Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:28 pm

So far, Freeza is nowhere to be seen. I doubt he is going to be killed off before the movie is released.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:32 pm

Did anyone else notice that really interesting scene of what looked like Pan going or at least trying to go Super Saiyan? I noticed that at first glance.
Caulifla best girl! :)

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:33 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:32 pm Did anyone else notice that really interesting scene of what looked like Pan going or at least trying to go Super Saiyan? I noticed that at first glance.
Hey, perhaps she will become the first Super Saiyan girl to deserve the transformation :P
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:38 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:33 pm
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:32 pm Did anyone else notice that really interesting scene of what looked like Pan going or at least trying to go Super Saiyan? I noticed that at first glance.
Hey, perhaps she will become the first Super Saiyan girl to deserve the transformation :P
I don't think they will give her super saiyan honestly. Even if they do not try to make DBS fully consistent with GT, i believe they still won't overwrite her not being able to transform. I assume she's just powering up. She's training with Piccolo apparently and he doesn't seem to be the best person to teach someone how to become super saiyan when he isn't saiyan himself to begin with.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:46 pm

They will probaly have her go SSj and market her as the first Universe 7 Saiyan to go Super Saiyan. GT and Super can't go co-exist with each other and I doubt they care about it in the first place.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:54 pm

Just scratch her back.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:05 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:27 pmYou know what, I think a lot more people are gonna skip the cinema screenings based on the animation alone.
If people didn't skip Battle of Gods and Ressurection F despite having Yamamuro's awful design and aesthetics then they won't skip this one just because of CG.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:10 pm

While I'd prefer the animation style from DBS Broly, the CG animation in the new clip isn't bad looking; it's not amazing, but not bad. I wouldn't mind if the TV show looked like this when it comes back, it would be nice to get consistent quality from episode to episode instead of one good looking episode followed by 3 derpy looking episodes.

As for the story, I like what I'm seeing so far. I've been thinking for awhile that they need to shift the focus to other characters. Goku and Vegeta are getting too powerful, it feels like they're very close to their limit, so for the story to progress things need to sort of reset and deal with smaller characters.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Gt91 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm Imagine MUI Goku vs Broly.
Imagine Broly ,with a new power up, training with Whis/Beerus.
Imagine Trunks and Goten versus the 2 new enemies, a potara fusion and more!

So MUCH POTENTIAL.

I'm really happy to see Piccolo, Pan and Broly!
I dont' mind the CGI, its' very similar to a ps4 game. It's good for me.

There's Vegeta too:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBHaOZ5X0Ag ... ame=medium
I have a feeling Broly is gonna have a kid.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:14 pm

I'm predicting that Pan won't go Super Saiyan in this film, but they're gonna do where she tries to go SSJ in this film but fails, building it up for a later storyline where she does eventually unlocks the form. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:17 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:13 pm

So MUCH POTENTIAL.

There's Vegeta too:

:shock: I'm sorry, that's a new one....

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:41 pm I find it dumb that people hate on CGI anime, but they are okay with western animation being CGI. Both Japan, Europe, and North America have their fair share of good and bad 3D animation.
To be fair, I'm not too keen on modern Pixar, dream works, and illumination movies, I think they look terrible too design-wise. It was novel in the 90s, but the novelty has worn off and I'm sick of the weird blobish looking character designs in western animations in general. What I will give credit for with western 3d animations is they tend to animate better than their Japanese counterparts that tend to look more rigid, but the "western" blobby style facilitates that more. Also to be fair, this is a case of an established 2d franchise in a medium that was traditionally done in 2d going 3d. I'm ok with Toy story being 3d because it was since the beginning, I wasn't a fan of the old Buzz lightyear cartoon because the character looked weird to me in 2d. Just my two cents.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:23 pm

So MUCH POTENTIAL.

There's Vegeta too:

Following the Saiyan tradition of leaving the family to go out and train himself.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:23 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:17 pm

So MUCH POTENTIAL.

There's Vegeta too:

It seems like they're slowly setting up a new cast with Pan and Uub, why not introduce Broly and Cheelais kid? I have a feeling it will happen

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:26 pm

Extreme_kai wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:18 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:41 pm I find it dumb that people hate on CGI anime, but they are okay with western animation being CGI. Both Japan, Europe, and North America have their fair share of good and bad 3D animation.
To be fair, I'm not too keen on modern Pixar, dream works, and illumination movies, I think they look terrible too design-wise. It was novel in the 90s, but the novelty has worn off and I'm sick of the weird blobish looking character designs in western animations in general. What I will give credit for with western 3d animations is they tend to animate better than their Japanese counterparts that tend to look more rigid, but the "western" blobby style facilitates that more. Also to be fair, this is a case of an established 2d franchise in a medium that was traditionally done in 2d going 3d. I'm ok with Toy story being 3d because it was since the beginning, I wasn't a fan of the old Buzz lightyear cartoon because the character looked weird to me in 2d. Just my two cents.
I think also it being marketed as a movie if this was announced as an OVA or something i doubt it would be as much backlash.

Peoples perceptions of films change based on other films around them.Once Broly came out fans expected the next movie to be on par or better and if the movie didnt meet expectations it will be rejected by the greater portion of the fandom.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Brolys kid sparring with teen Goten and Trunks would be fun to watch

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:28 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:49 pm
i mentioned this before in this very same thread Iyoku & Hayashida CONSTANTLY seem to be unable to get read on the pulse of what the DB fandom would like to see. I know DB isnt on the same level but look at the MCU. Kevin Feige's uncanny ability to read the pulse of the MCU fandom plays a big part in why their movies are so successful. I think at the least the very least Hayashida as a producer for draagonball needs to be replaced.
Yeah, they often talk about "meeting fan expectations" but it mostly seems to result in the franchise having a very inconsistent direction at the moment, almost like everyone's working against each other. It's like we finally have a film pushing the story in a naturally forward-looking direction that fans have been loudly requesting for years, but they've gone in this strange visual direction that sours the whole thing... I'm all for taking creative risks but the visual direction of Broly was by far the most acclaimed part of that film, why not stick with it?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:29 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:23 pm
It seems like they're slowly setting up a new cast with Pan and Uub, why not introduce Broly and Cheelais kid? I have a feeling it will happen
I mean, I get where you're coming from, but I personally feel like it's a little too soon to introduce a child from Broly, considering we still don't know much about Broly himself.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:37 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:23 pm
Now that would be interesting Pan,Oob,Bra, and Brolys kid :)

Alas, i dont think DB like that will be accepted without Goku being the main focus unless you drastically change things

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:41 pm

My two cents:

-The animation strikes me as an unfortunate step down from the previous movie. The problem with anime movies trying to do CGI is that they’re generally made on a lower budget than Hollywood movies, so the animation runs the risk of looking janky, which unfortunately looks like the case in that teaser.

-I wasn’t expecting Broly to be in this movie, but I assume he won’t play a significant role.

-I can’t say I’m too thrilled with the idea that the RRA is involved in some capacity. As much as I enjoy the RRA arc, I don’t see what else there is left to do with them. Still, I guess that’s not any worse than falling back on Freeza again.

-It sounds like this movie will be the last bit of content that takes place before EoZ. If nothing else, I’m glad for that.