Was Gogeta Really Name-Dropped in the Manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Was Gogeta Really Name-Dropped in the Manga?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:08 pm

So we all know that Vegetto and Potara only exist because movie 12 was already going to have Goku and Vegeta Fuse into Gogeta, and Toriyama wanted to do something that was his own thing. But is that all there is to the story? I have had someone share an image with me of the next to last page of chapter 503 as it appeared in Weekly Shonen Jump 1995 #08. From what I understand, Jump frequently adds/added flavor text in the margins of the manga, which are not reproduced for the collected releases because they aren't part of the original manuscript. In this case, the flavor text hypes up the birth of "Gogeta." Yes, the combined Goku and Vegeta does appear in the last panel of 503, but it's not until 504 that he says his name is Vegetto. Apparently whoever wrote that flavor text either assumed the character would be named Gogeta, or that was what Toriyama told them until changing his mind at the last minute. Regardless of the reason, it is a fascinating find. But given that this is the Internet, I'm just curious if anyone can independently verify that this is real. Does anyone have this issue of Jump?

Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Was Gogeta Really Name-Dropped in the Manga?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:12 pm

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:22 pm

Whew, that photo has definitely been making the rounds without you then! And, uh, yeah, I guess the best part of this post is the fact that your second link is, in fact, a response to me, and I either never saw it or it has leaked out of my brain in the past year and a half. :lol:

At any rate, thank you so, so much for confirming that for me.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:37 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:08 pm So we all know that Vegetto and Potara only exist because movie 12 was already going to have Goku and Vegeta Fuse into Gogeta, and Toriyama wanted to do something that was his own thing. But is that all there is to the story? I have had someone share an image with me of the next to last page of chapter 503 as it appeared in Weekly Shonen Jump 1995 #08. From what I understand, Jump frequently adds/added flavor text in the margins of the manga, which are not reproduced for the collected releases because they aren't part of the original manuscript. In this case, the flavor text hypes up the birth of "Gogeta." Yes, the combined Goku and Vegeta does appear in the last panel of 503, but it's not until 504 that he says his name is Vegetto. Apparently whoever wrote that flavor text either assumed the character would be named Gogeta, or that was what Toriyama told them until changing his mind at the last minute. Regardless of the reason, it is a fascinating find. But given that this is the Internet, I'm just curious if anyone can independently verify that this is real. Does anyone have this issue of Jump?

This kind of makes sense, Vegetto was never supposed to appear in the Trunks arc of Super, so in Toriyama’s mind we have already had Gogeta, probably about time he whip out Vegetto.