Why are so many DB creators becoming subject to Toei's wrath?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Why are so many DB creators becoming subject to Toei's wrath?

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:04 pm

I think a big part of the recent push by Mark is intentionally jabbing at how respect-oriented Japan is.

A supposed country built on respect, but then utter disrespect against foreigners specifically (or at least in a visible and public manner) in terms of how they handle such situations regarding copyright enforcement. Whether or not it actually is disrespectful in both ways is ultimately up to public opinion, but I think there's something to say when it comes to openly criticizing Japan's culture when confronting them about how it's affecting people.

Of course, there's also just Mark's own desperation and stress with little in the way of professional help.... which is ALSO a problem that Japan doesn't have a great track record on.

You can't just disregard these foreign influences so blatantly, but you also can't just sit back and let them take over and dictate things. That's the kind of lose-lose situation Mark is in.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:23 pm

I can say; this has shown me one thing... I grossly underestimated how much money Anime YTers make. I might even start a channel to get a cut of that action.

If I can get off just a shred of that juicy revenue before getting the Toei axe, I'll die a happy man.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:21 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:23 pm I can say; this has shown me one thing... I grossly underestimated how much money Anime YTers make. I might even start a channel to get a cut of that action.

If I can get off just a shred of that juicy revenue before getting the Toei axe, I'll die a happy man.
Only worth it if you've been doing the YouTube business for at least several years already or really strike gold.

It took 3 whole years for Mark to reach the heights he did as of this point in time, and took A LOT of hard work and dedication. That's not even mentioning having to deal with the sh*tty algorithm changing all the time, policy updates that make getting advertising revenue going extremely finnicky given the tiny middle ground between mature enough yet also not too mature, etc.

You definitely can't expect to make money on a whim.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:19 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:21 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:23 pm I can say; this has shown me one thing... I grossly underestimated how much money Anime YTers make. I might even start a channel to get a cut of that action.

Only worth it if you've been doing the YouTube business for at least several years already or really strike gold.

It took 3 whole years for Mark to reach the heights he did as of this point in time, and took A LOT of hard work and dedication. That's not even mentioning having to deal with the sh*tty algorithm changing all the time, policy updates that make getting advertising revenue going extremely finnicky given the tiny middle ground between mature enough yet also not too mature, etc.

Oh yeah, I was just joking.

Still, I really was shocked by the money they pulled in. That said, 'still sounds like a career I'd never heavily invest in. YT vids seem like more of a hobby or side project.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:35 pm

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that if TNM’s videos consisted of him just sitting in front of a camera and talking about Dragon Ball, with absolutely no visual accompaniment, then his channel never would’ve taken off like it did. Video essays in general are pretty reliant on editing together clips from the thing being talked about, to help illustrate the point being made. That’s what people like Lindsay Ellis do.

Hell, stuff like this is what put RedLetterMedia on the map. You think the Mr. Plinkett review of TPM would’ve taken off like it did if it hadn’t used any clips whatsoever?

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:48 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:15 pm Japan probably needs an overhaul in its copyright laws, but that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.
I feel like Japan is eventually just gonna like, die. From what I’ve heard the people, especially younger ones are refusing to participate in such a disgusting workplace environment, getting paid pennies, isolation, etc. honestly it’s no surprise, the country is run by conservatives. It’s funny how quickly society falls apart when you refuse to treat people as human beings.

Anyway I honestly wish I could take out all the Hikikomori’s and put them where I live, here you’d usually get help if you feel like life isn’t worth living and you want to rot away in your bedroom.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:10 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:35 pm I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that if TNM’s videos consisted of him just sitting in front of a camera and talking about Dragon Ball, with absolutely no visual accompaniment, then his channel never would’ve taken off like it did. Video essays in general are pretty reliant on editing together clips from the thing being talked about, to help illustrate the point being made. That’s what people like Lindsay Ellis do.

Hell, stuff like this is what put RedLetterMedia on the map. You think the Mr. Plinkett review of TPM would’ve taken off like it did if it hadn’t used any clips whatsoever?
No, but Half in the Bag and all of their other shows took off because they introduced more of their film making background into the reviews. I love those original three Plinkett reviews, but I've actually grown to love their current shows more because it allowed them to induce more of their craft. In other words RLM found an audience post Plinkett because they evolved. You can still find success even if you have to rely less on actual clips. (Not saying to abandon them entirely)
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:12 am

Aim wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:48 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:15 pm Japan probably needs an overhaul in its copyright laws, but that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.
I feel like Japan is eventually just gonna like, die. From what I’ve heard the people, especially younger ones are refusing to participate in such a disgusting workplace environment, getting paid pennies, isolation, etc. honestly it’s no surprise, the country is run by conservatives. It’s funny how quickly society falls apart when you refuse to treat people as human beings.

Anyway I honestly wish I could take out all the Hikikomori’s and put them where I live, here you’d usually get help if you feel like life isn’t worth living and you want to rot away in your bedroom.
I hope not, it's a beautiful country with a lovely art culture. But, they definitely need some workplace overhauls, and young people need to get more involved in voting. A lack of young people voting is actually a problem the country has been going through for some time.

This is from four years ago and apparently youth voter apathy is still a problem.
https://youtu.be/NY6FkP2jouk
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:50 am

Americans are the last people that should be looking at other countries and saying they "need to change". You're at the brink of civil war, have SOME self awareness, god damn.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:17 am

I think that we should respect other countries, but this is our space to voice opinions.
I wouldn't like to live in Japan as an European and find many things rudiculous from my point of view, but I never actually lived there and can base the facts just of a few Japanese friends and some educated people, who study the country, translate and understand the language and the culture beats to some extent and go there because of their work.
There is lot of cool and great things in Japan on the other hand and Dragon Ball is one of the products coming from there, shaped by the era it was created in and by the culture and place it was born in.

So I wouldn't be radical, because for sure, I can list lot of crappy things about pretty much every country, including my own.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:35 am

Adamant wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:50 am Americans are the last people that should be looking at other countries and saying they "need to change". You're at the brink of civil war, have SOME self awareness, god damn.
Again, people can care about multiple things at once. This fallacy is banal. :yawn:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:34 am

Agreed -- it's a fairly accurate broad point (what's that great quote about Americans as a whole being the ones who know the least about their country's own history?), but we can (and should) also discuss topics like the need for comprehensive copyright reform within the confines of something like... oh, I dunno... Dragon Ball!

Cool? Cool. :thumbup:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:55 pm

I dont want to create any controversy or any stupid nonsense like that but after he uploaded spider man review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCajHkPA6OM and listen what he said from 56:33 to 58:16 could that be a reason?Or I am just :crazy:. because CALLMEARJ, Mondo cool (and countless other channels) These guys are thriving with fan manga of DB and getting millions of views for each one on their channels, and as of untill now I never heard of them getting any copyright strikes.Its like they fired a shot to create an example otherwise how this video gone past toei's radar? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21QACAFWmlk

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:44 pm

I just wanted to note that "3 years of hard work" is not actually that long. In many fields it takes much longer, requires much harder work and, in many cases, expensive education to establish a career.

That's not intended to diminish anyone's accomplishments, or suggest that Youtubers don't "work hard", just want to make sure we're keeping things in perspective.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:02 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:44 pm

I just wanted to note that "3 years of hard work" is not actually that long. In many fields it takes much longer, requires much harder work and, in many cases, expensive education to establish a career.
It is when it comes to establishing a career in YouTube where there is no formal education currently that can prepare you for the trials and tribulations of maintaining content on it.

It's a wholly different experience than many contemporary fields, and definitely not any less difficult given the different kinds of necessary work required.

We're not comparing manual labour to doctors here; it's completely apples to oranges.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:23 pm

I saw the video Geekdom did about this. And he says it’s almost a fact Mark will get all the videos back (they’re just blocked) and he believes the reason this happened was possibly a new intern working at Toei who didn’t even watch the videos, simply stricked every one that he saw had an image of the show in the thumbnail, he believes this because of the way Mark watched every strike coming up in real time literally second by second.
The point is he says Marks vids should be considered fair use and if he apeals it’s 99% sure he’ll get them back up

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:42 pm

dva_raza wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:23 pm I saw the video Geekdom did about this. And he says it’s almost a fact Mark will get all the videos back (they’re just blocked) and he believes the reason this happened was possibly a new intern working at Toei who didn’t even watch the videos, simply stricked every one that he saw had an image of the show in the thumbnail, he believes this because of the way Mark watched every strike coming up in real time literally second by second.
The point is he says Marks vids should be considered fair use and if he apeals it’s 99% sure he’ll get them back up
Yeah, I saw that too.

I certainly hope that's the case.

At least TFS are helping Mark right now by encouraging people to support him during this time, even if they weren't aware of what would happen to his channel when they included him for their DBcember beforehand.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:07 pm

Let me get this straight:

Almost every video on a man’s YouTube channel alongside his whole YouTube career was jeopardized probably because of a slip up made by a mere intern?

Isn’t this just like how the beginning of Fusion Reborn went?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:17 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:04 pm I think a big part of the recent push by Mark is intentionally jabbing at how respect-oriented Japan is.

A supposed country built on respect, but then utter disrespect against foreigners specifically (or at least in a visible and public manner) in terms of how they handle such situations regarding copyright enforcement. Whether or not it actually is disrespectful in both ways is ultimately up to public opinion, but I think there's something to say when it comes to openly criticizing Japan's culture when confronting them about how it's affecting people.

Of course, there's also just Mark's own desperation and stress with little in the way of professional help.... which is ALSO a problem that Japan doesn't have a great track record on.

You can't just disregard these foreign influences so blatantly, but you also can't just sit back and let them take over and dictate things. That's the kind of lose-lose situation Mark is in.
I mean....it's capitalism. And yes...Japan absolutely has capitalism. It's about profit and control, and Toei is very interested in maintaining control over DB. This is a similar thing with Nintendo, and how they are ruthless in protecting their copyrights.

Keep in mind that Japan's "culture of respect" is almost certainly superficial. There is also a supposed "shame culture" as well in which people are shamed into the collective and those who get left behind get ridiculed (see Japan's problem with extreme bullying) as well as high suicide rates.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:26 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:07 pm Let me get this straight:

Almost every video on a man’s YouTube channel alongside his whole YouTube career was jeopardized probably because of a slip up made by a mere intern?
Pretty much lol. At least in Geekdom's assessment. And yeah, it's fucked up

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:42 pm
dva_raza wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:23 pm I saw the video Geekdom did about this. And he says it’s almost a fact Mark will get all the videos back (they’re just blocked) and he believes the reason this happened was possibly a new intern working at Toei who didn’t even watch the videos, simply stricked every one that he saw had an image of the show in the thumbnail, he believes this because of the way Mark watched every strike coming up in real time literally second by second.
Yeah, I saw that too.

I certainly hope that's the case.

At least TFS are helping Mark right now by encouraging people to support him during this time, even if they weren't aware of what would happen to his channel when they included him for their DBcember beforehand.
Yeah I hope so too
To be honest I have only seen one video of his, the one about Goku having a flat character arc and I found it very insightful/well made. I knew about this concept previously and it kinda frustrated me that it wasn’t known and understood regarding Goku specifically and and I'm glad he shared a very well made explanation about this. I think youtube video essays are valuable. Of couse you can read things online but I know many people prefer information being presented visually and it’s cool that exists nowdays.