GT and misogyny

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: GT and misogyny

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:36 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:34 amSo you're mis-gendering people now?
He's mis-gendering himself, as wearing a wig doesn't make him a woman, but it clearly allows him to get away with far more than me or you. That's a fact, whether we like it or not.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:49 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:59 am Well, what's 'writing the men all out' when a whole story arc or episode to a girl could last months if not years?

Besides, it's good for cis men to learn to emphasize with women and see them as more than just tits and ass. Society asks the many marginalized genders to consume cis male aimed media as the default and norm, why not flip that around and break the cycle of toxic masculinity.
Yeah, because labeling all "cis men" as people that don't emphasize with women at all isn't inherently insulting to a very large group of people. For someone asking for sympathy you're sure going about it the wrong way.

"Society" makes what sells. It's that simple. If enough people like and watch a show it gets renewed. If not enough people watch it, it gets cancelled.

Besides, there's such a thing as a target audience. Since DB is a Shonen, it's target audience consists of male boys. Focusing on a girl arc for months would not work as well. Same as with a Shoujo anime suddenly flipping a switch and focusing on males.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:58 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:36 am
He's mis-gendering himself, as wearing a wig doesn't make him a woman, but it clearly allows him to get away with far more than me or you. That's a fact, whether we like it or not.
Regardless I'm fairly sure dead-gendering someone is against the rules here, not to mention grossly inconsiderate, hence why it's against the rules.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:47 am

How the fuck would you know shes misgendering herself?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:04 am

Y'all aren't going to logic this guy out of a position he obviously didn't logic himself into. I recommend ignoring and reporting. He can go whine on gab or something about getting "cancelled".

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:02 am

And to think I wanted to defend you before this! Enjoy the ban asshole.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:49 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:19 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:59 amSociety asks the many marginalized genders to consume cis male aimed media as the default and norm, why not flip that around and break the cycle of toxic masculinity.
You keep talking about toxic masculinity yet you're by far the most toxic dude on this site. I guess if others here pretended to be women they'd be allowed to be just as toxic you are.
Don't let the doorknob hit you on the ass.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:01 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:02 am
And to think I wanted to defend you before this! Enjoy the ban asshole.
Please don't insult other users. Thank you
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:49 am
Matches Malone wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:19 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:59 amSociety asks the many marginalized genders to consume cis male aimed media as the default and norm, why not flip that around and break the cycle of toxic masculinity.
You keep talking about toxic masculinity yet you're by far the most toxic dude on this site. I guess if others here pretended to be women they'd be allowed to be just as toxic you are.
Don't let the doorknob hit you on the ass.
Let's keep it civil.

on-topic
While I still stand by that DB as a Shounen series doesn't need to change the focus to a female group, they could of course make a spinoff. Actually I'm surprised that with so many characters we haven't gotten that many spinoffs yet. The Yamcha-manga was a very interesting example on how this could work. Heck, they could do an entire manga series with a similar premise but other characters.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:12 am

Damn, this is a hell of a way to wake up.

Anyway, here's a selfie that makes me feel like a bad bitch. No makeup since I wear a mask all day.

https://i.imgur.com/zIVFjAs.jpg

Estrogen is magic.
💜💜💜❤❤❤💜💜💜
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:27 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:55 pm
BWri wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:16 pm Since I've only loosely engaged with the topic before (apologies to the TC by the way), do you all think there would be backlash if Dragon Ball ever had a cast that consisted of female fighters as the main focus? Do you think that'd be something Toriyama-san would be interested in if the idea was ever presented to him? I noticed some of his previous projects have had female leads.
Oh definitely, there's a huge portion of the fanbase who consider Dragon Ball Z to be very masculine and MANime and would flip THE FUCK out if the fighting cast were to be all women.
Dragon Ball Z was created during a time when females didn't get much representation in shonen (although shonen was becoming more popular with females).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:47 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:27 am
KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:55 pm
BWri wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:16 pm Since I've only loosely engaged with the topic before (apologies to the TC by the way), do you all think there would be backlash if Dragon Ball ever had a cast that consisted of female fighters as the main focus? Do you think that'd be something Toriyama-san would be interested in if the idea was ever presented to him? I noticed some of his previous projects have had female leads.
Oh definitely, there's a huge portion of the fanbase who consider Dragon Ball Z to be very masculine and MANime and would flip THE FUCK out if the fighting cast were to be all women.
Dragon Ball Z was created during a time when females didn't get much representation in shonen (although shonen was becoming more popular with females).
Oh definitely. Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware there are lots of women who love Dragon Ball and would love to have some stories that better represent them!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:48 am

Violent comic battles? Actually very popular among us women. 💜

(Also, some of us want to see the hot guys fuck).
She/Her
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:13 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:36 am He's mis-gendering himself, as wearing a wig doesn't make him a woman, but it clearly allows him to get away with far more than me or you. That's a fact, whether we like it or not.
I'd argue you're free to engage in debate about the fairness of applicability of rules in a forum, but using hateful, transphobic rhetoric to make that "point" is absolutely disgusting and extremely painful to read. That's not okay. Ever.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:15 am

I’m starting to believe that I made a terrible mistake when making this thread.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:31 am

I wouldn't say so Witty.

If anything, this is a topic the fandom's needed to have a reckoning with for a while now.

There's always going to be assholes that expose themselves whenever topics like this come up. That's life. Doesn't mean these topics don't warrant discussion.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:57 am

Yeah, it definitely sucks how much misogyny and transphobia exists in fandom spaces. Dragon Ball isn't the only fandom that suffers from this bullshit but since it's the one where I'm most active it definitely stands out a lot to me and has really underscored how I'm not the same person with the same priorities I used to be and used to have. Fandom is supposed to be fun but the internet really isn't a great place to have that fun, I find.

Anyway, I didn't get much sleep last night and I also don't really have anything new to add to the topic of "GT and misogyny" since I really don't like repeating myself.

As such, I'll just leave this post with this: be cool, stay in school.
She/Her
bisexual milf

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:49 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:04 am Y'all aren't going to logic this guy out of a position he obviously didn't logic himself into. I recommend ignoring and reporting. He can go whine on gab or something about getting "cancelled".
Report and move on, indeed.

(The playbook for this is generally that they immediately email and demand to know which specific rule they've broken, why they were not informed, and to be reinstated. If we’re REAL lucky, they cite free speech. Once they don't receive a reply, they go to their next-preferred discussion board, where they fabricate a story about how they're being personally targeted and how Kanzenshuu has truly turned a corner into irrelevance. In the meantime, they send more emails and add on social media messages. Sometimes they send it to other staff members as well as the @kanzenshuu account, as if they're going to talk to my manager and get me in trouble.)
Jord wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:49 am Besides, there's such a thing as a target audience. Since DB is a Shonen, it's target audience consists of male boys. Focusing on a girl arc for months would not work as well. Same as with a Shoujo anime suddenly flipping a switch and focusing on males.
Dragon Ball came at a time when Jump's demographic was shifting to a fairly even split due in part to the editorial oversight, their experience, and their guidance. I would recommend you check out the "Neo-Shonen" article we asked Daryl Surat to write in our 30th anniversary fanzine. It's not as a simple or or reductivist as "focusing on a girl arc"; there's some real interesting insight and granularity to how things were constructed.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:57 pm

Remember how shoujo comics editor Kondou Yuu took over as the second editor for Dragon Ball, raising its popularity to new heights for the Saiyan, Namek and the first two-thirds of the Artificial Humans arc? Sounds like an appeal to women if I've ever heard one. ♥
She/Her
bisexual milf

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:58 pm

Yep, that’s something addressed in the article I just linked! 😂
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:58 pm Yep, that’s something addressed in the article I just linked! 😂
I swear to gosh, I had the idea from remembering the Daizenshuu before I read the article! >_<
She/Her
bisexual milf