"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lionel » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:14 pm

Count me as part of the fan segment who's unimpressed and believes we could do with less transformational variations. I understand Vegeta needs his leg up to counterbalance Goku but it didn't have to come in the form of a cosmetic lift. But then I was originally opposed to an aesthetic lift for Goku when he uses Ultra Instinct and look where we are now.

Good for the fans who enjoy the form. It definitely encapsulates a primitive instinctual mindset which I'm guessing was the intended goal.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:15 pm

BWri wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 pm Yeah. I think the Saiyans have one of the strangest evolutionary lines in the series. I think the series needs to do a deep dive into SSJ mutations and finally explain what these are and why there's so many. It's also a great excuse to separate the Saiyan characters transformations. Seems like the groundwork has been laid to do so already with Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Broly all going separate paths.
I'd be morbidly curious to see a storyline where we meet the progenitor of the Saiyan race, perhaps another rogue Kaioshin who specifically imbued them with all these dormant mutations for some shady purpose. It would be like the Timeless Child of Dragon Ball retcons and the backlash would be glorious.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:18 pm

Wait is Vegeta's hair really purple or is this fan speculation?

It would definitely be a jump the shark moment if they just chose whatever hair color wasn't already represented by a Super Saiyan form.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:27 pm

precita wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:18 pm Wait is Vegeta's hair really purple or is this fan speculation?

It would definitely be a jump the shark moment if they just chose whatever hair color wasn't already represented by a Super Saiyan form.

For now it’s fan speculation

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:36 pm

Now the questions are:
Who designed this?
Will it be the final form for Vegeta or will it be abandoned eventually?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:41 pm

pepd wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:36 pm Now the questions are:
Who designed this?
I hope it WILL be the final form..

And the other relevant question is: What’s the color???

I think either Black, Brown, or Purple.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:50 pm

There shouldn't be anything above a God of Destruction. Anything passed this form for Vegeta wouldn't even make sense. Same for Goku with whatever the perfected Ultra instinct is.

They now have forms of the Gods and Angels, we know there's nothing else passed this.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:55 pm

Well The take away I get from this is more people hate Super Saiyan 3 than I thought they did.

Personally I liked the form and want to see More of it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:57 pm

precita wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:50 pm They now have forms of the Gods and Angels, we know there's nothing else passed this.
They still have to unlock a transformation that resembles Zeno. Goku and Vegeta will be able to erase an Universe by closing their hands.

After that, they will unlock a transformation that resembles Toribot. Goku and Vegeta will be able to do whatever the heck they want with reality itself.

Both of these forms will have steps to master them, so expect even further variations/differences.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:06 pm

Who designed this?

Well normally I wouldn’t want any more transformations but as I am not a big fan of this one I kind of hope this one changes. Kind of hope it becomes even more Ape Like

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:10 pm

I think it's better than most of the anime's original forms (Heroes included), but I agree it's not very visually interesting. I hope my theory last page that Vegeta looking undead/zombified is a nod to Beerus' design being themed around Anubis gets some solid backing, it would make the form more conceptually interesting.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:16 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:57 pm
precita wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:50 pm They now have forms of the Gods and Angels, we know there's nothing else passed this.
They still have to unlock a transformation that resembles Zeno. Goku and Vegeta will be able to erase an Universe by closing their hands.
Lmao! The Zeno form will also grow Vegeta's hair sideways like Zeno's head so he'll resemble Kakarot unintentionally.
After that, they will unlock a transformation that resembles Toribot. Goku and Vegeta will be able to do whatever the heck they want with reality itself.
And Vegeta will finally be the strongest in existence ... until Goku gains the ultimate power, editorial control.
Both of these forms will have steps to master them, so expect even further variations/differences.
That's the most enjoyable aspects of the forms for me. Hopefully there's enough meat there for them to make it interesting. Goku retreading the stamina drain issues he had with SSJ3 wasn't that interesting, but legit splitting UI into a technique, a transformation, and possibly a state of being has made it more interesting. With GoD form being so new, I wonder what it can even do?

Also, does this mean that Toppo learned his GoD form off-panel? I hope so.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:30 pm

I do hope this is an imperfect form, and the design will change one he's mastered it. I definitely don't like the look, no eyebrows works for SSJ3, this one I just don't care for at all. I'm definitely not feeling yet another transformation either, it never ends.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:31 pm

I think its interesting that his wounds seemed to disappear once he transformed. Perhaps this form has a healing factor like SSJ God in the Anime.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:41 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:31 pm I think its interesting that his wounds seemed to disappear once he transformed. Perhaps this form has a healing factor like SSJ God in the Anime.
Generally transformations in the series have always provided a full rejuvenation of one's power. See: Goku on Namek, Gohan in the Cell Games. But I guess Vegeta could have destroyed his damage :lol:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:44 pm

The new form kinda looks like one of Toriyamas drafts for SS3, the one that had hair slightly bigger than SS and no brows. He needs a tail though.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:55 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:06 pm
Who designed this?

Well normally I wouldn’t want any more transformations but as I am not a big fan of this one I kind of hope this one changes. Kind of hope it becomes even more Ape Like
I’d actually be for Vegeta getting full access to GoD powers in his Oozaru form. He would be massive and menacing and the transformation wouldn’t be out of nowhere

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:02 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:15 pm
BWri wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 pm Yeah. I think the Saiyans have one of the strangest evolutionary lines in the series. I think the series needs to do a deep dive into SSJ mutations and finally explain what these are and why there's so many. It's also a great excuse to separate the Saiyan characters transformations. Seems like the groundwork has been laid to do so already with Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Broly all going separate paths.
I'd be morbidly curious to see a storyline where we meet the progenitor of the Saiyan race, perhaps another rogue Kaioshin who specifically imbued them with all these dormant mutations for some shady purpose. It would be like the Timeless Child of Dragon Ball retcons and the backlash would be glorious.
I actually put together a fun fanfic concept where the Saiyans were actually created in the demon realm as a magical parasitic race that could perpetually absorb new abilities, powers, and adapt. It was basically an in universe explanation of their zenki, their ability to change forms into things like Apes, regrow eyebrows or magic pants, mate with humans, and why they are war-like and conquering in nature.

Basically kinda like Omni mans race.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:11 pm

BWri wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:16 pmAnd Vegeta will finally be the strongest in existence ... until Goku gains the ultimate power, editorial control.
Imagine Goku learning that Vegeta is the strongest, only for Goku to attain editorial control and change that aspect of reality... :lol: Then, in a new midquel series, we'll see Vegeta struggling to get that kind of power, or be in search of a different/greater power than the editorial control one can provide.
BWri wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:16 pmThat's the most enjoyable aspects of the forms for me. Hopefully there's enough meat there for them to make it interesting. Goku retreading the stamina drain issues he had with SSJ3 wasn't that interesting, but legit splitting UI into a technique, a transformation, and possibly a state of being has made it more interesting. With GoD form being so new, I wonder what it can even do?
A fair guess would be that they'll do the same. This Vegeta's form might split into a technique and a transformation too. It's the same principle anyway, angels don't need to transform in order to use Ultra Instinct (neither Gods of Destruction, for that matter), and Gods of Destruction don't need to transform in order to use... well, their own destruction powers. Why would mortals need to transform in order to use those things? Getting rid of the initial transformations and focusing only on the technique part might be part of the step to master them.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:22 pm

I know Vegeta is not going to be the strongest for more than a chapter but after losing his eyebrows is it so much to ask that he not get completely destroyed? Let the eyebrow sacrifice have meaning please. :lol: