"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jack Bz
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:39 am

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:48 am

Loving this !

I knew Toyatoro and Toriyama wouldn't disappoint me, and not have Vegeta lose on his special day 😂

It's beautiful. I may finally be proven right and it's revealed that Granolah has Ultra Instinct!

Hopefully he has forced spirit fission too, so they can't fuse either!

Excited about the Heeters and potentially Frieza getting the wish. You get the god techniques from them!

It poetic, that the chapter is called "A god of destructions power" and it ends with Granolah using Ultra Instinct (power of the angels) to defeat a "god of destructions power" 😂

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:11 am

Wait...I don't understand people's reactions. They thought this arc was going to end this chapter??? And why
he wished to be the strongest in the universe, love of Vegeta shouldn't nullify that.

This is a really cool start of an arc, let's see where it goes not cry that it didn't end at the start?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:22 am

I feel genuine pity for Vegeta fans (well, actually I feel pity for everyone whose favorite character is anyone other than Goku, myself included).

We say this is a Goku and Vegeta show, but in the latter's case, what's the point of having more spotlight than almost everyone if you're stuck in the same writing format? The only relevant thing Vegeta did in modern Dragon Ball was taking Toppo down (and did that happen in the manga too? Or was it someone else who defeated him?).

We simply can't have our moment, can we? And this time, Vegeta didn't even need to point at himself, like he always does.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:03 am

The possible defeat of Vegeta is only uninteresting in sense that's the most expected outcome since he's fighting the strongest in the Universe. That's all.

Vegeta is by far the character who benefited the most from Super.

He ascended to co-protagonist status, has about as much screentime as Goku, character development and a bunch of transformations/forms to boot, including a few unique ones!

He also routinely has kicked villain asses. Mainly Goku Black and defeated pre-73 Moro when Goku failed! He got wins no matter if people created convoluted scenarios to justify it not mattering.

So cry me a river about Vegeta not getting his due and I say this as someone who has Vegeta as his favorite character.

Imagine Piccolo, Gohan, Goten, Trunks or any other character if Vegeta is supposedly getting the shaft...

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:16 am

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:19 am

Issei189 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:16 am
Edit:
Last edited by DiscountDabi on Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:25 am

Ok... That's bad. Should have expected it... But still.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:29 am

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:03 am
DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:32 am Does anyone else feel like Granolah is a Gary Stue?
His character flaws were literally laid on the table in front of us, so no.
He’s gonna get his behind kicked sooner or later anyways...
For the record, you don’t need to be perfect to be a Sue.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:38 am

Brettjr25 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:11 am Wait...I don't understand people's reactions. They thought this arc was going to end this chapter???
Of course not, it's not like Granolah had to be killed in this fight. You could have him escape in his spaceship while Vegeta is rampaging and not thinking clearly or something, it could've been a cool scene. Something different for a change! Vegeta would then keep his honor and Granolah would pursue to get stronger.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:45 am

Xeogran wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:38 am
Brettjr25 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:11 am Wait...I don't understand people's reactions. They thought this arc was going to end this chapter???
Of course not, it's not like Granolah had to be killed in this fight. You could have him escape in his spaceship while Vegeta is rampaging and not thinking clearly or something, it could've been a cool scene. Something different for a change! Vegeta would then keep his honor and Granolah would pursue to get stronger.
Litterally this. Have Vegeta lose himself in the form and make Granolah Escape instead of knocking Vegeta on his ass for the millioth time. It doesn't make Granolah look strong it makes Vegeta look stupid and make the whole story they've been building about strenght being temporary and its possible to surpass it look stupid.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:25 pm

i think ill just drop DB. i did it before black arc and came back after it ended.

this bullshit has to stop. maybe people should let toyotaro know in twitter how garbage his writing is

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:27 pm

Let's be real here, this is not a good way to introduce a new transformation after a month of hype and previous build up. Toyo knew what he was doing when the cliffhanger from the previous chapter was Vegeta showing this shape for the first time.

Regardless of how you feel about the character or about him losing, is it that big of a deal to have an entire chapter focused on that form before it is defeated? People would complain about the pacing but it doesn't matter, a new transformation like this needed it. Something similar happened with Mastered Ultra Instinct in the manga version tournament but Goku only lost because he ran out of stamina, he wasn't straight up overpowered as seems to be the case here. Granola is the strongest in the universe but here he seems to have simply pulled more power out of nothing ("true potential" or whatever), and invalidates Vegeta's speech in the last chapter about what it means to be the strongest in the universe (and how Granola was supposedly wrong in his decision)

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:31 pm

DSB wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:25 pm i think ill just drop DB. i did it before black arc and came back after it ended.

this bullshit has to stop. maybe people should let toyotaro know in twitter how garbage his writing is
Are you listening to yourself? Let's all organise to hound the creator of the manga on twitter so they know how much you hate the leaks?? Chill out.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:34 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:31 pm
DSB wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:25 pm i think ill just drop DB. i did it before black arc and came back after it ended.

Are you listening to yourself? Let's all organise to hound the creator of the manga on twitter so they know how much you hate the leaks?? Chill out.
That is precisely why it is better for him to take a few months off.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:36 pm

well i already fired a tweet tagging him without any abuse. also reminded that why the writer of DB AF can never be good.

i mean its clear what Toriyamam thinks of DB these days. Choosing the writer of DB AF as his successor lmao.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:53 pm

DSB wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:36 pm

well i already fired a tweet tagging him without any abuse. also reminded that why the writer of DB AF can never be good.

i mean its clear what Toriyamam thinks of DB these days. Choosing the writer of DB AF as his successor lmao.
Yeah well, I just checked Toyo's recent mentions and the only tweet that mentions AF is this one and I sincerely hope it isn't you but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Regardless, the need for fandoms to jump to toxicity and personally message creators on twitter when they don't like their creative decisions is just shitty, stupid and childish, and shouldn't be encouraged (let alone rallied for) lest tweets like the above exist. Especially when it's based on a few panels of leaks for a chapter that hasn't been released. And especially if the entire basis of the criticism is "Vegeta never gets the win".

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:03 pm

If Vegeta loses against the strongest in the Universe, why is that bad writing? Can someone explain that to me? Hell, Vegeta explicitly expresses Granolah's superiority.

It would be worse if Vegeta wins with an unexplained transformation. Toppo doing something that might be related in another medium isn't worth anything and somehow people ignored it and were more worried about eyebrows.

People confuse their expectations with quality and bring the pitchforks out. It's exactly like the chapter when the humans were eliminated in ToP, everyone was waiting for some fan-service like in the anime and probably the best written chapter of the whole arc was blasted.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:06 pm

deleted.....
Last edited by superfan2024 on Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:07 pm

DSB wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:36 pm

Damn bro, I'm sure he really appreciated that level-headed, completely unabusive constructive criticism. Such amazing advice, surprising no one thought earlier that Toyotaro can improve Dragon Ball Super by going back in time to convince himself to never even bother trying in the first place, probably by telling Toriyama to go fuck himself. Toyotaro's only the guy behind DBAF, after all, it's not like he's a REAL artist. In fact, he's not even a real PERSON! Toyotaro doesn't physically exist, that's how insignificant he is! What was Toriyama thinking?!?