Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Yuji » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:51 pm

Everyone is excited over Gohan's look but I'm just glad Vegeta finally ditched the armor again.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:35 pm

I’m not excited about Red Ribbon Army related villains again.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:14 pm

Always happy to see tank top Vegeta. Ambivalent about everything else. Still not on the cgi train, not a RR fan, I like light hearted stories in weekly series, but I'd rather have an adventure and a legit antagonist for a movie. It'll probably be alright, but nothing to write home about. Still excited for Jump Festa though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:47 pm

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm more excited for this movie now than I've been for the franchise in awhile.

I absolutely love Gohan's look. He looks unbelievably cool. Actually looks like he means business for once. Goku and Vegeta are really starting to feel like sideline characters this time, which is so hard to believe.

Villains look a bit goofy, but considering it's a retread of everything the RR has done (short guy in charge, androids) plus a little extra, I'm not upset.

I loved the RR arc in OG DB and if we get some if those flavors in this I'll be over the moon. Just hoping the CG doesn't take me out of it.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:04 pm

Yes, yes, yes!
Not only the poster is really cool looking design-wise, but Gohan in blue again going back to honor Piccolo and ditching the Z one, that was basically a one time gig in honor of his father and Vegeta not having armor and going back to the “final” Vegeta from Buu arc? Damn.

Can’t wait for more info, synopsis and movie itself. Of the characters on the poster will have screen time together and not going to extremes like just Pan and Piccolo or Goku takong over the whole show like in Super (of course, he will definitely save the day) - I am really hoping for some team movie and something similar to Battle Of Gods!

Actually, Vegeta getting armor had a sense of having his iconic look and explained in Yo! Special, that Saiyans wear armor as he basically had the jump suit because of Tenkaichi Budokai prohibiting protection. But as through video games and post Z materials, the look of the characters was frozen on their strongest feom the Buu arc, I am more used to this Vegeta than the Cell arc armor one!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:20 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:04 pm Yes, yes, yes!
Not only the poster is really cool looking design-wise, but Gohan in blue again going back to honor Piccolo and ditching the Z one, that was basically a one time gig in honor of his father and Vegeta not having armor and going back to the “final” Vegeta from Buu arc? Damn.

Can’t wait for more info, synopsis and movie itself. Of the characters on the poster will have screen time together and not going to extremes like just Pan and Piccolo or Goku takong over the whole show like in Super (of course, he will definitely save the day) - I am really hoping for some team movie and something similar to Battle Of Gods!

Actually, Vegeta getting armor had a sense of having his iconic look and explained in Yo! Special, that Saiyans wear armor as he basically had the jump suit because of Tenkaichi Budokai prohibiting protection. But as through video games and post Z materials, the look of the characters was frozen on their strongest feom the Buu arc, I am more used to this Vegeta than the Cell arc armor one!
Do you think IF the series continues after this movie should Vegeta keep this look or get a new costume entirely?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:28 pm

I wonder if the short guy is related to General Red in any way lol.
He too seems massively self-concious about his height, since he has that platform to stand on.
And his associate on the other hand is massive, even taller than Piccolo?? :shock:

It's such a weird poster to look at. Just another obvious sign that this is an atypical Dragon Ball movie.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:45 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:21 pmHonestly, that alone makes me happy. It always annoyed me that Super went back to his Cell arc look.
Also that they couldn't even keep his Movie 15 outfit, I'd be okay if they had ditched the Majin Buu saga one for that look, but not even that... :|

EDIT:
Grimlock wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:11 pmGive me proper teenagers Goten and Trunks, as well as kid Marron now. Bra should appear a bit older too.
I said "kid Marron" but if we go by her guidebook's birth year, she's 12 (if the movie takes place in AGE 783) or 13 (if it takes place in AGE 784), a teenager as well! Does she have nose by now!? :P
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:29 am

Chuquita wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:14 pm Always happy to see tank top Vegeta. Ambivalent about everything else. Still not on the cgi train, not a RR fan, I like light hearted stories in weekly series, but I'd rather have an adventure and a legit antagonist for a movie. It'll probably be alright, but nothing to write home about. Still excited for Jump Festa though.
Unless this movie becomes a social phenomenon and earn HUGE amount of money in japan(like DS did), I am not sure this movie will surpass BROLY. Some people are excited for Gohan but thats it, hope they market it well.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:07 am

That render of Gohan is the best he’s looked since the Buu arc. They finally got his hair right.

All of these models look really nice and they strongly resemble Toriyama’s modern DB artwork. Now it all comes down to how they look in motion for it to all work.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:40 am

I'm sold on the tone they seem to be going for with this film. Bringing back Gohan alongside Piccolo and Pan is icing on the cake,

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:09 am

Re: Vegeta's armor : The armor in all the past movies since Yo! symbolized the Saiyan-ness in those films : First his brother in a gathering, then Beerus and Freeza who directly had history with Saiyans. In a way, Vegeta WAS already the focal point, the main character for the "Saiyan" trilogy as Toriyama said. All plot point came back to him. As a Prince, he dresses like a Saiyan warrior.

This movie, for the first time since Cell Saga, is about the Son family. Vegeta would still join the fight, but this is not a Saiyan fight, so he does not need the armor anymore.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:24 am

I'm so happy to see Gohan again! I hope he'll be the main hero this time (maybe with a new trasformation) :D

From the official website:

Wearing his uniform and taking center stage is Gohan, who looks to be gearing up for the fight of a lifetime alongside Piccolo, Goku, Vegeta, and Pan!

and

With their capes fluttering, Gamma 1 & Gamma 2 can be seen striking a couple of slick poses! Plus, there are some all-new original characters who we'll just have to wait to find out more about, no matter how tough that may be!

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_736.html

Get ready for new characters!

p.s. graphic is cool!

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:36 am

Not a fan of armorless Vegeta, but everyone else looks great.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:06 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:20 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:04 pm Yes, yes, yes!

Do you think IF the series continues after this movie should Vegeta keep this look or get a new costume entirely?
Well, I actually am a huge fan of costume changes.
I loved when Goku changed through different outfits in OGDB, slight ones in Z, loved the EoZ and subsequent GT change. Same with Vegeta…
That is why Super is kind of a bummer for me and I was huge fan of ROF change.

So yes! I think they should introduce new clothes more oftwn to support the time flow and keep a fresh look.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:01 am

Seems like TOEI are taking a more comedic approach to this movie. I'll admit I do respect that as it would be very tempting to create another full on action movie, but this opens a lot more possibilities for different storylines. Maybe this movie will be Gohan's chance to show Pan what it's like to be a hero? Surely if he's front and centre and the title is "Super Hero" we will see the Saiyaman outfit whipped out at some point?

I'm happy to see armourless Vegeta back too. I would have preferred that to him reverting back to the armoured version in Super, though I do get from a marketing perspective it was done to sell toys for the God and Blue forms.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:38 am

Love the new Gohan, I don't think Toyo or Toei got him right, in the anime his hair looked so weird, like he had one of those magical tiny heads. And in the manga, IDK, he looks way too grown up, I can even smell the aftershave, also no bang no party.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:00 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:29 am
Chuquita wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:14 pm Always happy to see tank top Vegeta. Ambivalent about everything else. Still not on the cgi train, not a RR fan, I like light hearted stories in weekly series, but I'd rather have an adventure and a legit antagonist for a movie. It'll probably be alright, but nothing to write home about. Still excited for Jump Festa though.
Unless this movie becomes a social phenomenon and earn HUGE amount of money in japan(like DS did), I am not sure this movie will surpass BROLY. Some people are excited for Gohan but thats it, hope they market it well.
Even taking inflation into account, I still don't think it'll make more money than Broly because it looks to me right now like it's going to be a more niche and comedic movie when the general public, I'd think, would respond better to an action film like Broly. It's good to see Gohan again. He's not my favorite, but I like him and his Great Saiyaman stuff. I hope whatever they have to show at Jump Festa will be interesting.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:33 am

I can see the movie doing better than Broly in Japan since the Japanese audience seems more appreciative of the more light-hearted comedic aspects of the series, but I don't think it will surpass global sales because worldwide audiences seem to enjoy the action more.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:59 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:45 pm Also that they couldn't even keep his Movie 15 outfit, I'd be okay if they had ditched the Majin Buu saga one for that look, but not even that... :|
Eh, that one's a bit too close to his 2nd Freeza arc outfit for me, and I've never been a fan of that look.

In general, Vegeta's outfits start to lose me once he loses the shoulder pads. The shoulder pads (along with the waist pads from his debut, though they're a more superfluous element) gave his armor a cool ornate quality that his stripped down armors from the late Freeza arc through the Cell arc lack (I could accept the "he wears armor because he's a Saiyan" explanation better if he returned to his better looking armors from the Saiyan arc/early-mid Freeza arc).

The Buu arc removing his armor entirely was a nice change for me because it finally dropped what to me felt like lesser, bootleg versions of his earlier, better looking armors; and because I think it's a more effective simplification of his look. Losing the armor but keeping the gloves and boots works better for me than the half-measure of keeping the armor but removing the elements that made it look cool.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.