Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:58 pm

Imagine if Gamma 1 and 2 becomes fan favorites like Beerus and Whis did.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:57 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:58 pm Imagine if Gamma 1 and 2 becomes fan favorites like Beerus and Whis did.
It's not impossible. Like a lot of people actually didn't like Whis' design when Battle of Gods came out. Beerus got a mix response, which I don't know why because I thought Beerus looked cool. People were also not big on Vados since 'she's just a female Whis', but she won people over quickly when they saw her personality.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:12 pm

I think Gamma 1 and 2's voice actors will carry the roles and they're sure to get some popularity due to the performances alone: Mamoru Miyano and Hiroshi Kamiya are both very talented.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:15 pm

HeroR wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:15 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:41 am I am actually really happy about the change of composer. IMHO the music in Kai Final Chapter and Super was horrible and never sat with me, as it sounded more fitting for some Japanese produced video game or something like Legends. Never undesrtood why they went that way, as compare it to cool music like Naruto or One Piece (btw. found out recently that one of the duo of composers was arranging Dragon Ball themes before Kenji Yamamoto took over) has, hell even Saint Seiya spin-offs had great BGM made by the Gundam Seed composer.
And Dragon Ball gets weird synth bleep bloops with occasional synth orchestra and guitar.
I personally Sumitomo and his OST for Super more than the original Z soundtracks. Especially his themes for Black, Zamasu, UI, Super Saiyan God, and Beerus. And adore Birth of a God, Compromise, the Fusion Theme for Vegito, Trapped Between Past and Present, and that song that played when Trunks confronts Black near the end of 61.

That said, don't mind them using a different OST since they changed almost everything from the normal Dragon Ball staff.
Sure, Sumitomo just doesn’t really click with me personally. I grew up on the first two series and Kikuchi is inseparable for me and yeah, his music sounds a bit outdated, but that made the Dragon Ball work for me amidst the other anime in 90s.
And also, Tokunaga’s score in GT, despite the show’s many flaws, the soundtrack was superb and created unique atmosphere together with the artstyle. Still remember many of those melodies and songs in my head.
I have also enjoyed Yamamoto a lot in Kai, before it finally blew up in his face and he wasn’t much of a composer actually… only track from Sumitomo that I like is the recap with Chala Head Chala - for reasons unknown as it never actually plays in Super.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:19 pm

I don’t really get a completely evil vibe from G1 and G2 anyways

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:36 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:15 pm
HeroR wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:15 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:41 am I am actually really happy about the change of composer. IMHO the music in Kai Final Chapter and Super was horrible and never sat with me, as it sounded more fitting for some Japanese produced video game or something like Legends. Never undesrtood why they went that way, as compare it to cool music like Naruto or One Piece (btw. found out recently that one of the duo of composers was arranging Dragon Ball themes before Kenji Yamamoto took over) has, hell even Saint Seiya spin-offs had great BGM made by the Gundam Seed composer.
And Dragon Ball gets weird synth bleep bloops with occasional synth orchestra and guitar.
I personally Sumitomo and his OST for Super more than the original Z soundtracks. Especially his themes for Black, Zamasu, UI, Super Saiyan God, and Beerus. And adore Birth of a God, Compromise, the Fusion Theme for Vegito, Trapped Between Past and Present, and that song that played when Trunks confronts Black near the end of 61.

That said, don't mind them using a different OST since they changed almost everything from the normal Dragon Ball staff.
Sure, Sumitomo just doesn’t really click with me personally. I grew up on the first two series and Kikuchi is inseparable for me and yeah, his music sounds a bit outdated, but that made the Dragon Ball work for me amidst the other anime in 90s.
And also, Tokunaga’s score in GT, despite the show’s many flaws, the soundtrack was superb and created unique atmosphere together with the artstyle. Still remember many of those melodies and songs in my head.
I have also enjoyed Yamamoto a lot in Kai, before it finally blew up in his face and he wasn’t much of a composer actually… only track from Sumitomo that I like is the recap with Chala Head Chala - for reasons unknown as it never actually plays in Super.
Kikuchi is weird for me. I loved his soundtrack in OG Dragon Ball, but I find it boring and outdated in Z outside of a few tracks and preferred Kai's soundtrack before the soundtrack had to be taking out (although I do like a lot of the dub music, with my complaint being the soundtrack never shut up). Sumitomo is also weird because I didn't like his music in Kai 2, but loved them in Super even the tracks that came back from Kai 2. Learned it was because the music placement in Kai 2 was wack. For Kikuchi, I think that old, Japanese vibe worked in Dragon Ball more down to earth, fairytale storyline, but felt off listening to when dealing the space aliens and Dragon Ball generally feeling more 'modern' after the Saiyan Saga, so that old feeling music didn't work for me.

GT did have a good OST, even if most of it was just different versions of Dan Dan in a lot of the tracks. Personally thought Path of Power used the music better than GT.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:10 pm

DBS timeline so far:

Age 778 - Battle of Gods
Age 779 - Rivial of F, Champa Saga, and Goku Black Saga
Age 780 - Tournment of Power, Broly, Moro saga, and Granolah the Survivor Saga
Age 783 - Superhero
Age 784 - End of DBZ

Granolah will probably be dead by the time when this movie happens assuming that they don't fix his dying life span.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:57 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:12 pm I think Gamma 1 and 2's voice actors will carry the roles and they're sure to get some popularity due to the performances alone: Mamoru Miyano and Hiroshi Kamiya are both very talented.
That's something we can't complain about this franchise. They always pick up talented voice actors.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:11 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:10 pm DBS timeline so far:

Age 778 - Battle of Gods
Age 783 - Superhero
Age 784 - End of DBZ

Granolah will probably be dead by the time when this movie happens assuming that they don't fix his dying life span.
Is this official? It sounds right but I'm wondering if Granolah was confirmed to be in 780. I think beginning of 781 could also work depending how many weeks or months each minor timeskip was.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:34 pm

A bit late to the party, but well what I can say is that I'm happy for my boy Gohan getting a movie where he could shine alone while Goku and Vegeta blows themselves with Broly, but the CGI thing is still meh for me, so was the villains and the RR army being the focus again...
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:01 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:36 pm I can't see this movie doing better than BoG and RoF, let alone Broly. Extremely bizarre choice for a movie after 4 years of no new content aside from videogames and the Heroes anime.
There's still the manga. But it's bizarre how much the content Toyotaro has been producing is seemingly flying under the radar for the likes of Toei and even Bandai.
Actually it's bizarre how people to this day pretends that side manga that's it's initial concept was to the promote the anime could serve as anything valuable to the likes of Toei and even Bandai. I mean Chuquita get this better:
Chuquita wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:49 am It's definitely frustrating to me to see Toei play favorites with One Piece and seeing DB get stuck with CGI and 3 year long hiatus from having a weekly show, but One Piece is still running weekly in Shonen Jump where DB has a monthly manga in a mostly videogame magazine and isn't even drawn or fully written by its original author anymore; makes sense that One Piece's fandom gets preferential treatment. I'm sure One Piece Film Red will look as amazing as the Brolli movie did and as amazing as I wish Superhero would.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:17 am
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:09 am This isn't really an excuse. In-universe, it's been a while since the ToP happened and we know Goku always wants to surpass himself, so seeing Goku turning silver at will wouldn't be a problem but natural progression, and Ultra Ego could be worldwide introduced in the movie. It's only a new form, like SSB was in RoF.
Then it will have to be explained.
Yea like Super Saiyan Rage/Demi-God Trunks was even explained, right? Super unlike Z doesn't tell us jack sh*t of what is going on, it will be like 4 years the series ended and we didn't even got it a proper guide like the Daizenshuu to explain the clusterf**k that was this damn series.
The Monkey King wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:06 am
Oh well! :lol:
Yea, but that's not Gohan and yes Teen Goten(Toyotaro sure knows how to drawn DB like horse sh*t, geez).
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:37 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:35 am So who's the new score composer?
Naoki Sato
Any info about the new guy? If he ever worked in a famous anime or such? I know for some people it doesn't matter, but for me soundtrack is a big deal for Dragon Ball.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:48 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:34 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:37 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:35 am So who's the new score composer?
Naoki Sato
Any info about the new guy? If he ever worked in a famous anime or such? I know for some people it doesn't matter, but for me soundtrack is a big deal for Dragon Ball.
AFAIK he did music for Assassination Classroom and some Pretty Cure films
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:52 pm

Skar wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:11 pmIs this official? It sounds right but I'm wondering if Granolah was confirmed to be in 780. I think beginning of 781 could also work depending how many weeks or months each minor timeskip was.
There is nothing official or confirmed starting with Universe Survival saga (with the exception of Movie 2). However, it's not like it's impossible to guess as correct as possible when those events take place.

It's virtually impossible to place Granola saga any time before AGE 781 and I already showed you why. You'd have to really squeeze all events, assume the timeskips are like days or weeks between one saga and the next one in order to manage to put Granola saga in the same year as Universe Survival saga, Movie 1 and Moro saga.

Movie 2 doesn't take place in AGE 783 with Pan being three years old, unless for some reason you think she was born in the same year as Bra. Another possibility is that Pan is three during the movie events but she will turn four later that same year, but not only I don't think that's what they have in mind, you'd also have no reason to believe this is the case. If they say she's three, then the most likely scenario is that the movie takes place days, weeks or a few months after her birthday, i.e. it's the year she turns three (which is AGE 782).

You would generally use the assumption that a character is "X-going-Y" when there's a clear contradiction. Like, the manga says Pan is four years old during the tournament, this contradicts her birth year, which, going by it, makes her five years old instead. To solve this, you need to assume the tournament takes place before her birthday (so Pan is four-turning-five). So far, the movie and the information we have don't present any contradiction that implies this is the case.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:11 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:52 pmIt's virtually impossible to place Granola saga any time before AGE 781 and I already showed you why. You'd have to really squeeze all events, assume the timeskips are like days or weeks between one saga and the next one in order to manage to put Granola saga in the same year as Universe Survival saga, Movie 1 and Moro saga.
Ah I remember now! I thought his list might've been official but I could only find the Wiki's timeline. It has Granolah in 780 and Super Hero in 782-783 so sounds like it's only speculation for now.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:38 pm

If wiki places Movie 2 in AGE 782, then they are correct (miraculously). Pan's age determines that.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:47 pm

Where does this Gohan having “the battle of his life” quote come from?

Apparently it comes from Toei but I can't find the source.

EDIT: Never mind I found it https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_736.html

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:50 pm

Skar wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:11 pm

Age 778 - Battle of Gods
Age 783 - Superhero
Age 784 - End of DBZ

Is this official? It sounds right but I'm wondering if Granolah was confirmed to be in 780. I think beginning of 781 could also work depending how many weeks or months each minor timeskip was.
The Moro saga seems to take place sometime after Broly ended and the Granolah saga happens right after Moro is defeated. Goku told the Heathers that the Earth Dragon Balls have been recently used. Meaning that they still need time to recharge after the wish was used in Broly.
She/Her

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:05 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:50 pm

Age 778 - Battle of Gods
Age 783 - Superhero
Age 784 - End of DBZ

The Moro saga seems to take place sometime after Broly ended and the Granolah saga happens right after Moro is defeated. Goku told the Heathers that the Earth Dragon Balls have been recently used. Meaning that they still need time to recharge after the wish was used in Broly.
Didn’t Gohan say in the Moro arc that they collected the Dragon Balls so Goku wouldn’t hold back against Moro?
Kanassa wrote:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:57 am

HeroR wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:05 pm
Didn’t Gohan say in the Moro arc that they collected the Dragon Balls so Goku wouldn’t hold back against Moro?
They are probably talking about the Dragon Bals on Namek.
She/Her

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:23 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:57 am
HeroR wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:05 pm

They are probably talking about the Dragon Bals on Namek.
The Namekian Dragon Ball were stone since Moro used all the wishes.
Kanassa wrote:

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:09 am

Noah wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:34 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:01 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:36 pm I can't see this movie doing better than BoG and RoF, let alone Broly. Extremely bizarre choice for a movie after 4 years of no new content aside from videogames and the Heroes anime.
There's still the manga. But it's bizarre how much the content Toyotaro has been producing is seemingly flying under the radar for the likes of Toei and even Bandai.
Actually it's bizarre how people to this day pretends that side manga that's it's initial concept was to the promote the anime could serve as anything valuable to the likes of Toei and even Bandai.

Tbf they used the whole future trunks vs dabura and Bobidi thing in Kakarot which came from Toyotaro. So Bandai has shown they will use some of his ideas from the manga when they choose too. But also why have him continue the Manga if you aren’t gonna do anything with it? Your not promoting the anime since it’s no longer airing & the manga doesn’t sell that well anyways.

Unless they gonna completely stop making new DB games/products in the next 2-3 years bc i don’t see how anything will continue if they don’t use new material you can only sell the same Z/GT/Super arcs/characters we’ve seen for so long before it gives diminishing to 0 returns

It’s just a lot of Radio silence for a long time wish they’d be clearer with the fandom