Did Trunks like Gohan more than his own mother?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Did Trunks like Gohan more than his own mother?

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:50 pm

Before you call me crazy, just hear me out on this one. Before Super I didn't think this at all. But in Super I started to wonder if Trunks liked the guy he spent some days with more than his own mother. When Trunks found Gohan's lifeless body, he was so angry and pissed that he turned into a Super Saiyan (also in the Dub he says that Gohan ment everything for him. Not sure if this was also in the sub). Yet when he sees WITH HIS OWN EYES the death of his mother, he doesn't get anywhere near as angry as when Gohan died. Do you think there's a chance that he actually liked Gohan more than Bulma?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Did Trunks like Gohan more than his own mother?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:57 pm

It's because he knew he was fodder compared to Black and he also understood the gravity of the situation. Bulma sacrificed herself to buy Trunks enough time to make a run for the Time machine at Capsule Corps and flee to the Present timeline. He knew he was the only hope for the little ningens and that this was the only way they could win.

You could say staying there would've made Bulma's sacrifice worthless. Remember, Trunks is fodder, they both knew this, that's why they were banking on enlisting the present-day Goku and Vegeta for help. Bulma didn't sacrifice herself because she wanted to give Trunks a power-boost or she hoped he could win. She sacrificed herself because she wanted to buy Trunks enough time to make it to the past.

This all makes Future Trunks beating Fused Zamasu later in the arc so weird when you consider that he was fodder at the beginning, but oh well.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:36 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:50 pm Before you call me crazy, just hear me out on this one. Before Super I didn't think this at all. But in Super I started to wonder if Trunks liked the guy he spent some days with more than his own mother. When Trunks found Gohan's lifeless body, he was so angry and pissed that he turned into a Super Saiyan (also in the Dub he says that Gohan ment everything for him. Not sure if this was also in the sub). Yet when he sees WITH HIS OWN EYES the death of his mother, he doesn't get anywhere near as angry as when Gohan died. Do you think there's a chance that he actually liked Gohan more than Bulma?
Every single version of Present Trunks and Future Trunks in existence do in fact love their very own respective Timelines' versions of Lady Bulma and Son Gohan, but since the people behind absolutely everything related to Dragon Ball Super as a whole like nerfing the absolute Hell of the protagonists and doing the very exact opposite to the antagonists...

All of the different versions of Future Trunks from Dragon Ball Super have been made to look like if they were Full-Blown Beta Male versions of all of the different versions of Future Trunks from the original Dragon Ball Manga, the Dragon Ball Z Anime, Movies, and Specials.

As you can be sure as Hell that if the creators of Dragon Ball Super didn't make absolutely everyone and everything from the original Dragon Ball Manga, the Dragon Ball Anime, the Dragon Ball Movies and Specials, the Dragon Ball Z Anime, the Dragon Ball Z Movies and Specials, and the Dragon Ball GT Anime act so out of character all of the Goddamn time, then Lady Future Bulma and Future Trunks would have done absolutely everything in their power to have went to the version of New Namek from their Timeline and use the Namekian Dragon Balls to have reversed all of the absolute carnage that Future Doctor Maki Gero's creations had caused for so many years.

With Lady Future Bulma and Future Trunks having went by Spaceship merely a matter of a few months or several months since Full Power Super Saiyan Future Trunks would have killed Future Android 18 and Future Android 17.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:13 am

I'd say it's just typical DBS bad writing rather than Trunks not caring for her lol.
If it was late Cell saga Trunks then he would've rushed on Goku Black with rage and kick his ass a bit first.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:25 pm

Not at all. It's because Trunks had enough rationality to get the fuck outta there instead of charging at Black while holding the fragile glass case of HOPE juice in his hands.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:15 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:13 am I'd say it's just typical DBS bad writing rather than Trunks not caring for her lol.
If it was late Cell saga Trunks then he would've rushed on Goku Black with rage and kick his ass a bit first.
This was my first thought too.

But at the same time he knew he needed to get the hell out of there and couldn't let his emotions overcome him.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:23 pm

Well, there's the fact that Trunks is more mature when Bulma's death occurs compared to Gohan's death. He can control his emotions for the sake of survival and hope for the world, remaining conscious that the only thing he'd do is die and waste her sacrifice.

I like how it helps convey his desperation against Goku Black. He would probably like nothing more than to lash out on him, futile as it may be. Saiyans are prone to fits of rage when you hurt/kill their loved ones. But at that moment, he is so powerless in the face of this opponent that it's too dangerous to even try to attack, even the classic Saiyan urge to get instant revenge can't take over his good sense to just keep fleeing for survival.

Imagine a loved one gets crushed by a T-Rex while you were both running away from it. The difference in power is such that you're hardly going to rush on the T-Rex to punch him and say "what did you do?". Some might want to do that with a wild, enraged dog, they were running away and when something bad happens, they might turn back for revenge because the opponent is dangerous but not out of reach. But Trunks VS Goku Black is more like human VS T-Rex: if something bad happens to a loved one, you may scream and cry, but no amount of rage will make you turn around to fight back with your fists in a fit of rage saying "you'll pay for this".
Last edited by Cold Skin on Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:30 pm

Honestly, looking at some of the responses in this thread, I seriously wonder if the people who criticize Super's writing actually watched it.

Bulma's dying words are literally "Trunks... GO. HURRY! LEAVE!"

Of course he's not going to try and fight Black when his mother literally died to cover his retreat and even urged him with her dying breath to flee.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:20 pm

If Goku liked Krillin enough to go Super Saiyan on his death, then that should have happened in the King Piccolo saga.

With that said, I think Trunks should have been more upset at the death of his mother. Or maybe because he had to go back to see her when she was alive (time-travel stuff), it was okay? I'm not sure.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:07 am

He was a kid when Gohan died and a 30 year old man when his mother died.