Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:01 pm

omaro34 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:23 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:17 am I doubt Vegeta will have much screentime, they seem to be pushing Piccolo, Pan, Gohan and Goku. I feel he is going to be more like his self from the Yo Son Goku and Friends film.
They troll us with Piccolo often, they promo'd him in the Broly movie, and it didn't mean anything. I do agree that Pan will play a big role though. Piccolo's role I bet will be just as a master, not a real combatant.
He had nothing to offer in the Broly movie, but in this more relaxed movie I think he might be billed like a main star. Sure, I don't think he'll fight any big bad, nor do I think there will be a big bad. But I can see him being a big part here.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:03 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:56 pm
dbgtFO wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:52 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:42 am

Come on, you know the answer :lol:
Well we should also consider that Broly came not long after the very succesful anime ended. This movie does not have that kind of momentum to back it up.
Yeah, this forum was pretty alive back in 2005 when the run of DB was still fresh in US plus the games it brought to the international market and then it was in waves... Yo Son Goku and Battle of Gods, The Super anime. Now the series is again on stand-by or in a freezer, with nothing much going on, except for die-hard fans checking the Super manga and whatever one-off release is coming.
Thank god you didn't mention DBS Heroes. I know it's just a promotional anime, but there are fans out there that love fan service nonsense. I've seen fanfiction stories that beat Heroes by ten miles.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:17 pm

Dragon Ball Heroes is an extremely popular arcade game, being the number 1 digital card game in the market, running for over 9 years straight, and distributing over 700 million cards as of January 2019.[1] It made over 5 billion yen per year starting from 2011, surpassing the total of 40 billion yen. There are more than 3000 individual cards and 1,820,000 players. The 3DS versions of the game, Ultimate Mission 1 and 2, sold over 700k copies in total.[2]
https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Heroes

You know it's kind of funny, for all the shit Heroes gets, evidently it is popular and profitable. Maybe it's not *all* bad after all :think:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:21 pm

omaro34 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:03 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:56 pm
dbgtFO wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:52 am
Well we should also consider that Broly came not long after the very succesful anime ended. This movie does not have that kind of momentum to back it up.
Yeah, this forum was pretty alive back in 2005 when the run of DB was still fresh in US plus the games it brought to the international market and then it was in waves... Yo Son Goku and Battle of Gods, The Super anime. Now the series is again on stand-by or in a freezer, with nothing much going on, except for die-hard fans checking the Super manga and whatever one-off release is coming.
Thank god you didn't mention DBS Heroes. I know it's just a promotional anime, but there are fans out there that love fan service nonsense. I've seen fanfiction stories that beat Heroes by ten miles.
Fanfiction was really fly here, before Super! Lot of fun and interesting stuff. I don't follow it nowadays and even didn't as much back then, but is it still that popular among fans even with the oversaturation of DB stuff we have now?
I was into dojinshi a lot and was following the Multiverse fan-manga, until it introduced not so good extra chapters drawn by different fans.

IMHO, Heroes is not the main carrier of the franchise, definitely not here in the west, so it's just a niche stuff and kind of obscure one.
But I guess that it is pretty popular in Japan, like all the other gatcha and collecting crazy stuff.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:40 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:17 pm
Dragon Ball Heroes is an extremely popular arcade game, being the number 1 digital card game in the market, running for over 9 years straight, and distributing over 700 million cards as of January 2019.[1] It made over 5 billion yen per year starting from 2011, surpassing the total of 40 billion yen. There are more than 3000 individual cards and 1,820,000 players. The 3DS versions of the game, Ultimate Mission 1 and 2, sold over 700k copies in total.[2]
https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Heroes

You know it's kind of funny, for all the shit Heroes gets, evidently it is popular and profitable. Maybe it's not *all* bad after all :think:
That depends how you measure success. I can see children enjoying it though, but the adult me doesn't enjoy it. I measure success by a great plot, something Heroes does not provide at all. Seeing random fan service characters like Broly, Zamasu, Hit, Jiren coming out of nowhere to fight Hearts isn't fun at all.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:58 pm

kei17 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:04 am

That's probably the best review so far in this thread from what we know from this movie. I don't understand how Toei can be so dumb to downgrade something they achieved sucess in the past, Broly was a lackluster storywise but it had the best animation this franchise ever had!

Also it's clear that Toriyama is in creative bankruptcy, so many interesting plot points he could address like:

The Erased Universes, Planet Sadala, allies from other universes (Ribriane, Hit, Pride Troopers), Zalama, Yamoshi, heck even Heroes has more interesting stuff going on than the main core series. I mean who the hell would be hyped about the return of the Red Ribbon Army? An slice of life movie featuring Piccolo babysitting Pan and Goten, Trunks still doing no sh*t at all? It is written on the stars that this movie will be one big *ss failure and there's nothing to do about it.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:50 am Do you think we will see Ultra Ego Vegeta in the film?
Sure and we probably will get a Moro/Granola flashback too lol

Come on mate, if Toei did care about stuff from Toyotaro manga we would already have content about it. If the anime ever comes back they will skip this whole fluff for sure.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:20 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:58 pm

That's probably the best review so far in this thread from what we know from this movie. I don't understand how Toei can be so dumb to downgrade something they achieved sucess in the past, Broly was a lackluster storywise but it had the best animation this franchise ever had!

Also it's clear that Toriyama is in creative bankruptcy, so many interesting plot points he could address like:

The Erased Universes, Planet Sadala, allies from other universes (Ribriane, Hit, Pride Troopers), Zalama, Yamoshi, heck even Heroes has more interesting stuff going on than the main core series. I mean who the hell would be hyped about the return of the Red Ribbon Army? An slice of life movie featuring Piccolo babysitting Pan and Goten, Trunks still doing no sh*t at all? It is written on the stars that this movie will be one big *ss failure and there's nothing to do about it.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:50 am Do you think we will see Ultra Ego Vegeta in the film?

Come on mate, if Toei did care about stuff from Toyotaro manga we would already have content about it. If the anime ever comes back they will skip this whole fluff for sure.
Man, about Kei17 mentioning Netflix and TOEI, the Saint Seiya comes to my mind with really sour taste in my mouth… that was a horrible project!

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:52 am

Noah wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:58 pm

They are are not dumb because At this point the power creep is getting out of hand , current granolah arc making not much of a sense, so in my opinion they are doing the right thing to go in a different direction. I could be wrong but I dont think this movie will feature ultra ego let alone any transformation.Current Dragon Ball has no direction everything is complete rehash after rehash after rehash. Toyotaro is not fit to continue DB's legacy, at this point the only question that coming to my mind is if this story should end or go on.Toriyama has done enough for the industry ENOUGH that man earned it all.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:26 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:58 pm The Erased Universes, Planet Sadala, allies from other universes (Ribriane, Hit, Pride Troopers), Zalama, Yamoshi, heck even Heroes has more interesting stuff going on than the main core series. I mean who the hell would be hyped about the return of the Red Ribbon Army? An slice of life movie featuring Piccolo babysitting Pan and Goten, Trunks still doing no sh*t at all? It is written on the stars that this movie will be one big *ss failure and there's nothing to do about it.
I'm sorry but this is just straight up wrong. I'm not interested in the Salad planet, I don't want to revisit the awful, boring TOP characters and I'm not interested in their world. Heroes does not have anything interesting going on. I'm looking forward to this movie.

...now, of course this is MY opinion, just like you have your own opinion. However, you don't need to and SHOULDN'T ask "who the hell would be hyped" for this movie because you can look at this VERY THREAD and find people who are.

Anyway, as I said earlier, lets cool it with the breathless doomsaying.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:56 pm

I also have zero interest in exploring the other universes. Honestly, I wouldn't care if none of those characters ever show up again. They were fine for the TOP, but not interesting outside of that.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:06 pm

I dunno, it would be pretty unsatisfying to see Vegeta's loose ends with Cabba remain unresolved.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:12 pm

Agreed on the part about the 6 Erased Universes. Toriyama had the perfect opportunity to have 17's wish, which objectively had ambiguous wording, bring back the Universes 12-18 too, with all the villains and civilizations it might have had.

When ep. 131 first aired, countless people were speculating about the consequences of 17's ambiguous wish; if maybe Universes 12-18 were also restored, or if the Future timeline (along with Infinite Zamasu) was also restoreed by mistake.

But Nope, it didn't go anywhere.

Instead we get recycled Namekians and Red Ribbon force. Sometimes I wonder if Toriyama is legit sleeping to not see all these missed opportunities.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:50 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:12 pm Agreed on the part about the 6 Erased Universes. Toriyama had the perfect opportunity to have 17's wish, which objectively had ambiguous wording, bring back the Universes 12-18 too, with all the villains and civilizations it might have had.

When ep. 131 first aired, countless people were speculating about the consequences of 17's ambiguous wish; if maybe Universes 12-18 were also restored, or if the Future timeline (along with Infinite Zamasu) was also restoreed by mistake.

But Nope, it didn't go anywhere.

Instead we get recycled Namekians and Red Ribbon force. Sometimes I wonder if Toriyama is legit sleeping to not see all these missed opportunities.
We know from various interviews now that they hold group meetings to review several ideas for each film (one ended up being Broly) and manga arc (we ended up with Moro and Granolla).

Who's to say some of those ideas weren't "explore another universe" and such? I'd say it's actually more likely than not; it's not like the very people responsible for the stories don't know their own current stories. Thing is, Toriyama at the very least didn't feel compelled to tell those stories, and whatever push came from Shueisha was either in line with Toriyama's train of thought, or didn't outrank him.

Even if I don't end up liking the story being told, I'm far more interested in reading something that Toriyama and Toyotaro feel strongly about telling than one they feel pressured or obligated into.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:09 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:06 pm I dunno, it would be pretty unsatisfying to see Vegeta's loose ends with Cabba remain unresolved.
Maybe to people who find Cabba interesting. I honestly never liked him.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:11 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:09 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:06 pm I dunno, it would be pretty unsatisfying to see Vegeta's loose ends with Cabba remain unresolved.
I think the only people who have ever cared about Cabba were people discussing him in the context of him fucking Caulifla, which, well, says about all there is to say about him.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:25 pm

I honestly don't see what could be so interesting with planet Sadala. Vegeta meeting other saiyans who have nothing to do with him or his past, I mean, maybe if there was some Vegeta bloodline there or something, or if they happen to have some problem with the formerly evil U7 saiyans. I can't see that being more than just a friendly visit, that could also be an email.

Or with Cabba. Geets it's going down his own path now, he shouldn't have time to teach the basics to some scrawny kid. He already gave him the jumpstart he needed, he won't be holding his hand all the way down the line. At best I can see them meeting again in the future with Cabba pulling out SSB or something and try and see if he can take him.

None of the U6 saiyans left a big impression on me either, they had to fuse to made me like one of them. Maybe Caulifla is sort of ok, but she is too obnoxious for my taste.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:33 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:25 pm I honestly don't see what could be so interesting with planet Sadala. Vegeta meeting other saiyans who have nothing to do with him or his past, I mean, maybe if there was some Vegeta bloodline there or something, or if they happen to have some problem with the formerly evil U7 saiyans. I can't see that being more than just a friendly visit, that could also be an email.

Or with Cabba. Geets it's going down his own path now, he shouldn't have time to teach the basics to some scrawny kid. He already gave him the jumpstart he needed, he won't be holding his hand all the way down the line. At best I can see them meeting again in the future with Cabba pulling out SSB or something and try and see if he can take him.

None of the U6 saiyans left a big impression on me either, they had to fuse to made me like one of them. Maybe Caulifla is sort of ok, but she is too obnoxious for my taste.
Out of all of them, I liked Kefla the most, so I agree with that. I guess she's technically Caulifla personality-wise, but I liked the design/techniques of Kefla; of all of them, she left the most of an impression on me. She just felt like she was overflowing with power in the anime.

For me, the fact that Vegeta even offered is just a way of showing how much he's changed from before. That all I really need from it; I don't need to see him visit the planet, especially when I'm not invested in the character who is from there.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:03 pm

I have lived through Ledgic and Goku flying away on dragon, hence I can definitely miss seeing planet Salad :lol:

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:11 pm
I think the only people who have ever cared about Cabba were people discussing him in the context of him fucking Caulifla, which, well, says about all there is to say about him.
Nah, Cabba's cool. I think he's been misused though so I can't blame people for finding him bland, boring, and uninspiring. I can see a lot of potential for the character.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:08 pm

DBS: Super Hero will have a stage showing at this year Jump Festa, will feature Nozawa, Furukawa and the reveal of Gamma 1 and Gamma 2 VAs.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.