Which releases have dolbly surround 5.1 and are possible to extra bgm + sfx from?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Which releases have dolbly surround 5.1 and are possible to extra bgm + sfx from?

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:29 am

Which releases have dolby surround 5.1 and are possible to extra bgm + sfx from? I've been reading the manga for her and wanna do this to make fandubs for my daughter! Anything dragon ball would be nice

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Re: Which releases have dolbly surround 5.1 and are possible to extra bgm + sfx from?

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:37 pm

I think all of Funi's DVD/BD releases from the "remastered" range onward have 5.1 mixes. The only exception I can think of is DB Movie 2's mix just being identical mono tracks from all the speakers.

The dialogue is generally only included on the centre channel, so you just remove that and you get a music/effects-only track for the most part. That being said, some narration is on all channels and you will have to work around echos and other surround effects from time to time.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Which releases have dolbly surround 5.1 and are possible to extra bgm + sfx from?

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:40 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:37 pm I think all of Funi's DVD/BD releases from the "remastered" range onward have 5.1 mixes. The only exception I can think of is DB Movie 2's mix just being identical mono tracks from all the speakers.

The dialogue is generally only included on the centre channel, so you just remove that and you get a music/effects-only track for the most part. That being said, some narration is on all channels and you will have to work around echos and other surround effects from time to time.
OK, thanks! This means I could pick more or less anything from the franchise then!

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:03 am

This thread got me curious about the international market for countries that had their own domestic dubs and whether any of them have adopted this 5.1 idea into any of their modern home releases as well.

Did any international releases (DVD era onward) have their own 5.1 Surround mixes with M&E tracks separate from the voiceovers in such a fashion or similar for their dubs of the series and if so which country and what release? Surly FUNimation can't be the only DBZ licensee and distributor that does this there's just no way.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:23 am

superrayman3 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:03 am Did any international releases (DVD era onward) have their own 5.1 Surround mixes with M&E tracks separate from the voiceovers in such a fashion or similar for their dubs of the series and if so which country and what release? Surly FUNimation can't be the only DBZ licensee and distributor that does this there's just no way.
Way. At least if we're talking about the older TV shows. Every other country's home video release (if they even had a home video release) had their dub's audio track released in either mono or, more commonly, stereo. Not even Japan's home video release of Kai is in 5.1, that's still in 2.0.

That said, several of the international releases of the more recent movies do in fact have 5.1 mixes. The Latino Spanish home video release of Battle of Gods, for example, has the Spanish dub audio mixed in 5.1. To my knowledge, though, FUNimation is the only company that took the liberty of mixing their dubs for the older TV shows in 5.1.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:26 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:23 amWay. At least if we're talking about the older TV shows. Every other country's home video release (if they even had a home video release) had their dub's audio track released in either mono or, more commonly, stereo. Not even Japan's home video release of Kai is in 5.1, that's still in 2.0.

That said, several of the international releases of the more recent movies do in fact have 5.1 mixes. The Latino Spanish home video release of Battle of Gods, for example, has the Spanish dub audio mixed in 5.1. To my knowledge, though, FUNimation is the only company that took the liberty of mixing their dubs for the older TV shows in 5.1.
WOW that sucks, I'm going to assume they didn't offer the M&E tracks separate from the voiceovers as an alternate audio option either did they? I assume the answer is no because such a thing probably would have been documented by now if any known releases did such a thing and yeah I'm specifically referring to the DB - GT era anime.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:23 pm

I get why it wouldn't be a priority. The 5.1 upmixes are an improvement over stereo, but they're not exactly a revelation to listen to. It's just the the existing mono/stereo effects track being panned forward and backwards, with occasional filtering and sampling for the rear channels. I'm pretty sure other American dubbing companies don't bother with it either. The movies (BoG onward) are presumably an exception because they were mixed in 5.1 for their Japanese theatrical release.

It also might be a practice that Funimation doesn't get permission for with future DB series. Their One Piece DVD/BDs recently dropped the 5.1 tracks and locked the audio/subtitle options ~600 episodes in. Mind you, Dragon Ball and One Piece have often had different rules despite the same companies being involved.