Everything Dragon Ball Super Did Right!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Everything Dragon Ball Super Did Right!

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:27 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:05 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:30 am
SonReggie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:15 am DBS: Broly was good, but to date - for me - nothing tops DBS Ep131
That and episode 130 were major highlights of the show, even compared to its 3 movies. I give the staff major credit for being able to pull them off as well as they did.
Exactly, there was a reason why the Mexican government sponsored the live screenings of eps 130 and 131 for the public to watch. They were evidently the most visceral episodes of that series, so much hype with great payoff!
I have talked with many Super haters in the past, and not one of them was able to answer this question:

"Do you know any other anime which episodes were live-streamed in huge city centres and became public event?"

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:13 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:05 pmThey were evidently the most visceral episodes of that series, so much hype with great payoff!
If they were able to pull those off with all the production problems they had, imagine how good Super 2 will look with proper pre-production ?
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:27 pm"Do you know any other anime which episodes were live-streamed in huge city centres and became public event?"
No, and I think it will be a very long time before we see something like that again (maybe super's 3rd tournament).

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:41 pm

- 18 getting some action again! And not just that, we finally saw her interact with characters that aren't Krillin or Marron! My gurl got some love in Super and I'm a huge fan of that, even if some of the stuff she said made me want to slap her in the face, but Super likes to flanderize some of its characters so it was expected that she will say or do something stupid.
- Introduced tons of new, hot (looking at you Vados and Marcarita) and strong female characters
- Big Green got a power boost
- Fixed RoF by making it look as funny as possible. The memes we got from them were glorious.
- Made Vegeta look even hotter than before! I know this is weird, but I find Vegeta a lot more attractive in his RoF clothes. Maybe because i'm a huge fan of the color grey.
- Some really funny slice of life episodes!
- The episode where Bra/Bulla is born! One of the most wholesome ones this franchise has ever made.
- Future Trunks coming back and interacting with the main cast again!

There are probably more but i'm in the middle of a bath right now so maybe I will say them later.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:46 pm

The baseball episode is one of my favorite Dragon Ball episodes ever. I didn’t think anything could surpass the Driving School episode for just pure fun but this did it for me.

I also loved the increase of Vegeta/Bulma moments in Super. There was very little to none in DBZ

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:06 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:41 pm

There are probably more but i'm in the middle of a bath right now so maybe I will say them later.
Why are you typing when you're in a bath? I wrote this at 3AM
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:14 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:06 am
DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:41 pm

Why are you typing when you're in a bath? I wrote this at 3AM
A lot of people use their phones in the bath, just as a lot of people make toast in the bath. :thumbup:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:24 am

Kinokima wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:46 pm I also loved the increase of Vegeta/Bulma moments in Super. There was very little to none in DBZ
Oh my god, this.
I am very irritated how both the manga AND anime dealt with Bulma's transition from Yamcha to Vegeta. Like, okay, if she wants to bang the guy who killed her friends, then sure, but at least give a SHOW US how she fell out with Yamcha instead of just some throwaway "hey homeboy!" or "he was a cheater" types of lines...
I will also give credit to Super for actually showing how the families get along with each other, as well, especially Bulma and Vegeta's. The moment when Bra is one of my favorites.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:43 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:41 pm - Fixed RoF by making it look as funny as possible. The memes we got from them were glorious.
One thing RF did right was improve everything starting with Goku getting shot by Sorbet. Everything from that point on was extremely rushed in the movie, so it was nice seeing those retellings finally fix something from the movies. Vegeta's fight for example was something a lot of fans were looking forward to, only for it to be so short you'd miss it if you blinked. The anime gave Vegeta the fight he deserved against Freeza.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 am

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but another thing Super did perfectly was just all around generating hype.

You can say many things about Super, but you can't say that it was boring while it was airing. There was always so much crazy stuff going on, theories, speculations, mystery, etc.

The best mystery and hype Super created was definitely that around Goku Black, Zamasu, and his whole mysterious identity. I wasn't on this forum back then, but I can imagine there would've been countless theories about Goku Black and how he linked to Zamasu (some theories more crazy than others cough cough Future Goten cough cough).

But I was here during the ToP arc, and I remember there was just so much speculation and theorycrafting going on, whether it was about Jiren's past and motivations, Vegeta's new power-up, Frieza's motives, or the Grand Priest's true intentions. And obviously my favourite theory Future Zeno = Zamasu.

So even if the final product might have been underwhelming in comparison, it's undeniable that the writers of Super did a fantastic job with hyping up the show and just all around keeping people invested with its mysteries and theories.

In fact that's probably why the final episodes of the ToP arc generated so much traffic and popularity. Super just did a wonderful job keeping people invested in its plotline.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:43 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 am I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but another thing Super did perfectly was just all around generating hype.

You can say many things about Super, but you can't say that it was boring while it was airing. There was always so much crazy stuff going on, theories, speculations, mystery, etc.

The best mystery and hype Super created was definitely that around Goku Black, Zamasu, and his whole mysterious identity. I wasn't on this forum back then, but I can imagine there would've been countless theories about Goku Black and how he linked to Zamasu (some theories more crazy than others cough cough Future Goten cough cough).

But I was here during the ToP arc, and I remember there was just so much speculation and theorycrafting going on, whether it was about Jiren's past and motivations, Vegeta's new power-up, Frieza's motives, or the Grand Priest's true intentions. And obviously my favourite theory Future Zeno = Zamasu.

So even if the final product might have been underwhelming in comparison, it's undeniable that the writers of Super did a fantastic job with hyping up the show and just all around keeping people invested with its mysteries and theories.

In fact that's probably why the final episodes of the ToP arc generated so much traffic and popularity. Super just did a wonderful job keeping people invested in its plotline.
That’s way less an accomplishment of Super and more it benefitting from it being new. Because Dragon Ball didn’t come to the West until it was pretty much over in Japan (and completely over by the time Z really really took off on Toonami in the fall of 1998) it was stupid easy for anyone with internet access in the English speaking world to know what was coming

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:28 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 amThe best mystery and hype Super created was definitely that around Goku Black, Zamasu, and his whole mysterious identity. I wasn't on this forum back then, but I can imagine there would've been countless theories about Goku Black and how he linked to Zamasu (some theories more crazy than others cough cough Future Goten cough cough).
Although I've been away for a while, I have to say my fondest memories of posting on this forum are of this right here, I had so much fun speculating on Goku Black's identity and how everything linked together!

There was pretty wild stuff as soon as that first promo image for the arc came out, with Black showing off a Potara and half his face being out of view... is his face half-something that's not human? Is he fusing with multiple different timeline Gokus and that's what the Potara is for? Is he FUTURE GOTEN? (That one was always a favorite of mine to be honest)
Fun times!

But to contribute to the topic more directly, I thoroughly enjoyed Super's anime as a whole (love the manga too but I'm behind on it), and I definitely owe my near-universal "sit back and enjoy the ride" mentality to it, since it was what made me realize I have a lot more fun not trying to critique or analyze things I watch or read

Of course there's nothing at all wrong with doing that, it's just for me personally, Super grabbed me in some ways that made me want to enjoy things for what they are and, most of the time, leave the criticism to others, so to speak

I know this sounds very... consumer-ish? But it's really helped me to appreciate Dragon Ball more in general in my own way! I have so much fun with this and other series despite any issues I might have with them, and I definitely think Super being such a wild ride kickstarted that for me, haha
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:36 am

Anime Kitten wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:28 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 amThe best mystery and hype Super created was definitely that around Goku Black, Zamasu, and his whole mysterious identity. I wasn't on this forum back then, but I can imagine there would've been countless theories about Goku Black and how he linked to Zamasu (some theories more crazy than others cough cough Future Goten cough cough).
Although I've been away for a while, I have to say my fondest memories of posting on this forum are of this right here, I had so much fun speculating on Goku Black's identity and how everything linked together!

There was pretty wild stuff as soon as that first promo image for the arc came out, with Black showing off a Potara and half his face being out of view... is his face half-something that's not human? Is he fusing with multiple different timeline Gokus and that's what the Potara is for? Is he FUTURE GOTEN? (That one was always a favorite of mine to be honest)
Fun times!

But to contribute to the topic more directly, I thoroughly enjoyed Super's anime as a whole (love the manga too but I'm behind on it), and I definitely owe my near-universal "sit back and enjoy the ride" mentality to it, since it was what made me realize I have a lot more fun not trying to critique or analyze things I watch or read

Of course there's nothing at all wrong with doing that, it's just for me personally, Super grabbed me in some ways that made me want to enjoy things for what they are and, most of the time, leave the criticism to others, so to speak

I know this sounds very... consumer-ish? But it's really helped me to appreciate Dragon Ball more in general in my own way! I have so much fun with this and other series despite any issues I might have with them, and I definitely think Super being such a wild ride kickstarted that for me, haha

This kind of posts, I enjoy. It is good to discuss dragon ball Super, the rights and wrongs, the things we like/dislike, the reasons for it, etc; but I also appreciate people just expressing how they felt watching it, not everything has a clear reason. I'm happy you and others enjoyed Super so much.

For me, unfortunately, it's not the same, but that's a story for another time (and thread). I'll just say Dragon Ball is really important to me, and perhaps if Super was the only Dragon Ball anime ever released, I would just think of it as a slightly mediocre, anodine show, with highs and lows (I would not dislike it as much). It does have things I enjoyed, which I will list here:

-Nice ideas. Most of the new concepts they added, were pretty good. Gods of destruction, the multiverse, ssj god, ultra instinct, tournament of power, new abilites like time skip, angels, galactic patrol (I'm aware the galactic patrol was not really introduced in Super though), Super dragon balls, corrupted Shins etc

-More protagonism to secondary characters

-Morally grey villains

-Interesting fights

Those are the ones I can think off of the top of my head. I might eventually write a detailed post with good and bad things, who knows.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:17 am

The hype behind Jiren in the anime and how he was shown.
Roshi and Trunks comming back and kicking asses(anime).
Goku Black and Zamasu(anime).
Hit's character(anime).
Frieza's character(anime).
Broly, Cheelai and Lemo.
Vegeta getting a lot of great moments(anime).