Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by The Monkey King » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:34 pm

I can honestly see this film bombing so hard it outright kills the Dragon Ball Revival era kickstarted by Battle of Gods.

From what I've seen this film has zero hype behind it after that God awful teaser trailer, the first new proper Dragon Ball animated content in over three years and we're getting low stakes, CGI and the return of the Red Ribbon Army... there's NOTHING for casual fans to be excited for.

I honestly have no problem with Dragon Ball having more laidback stories like "Yo Son Goku & Friend's Return" as I quite liked that OVA, but that's the thing... it was just an OVA, having such tepid content for a theatrical release people will have to go out of their way to attend cinemas and pay for is an awful idea and extremely out of touch.

Hopefully the next trailer can dismiss my concerns and show off some good GCI animated fight scenes because my outlook for this film is bleak atm.

One last thing, this film's name is fucking stupid.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:44 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:34 pmOne last thing, this film's name is fucking stupid.
From the man who gave us Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, you're surprised we'd get a name like Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero? He probably gave the title that redundancy on purpose.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:49 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:44 pm
The Monkey King wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:34 pmOne last thing, this film's name is fucking stupid.
From the man who gave us Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, you're surprised we'd get a name like Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero? He probably gave the title that redundancy on purpose.
I swear sometimes some fans can't take a gag lightly
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:17 pm

The movie isn't even set to come for a long while, of course we know next to nothing about it or how intense the battles are going to be.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:08 am

To be honest, even as someone who's planning to see the movie anyway, the trailer was very underwhelming. Watching CGI lips flap with no voices behind them? Who thought that was something we wanted to see? If you don't have any excitint action scenes to show us, just show off some good looking stills instead. There were a few parts of the trailer that looked good. Pan powering up, that zoom on to Piccolo's face, but that's about it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:58 am

The appeal of this movie gotta be the possibility of seeing characters grown up. As much as I like "slice of life", it can easily get bored and pointless. Especially if it doesn't bring anything worthwhile.

Tarble OVA had the merit to introduce Vegeta's brother and it was short. Movie 14 had the merit to introduce a new deity and the Multiverse, so I can let that one slide, even though not only it was another slice of life, it was focused on Bulma, when it could've had a more interesting setting (focused on Chi-Chi. Kuririn and Android 18's wedding. Gohan and Videl's wedding. Enough of Bulma, please).

It's great to have Piccolo and Pan to get the spotlight, yes, but they alone don't warrant movie (unless Pan gets Super Saiyan and mainly Piccolo gets the red-eyed transformation!). It has to be an OVA or a TV Special, keep it short. So the only thing getting my attention is the possibility of finally seeing Goten, Trunks, Pan, Bra and Marron older. Which is something that we should already be seeing for a long time now anyway. As well as some characters finally changing their outfits, I might add. Take that away, if I don't even see the characters all grown up...
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:26 am

Jump Festa is next month so hopefully we learn more about the movie. I still think a low stakes slice of life story is more fitting now than a major universe/multiverse threatening villain especially since we're so close to EoZ.

This might be the opportunity for something different whereas another major villain will probably be a repeat of what we've seen before. It could be like Zamasu where they acknowledge Zeno would be upset if he found out so they try to defeat the villain on their own or like the ToP where Zeno himself is threatening the multiverse. I think that's why the stories after the ToP have only involved U7.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:23 am

"Anti Aging Day"... I... I don't even... :|

Toriyama, you forget a thousand things every day, make sure this is one of them.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:36 am

The Monkey King wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:34 pm I can honestly see this film bombing so hard it outright kills the Dragon Ball Revival era kickstarted by Battle of Gods.

From what I've seen this film has zero hype behind it after that God awful teaser trailer, the first new proper Dragon Ball animated content in over three years and we're getting low stakes, CGI and the return of the Red Ribbon Army... there's NOTHING for casual fans to be excited for.

I honestly have no problem with Dragon Ball having more laidback stories like "Yo Son Goku & Friend's Return" as I quite liked that OVA, but that's the thing... it was just an OVA, having such tepid content for a theatrical release people will have to go out of their way to attend cinemas and pay for is an awful idea and extremely out of touch.

Hopefully the next trailer can dismiss my concerns and show off some good GCI animated fight scenes because my outlook for this film is bleak atm.

After all the work they did reviving this franchise from the dead Toei would be fools to kill it in such a manner but it seems that’s what they might be doing :| .Hopefully they don’t think we are dumb of enough to buy the excuse you know they are gonna give when this movie fails. They’ll blame it on Covid like how they did with Digimon Adventure 2020 in the last fiscal report & why it “failed to capture an audience” :D. Which won’t fly not when other 2-D animated anime films have rocked it at the box office.

Aside from Evolution( and even then that made atleast the budget back 30mil budget vs 58 million box office) & the other old live action DB films. Has an animated Dragonball movie ever flopped completely & bombed?

I agree the trailer brought ZERO hype whatsoever compare that to when the Broly trailer dropped it damn near felt similar to the hype you get from a Avengers movie trailer.

And the bad thing is I really feel like this is the last movie they just aren’t saying it. I say that based on what Torishima said on pg6 in this interview from 2yrs ago. It seems Kozo Morishita was the main one pushing for Super to be made & possibly the movies by extension (sorry for any inaccuracies it’s machine translated) https://www.itmedia.co.jp/business/arti ... 020_6.html
& Ever since he stepped down as chairman of I feel Toei went into freefall mode with doing anything 2-d animated with DB (besides Heroes :sick:) This new movie wouldn’t count since they were working on this as soon as Broly was released so this is probably one of the last things he may have green lighted as chairman (unfortunately)

Idk what the goal or purpose of making this type of movie is but I remember hearing in that 1st livestream vid Animeajay did with the other DB youtubers that rumor around the campfire was that Toei wants to dethrone Demon Slayer Mugen Train from #1 spot . Dragonball with its ability to draw crowds could do it but you’d need an DBS Infinity War type movie with an all star production team & Nagamine at the helm directing to do such a feat. Not this amateur hour 3D gag junk we are getting.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:24 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:36 am
The Monkey King wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:34 pm I can honestly see this film bombing so hard it outright kills the Dragon Ball Revival era kickstarted by Battle of Gods.

After all the work they did reviving this franchise from the dead Toei would be fools to kill it in such a manner but it seems that’s what they might be doing :| .Hopefully they don’t think we are dumb of enough to buy the excuse you know they are gonna give when this movie fails. They’ll blame it on Covid like how they did with Digimon Adventure 2020 in the last fiscal report & why it “failed to capture an audience” :D. Which won’t fly not when other 2-D animated anime films have rocked it at the box office.

Aside from Evolution( and even then that made atleast the budget back 30mil budget vs 58 million box office) & the other old live action DB films. Has an animated Dragonball movie ever flopped completely & bombed?

I agree the trailer brought ZERO hype whatsoever compare that to when the Broly trailer dropped it damn near felt similar to the hype you get from a Avengers movie trailer.

And the bad thing is I really feel like this is the last movie they just aren’t saying it. I say that based on what Torishima said on pg6 in this interview from 2yrs ago. It seems Kozo Morishita was the main one pushing for Super to be made & possibly the movies by extension (sorry for any inaccuracies it’s machine translated) https://www.itmedia.co.jp/business/arti ... 020_6.html
& Ever since he stepped down as chairman of I feel Toei went into freefall mode with doing anything 2-d animated with DB (besides Heroes :sick:) This new movie wouldn’t count since they were working on this as soon as Broly was released so this is probably one of the last things he may have green lighted as chairman (unfortunately)

Idk what the goal or purpose of making this type of movie is but I remember hearing in that 1st livestream vid Animeajay did with the other DB youtubers that rumor around the campfire was that Toei wants to dethrone Demon Slayer Mugen Train from #1 spot . Dragonball with its ability to draw crowds could do it but you’d need an DBS Infinity War type movie with an all star production team & Nagamine at the helm directing to do such a feat. Not this amateur hour 3D gag junk we are getting.
Yes but as i said 2d animated movie will not attract that kind of audience at this day and age , this is the same reason when the killing joke released in 2d it only earned 4 million at box office and since then WB completely gave up on theatrical 2d animated movie releases and since then they only releasing 2d animated movie's like- superman : man of tomorrow, justice league dark apokolips war, and injustice in home video.There is just no market for 2d animated theatrical movies anymore so when broly movie made 100 million plus thats itself a huge acivement , but i can gurantee you if it was 250 million dollar live action marvel budget movie with disney level marketing it would have made 1billion + worldwide. Now for the plot i think its toriyama's decision to go this route, plus the editors said there will be healthy level of drama and combat at the same time.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:33 am

Morishita was terrible at his job as chairman and actively meddled with the production of DBS to the point that it harmed the production schedule of the series.

The reason we're getting a 3D film is to both get a new film out while also not upsetting the balance of the production schedules of their other 2D productions.

Toei has a history of good 3D films. Maybe actually wait until the goddamned thing has had more than five minutes of production time before saying shit like 'amateur hour' about a film being produced by a small number of under-paid and rushed artists.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:02 pm

Toei should honestly recruit someone from Arc System Works to assist them, they've perfected making 3D animation look like anime. I hope it turns out nice looking, but either way I'm sure it will be a fun story and pull in plenty of money for Toei to fund their next Dragon Ball project.

As for it possibly being the last Dragon Ball movie, I highly doubt that. If I remember correctly, the financial reports I've seen from Toei show Dragon Ball to be one of their most profitable franchises and they're not gonna just toss out their gold laying goose.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:07 pm

When the movie is a flop

Fans: See, we told you.

When the movie is a success

Fans: It's because of the Dragon Ball name.

Toai and Toriyama is in a no-win situation and it's sad to see a fanbase be this pathetic.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:42 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:02 pm Toei should honestly recruit someone from Arc System Works to assist them, they've perfected making 3D animation look like anime. I hope it turns out nice looking, but either way I'm sure it will be a fun story and pull in plenty of money for Toei to fund their next Dragon Ball project.

As for it possibly being the last Dragon Ball movie, I highly doubt that. If I remember correctly, the financial reports I've seen from Toei show Dragon Ball to be one of their most profitable franchises and they're not gonna just toss out their gold laying goose.
Correction It is not one of the profitable franchise it is THE profitable franchise and it is THE most profitable media franchise for shueshia and toei IP wise that dethroned gundam in 2018 and 2019 consecutively. One piece and naruto not even came close.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:24 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:24 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:36 am

Yes but as i said 2d animated movie will not attract that kind of audience at this day and age , this is the same reason when the killing joke released in 2d it only earned 4 million at box office and since then WB completely gave up on theatrical 2d animated movie releases and since then they only releasing 2d animated movie's like- superman : man of tomorrow, justice league dark apokolips war, and injustice in home video.There is just no market for 2d animated theatrical movies anymore so when broly movie made 100 million plus thats itself a huge acivement , but i can gurantee you if it was 250 million dollar live action marvel budget movie with disney level marketing it would have made 1billion + worldwide. Now for the plot i think its toriyama's decision to go this route, plus the editors said there will be healthy level of drama and combat at the same time.
Another thing I failed to mention in this post that demon slayer movie success is a lighting in a bottle style and came from nowhere, but it should be noted that demon slayer movie adapted a manga arc and turn it into a movie which has not been done before for ANY SHONEN FRANCHISE.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:16 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:42 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:02 pm Toei should honestly recruit someone from Arc System Works to assist them, they've perfected making 3D animation look like anime. I hope it turns out nice looking, but either way I'm sure it will be a fun story and pull in plenty of money for Toei to fund their next Dragon Ball project.

Correction It is not one of the profitable franchise it is THE profitable franchise and it is THE most profitable media franchise for shueshia and toei IP wise that dethroned gundam in 2018 and 2019 consecutively. One piece and naruto not even came close.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to commit to saying it 😅

Dragon Ball definitely isn't going anywhere. It might be awhile before we see the TV series return, but I believe it's gonna happen eventually, and there's gonna be plenty of other things released in the meantime.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:20 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:07 pm When the movie is a flop

Fans: See, we told you.

When the movie is a success

Fans: It's because of the Dragon Ball name.

Toai and Toriyama is in a no-win situation and it's sad to see a fanbase be this pathetic.
Nah, they're gonna win, they're gonna win all the way to the bank with their piles of money. And I bet you those disgruntled fans will still watch or buy whatever they release, despite what they say online.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:23 pm

Let's calm down with the breathless doomsaying. First of all, there's a lot of people in this thread saying they're excited about the ideas behind this movie and are looking forward to it. I know this, because I read the thread and I too am one of those people.

Second of all, its really boring lol. Complaining and whining gets old fast.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:28 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:24 am Yes but as i said 2d animated movie will not attract that kind of audience at this day and age , this is the same reason when the killing joke released in 2d it only earned 4 million at box office and since then WB completely gave up on theatrical 2d animated movie releases and since then they only releasing 2d animated movie's like- superman : man of tomorrow, justice league dark apokolips war, and injustice in home video.There is just no market for 2d animated theatrical movies anymore so when broly movie made 100 million plus thats itself a huge acivement , but i can gurantee you if it was 250 million dollar live action marvel budget movie with disney level marketing it would have made 1billion + worldwide. Now for the plot i think its toriyama's decision to go this route, plus the editors said there will be healthy level of drama and combat at the same time.
Budgets for Marvel's big films are well over 250mil and given the fact movie review sites are skewed to heavily favor Disney with literally tens of thousands of Audience reviews being "purged" as an artificial way of raising the scores on certain films, it's really not a question of how people are tricked into seeing them. However, their box office drops have been getting worse over time and even Disney is being forced to see this. All their latest films heavily underperformed.

The reason why most 2D films don't get as much buzz is simply because these franchises and IP's aren't well noted or known by Parents and Adults in most countries. The only reason why the Pokemon movies ever did well was because they targeted the kids first with the games, got them hooked and then strung along the parents to keep their kids happy. The difference here is the only ones going to see Dragonball movies are Adults who grew up with the franchise, not younger kids who got hooked on it.

Either way, trying to say that 3d is the future because 2D isn't doing as well as Marvel or DC in the Live Action front is absolutely laughable given the majority of attempts at 3D animated features or anime have done extremely poorly. Plus Live Action anime adaptations have far more failures than successes. Frankly, staying with and improving the 2D art style is the best way to go. 3D is cheaper and takes less time, but it also shows laziness and doesn't invoke a lot o faith from the fans.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:49 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:36 amIdk what the goal or purpose of making this type of movie is but I remember hearing in that 1st livestream vid Animeajay did with the other DB youtubers that rumor around the campfire was that Toei wants to dethrone Demon Slayer Mugen Train from #1 spot . Dragonball with its ability to draw crowds could do it but you’d need an DBS Infinity War type movie with an all star production team & Nagamine at the helm directing to do such a feat. Not this amateur hour 3D gag junk we are getting.
I think dethroning Mugen Train would be nearly impossible since it grossed more than double the last three DB movies combined. Mugen Train was also a huge outlier because the highest grossing films from an existing franchise after that were Stand by Me Doraemon at #7 and Pokemon: The First Movie at #9. Both were below $200 million and it would be impressive if any DB movie managed to reach them.