Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Marz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:17 pm

I'm not against a low stakes story...But where do we draw the line between slice of life stuff and a story that just looks like filler? Probably Toriyama and the others have this in mind, and a movie entirely in that setting is unlikely, it's just not enough to draw that much attention.

Battle of Gods is a good example of balance between slice of life and high stakes battles (and even then, its sequel focused mostly on battles because people complained about the nature of this movie). Toriyama also said in his message that the next movie will have extreme and entertaining bouts so it won't just be low stakes.
precita wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:05 pm The problem is if Goku/Vegeta fight in the movie it wouldn't make sense for them not to use their new forms they got in the manga since this movie takes place after. And we know Toei won't debut those new forms in this movie since it'll confuse people who don't follow the manga. So the only alternative is either Goku/Vegeta don't fight in this movie, or we just don't see anything beyond Super Saiyan Blue.
Super Saiyan God Vegeta had never appeared in any media other than manga, and DBS Broly introduced him directly almost out of nowhere

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:17 pm

Trouser wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:34 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:13 pm I also want to say a resounding THANK FUCK that it's not another "old villain returns/gets canonically reimagined" scenario.
Well, it still may be. We know nothing about the plot. It was just few designs, that's all. We don't even know how the rest of the cast look like. Maybe Cooler is like Frost and he is pretending to be, or is in fact, a Super Hero? Or maybe it's about Tapion? He was a hero after all.
I think that's very unlikely at this stage. If that was the case, they'd probably lead with that straight away. As you say yourself, Frost already pulled the fake hero scam (or in the manga, actually was heroic, if unscrupulous in his methods), so would the protagonists really fall for the same trick again? I wouldn't mind seeing Tapion again one day, but he's not a villain. He had more of a 'mystical fantasy hero' theme than a superhero theme, though.

Cooler is the only one I'd be somewhat receptive to seeing a revamp of (maaaaybe Tullece at a stretch, but only if they really focus on expanding the Crusher Corps), but after two movies focusing on the Freeza/Saiyan arc mythos and plenty of fanservice relating to that period throughout the revival as a whole, I couldn't face another project along those same lines. For me, it's less about the concept of revamping past characters (I really liked the execution of it with Broly and Paragus, after all) but more about the stagnation of the setting.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:41 pm

For anyone who was expecting huge, dramatic scope from a DB film, the best time to have abandoned that would have been prior to any announcement, but the second best time would probably be now.

Piccolo’s house is very exciting; nothing else matters besides Piccolo’s house.

Looks like the unexpected character might have been Saiyaman or Pan?

We’re really chomping at the heels of the 28th TB now. Pan’s design probably gives us only another year to play with max, unless Toriyama wants to play looser with the state’s ages there.
Last edited by Cipher on Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:08 pm The title of the movie is Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero.

Yeah...

EDIT:

And here's the logo:
Goku V Superman confirmed :lol:

In all honesty, I think the animation could work if they blend the 2D and CG well, but will need to see more to make a decision on that one.

And now that Pan is ageing the same must be done for Goten and Trunks. No excuse now.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 pm

A down to earth Dragonball movie would be ideal since the Broly movie was all about power and dudebros loved it. Having a silly slice of life DBZ movie would bring the series back to its roots and allow characters other than Goku/Vegeta a time to shine.

Most people in the west don't care about Pan so I think it's a good thing she gets focus here to basically try to reintroduce her character. I always liked 3 year old Pan at the end of DBZ and well this is the closest thing to it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:55 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:45 pm And now that Pan is ageing the same must be done for Goten and Trunks. No excuse now.
Whaddya mean "no excuse"? Watch Pan, Bra and Uub looking taller than Goten, Trunks and Marron! :wink:

Anyway, I read the last two chapters of the manga to remember how the characters look (hence my previous post about Dende), and it made me wonder if this'll be the first time we'll see Goten depicted with Gine's hair or if in this time period he still had Goku's hair.

I'd like to see the transition, you know. You rarely see stuff like this (the scene in which Android 18 cuts Kuririn's hair is a nice touch!), especially if the movie will be more "slice of life".
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:22 pm

So, they've finally given Piccolo his original yellow pads. Maybe next movie he will be given four fingers.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:23 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:34 pm Given they showed character designs for piccolo with and without his cape and turban I think its fair to say Piccolo is probrably gonna be fighting in this movie.

I'm down for a low stakes movie starting the side characters like Krillin Piccolo and Gohan. I Thought this is what other people wanted too but people are mad rn that this movie isn't Cooler or Janemba which I think are both stupid ideas. I'd much rather have a fresh new movie with Lower Stakes and let the side characters do things than just another "Harr Harr Big Punchy Punchy" Meathead Movie Like Broly was. I like the broly movie but that movie had practically no story and Broly barley had any more character than the original. Its just total spectacle.

If this movie is going for a more story based slice of life dragon ball theme then count me in. Haven't enjoyed slice of life in Dragon Ball Since...well Dragon Ball.
I could be wrong, but when the Broly movie was coming out with character designs, didn’t they have Piccolo’s design without his cape as well?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:27 pm

Marz wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:17 pm
precita wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:05 pm The problem is if Goku/Vegeta fight in the movie it wouldn't make sense for them not to use their new forms they got in the manga since this movie takes place after. And we know Toei won't debut those new forms in this movie since it'll confuse people who don't follow the manga. So the only alternative is either Goku/Vegeta don't fight in this movie, or we just don't see anything beyond Super Saiyan Blue.
Super Saiyan God Vegeta had never appeared in any media other than manga, and DBS Broly introduced him directly almost out of nowhere

Thats mostly because its so much easier for people to accept Super Saiyan God Vegeta than it would for example, Ultra Instinct God/Blue/Base Goku.

And unlike MUI there's no reason for Goku not to use UI In base soooo yeah we got a problem here.

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:33 pm

Marz wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:17 pm I'm not against a low stakes story...But where do we draw the line between slice of life stuff and a story that just looks like filler? Probably Toriyama and the others have this in mind, and a movie entirely in that setting is unlikely, it's just not enough to draw that much attention.
It's not filler if its a story that is both canon to the creator's vision and pushes the story forward in a meaningful way and/or advances a character in a meaningful way.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:35 pm

I prefer the Broly movie/Shintani art style. This new movies art style sort of reminds me of a video game though.
I'm glad it seems to be edging closer to the End of Z arc, or possibly post endofz arc.. Also Pan's new design is adorable.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:39 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:53 pm I’m certainly not against a more laidback movie that focuses more on the slice of life stuff, and gives the supporting characters some focus. With that said, that doesn’t sound like something that fans outside of this forum would want.
Spamming Goku and Vegeta with new forms and extra screaming just doesn’t cut it for me anymore. We’ve seen years of that so something new shouldn’t be frowned upon, but what can you do.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:48 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:27 pm Thats mostly because its so much easier for people to accept Super Saiyan God Vegeta than it would for example, Ultra Instinct God/Blue/Base Goku.

And unlike MUI there's no reason for Goku not to use UI In base soooo yeah we got a problem here.
The point is that there's nothing stopping such forms from appearing for the first time in the movie, it wouldn't be something new. They also bothered enough to make a brief mention of Resurrection of Freeza and Tournament of Power in DBS Broly, so I don't see why the same couldn't happen this time if that's the case.
BWri wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:33 pm It's not filler if its a story that is both canon to the creator's vision and pushes the story forward in a meaningful way and/or advances a character in a meaningful way.
When I say filler I mean the feeling behind it. I'm not saying that if it's a more grounded movie it will be bad or it won't move the plot, but there needs to be a balance.

With that said, I also want to see the support cast appear with a relevant involvement in the story

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:07 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:13 pm I also want to say a resounding THANK FUCK that it's not another "old villain returns/gets canonically reimagined" scenario.
Considering we didn't know about Broly and Gogeta until a few months before DBS Broly was released this is still a possibility. I for one would welcome it, I prefer old villains I love over bland new forgettable villains like Moro any day. I'm in it for the nostalgia, and so far what I see doesn't interest me. Pan is the least interesting DB character ever imo, and I especially don't like stories revolving around kid characters, probably why GT was so bland to me. The only way to bring the hype back for me is if the beforementioned scenario of an old movie villain comes to past, otherwise, I'll save my money. You can say I'm just a fan of certain characters (especially villains) rather than a full-on franchise fan, and you wouldn't exactly be wrong honestly. I do bring money though, I went to see Broly twice in theaters and bought it twice on Amazon in two languages, along with games and merch. So I care if it gives me a reason to.
Last edited by Extreme_kai on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:11 pm

Extreme_kai wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:07 pm
Considering we didn't know about Broly and Gogeta until a few months before DBS Broly was released this is still a possibility. I for one would welcome it, I prefer old villains I love over bland new forgettable villains like Moro anyday.
I know we don't have much info, but for now I agree. Mostly because canonizing movie villains meant they got more relevance in the merchandise but also because what's been revealed so far doesn't seem that interesting.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:12 pm

Imagine Toriyama already forgot about the Moro arc :crazy:

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:20 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:11 pm
Extreme_kai wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:07 pm
Considering we didn't know about Broly and Gogeta until a few months before DBS Broly was released this is still a possibility. I for one would welcome it, I prefer old villains I love over bland new forgettable villains like Moro anyday.
I know we don't have much info, but for now I agree. Mostly because canonizing movie villains meant they got more relevance in the merchandise but also because what's been revealed so far doesn't seem that interesting.
My fingers are crossed Toriyama and the gang has more surprises up their sleeve because so far I am not impressed. Also, I really hope Dragon Ball Super: Super hero is a placeholder titled because that is just silly. Let's wait and see how it turns out around the summer of 2022 since I predict a winter 2022 release.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:24 pm

The willingness to do the unexpected is classic Toriyama. DBS: Broly is probably my favorite story in Super, but not everything needs to be that bombastic and it's a good thing we're not getting another reimagined villain.

With that said, it's still a modern Dragon Ball film. Don't expect this one to be ultra low-stakes just based on a few character designs.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:54 pm

I'm impressed that it's not Cooler. Redoing one of his movies, or redoing Janemba (or even Bebi) would've been easy money. They took a risk with these hints of story and I'm stunned. There must be some hunger in there though because someone high up doesn't have enough patience to wait another year until more staff could be available to work on a 2D movie instead. I feel like without the collection of talented 2D animators they could've had that this movie's ability to draw crowds will have to live or die by the strength of its story. I could be proven wrong, but I sincerely think that without that bombastic 2D animation staff any chances they have to dethrone that Demon Slayer movie sales-wise with this are low. Despite all that I'm more curious than I am excited as even though I did not want a villain rehash, I'm envious that all the Toei-related animators whose work I like are on different projects right now instead and if it were me I would've just waited a year until they were free to help out. As is, my worst fear with this film currently is that it'll look like one long videogame cutscene with a Xenoverse quality that can't even match up to the fantastic stuff they can do in FighterZ. Just because Toei has done amazing 3D work in Precure movies doesn't mean this film will get to look that good.

Pessimism aside I'm happy for Piccolo fans and happy that the Great Saiyafamily may be getting their own movie to shine in. Saiyaman's my favorite part of Gohan as it gives him something fun. It's also nice to see Pan finally get to age as her EoZ self was so energetic. I'm fine if Vegeta isn't in this movie. I expect Goku to be a cameo character in this the way Piccolo was in the 2018 Brolli movie.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:10 pm

The One on the Website looks better than the one at SDCC
https://twitter.com/DbsHype1/status/141 ... 91526?s=20

Yeah this looks much, much better