Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022?

Post by PurestEvil » Sun May 09, 2021 7:23 am

Noah wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:48 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:59 am
Gohanhx wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:54 am Ora waku-waku suru zo!
wakuwaku wo hyakubai ni shite
What?
...they are lyrics to We Gotta Power, man
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

PurestEvil

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by PurestEvil » Sun May 09, 2021 7:26 am

Well crap. We don't even have a HINT of what the film is about.
Time for a year of tail chasing, my dudes :crazy:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun May 09, 2021 8:13 am

By "unexpected character" does that mean that this will be the third movie in a row to recycle a previously used villain as opposed to Toriyama actually coming up with something original again?

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun May 09, 2021 8:48 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:27 am
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:20 am We shall see. Also, it would be better if it took place after the Granolah arc. Uub appearing makes sense and there would be no issue with the timeline getting messed up with a movie between 2 existsing arcs. Unless if they push it between Broly and Moro idk.
It's been in the works since 2018 so no way they planned that long ahead. I doubt they would also want to spoil the fresh manga arc.
They probably developed the planning of the post Broly stories (including the manga) with the new film in mind, since it was said that there were several meetings with Toriyama, Toyotaro and Uchida to decide the direction of the next arcs (more specifically, Granolah) Even after the Broly movie, they probably had only vague ideas of the direction the new film was going to take, so the decisions were probably made when Moro arc was already underway. Unless this film talks about the past then I think there is a chance that we will see EoZ or something closer to that

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun May 09, 2021 8:59 am

The vast majority of DB fans watch the anime, not the manga, DB has always been a franchise where people mostly watch the anime, they're not making a movie that takes place after not 1 but 2 manga-only arcs. That'd be stupid. Literally most people would be asking themselves "What the fu is going on?"

So I don't know why some people think this movie will take place near or during End of Z, that to me is impossible.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 am

I'm kind of nervous i want this film to surpass the Broly one but with the bad tatse the Moro arc left in the fandoms mouth a lot ppl seem skeptical about this.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun May 09, 2021 9:39 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 am I'm kind of nervous i want this film to surpass the Broly one but with the bad tatse the Moro arc left in the fandoms mouth a lot ppl seem skeptical about this.
I honestly feel it will be hard to top a movie with THREE fan favorites making their long awaited canonical debut (Bardock, Broly and Gogeta).

Cooler nor Janemba, while famous, won't have that kind of draw power.

Maybe the fandom, by being on drought for DB animated content, will manage to surprise me.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 am

Yeah, I think it's likely to take place between Broly and Moro or take place in an entirely different era. I can't imagine they'll ever skip adapting Moro and Granolah considering the major developments.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 09, 2021 9:50 am

sangofe wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:01 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 am It's too early to really speculate on what the movie will be about, but with Toriyama writing the script it's safe to say that it won't take place after EoZ since he has said he has no interest in writing stories during that time period.
Really? Has he said that he won't write stories after end of z?
Yes, I can't remember the exact interview, but that's the reason BoG / Super takes place between Buu and EoZ. I could see them retconning EoZ though and just pretending it didn't happen, and with Uub appearing now, it looks like that could happen.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun May 09, 2021 9:54 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:39 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 am I'm kind of nervous i want this film to surpass the Broly one but with the bad tatse the Moro arc left in the fandoms mouth a lot ppl seem skeptical about this.
I honestly feel it will be hard to top a movie with THREE fan favorites making their long awaited canonical debut (Bardock, Broly and Gogeta).

Cooler nor Janemba, while famous, won't have that kind of draw power.

Maybe the fandom, by being on drought for DB animated content, will manage to surprise me.
They may go full fanservice x1000 and bring in SSJ4 or Yamoshi :?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun May 09, 2021 10:09 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:59 am The vast majority of DB fans watch the anime, not the manga, DB has always been a franchise where people mostly watch the anime, they're not making a movie that takes place after not 1 but 2 manga-only arcs. That'd be stupid. Literally most people would be asking themselves "What the fu is going on?"

So I don't know why some people think this movie will take place near or during End of Z, that to me is impossible.
It depends on the kind of story being told. If it’s set after the End of Z and it begins with Goku already having mastered Ultra Instinct, anime-only fans won’t be confused. And fans will want to buy the manga to fill in the last remaining gaps in the 10 year period between Buu and End of Z.

I really, really doubt they will have this movie take place exactly after Broly because Moro happens exactly after Broly, and Granolah immediately picks up from Moro. And Toriyama collaborated in both arcs AND this movie was planned since 2018, while Moro started in December of the same year. If they decided to set Moro EXACTLY after Broly, then it means that the new movie will either be set in the past (very unlikely) or will finally be set after End of Z. Which would explain why Uub had such a role in the arc and why they went great lengths to show his massive potential. The ending dialogue between Goku and Vegeta also felt like it was hinting at the fact they will eventually show some story post-EoZ.

There are some pretty convincing hints that this will be post-EoZ. If it’s not, then it will either break the manga story by taking place when Moro took place (which would create a lot of confusion) or it will somehow take place after Granolah but before End of Z, which is possible.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 09, 2021 10:26 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:50 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 am It's too early to really speculate on what the movie will be about, but with Toriyama writing the script it's safe to say that it won't take place after EoZ since he has said he has no interest in writing stories during that time period.
Yes, I can't remember the exact interview, but that's the reason BoG / Super takes place between Buu and EoZ. I could see them retconning EoZ though and just pretending it didn't happen, and with Uub appearing now, it looks like that could happen.
Do you mean pretend the last 3 dbz eps never happened?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 am

Yuji wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 am Yeah, I think it's likely to take place between Broly and Moro or take place in an entirely different era. I can't imagine they'll ever skip adapting Moro and Granolah considering the major developments.
I still believe the Moro and Granolah arcs were written to give the anime new content to adapt. Remember when Super first begun it adapted the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F arcs so Toriyama would have more time to write the later arcs. I could see some liberties being taken, and possibly a change in the timeline placement, but I do believe Moro and Granolah will eventually be animated. It would be a wise move to release them once this new movie finishes it's theatrical run so fans (especially those that don't read the manga, which as stated is a not insignificant number) can still get their Dragon Ball fix while waiting for the Blu-Ray. The return of the Super anime has been a long time coming, but I think with the new website and now the announcement of this movie everything is starting to fall into place.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 09, 2021 10:45 am

sangofe wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:26 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:50 am

Do you mean pretend the last 3 dbz eps never happened?
Well he said he didn't like the characters being old, so maybe the cast will be redesigned, or he could have the tournament take place earlier while Uub is younger?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun May 09, 2021 10:59 am

Back in 2018 when the concept of this movie started the manga was still catching up on the TOP, so the Moro arc wasn't even created yet. So obviously the story of this movie was conceived with no knowledge of anything that happened with Moro or later.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the movie does render the manga non-canon (granted they're different continuities at this point anyway), and just goes on its own direction.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun May 09, 2021 11:07 am

It wouldn't make sense for the movie to take place during Broly and Moro, they would be severely limited with the content they could use. We know that the main duo could not have any major development because in the beginning of the Moro arc they are exactly the same as in the Broly movie, unless the story is not about them and about a totally different character or in the past
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:59 am The vast majority of DB fans watch the anime, not the manga, DB has always been a franchise where people mostly watch the anime, they're not making a movie that takes place after not 1 but 2 manga-only arcs. That'd be stupid. Literally most people would be asking themselves "What the fu is going on?"

The movie doesn't need to adapt specific Toyotaro plot points (just like the Broly movie totally ignored some anime and manga-only contents), but obviously neither of the two arcs can be ignored because they are part of the main continuity of the series (and have a script / involvement of Toriyama himself). If the movie takes place after the current events, then they should do a brief recap of previous events.
Last edited by TheSaiyanGod on Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun May 09, 2021 11:14 am

precita wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:59 am So I wouldn't be surprised if the movie does render the manga non-canon (granted they're different continuities at this point anyway), and just goes on its own direction.
Are they? The DBS manga straight out tells you to watch Broly to know the events that happened.

Mr. Slump

Post by Mr. Slump » Sun May 09, 2021 11:28 am

This might be an unpopular thing to say, but I wouldn’t mind it if Tarbles returns in this movie. I always kind of liked that character and I’d be pretty pleased to see more done with that character.
Last edited by Mr. Slump on Sun May 09, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun May 09, 2021 11:29 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:14 am
precita wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:59 am So I wouldn't be surprised if the movie does render the manga non-canon (granted they're different continuities at this point anyway), and just goes on its own direction.
Are they? The DBS manga straight out tells you to watch Broly to know the events that happened.
Exactly, there is a special manga chapter as well.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun May 09, 2021 11:30 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:54 am They may go full fanservice x1000 and bring in SSJ4 or Yamoshi :?
I am absolutely certain they are going the fan service route. Doesn’t have to be SSJ4 or Yamoshi. Bringing back an “unexpected character” already sounds like fan service.