Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:51 pm

What a weird movie. I knew Pan had been mentioned before, but it is kinda weird to have a movie that's the closet to EOZ while the manga doesn't seem to be close to reach that moment. then again...I imagine this is intentional: You don't have to worry about any weird discussions about whether or not the manga or anime is the canon storyline. Hell...that was pretty much the case with Broly, which went out of its way to ignore most story elements from either adaptations.

I kinda dig the CG...though I do agree that it looks like a slightly better version of the recent DBZ: Kakarrot video game.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:55 pm

Don't know if anyone's picked up on this yet...
On the far left there's an android pod with a red number 1 above it, just like the 1 on Gamma 1's chest. It's even got cables attached above it running towards the monitor in the middle that's showing characters like Goku, Vegeta, Boo and Mr Satan. Gamma 1 and 2 were probably created by the Red Ribbon army to act like super heroes and think that the main cast are villains.

I don't think Goku, Vegeta and even Broly will play big roles in the story. Goku's probably having too much fun training with Broly on Beerus's world and will see Gamma 1 and 2 as a good training opportunity for Pan and Piccolo.

HD Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5g9Zh-bkE

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:07 pm

I hope Freeza does show up because it can be his chance to finally meet Mr. Satan. Freeza is the only main villain in DBZ that Mr. Satan has not meet yet.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:43 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:55 pm Don't know if anyone's picked up on this yet...
On the far left there's an android pod with a red number 1 above it, just like the 1 on Gamma 1's chest. It's even got cables attached above it running towards the monitor in the middle that's showing characters like Goku, Vegeta, Boo and Mr Satan. Gamma 1 and 2 were probably created by the Red Ribbon army to act like super heroes and think that the main cast are villains.

I don't think Goku, Vegeta and even Broly will play big roles in the story. Goku's probably having too much fun training with Broly on Beerus's world and will see Gamma 1 and 2 as a good training opportunity for Pan and Piccolo.

I did not pick up on that. Good eye, Swagger.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:01 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:33 pm
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:32 pm Did anyone else notice that really interesting scene of what looked like Pan going or at least trying to go Super Saiyan? I noticed that at first glance.
Hey, perhaps she will become the first Super Saiyan girl to deserve the transformation :P
A kindergarten kid deserve to become a super saiyan more then 2 adults?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:01 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:55 pm Don't know if anyone's picked up on this yet...

Oh so now there are TWO MORE androids?
That makes eight, DO I HEAR NINE?!!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:04 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:01 am
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:32 pm Did anyone else notice that really interesting scene of what looked like Pan going or at least trying to go Super Saiyan? I noticed that at first glance.
Hey, perhaps she will become the first Super Saiyan girl to deserve the transformation :P
I was only teasing them, lol.

To answer your question, no. I actually DONT want to see another little child get a SSJ Bargain Sale coupon.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:04 am

Zinnia wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:43 pm Didm't Piccolo's voice Mr. Furukawa say that he finished recording? doesn't this happen if the movie is already complete?
Dubbing for traditional animation usually happens against fairly complete animation in Japan, since they can't adjust the timing of the visuals again afterward. (Conversely, in the US it tends to happen ahead of animation, and then they time the animation to the voices.)

CGI allows for a lot more flexibility, though, as models can be adjusted and shots retimed and reanimated at any point. They could have recorded the voicework against something fairly rough in this case.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:08 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:04 am

To answer your question, no. I actually DONT want to see another little child get a SSJ Bargain Sale coupon.
Not gonna lie....i actually want her to get super saiyan just to see the reaction from the fanbase lol

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:01 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:08 am
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:04 am

Not gonna lie....i actually want her to get super saiyan just to see the reaction from the fanbase lol
I would roll my eyes to the heavens

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:59 am

My 2 cents:

+ Secondary characters getting the spotlight.
+ Red Ribbon Army returning.
+ The new heroes/villains.
+ Honoring the manga colors (even Majin Boo has his blue-colored tongue).

- The CG animation is so not my cup of tea.

Very disappointing approach after what they accomplished in Super: Broly.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:12 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:59 am + Honoring the manga colors (even Majin Boo has his blue-colored tongue).
Too bad Bulma still has blue hair. One of the many things that made Path to Power the best movie in franchise for me was Bulma having purple hair and i wish we saw more of that.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:21 am

I think there's so much potential for Pan. I wouldn't even mind something like her being naturally acclimated to the god forms due to her being part of the god ritual when she was in the womb.

It'd be a Toriyama-like gag if she tries the whole film to turn super saiyan and fails, but by the end accidently activates super saiyan god instead :P people would be very mad but I'd love it

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:27 am

I wonder if Oatmeel from the Granolah arc will somehow connect with the red Ribbon in Super Hero?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:35 am

Miracles wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:27 am I wonder if Oatmeel from the Granolah arc will somehow connect with the red Ribbon in Super Hero?
I don’t think this film is connected to the manga at all

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:11 am

People say it looks like a video game....but I actually say the video game looks better:

https://youtu.be/GMaw6afydYw?t=165

The best looking cutscenes from Kakarot look exciting and lack the thick lines used in the Hero trailer, which reminds me of early cell-shaded video games.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:29 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:12 amToo bad Bulma still has blue hair. One of the many things that made Path to Power the best movie in franchise for me was Bulma having purple hair and i wish we saw more of that.
She had blue hair in the manga from the beginning. And although there were instances where she was drawn with purple hair, Toriyama seems to have settled on blue for years.

Honestly, if there's a pet peeve of mine is that the anime hasn't fully conformed to the manga/Toriyama palette. They've only been doing it lately and bit by bit. They should do it fully, once and for all. There's no excuse for only after all these years characters like Krillin and Piccolo being properly revised.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:31 am

Jord wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:11 am People say it looks like a video game....but I actually say the video game looks better:

The best looking cutscenes from Kakarot look exciting and lack the thick lines used in the Hero trailer, which reminds me of early cell-shaded video games.
Eh. The film’s CG may look mediocre, but at least the color palette isn’t as bright or saturated as DB Kakarot.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:54 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:59 am My 2 cents:

+ Secondary characters getting the spotlight.
+ Red Ribbon Army returning.
+ The new heroes/villains.
+ Honoring the manga colors (even Majin Boo has his blue-colored tongue).

- The CG animation is so not my cup of tea.

Very disappointing approach after what they accomplished in Super: Broly.
Animation still in 1990s feel but not in the design used from 2010s. I wonder if DBS anime will adapt that style if the series returns in the future using the name used from 2015-2018?
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:15 am

Jord wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:11 am People say it looks like a video game....but I actually say the video game looks better:

Yeah the games look much better, even the FighterZ cutscenes look better IMO, though those have limited animation. If I'm honest, the cutscenes from the original Budokai feel more organic and lifelike and that's a PS2 game
https://youtu.be/zXfQbGOPL3o?t=90
https://youtu.be/zXfQbGOPL3o?t=1915

I just hope that they prioritize an organic feel and good quality. Some scenes did look really promising, so maybe there's nothing to worry about.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-