Change one thing about a Dragon Ball series and make it better

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Change one thing about a Dragon Ball series and make it better

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:10 pm

Disclaimer: Please refrain from "I wouldn't change anything" types of posts since it'll clog up the thread thanks!

Essentially name a series or you can just name the entirety of Dragon Ball as a medium. One moment in either of series you'd alter, or heck even an addition that you think would make it better. But you can only change one thing.

GT: I'd remove Goku and Pan is the lead.
DB/Z: Buff the Z fighters to be more useful.
Super: Remove the god concept and just do Ultra Instinct.
We the ones

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Change one thing about a Dragon Ball series and make it better

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:15 pm

DB - No implying a link between pedophelia and homosexuality
DBZ - stop leaning on taking out Goku to increase tension
GT - Give Pan a clearer coming of age arc
Super - Don't start off with movie retellings
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:33 pm

DB - less tournaments, just it. Everything else was pretty much great.

DBZ - lessen power gap between saiyans and rest of z-fighters and completely remove SSJ2 from existence helping other characters to catch up as well. So pretty much nerf saiyans, that's one thing.

GT - give Pan & Trunks bigger roles in battles, that includes giving Pan a super saiyan or ultimate form and keeping Trunks as a main character after space adventures

DBS - make god ki actually matter instead of being just another power up that doesn't change anything as most antagonists in series didn't even have god ki and could trash Goku and Vegeta anyway
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:57 pm

DB - tone down on Rishi being a pervert

DBZ - improve the pacing (Kai helped to an extent, but was too fast other times like the Saiyan arc)

DBGT - give meaningful arcs for any characters other than Goku

Kai - as said above slower pacing for Saiyan arc, closer to the pacing of the Saban dub

Kai TFC - cut down to around 50 episodes

Super - better production values and time to develop the barebones stories they had
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:05 pm

DB: Less nudity
DBZ: Make the Buu arc shorter and more concise
GT: Make Pan a Super Saiyan
Super: Remove the movie retellings
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:13 pm

DB: Restructure the King Piccolo arc a little so it's not so similur to the Red Ribbon one.

DBZ: Try to have the res of the caste be able to organically be relevant rather then being dumped into the background. Poower Creep and Sayain Time being the biggest things to be altered.

DBGT: Again make the rest of the caste more relevant. Maybe have Goku and Vegeta lead separate teams to hunt the Dragon Balls, have each team have their own main arcs with the other having a b plot.

DBS: Keep the movie retellings and just give the show a better production time so the story can be more streamlined and developed.

Banduck

Post by Banduck » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:27 pm

DB - No Pilaf in the Piccolo Arc.
(He was so out of place in such a serious arc. It would have been much more interesting story-wise if Crane Hermit had "resurrected" Piccolo to take revenge on Roshi and Goku)

DBZ - Gohan should have killed Boo.

DBGT - Goku & Vegeta are still dead. Gohan, Goten and Trunks are the new main characters.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:38 pm

Dragon Ball: shorten the Red Ribbon Army arc by letting its fights happen without a Boss so that the military organization continues to exist in the shadows.

Dragon Ball Z: shorten the Freeza arc by letting the Saiyans' story develop through the past so that its special forces continue to exist without a leader when he dies.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:41 pm

Dragon Ball Z: Get Mike Smith, Scott Morgan, and Julius Dobos back to score the series once again, with better instruments and no arbitrary "wall-to-wall" music requirements.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:42 pm

Desassina wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:38 pm Dragon Ball: shorten the Red Ribbon Army arc by letting its fights happen without a Boss so that the military organization continues to exist in the shadows.

Dragon Ball Z: shorten the Freeza arc by letting the Saiyans' story develop through the past so that its special forces continue to exist without a leader when he dies.
Do you just not like leaders of paramilitary organizations?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:49 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:42 pm
Desassina wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:38 pm Dragon Ball: shorten the Red Ribbon Army arc by letting its fights happen without a Boss so that the military organization continues to exist in the shadows.

In Dragon Ball? I simply wish that they remained without a face, kinda like Metal Gear Solid's The Patriots for the most part, but no AI to materialize them in their place please!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:52 pm

• Dragon Ball •

Less or no tournaments at all. Less nudity. No Muten Roshi's perversion, and he would have a regular lifespan.

• Dragon Ball Z •

Less fillers. No Super Saiyan Second Grade, Super Saiyan Third Grade and Super Saiyan 3. Freeza would have one or two less transformations. Kaio-Ken for some characters, the red-eyed form for Piccolo. No Super Buu. No Ultimate.

• Dragon Ball GT •

No Super 17 saga. No Super Saiyan 4. Pan would have Super Saiyan. Uub would be the protagonist. Other characters would be a lot more relevant. Better use of the Shadow Dragons. Expand upon Baby's and Tsufurujins' backstory.

• Dragon Ball Super •

No tournaments. No retellings. No recolors. Ultra Instinct -Sign- would be the actual Ultra Instinct. The gods would have similar aura when using Ultra Instinct. Characters would have their proper personalities. Daishinkan would be Zeno.

• Dragon Ball Online •

Cutscenes for the end of the series, showing what everyone ended up doing in their lives post-manga. Also for all the other major events.

Off the top of my head, these are the changes I would make.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:02 pm

Desassina wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:49 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:42 pm

In Dragon Ball? I simply wish that they remained without a face, kinda like Metal Gear Solid's The Patriots for the most part, but no AI to materialize them in their place please!
Good luck getting people to work together and have any sort of cohesive direction without a leader. Like I don't see how those ideas improve Dragon Ball. I get that you like them but how do they improve the story?

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:16 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:02 pmGood luck getting people to work together and have any sort of cohesive direction without a leader. Like I don't see how those ideas improve Dragon Ball. I get that you like them but how do they improve the story?
You have pin pointed the exact problem that I have with the lack of an organization. Goku killed them all, and a scientist was the only tie to the Red Ribbon Army, who managed to do more than an entire military group. I wanted it to remain as a constant threat and to participate in other arcs. I can see the bait towards political discussion, but I'm not taking it. This is only about Dragon Ball.

Edit: in any case, mine was a worthless suggestion, made to say that I did not want to sit through the Red Ribbon Arc in its entirety, and perhaps it could help if most fights happened as hired ones without Goku taking on the leaders.
Last edited by Desassina on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:25 pm

Desassina wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:16 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:02 pmGood luck getting people to work together and have any sort of cohesive direction without a leader. Like I don't see how those ideas improve Dragon Ball. I get that you like them but how do they improve the story?
You have pin pointed the exact problem that I have with the lack of an organization. Goku killed them all, and a scientist was the only tie to the Red Ribbon Army, who managed to do more than an entire military group. I wanted it to remain as a constant threat and to participate in other arcs. I can see the bait towards political discussion, but I'm not taking it. This is only about Dragon Ball.
That bait's in your head. I wasn't even thinking that. This just felt like an odd improvement. Did Dr. Gero really do more than the entire RRA? He ultimately got nowhere. Goku died but came back. The RRA was so powerful even the world gov't didn't do anything. And I think after seeing Freeza stick around, that would dissuade anyone from believing a constant antagonist instead of one and dones was the way to go.

That would be a way to improve Super - get rid of Freeza. No Saturday Morning Cartoon villains.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:45 pm

Keep Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaozu. Really, let minor characters stay dead. Have Piccolo die during the Cell arc in place of #16 (his only death in the series). Have Gokuu die in the battle against Majin Buu by being absorbed and Gohan having to face his Majin Buu using his father's power.

Also, don't make Gokuu a complete parody of aromantics. Either let him be romantic or at least make it clear he is aro but not unaware of the concept.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:45 pm Keep Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaozu dead. Really, let minor characters stay dead. Have Piccolo die during the Cell arc in place of #16 (his only death in the series). Have Gokuu die in the battle against Majin Buu by being absorbed and Gohan having to face his Majin Buu using his father's power.

Also, don't make Gokuu a complete parody of aromantics. Either let him be romantic or at least make it clear he is aro but not unaware of the concept.
I think you meant it this way girl.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:18 pm

GT- Give Pan more to do besides being a damsel in distress for half the series, have a better ending for Goku
Z-Give Videl more to do, actually show Mr Popo getting all the Dragon Balls and give Chi-Chi more of a character besides "Angry concerned wife and mother". Get rid of that pointless filler with the Ginyu Force coming to King Kai's home and Captain Ginyu body-switching with Bulma.
DB- Lose the problematic gay stereotypes
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:12 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:16 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:45 pm Keep Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaozu dead. Really, let minor characters stay dead. Have Piccolo die during the Cell arc in place of #16 (his only death in the series). Have Gokuu die in the battle against Majin Buu by being absorbed and Gohan having to face his Majin Buu using his father's power.

I think you meant it this way girl.
This is what I get for posting on mobile.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:55 pm

DB - get rid of all the uncomfortable perverted stuff with Roshi and others (side note: I can't believe people are saying less tournaments. I think all my favourite arcs of this era are the tournaments)

DBZ - I'd probably like a larger restructuring of the android/cell arc to be something more cohesive, maybe with more involvement of Goku

GT - I don't like GT at all enough to want to change just 1 thing, but I'd probably go with completely change how Pan is written (ie not as a short tempered Bulma wannabe and damsel in distress)

Super - I would love a complete overhaul to the amount of new transformations this era brought. Just having Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan God and (eventually) ultra instinct would be fine. No Blue, SSBe, omen, saiyan beyond god, SSB kaioken (though the manga use of this was fine for me)