Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:30 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:27 pm I really don't like the CGI. But that crowd's gotten so damn toxic about it... There's a difference between not liking someone's style and downplaying the work and effort that's being put into something. It's gotten pretty disrespectful.
Dragon Ball fans being toxic?! まさか!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:40 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:30 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:27 pm I really don't like the CGI. But that crowd's gotten so damn toxic about it... There's a difference between not liking someone's style and downplaying the work and effort that's being put into something. It's gotten pretty disrespectful.
Dragon Ball fans being toxic?! まさか!
I'm genuinely surprised at how low the toxicity usually is compared to other large communities. I just hate how vile the fanbase can be to it's own creators and talents or how little the base understand the industry as it is in Japan.

It seems we save all the nastyness for the people who actually work on the property.

RigidPoem15490

Post by RigidPoem15490 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:50 pm

honestly, most modern anime that are popular have toxic fandoms that will murder if either someone doesn't agree with there opinion, or they did not get exactly what they wanted. ex. demon slayer, boku no hero academia, RWBY fandom etc.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:56 pm

I think when Iyoku kept going on and on about how hard they worked on the placement of the #2 on one of the gammas uniforms. & also saying these guys were never before seen styled characters in the entire franchise pissed people even more.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:58 pm

Dragon Ball, Star Wars and Harry Potter. Those are the most TOXIC fandoms I know (of the franchises that I saw thoroughly). In Dragon Ball the worst are Vegeta's fans if it comes to liked characters.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:03 pm

Honestly the CGI is pretty good. If you frame through that one Goku shot in the middle all the details are there. The shadows are on point the lines are faithful to the show, the model is very good. The explosion in the Piccolo shot. It’s all kinda sick.
Buttt… this is just a bad trailer. It’s like these are the 12 shots that are done and now we have to put them in a trailer without any real rhyme or reason. It’s super incoherent with shots that don’t work as a trailer shots.
That car scene? Using shots of a character talking and not hearing what they’re saying? That’s just bad. That Gamma1 guy’s look? I’m sure it’ll be perfectly fine in the context of the movie, but ughh, would never choose that shot for a trailer o.o at least not as long as it’s shown here.
This feels like a rushjob, just to have something ready, anything. Most of the shots look pretty great though! I really wish we got more of the god-tier animation from the Broly movie… but all in all, the cgi is pretty good if you ask me.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:07 pm

worldmonsters wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:03 pm Honestly the CGI is pretty good. If you frame through that one Goku shot in the middle all the details are there. The shadows are on point the lines are faithful to the show, the model is very good. The explosion in the Piccolo shot. It’s all kinda sick.
Buttt… this is just a bad trailer. It’s like these are the 12 shots that are done and now we have to put them in a trailer without any real rhyme or reason. It’s super incoherent with shots that don’t work as a trailer shots.
That car scene? Using shots of a character talking and not hearing what they’re saying? That’s just bad. That Gamma1 guy’s look? I’m sure it’ll be perfectly fine in the context of the movie, but ughh, would never choose that shot for a trailer o.o at least not as long as it’s shown here.
This feels like a rushjob, just to have something ready, anything. Most of the shots look pretty great though! I really wish we got more of the god-tier animation from the Broly movie… but all in all, the cgi is pretty good if you ask me.
I am hoping that TOEI intentionally picked some of their least good looking scenes to make the trailer in order to fix the audience's expectations low and then exceed them when the film is released.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 pm

LightBing wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:14 pmI really hope Goku spends most of the movie punching Broly in Beerus planet and doesn't show up much.
DB fans are truly the kind of fan that don't want their MC to get screentime.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:20 pm

So, it seems Red Ribbon knows that Vegeta is "Vegeta IV" somehow. And for the first time ever, Mister Satan's real name also appears in-universe.

For those who have better eyes than me:

Hopefully they also start referring to the androids as "Lapis" and "Lazuli" eventually.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 pm
LightBing wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:14 pmI really hope Goku spends most of the movie punching Broly in Beerus planet and doesn't show up much.
Can't blame them, we have enough of Goku.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:40 pm

I'm keen for this. I like that it appears to be doing something different, it's not trying to be hype like Broly was. It's also nice that they appear to be genuinely focusing on Pan and Piccolo. It'll be good to have a break from Vegeta hogging the 2IC role.

I think there are a few things people have to make peace with. The CGI is one, we've known about this for a while, might as well accept it. I think the aesthetic looks nice, but I'd want to see more than just rapid teaser cuts like we got here. The other is Goten and Trunks- everyone is going on about how they need to be aged up. Guys, they're not going to be in this movie. Evidently no one involved with the current production of Dragon Ball cares enough to include them, you only have to look at everything from Resurrection F onwards to see that.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:43 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:20 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 pm
Can't blame them, we have enough of Goku.
Fans who don't want to see Goku (the defining character of Dragon Ball) might as well stop following up with the franchise.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:39 pm

Crazy thought, but where not really far off from a Goku/Broly fusion....

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:12 pm

CGI anime can work. I personally think that Lupin the First was awesome and looked great but most of the time CGI anime just would of looked better as classic anime. Well atleast the random CG fight segments won't be as distracting as the last 3 movies and I still look forward to the story.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:12 pm

Kinda strange that they still haven’t revealed who’s directing the film and who the lead character designer is. They’ve spent all this time showing off these character sheets and didn’t even give credit for who drew them. :lol:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:50 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:39 pm Crazy thought, but where not really far off from a Goku/Broly fusion....
That would probably be overkill. I mean, Broly as a normal Super Saiyan is stronger the Goku in Blue form. Super Saiyan Blue Karoly would be OP as HFIL.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:51 pm

My thoughts on the trailer are as follows.

1. Movie in Full CGI: Not a good idea. It may essentially be a cleaner version of the DBO trailers done, but though it may look "cool", after we got Shintani for the last movie, this feels like a solid step downward. I don't understand the reason for a downgrade after the pure love the Broly movie received. And yes, the video-gamey CGI fight bits in that movie were a bit distracting, but they weren't nearly as bad as the last two films. CGI does have its place in animation and film. However, it would need to be near perfect to work. We've already seen what happens when you don't polish it and make it work for you. Look no further than the Duke of Death and his Maid.

2.The Red Ribbon Plot: Could we just not? The RRA was annihilated by Kid Goku way back in the day and all its leadership was wiped out. Only Gero seemingly survived and he already spent decades planning his revenge, which culminated in the Android and Cell Arcs. There is literally no reason to once more revive the RRA. They already pulled the same schtick with Dragon Ball FighterZ and introducing Android 21. Aka Gero's Wife. The RRA is already overused and the fact we're getting more Android Types is, honestly, way overdone. Especially after the sheer nonsense with the DBS manga and using Seven-Three the way they have.

3. Super Hero Theme: I don't really have a problem with veering away from the cosmic battles to focus on something more mundane, like Super Heroes. However you can't just scale that far back and ignore everything else that's been established. If they wanted to focus on the concept of Heroes, then they should also focus on the concept of Failed Heroes. What happens to those who don't make the cut? Do they always all just give up? Or are there some who feel cut out and held back by those deciding what a True Hero is and decide to go against them?

This could've been an opportunity to delve more into the events of other universes. Such as Universe 11 and what happens to those who don't make it or don't get chosen to be Pride Troopers. What are the Pride Troopers if not a team of Super Heroes protecting the universe? And is it not a fact that some members weren't exactly lovers of justice before they were brought on board? There is already so much that could be touched upon that is being left to rot.

4. Character Design: Lacking. The new androids are a riff off the old RRA uniforms (which was a riff of WW2 German uniforms) and Cyborg-009.

5. Time Skip: This creates the inherent problem of having to explain what everyone else has been up to during that missing period. Especially when we have the new Broly along with Cheelai and Lemo, who're keeping on the down low and away from Freeza. There is so much they could've been off doing and it's all going to be ignored and glossed over.

At the end of it all, I'm just not thrilled with this. It'll probably be a fine movie. But I'm fairly certain I won't mind missing it when it airs.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:13 am

It's not my preference, but I don't mind it. I think the technology still has a ways to go before movement and motion can emulate organic animation--of course we've only seen about 40 seconds of it but it looks like at times they're trying to go for low framerate animation to replicate a hand-drawn look which just looks jerky, and other times its just too fluid and looks like a video game. As it stands, still shots look like Toriyama's current style in animated form, which is awesome and I would take it a thousand times over going back to Yamamuro's soulless look.

There's certainly something to be desired with the overall appearance but at the end of the day it won't adversely effect my enjoyment of the film.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:25 am

i think it's a smart move for them to do this movie in cgi, it allows them to experiment while making the point of this being in a different tone.

Making another action packed movie will inevitably tire the audience and who are we to complain ? For once they are doing something different, let's just hope they don't stray too far (like making Pan the new MC for example :lolno: ) and pray for the cgi to look better.
Heck ! What if Disney get involved in this and help with the animation ? :D

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:52 am

I highly doubt we'll see any good shots from the movie until near the release date. Those will take the longest.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:06 am

So the one thing that does sadden me about this film is the unlikelihood of seeing the Universe 6 Saiyans. :( It seems Toriyama just doesn’t want to do anything with them or anyone from the other universes. Hopefully one day, we’ll see my girl, Caulifla, return to Dragon Ball. Hopefully one day… :cry:
Caulifla best girl! :)