechy and loud. It's supposed to be that Goku is a kid in an adult's body, but he doesn't sound like a kid. He sounds like an old lady.

I think this scene really shows what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL-FWvgIIXA

The Japanese dub is virtually unlistenable. If you were to mute that scene, and show it to random people who have never seen DBZ before, 0% of them would picture that voice with it. There's a reason Japan is the only dub to have an adult woman voice for Goku..... because it doesn't make sense.

DBZ is unique in the anime world in that the non-Japanese dubs tend to be superior to the Japanese dub.
So your issue with Nozawa as adult Goku isn't solely that she has been the character's voice for so long in of itself, but the particular sound of the performance? I mean, if the anime producers or voice casting people or even Toriyama himself back in 1988/1989 had though the same way then they'd have possibly recast the role with a male seiyuu or something once they reached the point in the original series where Goku is now grown up. But they didn't do that, because they (producers, Toriyama?) i guess insisted on keeping her around even then.

Different strokes i suppose, i personally don't find her voice for the character to be "unlistenable" or whatever but your mileage may vary on whether one thinks it's good or not.