Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 102 - GT 1-5

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 102 - GT 1-5 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:04 pm

Well, I managed to find some free time. Figured I'd get back to doing these full episode reviews I stopped early on in Z (I'll finish them someday) since GT is only 64 episodes.

Episode 1 - The Mysterious Dragon Balls Appear!! Goku Becomes a Child?!

A solid introduction to a new series with a good balance between setting up the first main adventure and having some slice-of-life moments for a few characters old and new. The brand new score by Tokunaga offers a refreshing new take on Dragon Ball, and what it can sound like.

Opening with Pilaf approaching the lookout before some shots of Goku and Oob within the shrine only cutting back to the exterior to show the damage being done was an interesting choice. Following a timeskip showing how far Oob has come in his training with Goku was a great decision, and his departure leaves a lot of hope for his future.

The decision to make Goku being turned into a kid was a welcome change from Dragon Ball’s usual storytelling choices, although its execution felt awkward, namely the fact the wish was a complete accident, and used at Pilaf and the gang’s expense when they were already gag villains to begin with.

While the concept of the black star Dragon Balls was a great throwback to the Nameless Namekian and provides a neat expansion of said Namekian’s great power, although neither how they ended up in the Heavenly Realm nor how their consequences result from their usage was very well defined.

The character moments such as Pan going on a date, and Goku eating at a restaurant were nice additions and provide a nice breather after the use of the black star Dragon Balls before the terrifying revelation that follows by the end of the episode. Roshi’s excitement at finding Goku as a child and Pan’s disbelief was a nice juxtaposition as it shows Roshi’s nostalgia for knowing Goku as he grew up, and Pan’s awkwardness over looking older than her own grandpa.

While the second half wasn’t as strong the ending does at least set the plot in motion, even if the notion that the Earth being destroyed within a year of the black star Dragon Balls being used felt forced, and a cliched reason for Goku setting off on a new journey.

The score throughout was magnificent, particularly the black star Shenron’s theme, which was appropriately epic, ominous and foreboding all at once, as was the more serene track used during the slice-of-life moments. Tokunaga is the perfect example of how to do orchestral music inspired by Kikuchi without copying Kikuchi. It’s a better score in some respects, and a second best score for Dragon Ball at worst, which is still an astounding achievement for such a young composer at the time.

In sum, a serviceable first episode in ideas, but with decent execution, and makes GT feel like a different kind of Dragon Ball show, but an interesting one nonetheless.

Episode 2 - I’m the Star! Pan Blasts Off into Space!!

Following on from last week's episode this episode continues everything that was set up last time and solidifies the foundations for this first main story arc.

In terms of presenting how the characters in the series lives have progressed this episode does a good job. It shows Trunks coming to terms with his responsibilities as the CEO of Capsule Corp, Goten's dating life, and having to deal with a sometimes annoying niece. Gohan is shown as having learned a lot about technology as he helps Bulma operate the ship that will send Goku and his crew to space.

For humour this episode makes the most of its potential. Pan reminding everyone she's not a kid was amusing. Goku's appetite causing an absurdly expensive food bill for his kidnappers makes them look foolish. Additionally Goku freaking his kidnappers out over being able to fly and dropping a phone box are classic examples of showing the naivety of many on Earth to our heroes abilities.

Pan is presented as being very early in her character development causing frustration not only with Goten, but also Chi-Chi who reminds her of the seriousness of everything. Although as Pan is also eager to help everyone, which shows a more admirable side to her character.

Tokunaga continues to grace the series with more beautiful compositions. Among those are a playful track to go with Goten and Pan's banter, more of a dull sound when Pan doesn't get her way to emphasize annoyance, a peaceful track during the diner scene with Mr Satan, and a
bittersweet track as the tracker falls down and Bulma looks up shocked to see Pan has left with Goku and Trunks.

Arguably a slower episode than it's predecessor but lays the groundwork for a grand new adventure, something Dragon Ball shied away from for a few arcs, but one that exemplifies GT's valiant effort to bring the series back to it's roots.

Episode 3 - Super Greedy!! The Merchant Planet Imegga

While this episode could drag at times it was a decent start to Goku, Trunks and Pan’s quest into the depths of space with some good world building and a showcase of what Tokunaga is capable of.

It is admittedly quite odd that Trunks is the most mature of the three characters, although given Goku has always been a child at heart it is understandable. We see three different personalities in the ship and as our heroes land as they all navigate through the misfortune unleashed upon them in their own unique ways. Trunks shows concern for losing the control key, the booster rocket and the situation the three characters get themselves in on the planet. Goku acts like the lovable child he was in the original series not taking anything too seriously and focusing on the food mostly over anything else. Pan’s despair at being so far away from home, and particularly her dad Gohan can get tiresome but its forgivable since she is such a young child.

There is some good humour in this episode with Pan messing around with Trunks not giving him the control key, which shows her naivety and Goku being thrown around, firstly by Pan mopping and later by the luggage droid. Considering Goku’s intelligence is mainly prevalent in combat, in serious situations like this it can make it seem like his development into an adult was for nothing, as he was used for comedic purposes for most, if not all of his moments in the episode.

With regards to drama there is plenty to be had in this episode. Most notably our heroes losing control of the ship when the booster rocket falls off. The realization that the hotel Goku, Trunks and Pan are staying in is not the luxiurious paradise it initially seemed to be subverts the beautiful, colourful, aesthetically pleasing decor of their room. Additionally the harsh reality of the rental market on the planet under Don Kear’s rule presents a very grim view of planet Imegga’s quality of life, especially with the revelation that our heroes would be charged by the second for everything they take advantage of while staying in their hotel.

The whole theme of rack renting was an interesting concept from these few episodes of GT that is rarely discussed, but also a very realistic one that does a good job of showing how the harsh situation for the struggling tenants of Imegga, and how they could become economical. It could be considered a very cynical outlook on capitalism, but certainly one that its good to be aware of, as often power in the wrong hands can be abused.

Tokunaga’s themes throughout are both varied and mesmerizing. The serene theme that plays on Earth as Chi-Chi is doing laundry emphasizes her innocence, as always doing the best a mother, grandmother and husband can do, while also being worried for everyone’s safety. The more playful theme used during Pan’s scenes demonstrates her immaturity and how she’s using the adventure of it all as a distraction from missing all her loved ones on Earth. There are also darker themes, which also do a good job, like the ominous theme that plays when our heroes lose their booster rocket, the track used as they crash land on the planet Imegga shows the hopelessness of it all, and the sense of uncertainty created as the inhabitants of the planet tell them all about the renting situation they have to live with.

Overall a good episode, if a bit slow and the first of several in GT that can often make the first quarter of the series somewhat of a chore to get through, but leaves enough to keep viewers interested.

Episode 4 - Wanted!! Goku’s on the Wanted List?!

Following on from the promising, if slow last episode this episode is much of a mixed bag with some expansion of ideas previously introduced, more great themes from Tokunaga but tended to drag even more at times.

The banter between Goku and Pan was enjoyable. The fact Goku showed some awareness of what was going on was a welcome decision as it meant that his character was not only being used for gags as he was in the last episode. Pan thinking Goku is annoying her when he genuinely spotted their ship showed that while she may look older than her grandpa she still needs to listen to him, as he is still her elder even if not in appearance. Goku however can still be naive at times, as is seen when Trunks and Pan start to fear seeing their faces on the most wanted posters and Goku is messing around showing the face that was designed to present him in a negative light.

Both Trunks and Pan show some of their stronger characteristics in this episode. For Pan stepping on Giru after he consumes the Dragon radar shows that while she can be childish she is also very fierce and adaptable to dire situations when needed. Trunks being able to fix the ship was a good choice too, as it shows his mechanical skills, which would run in the family having a mother as technologically versed as Bulma.

The introduction to the idea of Goku losing some of his potential having been transformed back into a kid was well done. Goku’s decision to use Instantaneous Movement to sense energy was an appropriate choice for reminding the audience that the technique is good for more than just teleportation. Equally so the fact our heroes weren’t able to be transported from one place to another offers a sense of dread for any powers Goku would have lost by reverting back to being a child.

Don Kear comes across as a respected, but pampered and spoiled lord. The decision to show him in a dressing gown eating a meal fed to him highlights how easy he has it with the wealth he’s accumulated from exploiting the inhabitants of Imegga. The scene where Don Kear freaks out over the cost of fixing the ship, even though for him it would be insignificant further shows his greed and disregard for the livelihoods of his tenants.

Tokunaga’s score is most certainly this episode’s saving grace, and introduces perhaps his best track, as well as other nice tracks to show the range of different situations in this episode, giving them all the appropriate feel. The uncertainty as Goku, Trunks and Pan stand at the top of the cliff is very telling that their unfortunate has only begun. The enchanting theme that accompanies the introduction to Don Kear’s city and palace demonstrates the mystique surrounding the lord and his dominance over the planet like a dramatic fairy tale, which is very fitting for the space opera feel of these episodes. There is also a track playing as Goku, Trunks and Pan creep around to show the fragility of their situation. Of course the track used when our heroes start attacking the guards in the courtyard is Tokunaga’s best, its upbeat, exciting and flows to a satisfying resolution when they get their ship back.

So not a totally forgettable episode, rather a slow one that does its job to move the plot forward and show the audience a little more about what GT has to offer that differs from the previous installments in the franchise.

Episode 5 - Finding a Strong Guy!! The Bodyguard Redjic

Even though this episode is still very slow and underwhelming like the previous episodes it manages to the Imegga mini-arc to a satisfying enough conclusion with the first major battle of the series and the reversal of Don Kear’s tyranny.

With the characterization of Pan and Trunks we continue to see the spoiled nature of the former, and how the latter keeps her grounded. Following on from the devastating revelation our heroes are considered criminals on the planet Imegga it is Trunks that manages to calm Pan down, making it clear that they can resolve the problem if they work through it. Additionally, Pan’s attempts to silence Giru can be harsh at least and counterproductive to their quest at worst. Fortunately it was Trunks that tells Pan Giru has feelings and how he can come in handy, as he notices the small robot made the Dragon radar a part of him. Much like last time Trunks’ knowledge of how machines work can be attributed to Bulma’s technological smarts, which he seemingly inherits.

Apart from the conflicts between Trunks and Pan there isn’t a whole lot more humour in this episode, instead the focus is largely on bringing peace to Imegga. Nonetheless the scene where Goku bounces off one of the guard’s heads and back up again was an enjoyable moment, showing our hero having fun in the midst of all the chaos and misfortune that’s been unleashed upon himself, Trunks and Pan.

As Goku, Trunks and Pan get talking to the inhabitants of Imegga more, and are treated kindly by those few that admired their courage there is further elaboration on the greed of Don Kear. Specifically the ban on ships, which makes Don Kear’s rule seem even more dictatorial and the Imegga inhabitants suffering even more believable as many of them were not native to the planet, but trapped on it. Conversely Don Kear is anything but a sympathetic character, and is only seen delighted to be given more money, and his throne room is technologically proficient and filled with defenses, making him a force to be reckoned with. Although once Ledgic is defeated Don Kear’s weakness shows, which makes it all the more ironic that he was so pampered and safe to begin with.

The battle with Ledgic was short, but sweet, and a more grounded fight than what Goku has been used to for most of the series at this point. From the beginning the fight was fast paced and there is a lot of good choreography with Ledgic aiming for all Goku’s limbs with his swords. Goku also relies on his raw strength, managing to break Ledgic’s swords more than once. The sparing use of a Kamehame Ha, which was only used at the end was also a welcome decision as it shows Goku not relying on ki powers, and only using them when he needs to.

Tokunaga continues to bring plenty of great music to the table, although not as many of note as in previous episodes. There is a shot overlooking the whole village as the inhabitants of Imegga tell Goku, Trunks and Pan about the hardships that their people have endured, and how they lost everything under Don Kear’s rule which makes their story feel more real. An ominous track accompanies Ledgic’s arrival to highlight the sense of danger awaiting our heroes. Conversely the more upbeat theme played as Goku becomes Super Saiyan captures the sense of victory both in Ledgic’s defeat and leads perfectly into the freedom of all Don Kear’s previous tenants.

The ending was quite satisfying with Pan’s request for a reform of the rental system, and Goku’s presence after witnessing the fight only scares Don Kear into agreement. In bringing peace to the planet, and lifting the restrictions on all its inhabitants space ships Goku, Trunks and Pan bring peace and freedom to everyone that was either native to Imegga or trapped there.

Having saved a planet, and been able to locate the first black star Dragon Ball with Giru this episode nicely wraps up the Imegga mini-arc and ensures a natural progression of the plot set in motion from the first episode of GT.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:32 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:16 pm I also totally ship Pan and Trunks in these episodes.
So, this bothered me when I first read it, and I've been mulling over how to address it. I've decided to just say what I think right now, otherwise it won't get said:

Pan is 10, Trunks is 22. Or, if you go with the Funimation gap, Pan is 15, Trunks is nearly 30. That is to say, you yourself described Pan as a "little kid", Trunks is a grown-ass adult twelve years her senior no matter which continuity you go with. And you say you want to ship them. As in, a romantic relationship.

This is pretty disgusting, and continues a pattern of you saying very uncomfortable things (often about Roshi and his perverse antics). You know what ship means. Recently, you suggested there should have been a filler episode with Roshi and Oolong, and then you said you won't go into detail, as if not describing the detail and letting us imagine what you mean makes it better. The fact is, while I can't speak for everyone, the perverted and downright gross stuff you're saying in these threads is making both me and KBABZ uncomfortable, and we'd appreciate it if you cut it out. Again.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:12 pm

I also totally ship Pan and Trunks in these episodes.
I definitely agree with Robo, this is creepy and weird as hell. You are literally talking about a child and an adult here in that way and it’s just disturbing. Seriously, what are you on? I’d imagine quite a few others would be really disturbed by this as well. I just…i have no words. :shock:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:08 pm

Oh god, I missed that, I went over that and yeah, like Robo said, the following phrase is how she is just a little kid and little kids go out on dates when they are 10... so, you are aware the age of the characters involved. Not to mention they are pretty much family.

KB and Robo are not the only people uncomfortable with these type of comments, I am as well.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:47 pm

I concur, I was skimming this thread to get my reviews out before reading others, but I don't think we should be discussing any ships between a grown man and a minor here. It's not right, and I have no doubts nothing was implied in these episodes. Trunks is more like an uncle or elder brother or cousin figure for Pan at best, and that's the extent of what I see in their relationship.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:57 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:12 pm
I definitely agree with Robo, this is creepy and weird as hell. You are literally talking about a child and an adult here in that way and it’s just disturbing. Seriously, what are you on? I’d imagine quite a few others would be really disturbed by this as well. I just…i have no words. :shock:
One of polish magazines stated they became a pair after GT :lol:
Anyway, if we ignore their age for a moment, they actually kinda fit together, although i think Trunks role as typical anime "oni-chan" is still better.

Besides, they could become a pair when she gets older and there is nothing wrong with Pan being interested in Trunks. It's only weird if Trunks is interested in 10yo Pan.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:25 pm

I reiterate what's already been said, Trunks/Pan as a romantic pairing is gross. The very clear age gap between them is too big.

Episode 5: Finding a Strong Guy!! The Bodyguard Redict

Postive:
-As the title implies, Goku finally gets a strong guy to punch! It isn't much, but, it's still nice to see Goku contribute something after how passive he's been up to this point. Up until now, the plot has mostly happened to Goku, not because of him.

-Bouncing off of that, it's nice to see the writers (and characters) remember how strong the cast is supposed to be, after they were having them cower, hide, and sneak around to avoid police and guards of all things last episode.

-Redict's swords/spear/etc. that come out of his clothes are a neat gimmick, and the fight with him was reasonably engaging.

Negative:
-That being said, as character, Redict was pretty bland. On top of that, I really just do not understand why he remained in Don Kia's service for so long. He clearly doesn't care about money, nor does he think highly of Don Kia, it mostly just seems like he wants to fight strong people which...there don't seem to be any of at all on Imegga.

-We've seen it a bit before, but it bothered me enough here that I'll bring it up now, since it's a recurring problem: Pan's treatment of Gill is insufferable. I can forgive a lot of other aspects of the character that are commonly criticized, because, well, she's a little kid, but this one bugs me a lot, especially considering how overall harmless he is.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:54 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:57 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:12 pm
One of polish magazines stated they became a pair after GT :lol:
Anyway, if we ignore their age for a moment, they actually kinda fit together, although i think Trunks role as typical anime "oni-chan" is still better.

Besides, they could become a pair when she gets older and there is nothing wrong with Pan being interested in Trunks. It's only weird if Trunks is interested in 10yo Pan.
That is not quite as much of an issue if it’s when Pan is older, just not at their present ages in GT.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:22 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:32 pm This is pretty disgusting, and continues a pattern of you saying very uncomfortable things (often about Roshi and his perverse antics). You know what ship means. Recently, you suggested there should have been a filler episode with Roshi and Oolong, and then you said you won't go into detail, as if not describing the detail and letting us imagine what you mean makes it better. The fact is, while I can't speak for everyone, the perverted and downright gross stuff you're saying in these threads is making both me and KBABZ uncomfortable, and we'd appreciate it if you cut it out. Again.
I don't agree that it's gross to ship Pan and Trunks. It's not like I want to see them in a relationship in the present. It's just that watching the episodes, I can see the potential for them in a future relationship, when Pan is an adult. Honestly though, it's hard for me to view Trunks as a 23 year old in these episodes. The way he's depicted makes him seem much younger in my mind.

Sorry again for making you guys uncomfortable. I will try and avoid the perverted content even harder in the future, in the Rewatch threads.

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:08 pm Oh god, I missed that, I went over that and yeah, like Robo said, the following phrase is how she is just a little kid and little kids go out on dates when they are 10... so, you are aware the age of the characters involved. Not to mention they are pretty much family.
Yes, ten year olds can and do go out on dates. Like I said before, I don't have a problem with this concept from the first episode, especially for a kid like Pan. I suppose the age of her date may have been a bit questionable, but that's about it for me.

Trunks and Pan being like family doesn't preclude a romantic pairing in my view.

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:57 pm One of polish magazines stated they became a pair after GT :lol:

Agreed. I enjoy their dynamic, and wouldn't mind Pan developing an interest in Trunks, with the potential for a future relationship.

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:25 pm We've seen it a bit before, but it bothered me enough here that I'll bring it up now, since it's a recurring problem: Pan's treatment of Gill is insufferable. I can forgive a lot of other aspects of the character that are commonly criticized, because, well, she's a little kid, but this one bugs me a lot, especially considering how overall harmless he is.
I actually enjoy Pan's treatment of Giru. I like how relentlessly she goes about torturing the guy, and that she eventually softens to him. It's not for everyone, but I like that type of attitude in characters like Pan.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:35 pm

See guys, it's okay because he wants to see the relationship with unsettling and creepy implications happen when Pan's old enough! Because as we all know, nothing's unusual about an 18 year old dating a guy in his 30s that's known her since he was a teenager and she was in diapers.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:09 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:35 pm See guys, it's okay because he wants to see the relationship with unsettling and creepy implications happen when Pan's old enough! Because as we all know, nothing's unusual about an 18 year old dating a guy in his 30s that's known her since he was a teenager and she was in diapers.
I was going to respond to MyVisionity's post, but yeah, this pretty much covers it.

I honestly wouldn't even know what to say beyond that.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:47 pm Trunks is more like an uncle or elder brother or cousin figure for Pan at best, and that's the extent of what I see in their relationship.
Yeah, this is my read too. He and Goten are pretty close, so I imagine he's basically an extra uncle to her. GT is basically a family road trip, in a lot of ways.
PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:25 pm -That being said, as character, Redict was pretty bland. On top of that, I really just do not understand why he remained in Don Kia's service for so long. He clearly doesn't care about money, nor does he think highly of Don Kia, it mostly just seems like he wants to fight strong people which...there don't seem to be any of at all on Imegga.
My guess is he lives fairly comfortably on Imegga and was just in a holding pattern until Goku showed up and reinvigorated his fighting spirit. Would be nice if that had actually been explored, but that's the read I get.
PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:25 pm -We've seen it a bit before, but it bothered me enough here that I'll bring it up now, since it's a recurring problem: Pan's treatment of Gill is insufferable. I can forgive a lot of other aspects of the character that are commonly criticized, because, well, she's a little kid, but this one bugs me a lot, especially considering how overall harmless he is.
Yeah, she's pretty mean to Gill. I prefer later on when they grew a lot closer.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:13 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:09 pm My guess is he lives fairly comfortably on Imegga and was just in a holding pattern until Goku showed up and reinvigorated his fighting spirit. Would be nice if that had actually been explored, but that's the read I get.
That was my reading as well. Goku has a history of doing that, so this feels in line with DB's ethos.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:59 pm

I find it funny how Hiroshi Kamiya talked about GT's first episode on Jump Festa during the same time we are doing our rewatch. It's like the stars aligned so well :P

(He voiced the boy dating Pan and now will voice Gamma 1, coincidentally also a movie starring Pan.)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:34 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:07 am
8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:52 pm I'm not very fond of GT, but goddamn if it doesn't have a fantastic soundtrack in the original Japanese version. Shenron's theme is downright perfect. Simply perfect.
How much more enjoyable do you think GT would have been if Ken Morrison didn't have his way and the Canadian dub was done in Vancouver rather than Calgary as originally planned?
I mean, the Westwood dub got a lot better by the end of it (they had a lot of time), so yeah, I would have found GT tolerable with the Vancouver guys doing it. Hopefully they would have cast a more fitting actor for the One-Star Dragon. The Calgary guy just sounded generic. I could say the same about Sabat, who just put on his overly gruff Piccolo voice with a filter on it.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:03 pm

I hated the filter Funimation put on Yi Xing Long's voice. It's so distracting and downright painful to listen to. I can see why people would find Noah Umholtz's performance in the Blue Water dub bland and generic, but I'd take it over Sabat with that filter any day.

One thing we do know about the planned Ocean dub of GT is that Michael Dobson was cast as four characters (likely Nappa, the Tenkaichi Budokai announcer, Kibitoshin and one more) before finding out his contract was terminated. Perhaps Yi Xing Long was the fourth character Dobson was cast as? I think he would have been a good fit for the role.

It's a shame that dub was never recorded though. I've heard it was meant to be exactly the same as Blue Water's dub (mostly uncut, same scripts, original score, etc) only with the Vancouver cast since Ocean had started getting materials from AB Groupe rather than Funimation by that point.