Lets stop Asian hate - what can we do?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Lets stop Asian hate - what can we do?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:47 pm

derpytacos wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:07 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:30 pm
precita wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:14 pm
At least be glad things are somewhat better now than it was even back in the early 2000's.
That is incredibly debatable. I would say racism against minorities has actually been worse since 2016 than it was in the early 2000s. And it was hardly sunshine and roses back then.
Yeah no... only a white person would think its worse today than back then. Sure the online racists may be *louder* than back then. But irl my family and I and well most every minority that I talk to about then would pick today over the 90s and early 2000s 10/10 times.

I know its a "millennial sin" to speak ill of the glorious "90's"(which cultrually lasted until roughly 2004), but to be blunt it was only a good time for middle class+, straight, cis, white people. for pretty much everyone else it was pretty fuckin shitty. Especially if you were lower middle class or worse, which most of us were back then. Yeah trumpers may be loud today, but so are the anti-racists(for the first time in pretty much ever)
Well i certainly didn’t say it was some magically progressive time back in the 90s/early 2000s

But you’re right a lot of it is just online making it more apparent to people like myself who don’t have to deal with racism first hand and I am sorry.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:58 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:13 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:09 pm
Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:35 pm

Early 2000s had all the racial issues stemming from the 90s lingering on. It was definitely far worse. It was just less visible because compared to then, information travels so rapidly today.

Also, issues today are just blown way out of proportion, making them seem like a much bigger issue than they really are.
Try telling that to the minorities and LGBTQ receiving heaps of abuse. Somehow I don't see that going too well for you.
I am a minority. And I do call out my personal friends who play the race card.
Considering the racist history the term "race card" has, I wouldn't use it so casually if I were you:https://www.thegoodtrade.com/features/h ... etter-ally
Also being a minority yourself does not mean you are incapable of racism, the existence of vile cretins like Candace Owens, Diamond and Silk and Dinesh D'Souza is proof enough of that.
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:37 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:09 pm Try telling that to the minorities and LGBTQ receiving heaps of abuse. Somehow I don't see that going too well for you.
At least in my State, I really would have to agree that it's blown out of proportion. I mean, aside from certain hicks hating anyone L, G, B, T, Q, or the ones who fall under the + sign so as to not make the acronym too long to remember, there really isn't much hatred. And even the hicks who aren't okay with LGBTQ+, are perfectly fine with other "races" (I find such terms to be a silly, aritificial thing). The only racist people I've ever seen in real life are people from out of state. One white-skinned pastor and one black-skinned coworker. So I suppose "blown out of proportion" might not apply in the areas those two were from, but there are definately parts of the United States where it IS blown out of proportion, I'd say. In general, I'd say no would dare even think anything racist here, out of fear, since racists would be the minority. The exception being some cranky old guys who haven't died yet. But LGBTQ+ probably still gets plenty of harrassment. More or less, depending on your letter. But also on your personality, which a lot of bad people like to dismiss as "racist", "sexist", "sexualityist", etc, becuz they refuse to believe it could be their shitty personality that others don't like. I've met some gay guys like that. They're out there making me look bad! D:

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:13 pm I am a minority. And I do call out my personal friends who play the race card.
Good. Don't let them make you look bad! :0
No offense but you come off as a bit naive here, just because you've never personally witnessed hate does not mean it does not exist in your state. Not all hatred is obvious shit like KKK members burning crosses, sometimes racism is way more subtle and structural in nature like denying someone a loan just because of their race or a security guard only following minorities around the store.

Chances are anyone saying racism is "blown out of proportion" is someone who has never experienced any real hardship in their entire life.

https://www.seattlemag.com/article/refl ... sm-seattle

What do you mean by "personality"? Do you mean by celebrating their sexuality publicly and not backing down when they get harassed in public? Because I see nothing wrong with that, frankly the people with the worst personalities i've come across have almost all been straight white guys.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:37 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:58 pmChances are anyone saying racism is "blown out of proportion" is someone who has never experienced any real hardship in their entire life.
You forget the people who have experienced it but have been indoctrinated to refuse to accept it. I know a black guy who thinks that racism was over in America in the 60s, and whenever he's shown statistics about police brutality and such he always finds some other way to explain them.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:07 pm

Considering we just had the "Black lives matter" movement last year because police can't stop shooting black people for no reason, I'm kinda shocked people are actually debating this.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:18 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:29 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:51 pm I hate how the United States never wants to ban racism. Meanwhile other countries have a no racism law (As seen with Germany). People in America treat being racist is okay as long if you are not hurting anyone when that is wrong. Racism hurts people even if it's not physical.
That would have to mean overruling the First Amendment. That would not end well in the slightest. Racism is stupid, but people have a right to be stupid, as long as they’re not being violent about it.
That still does not make it right. It's like saying "It's okay for someone to be pedo if they are not hurting someone". Racism allows people to become more violent and dangerous. No one wants to do anything serious with the Alt-Right like they do with Islamic terrorists. The Alt-Right has a bigger crime rate in America than any Islamic terrorists do. People are still scared of a Muslim yelling out "Allahu Akbar" than a Skin Head that is going to shoot up people. As long if you are csi, white, Christian, conservative and straight, people will give you almost a free pass for anything because of white privilege.

Also, if countries can do a better job on fighting racism, why can't America? I think it is bullshit that we are still listing to old rules that created by racist white people from nearly 250 years old. America is not the same as they were back then (So fuck the Constitution).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:21 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:58 pm
Considering the racist history the term "race card" has, I wouldn't use it so casually if I were you:https://www.thegoodtrade.com/features/h ... etter-ally
Also being a minority yourself does not mean you are incapable of racism, the existence of vile cretins like Candace Owens, Diamond and Silk and Dinesh D'Souza is proof enough of that.
I'm not using it casually. But I know the race card when I see it.

I dunno who the last two people are, but Candace Owens isn't racist. She's just not politically correct.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:26 pm

precita wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:07 pm Considering we just had the "Black lives matter" movement last year because police can't stop shooting black people for no reason, I'm kinda shocked people are actually debating this.
Black people aren't the only victims of police brutality. It's generally difficult distinguishing an abusive cop who is being racist, vs an abusive cop who's on a power trip/is simply being an asshole.
Last edited by Melee_Sovereign on Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:31 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:37 pm
Good. Don't let them make you look bad! :0
It's so obnoxious, dude. I have a friend who's the same race as me. One of his favorite things to do is walk in on me watching a TV show and be like "this show has no black people smh" even though he only took a couple of seconds to actually watch the show. I'm like, dude, you're not helping the problem at all. You're just stirring up drama and controversy.

It's like people desperately want to maintain their victim mentality. There's power in it I guess. People like Al Sharpton make a living off of doing this BS.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:37 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:18 pm Also, if countries can do a better job on fighting racism, why can't America? I think it is bullshit that we are still listing to old rules that created by racist white people from nearly 250 years old. America is not the same as they were back then (So fuck the Constitution).
Because you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The idea of the constitution is to limit government action to protecting individual rights. The problem isn't the idea it's the inconsistent application of that idea. We may not be the same but our fundamental needs (e.g. the ability to express our ideas without fear of being locked up or killed because the government disagrees) don't. So what is it about "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances" you disagree with?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:58 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:58 pm No offense but you come off as a bit naive here, just because you've never personally witnessed hate does not mean it does not exist in your state. Not all hatred is obvious shit like KKK members burning crosses, sometimes racism is way more subtle and structural in nature like denying someone a loan just because of their race or a security guard only following minorities around the store.

Chances are anyone saying racism is "blown out of proportion" is someone who has never experienced any real hardship in their entire life.

What do you mean by "personality"? Do you mean by celebrating their sexuality publicly and not backing down when they get harassed in public? Because I see nothing wrong with that, frankly the people with the worst personalities i've come across have almost all been straight white guys.
Naïve on the subject? You speak as if I don't have and didn't grow up with African-decended family and Asian-decended best friends. I might not know everything that ever happens, but I'm not completely out of the loop. I care about my friends and family, and more importantly, I care about all people. So I do pay attention to this kind of stuff. Now, my uncle does seem to think things are racist toward him when they aren't (No, Uncle, they didn't fabricate bad gasoline to give to you becuz of your skin color. Your boat stopped working cuz your wife accidentally drove it into it into the shallow area.), but everyone else is pretty much in agreement there's never really been any racism toward them. But I suppose it's possible they all just got lucky, or maybe they just all happen to not be people who think negatively and jump to conclusions. My uncle is a negative thinker unfortunately. But Washington was a very racist place when he was growing up. It's hard to break away from that. Like how a person who's cheated on has trouble trusting future partners.

Saying that a security guard keeping an eye out for a specific "race" is "racism" is a big jump from what would otherwise be called "stereotyping", which isn't racist. That particular security guard could be racist in this scenario, but there's nothing to go on that proves hatred is the cause. Doesn't make it right, but it's not fair to call something it's not, or to assume negative things so unnecisarily.

After reading thru that link, I don't see your point. All I got from it was that there are apparently some (probably old) African-decended Seattlites who are racist and like to complain that they're not seperate enough from "the white people", and seemingly about their youth not being "Black" enough. Like when people say "You're not a REAL Black person!". But that's just racist, mean, and stupid. Let people be who they want to be. I've seen all the hatred people like Raven-Symoné got from "the Black community" for trying to be herself... Just stop it, old people... :/

Calm down. By "personality", I mean "personality". As in, if they have a bad one (I.E. being a jerk), then they're bad regardless of their gender/sexuality/"race". I've NEVER been harrassed in public, unless you count people coming up to me and the guy I'm with to tell us how happy it made them, or how awesome it is, to see us holding hands in public, since at the time, I think it was less common. This was over ten years ago.

And.. I'm pretty sure those "straight white guys" you dislike so much are actually "bi white guys". One of my best friends is one of those. So super-hardcore Christian that he can't even admit that he likes guys...except for slightly, that one time he had to admit to me that the anti-gay stuff he said was toward himself, not toward me. The anger is usually from people who are either angry at themselves and are taking it out on others, or angry at others for not being angry at themselves (they TRULY believe it to be a bad thing...). And all those "straight" people who say "being gay is a choice"? Well, they're bi...and they think that by "chosing who they have sex with" they're "choosing their sexuality", which obviously is silly. But in addition to that, they think that all others are like them in that regard, so they think that "gay people" are like them except that they choose the opposite side. I actually feel more mad about that for the actual straight people that those in-denial bi's are making look bad. But even more-so, I just feel really bad for them... That one friend I mentioned is FAR from the only in-denial bi-guy I've been friends with. They come out to me, and then the next day tell me they lied. Again, and again... They join the Marines in hopes that they die becuz that's what they think they deserve...... All this just makes me want to cry. No-one shoud be their own worst enemy...

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:31 pm It's so obnoxious, dude. I have a friend who's the same race as me. One of his favorite things to do is walk in on me watching a TV show and be like "this show has no black people smh" even though he only took a couple of seconds to actually watch the show. I'm like, dude, you're not helping the problem at all. You're just stirring up drama and controversy.

It's like people desperately want to maintain their victim mentality. There's power in it I guess. People like Al Sharpton make a living off of doing this BS.
Yeah, I hear my uncle does that stuff (the victim mentality) at work to get out of doin stuff he doesn't want to do. But then again, that's just everyone at Boeing, being as lazy as possible. I'm glad I don't have to work there anymore. I can't handle being the only one who tries, and having to fix everyone else's laziness. No more... D':

But you're right. Stiring up racial drama for shits and giggles needs to stop. Everyone just needs to do their part to take one little step each day to cut that stuff out of their life. Like Morgan Freeman said: "Stop talking about it. I’m going to stop calling you a white man. And I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman. You’re not going to say, ‘I know this white guy named Mike Wallace'.". It's only a man-made categorization anyway. Each person is uniquely themselves, and their name is the most important means to distinguish between them and others. Race can be a helpful categorization, but it's not being used in a very helpful way lately...
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:54 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:18 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:29 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:51 pm I hate how the United States never wants to ban racism. Meanwhile other countries have a no racism law (As seen with Germany). People in America treat being racist is okay as long if you are not hurting anyone when that is wrong. Racism hurts people even if it's not physical.
That would have to mean overruling the First Amendment. That would not end well in the slightest. Racism is stupid, but people have a right to be stupid, as long as they’re not being violent about it.
That still does not make it right. It's like saying "It's okay for someone to be pedo if they are not hurting someone". Racism allows people to become more violent and dangerous. No one wants to do anything serious with the Alt-Right like they do with Islamic terrorists. The Alt-Right has a bigger crime rate in America than any Islamic terrorists do. People are still scared of a Muslim yelling out "Allahu Akbar" than a Skin Head that is going to shoot up people. As long if you are csi, white, Christian, conservative and straight, people will give you almost a free pass for anything because of white privilege.

Also, if countries can do a better job on fighting racism, why can't America? I think it is bullshit that we are still listing to old rules that created by racist white people from nearly 250 years old. America is not the same as they were back then (So fuck the Constitution).
If we start arresting people for thought crimes, then where exactly would it end? That would be a very dangerous slippery slope. There’s nothing wrong with the First Amendment. The whole reason it exists is so America wouldn’t be a totalitarian regime. In a free country, people should be allowed to express their views without fear of government retaliation, even if their views are absolutely vile.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:49 pm

Turns out "naïve" was putting it mildly, linkdude20002001. And it's interesting that you also have that Morgan Freeman quote in your head. It's been inside my head for a number of years too, except whenever I happen to think about it, it's more like "What the fuck, Morgan Freeman??".

Anyways, what can be done about Asian hate? Maybe use Dragon Ball and anime/manga as a stepping stone into exploring Asian history and culture. Whether it's studying the Japanese language or reading up on the history of Asia and her peoples including those around the world such as in the United States.

Be politically active and "vote Asian" at the ballot box. That goes from top to bottom. What's your local school board doing about Asian-American studies in its curriculum?

Join organizations that revolve around Asian-American interests, or start your own. And support Asian owned businesses.

Don't put up with the day to day bullshit. If you see anti-Asian bigotry or racism at play, call it out. Tell Granny if she don't like your Asian girlfriend then there's the door, be careful at the bus stop after dark.

And another good way to support Asians is by supporting all non-Whites and minorities, recognizing the common challenges we face and joining together to fight them whenever possible.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:55 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:07 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:11 pm
No it really isn't. The ideals of freedom of speech are meant to strengthen humanity with new ideas and the ability to empathize with other people. How exactly does racism and hate speech achieve this?
Because determining whether new ideas are good or bad, requires rational discourse. If an idea is bad, it needs to be contended with rationally, through serious and critical discussion. It needs to be picked apart through logic and reasoning. Shutting out the bad idea through law is not doing that. It's sweeping it under the rug and ignoring it.

The best way to get rid of a bad idea is to logically pick it apart. You have no chance of doing that by simply making it illegal.

Freedom of Speech means you have to take the good with the bad.

The First Amendment has been perverted to become this idea that everything is up for grabs, where I can believe whatever I want with little regards to facts and anything can be said with little to no accountability. We live in a world with a sizable portion of the population believes that the world is flat, that 5G causes the corona virus, and that vaccinations are the work of the devil to turn people into chaemeras. None of that is helpful for a healthy democracy. And let's not pretend that rapid disinformation does not cause violence, or is a violence unto itself. The Capital Riots prove that.
The thing is, you can't control beliefs with law. If you make believing in Flat Earth illegal, that doesn't stop people from believing it. That just stops them from expressing their belief out loud.

It's much better to allow the false belief to have a space to be spoken about, so it can be contended to with logic and facts.

Would you rather have a lot of closet racists in a nation where racist speech is illegal, or would you rather know who the racists are, because it IS legal, and you have a chance to contend with it through logic and reasoning?

Also: Hate speech is not protected by the constitution.
If it's an actual threat, no it's not. Violent threats themselves are illegal. If it's just "I hate x type of people" it is protected.
Except rational discourse can’t exist if people can hide behind echo chambers where any discourse is shut out. You can talk about free speech all you want but you have to talk about it within the context of an environment in which social media is ever present. Algorithms ensure that extreme and emotional beats out rationality every time, and people can hide in forums and groups in which all discourse is hyper partisan. How can there be any sort of rational discussion in that environment?

The fact that you think racism can be dealt with logic tells me you misunderstand why people are racist in the first place.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:51 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:55 pm
The fact that you think racism can be dealt with logic tells me you misunderstand why people are racist in the first place.
Daryl Davis is direct proof that it can be dealt with logic and civil discourse. He's an African American who literally befriended several KKK members and convinced virtually all of them to leave the clan. People are racist in the first place generally because they're ignorant, and they're brought up to be that way. They don't know anything else. If their thoughts became illegal, then they would just continue to have those thoughts covertly, preventing people like Daryl Davis to build bridges and showing these people the light.

Except rational discourse can’t exist if people can hide behind echo chambers where any discourse is shut out.
It can't exist without freedom of speech.

Algorithms ensure that extreme and emotional beats out rationality every time
You can thank far-leftist propaganda for that. The same propaganda that fancies itself beacons of morality and anti-racism so they can stay relevant and in business. So how about stop falling for it?

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:30 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:21 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:58 pm
I'm not using it casually. But I know the race card when I see it.

I dunno who the last two people are, but Candace Owens isn't racist. She's just not politically correct.
Owens not racist? :lol: That's a good one, spare me the "she's not PC" defense, it's total bullcrap.

She's racist as hell:https://www.foxnews.com/media/candace-o ... themselves

Also no most racism isn't out of ignorance, that's a myth. Most bigots know they are full of crap but simply don't care, and no amount of reasoning with them is going to convince them to change their mind. It's not the job of minorities to waste time and effort on people that hate their guts and literally want them dead(why do you think all those red states didn't bother implementing much in the way of lockdown efforts once studies showed the people dying from COVID were overwhelmingly black?).

Also can't take anyone seriously who unironically uses alt-right terms like "victim mentality", that shows that you are not posting here in good faith.
Last edited by Planetnamek on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:32 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:58 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:58 pm No offense but you come off as a bit naive here, just because you've never personally witnessed hate does not mean it does not exist in your state. Not all hatred is obvious shit like KKK members burning crosses, sometimes racism is way more subtle and structural in nature like denying someone a loan just because of their race or a security guard only following minorities around the store.

Naïve on the subject? You speak as if I don't have and didn't grow up with African-decended family and Asian-decended best friends. I might not know everything that ever happens, but I'm not completely out of the loop. I care about my friends and family, and more importantly, I care about all people. So I do pay attention to this kind of stuff. Now, my uncle does seem to think things are racist toward him when they aren't (No, Uncle, they didn't fabricate bad gasoline to give to you becuz of your skin color. Your boat stopped working cuz your wife accidentally drove it into it into the shallow area.), but everyone else is pretty much in agreement there's never really been any racism toward them. But I suppose it's possible they all just got lucky, or maybe they just all happen to not be people who think negatively and jump to conclusions. My uncle is a negative thinker unfortunately. But Washington was a very racist place when he was growing up. It's hard to break away from that. Like how a person who's cheated on has trouble trusting future partners.

Saying that a security guard keeping an eye out for a specific "race" is "racism" is a big jump from what would otherwise be called "stereotyping", which isn't racist. That particular security guard could be racist in this scenario, but there's nothing to go on that proves hatred is the cause. Doesn't make it right, but it's not fair to call something it's not, or to assume negative things so unnecisarily.

After reading thru that link, I don't see your point. All I got from it was that there are apparently some (probably old) African-decended Seattlites who are racist and like to complain that they're not seperate enough from "the white people", and seemingly about their youth not being "Black" enough. Like when people say "You're not a REAL Black person!". But that's just racist, mean, and stupid. Let people be who they want to be. I've seen all the hatred people like Raven-Symoné got from "the Black community" for trying to be herself... Just stop it, old people... :/

Calm down. By "personality", I mean "personality". As in, if they have a bad one (I.E. being a jerk), then they're bad regardless of their gender/sexuality/"race". I've NEVER been harrassed in public, unless you count people coming up to me and the guy I'm with to tell us how happy it made them, or how awesome it is, to see us holding hands in public, since at the time, I think it was less common. This was over ten years ago.

And.. I'm pretty sure those "straight white guys" you dislike so much are actually "bi white guys". One of my best friends is one of those. So super-hardcore Christian that he can't even admit that he likes guys...except for slightly, that one time he had to admit to me that the anti-gay stuff he said was toward himself, not toward me. The anger is usually from people who are either angry at themselves and are taking it out on others, or angry at others for not being angry at themselves (they TRULY believe it to be a bad thing...). And all those "straight" people who say "being gay is a choice"? Well, they're bi...and they think that by "chosing who they have sex with" they're "choosing their sexuality", which obviously is silly. But in addition to that, they think that all others are like them in that regard, so they think that "gay people" are like them except that they choose the opposite side. I actually feel more mad about that for the actual straight people that those in-denial bi's are making look bad. But even more-so, I just feel really bad for them... That one friend I mentioned is FAR from the only in-denial bi-guy I've been friends with. They come out to me, and then the next day tell me they lied. Again, and again... They join the Marines in hopes that they die becuz that's what they think they deserve...... All this just makes me want to cry. No-one shoud be their own worst enemy...

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:31 pm It's so obnoxious, dude. I have a friend who's the same race as me. One of his favorite things to do is walk in on me watching a TV show and be like "this show has no black people smh" even though he only took a couple of seconds to actually watch the show. I'm like, dude, you're not helping the problem at all. You're just stirring up drama and controversy.

Yeah, I hear my uncle does that stuff (the victim mentality) at work to get out of doin stuff he doesn't want to do. But then again, that's just everyone at Boeing, being as lazy as possible. I'm glad I don't have to work there anymore. I can't handle being the only one who tries, and having to fix everyone else's laziness. No more... D':

But you're right. Stiring up racial drama for shits and giggles needs to stop. Everyone just needs to do their part to take one little step each day to cut that stuff out of their life. Like Morgan Freeman said: "Stop talking about it. I’m going to stop calling you a white man. And I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman. You’re not going to say, ‘I know this white guy named Mike Wallace'.". It's only a man-made categorization anyway. Each person is uniquely themselves, and their name is the most important means to distinguish between them and others. Race can be a helpful categorization, but it's not being used in a very helpful way lately...
Um stereotyping IS racist, you arguing that it's not shows you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. You seem to be incapable of looking outside your own bubble, just because the people you know think racism does not exist where you live does not automatically it doesn't, that's not very good logic at all.

The only one stirring up drama here right now is you.

A lot of black folks have criticized Freeman for those remarks, so not a great example.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:55 pm

Not that I agree with melee in any way shape or form, but considering he directed that "stirring up drama" quote to his unnamed friend...I'd say it's quite the opposite. You're stirring it up.4

You keep consistently doing this thing in every thread where if anybody uses rhetoric even adjacent to something an alt-right person hammers home, you just lump them in with them, assume their intentions, and shove words in their mouth. Nah. I can't think of a better bit of evidence of being too exposed to echo chambers than going 0 to 100 off of keywords.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:13 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:55 pm Not that I agree with melee in any way shape or form, but considering he directed that "stirring up drama" quote to his unnamed friend...I'd say it's quite the opposite. You're stirring it up.4

You keep consistently doing this thing in every thread where if anybody uses rhetoric even adjacent to something an alt-right person hammers home, you just lump them in with them, assume their intentions, and shove words in their mouth. Nah. I can't think of a better bit of evidence of being too exposed to echo chambers than going 0 to 100 off of keywords.

Fair enough that he was referring to someone else, but still when you've seen as many alt-right trolls online as I have you learn to pick up when people aren't arguing in good faith. Every single person i've come across online that used terms like "victim mentality" unironically had ignorant beliefs so I have little reason to believe this case is any different.

So I respectfully disagree that me calling out someone for using bogus terms somehow equates to me stirring up drama or going from 0 to 100(as i'm not the one complaining about "far left propaganda" out of nowhere), that's not true in the slightest.

I do this consistently because i've seen what happens when this kind of frankly dangerous rhetoric goes completely unchallenged, if I see someone making ignorant statements like that, I will call them out every single time because I refuse to let that kind of crap just fester. That's my way of pushing back against hate.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:34 am

Fair enough. But I think it's a tight rope to balance.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:39 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:34 am Fair enough. But I think it's a tight rope to balance.
Yeah it's definitely not always easy to tell when someone is arguing in bad faith or if they genuinely don't know. I've certainly made mistakes in the past myself(I unironically used the term "reverse racism" online over a decade ago and i'm not proud of it) so I try to be understanding when I can.

To get this back on topic, Toonami is doing something pretty cool in response to all this:https://twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/ ... 4129022981