Dragon Ball Super Gets Cancelled Overseas Over Sexual Harassment Claims

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super Gets Cancelled Overseas Over Sexual Harassment Claims

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:41 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:01 pm "Blame the media they watch" is just a lazy cop out used to not actually figure out what caused someone to behave in a certain way.
Media is created by individuals and individuals are shaped and molded by media. That's how the process operates. There has been more than ample research done that proves that the media that people consume can affect their behavior and thinking.

Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:01 pm And they all probably had varying lives and upbringings that led them down that path, I heavily doubt it was because they laughed at Roshi jumping into 18's chest and getting thrown across the room.
Cartoons and media are a part of people's lives and upbringings too. It may be a combination of different factors that determine someone's path. Roshi's sex crimes are one of such factors.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:55 pm

Normal people aren't shaped by media. Human's have a very handy ability that lets them watch things and realize they're bad or not real; Even kids as young as four can tell the difference between real and make believe. The most you could argue is that people might get *ideas* but they still ultimately can decide if it's wrong or right; it's not going to make them do something they wouldn't do anyway. People don't operate on "monkey see monkey do" logic.
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:41 pm
Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:01 pm "Blame the media they watch" is just a lazy cop out used to not actually figure out what caused someone to behave in a certain way.
Media is created by individuals and individuals are shaped and molded by media. That's how the process operates. There has been more than ample research done that proves that the media that people consume can affect their behavior and thinking.
You can find a study that "proves" almost any point you want to make. They also did a study on ten thousand children over a course of ten years trying to find a link between video games and violence, and all they found was a mild adrenaline rush that you also get from playing tennis.
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:41 pm Cartoons and media are a part of people's lives and upbringings too. It may be a combination of different factors that determine someone's path. Roshi's sex crimes are one of such factors.
Almost every child in developed countries for the last 60 has watched cartoons growing up. Some bad apples doesn't prove anything. If you're going to link what shows they watched to how they behave then you might as well start looking for connections in literally everything most kids do growing up.

DatHenson

Post by DatHenson » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:20 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:07 pm I'm honestly shocked no other territories have done anything about the reprehensible shit Roshi gets up to in these episodes. Even Funimation's TV edit of the show mostly leaves this material intact.
Err, no
Funi censored Roshi's antics more than Harmony Gold for the 1995 BLT dub. It was only after 2003 Eng DB got more of Roshi's Perviness.
Though in matters of foreign affairs, it is odd, though there's also the fact that no one really documents censorship well. Which can lead to a lot of misinfo and blatantly wrong information (people think 4Kids censored Escaflowne, despite it being dubbed by Ocean and edited by Fox Kids for instance)

But yeah, DB ever since early 2000s weirdly got away with stuff, likely cuz Funi lucked out in becoming a media powerhouse from their bootleg days for home media, unlike every other dubbing company. So when they were mostly uncensored, everyone else was, regardless of other anime

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:44 am

is this ban just for the series or does this also affect movies too?

isucamper

Post by isucamper » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:14 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:55 pm Normal people aren't shaped by media.
You are either incredibly uneducated, or extremely ignorant, and what you have stated here could not possibly be further from the truth. Human beings are intensely influenced by the things they see and experience in the environment around them. It is literally how we learn every aspect of anything we know, and there are thousands upon thousands of studies that demonstrate this is a repeatable fashion. Instead of sitting here on this message board vomiting out this complete garbage, you could actually spend that time repeating some of these studies yourself so you could come to a conclusion that is that is based on something more substantial than whatever shitty "feeling" of a worldview you are pulling this from.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influence_of_mass_media

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:01 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:55 pm Normal people aren't shaped by media. Human's have a very handy ability that lets them watch things and realize they're bad or not real; Even kids as young as four can tell the difference between real and make believe. The most you could argue is that people might get *ideas* but they still ultimately can decide if it's wrong or right; it's not going to make them do something they wouldn't do anyway. People don't operate on "monkey see monkey do" logic.
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:41 pm
You can find a study that "proves" almost any point you want to make. They also did a study on ten thousand children over a course of ten years trying to find a link between video games and violence, and all they found was a mild adrenaline rush that you also get from playing tennis.
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:41 pm Cartoons and media are a part of people's lives and upbringings too. It may be a combination of different factors that determine someone's path. Roshi's sex crimes are one of such factors.
Almost every child in developed countries for the last 60 has watched cartoons growing up. Some bad apples doesn't prove anything. If you're going to link what shows they watched to how they behave then you might as well start looking for connections in literally everything most kids do growing up.
Transphobia and racism in media have literally shaped how trans people and black have been viewed.

I can't be bothered to write a full post right now but go watch the documentary Disclosure. It's a great intersectional documentary on the subject of media portrayals of the subject.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:10 am

Most academic nonsense can easily be debunked though common sense or simply living in the actual real world. Most of it is just overly worded fluff that only sounds smart because it uses a ton of buzzwords and made up connections.
"Some ideas are so stupid only intellectuals can believe them

"But but p.p.propaganda!"
Propaganda is fiction masquerading as fact to misinform the viewer; it's different to a piece of work that is simply designed to be entertainment.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:19 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:10 am Most academic nonsense can easily be debunked though common sense or simply living in the actual real world.
"Some ideas are so stupid only intellectuals can believe them
Or perhaps you totally ignore what intellectuals say if it goes against what you experienced in your bubble regardless of its validity? GTFO with this anti intellectual nonsense.
"But but p.p.propaganda!"
Propaganda is fiction masquerading as fact to misinform the viewer; it's different to a piece of work that is simply designed to be entertainment.
That is completely irrelevant, we are talking about influence from entertainment on the audience. That piece of media does not have to be state propaganda to influence what people think.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:23 am

I simply mentioned propaganda as a pre-retort, because usually in debates about fiction affecting behavior "But Joseph Goebbels!" is one of the first responses you get.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:25 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:23 am I simply mentioned propaganda as a pre-retort, because usually in debates about fiction affecting behavior "But Joseph Goebbels!" is one of the first responses you get.
Assuming what people are going to argue in the future is both condescending and faulty argumentation.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:26 am

I'm going to wager that we all have more life experience than you do, Ringworm128.

For one, you know what the ableist term 'terminally online' means and then applied it to kids, so something tells me you're not the bastion of common sense and worldly experience that you deign yourself.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:27 am

Yes it is true that it's condescending, I apologize.
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:26 am I'm going to wager that we all have more life experience than you do, Ringworm128.

For one, you know what the ableist term 'terminally online' means and then applied it to kids, so something tells me you're not the bastion of common sense and worldly experience that you deign yourself.
"Terminally online" is usually used for overly confrontational social media users, I've literally never seen it used for disabled people. And please don't make assumptions about my life; I've been all kinds of places, met all kinds of people so I think it's safe to say I have experience in the real world.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:58 pm

DatHenson wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:20 am
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:07 pm I'm honestly shocked no other territories have done anything about the reprehensible shit Roshi gets up to in these episodes. Even Funimation's TV edit of the show mostly leaves this material intact.
Err, no
Funi censored Roshi's antics more than Harmony Gold for the 1995 BLT dub. It was only after 2003 Eng DB got more of Roshi's Perviness.
I was referring to the TV edit of Dragon Ball Super. (Currently airing in the UK on Pop)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:24 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:01 pm Dirty Harry is one of the most famous movies of the 20th century, of course there's going to be people born in the 70's and 80's that idolize the main character, most of them aren't domestic abusers though.
At least 40% of cops self-admit to domestic abuse, the actual numbers are probably higher. Whether it's "most" is not much of an argument in the face of "it's a fucking lot".
Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:01 pm The United States idolizes guns because the country was literally formed though gun violence. They had to war with the British to gain independence, followed by a century of stuff like the War of 1812 and civil war; not to mention more recent wars like Vietnam and WW2. Guns were a deep part of the American psyche long before Rambo movies and cop dramas.
Well then perhaps media reinforcing that psyche is worthy of criticism.
Good thing nobody is fucking doing that then. Please actually read the shit you're responding to.
Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:01 pm If you're going to argue "I'm not saying it caused it *directly*" but he might have done x because he watched y when he was younger which might have caused him to think z was ok." then you're out of the realm of trying to make a reasonable argument and might as well start drawing lines on newspaper clippings stuck to the wall to prove your point.
Okay, so then prove that media is never a formative influence on someone's development then. Obviously you have to make a case for art never affecting anyone's opinion or beliefs in any way for your point to stand, so make that point already or stop peddling this bullshit strawman.
Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:01 pm And they all probably had varying lives and upbringings that led them down that path, I heavily doubt it was because they laughed at Roshi jumping into 18's chest and getting thrown across the room.
Except not all fanbases have the same concentration of people with reactionary politics, do they? Which means that the social and political views portrayed, whether intentional or not, are necessarily relevant and active in discussion of that media.
Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:55 pm Normal people aren't shaped by media. Human's have a very handy ability that lets them watch things and realize they're bad or not real; Even kids as young as four can tell the difference between real and make believe. The most you could argue is that people might get *ideas* but they still ultimately can decide if it's wrong or right; it's not going to make them do something they wouldn't do anyway. People don't operate on "monkey see monkey do" logic.
Same shit as before, you're really not listening on purpose here.
Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:55 pm You can find a study that "proves" almost any point you want to make. They also did a study on ten thousand children over a course of ten years trying to find a link between video games and violence, and all they found was a mild adrenaline rush that you also get from playing tennis.
That would be an influence that video games had on them, then. If a game gives you a surge of adrenaline, that means it has fundamentally had an effect on you. That effect can be more or less-pronounced depending on what is being consumed, who is consuming it and how, and it doesn't have to be "shooter game make shooter real" no matter how much you bang on about stupid bullshit nobody is fucking saying.

I highly recommend if you don't want to look like a complete chode, checking out something like parasocial contact hypothesis, which says that we can interact and relate to characters in media similar to the way we do real people while maintaining an understanding of fiction and reality, that nonetheless does in fact change things about us. People who would otherwise have zero exposure to people of color have become less-racist simply by consuming media with diverse casts. Hell, look at any educational entertainment and ask whether learning new information might possibly fucking change someone's opinion or understanding of the world. It is so colossally full of shit to equate "media can have a negative effect on people" with "violent video games cause real-world violence".
Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:55 pm Almost every child in developed countries for the last 60 has watched cartoons growing up. Some bad apples doesn't prove anything.
The phrase is literally "a few bad apples spoil the bunch".
Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:55 pm If you're going to link what shows they watched to how they behave then you might as well start looking for connections in literally everything most kids do growing up.
Fucking yes? Literally every experience you have changes you in some way??? This is extremely basic shit?
Ringworm128 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:10 am Most academic nonsense can easily be debunked though common sense or simply living in the actual real world. Most of it is just overly worded fluff that only sounds smart because it uses a ton of buzzwords and made up connections.
"Don't trust so-called 'scientists', trust whether you can see the curve of the Earth from the ground, that's what's real. It's flat."

Anti-intellectualism is the path of fools, frauds and fascists. The sooner you understand that and either reveal yourself as one of those and get banned, or leave your obviously-incorrect takes behind, the sooner we can all get back to having experiences that will hopefully impact our personalities and identities for the better.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:47 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:10 am Most academic nonsense can easily be debunked though common sense or simply living in the actual real world. Most of it is just overly worded fluff that only sounds smart because it uses a ton of buzzwords and made up connections.
This is an extremely ignorant thing to say.
To believe your own personal experience overrides academically performed studies that analyse different and varied experiencies that encompas more than just "my cousin, a friend of my cousin and a friend of a friends' step mom", all in the name of common sense, because it clashes with your little social sphere that shapes your beliefs is shortsighted and the recipe for social blindness.
Long-term common sense equals narrow vision.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:14 am

People aren't shaped by media. Media is a reflection of people's views. If you want to change media, change people first. The other way around has been proven not to work.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:15 am

Yuji wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:14 am The other way around has been proven not to work.
Can you please cite the studies that show this?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:18 am

Yuji wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:14 am People aren't shaped by media. Media is a reflection of people's views. If you want to change media, change people first. The other way around has been proven not to work.
Studies have shown literally the exact opposite

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:29 am

And, again, if anyone wants anecdotal evidence...why do you think women want vetter rep in media? Or trans people? Or bi people? It's because these things inform how we view ourselves and our place in the world as well as how others see our place in the world. Meanwhile, good media representation can change that and help teach empathy, especially in the absence of it in the home.
She/Her
bisexual milf

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:30 am

Yuji wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:14 am People aren't shaped by media. Media is a reflection of people's views. If you want to change media, change people first. The other way around has been proven not to work.
It is both. Man imitates art imitates man imitates art imitates man...