I don't get why Goku doesn't learn Ultra Ego.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

I don't get why Goku doesn't learn Ultra Ego.

Post by TBMx » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:26 pm

- He's had experience with Hakai before. Erased half an immortal.
- While I don't think Vegeta's caught up to UI Goku by any means, no one can deny he's made huge gains on Goku in a very, very short span of time. It's a much faster way to power than UI has been so far. With all it's stamina problems and all.
- Beerus never said it requires a callous and unfeeling person, he said it requires divorcing oneself from guilt and the past. Goku doesn't feel those to begin with.
- Beerus said it requires thinking of destruction. But he didnt say destruction of life forms. If its destruction of anything, I think Gokus more than capable of thinking about the destruction of inanimate objects, which is all Vegeta trained on anyway.
- The ease of learning. UI requires long term meditation and intense focus. UE requires blowing up pebbles and logs for a month.
- Unlike UI, UE allows the user to truly enjoy the battle. Goku never really cared about the results of fights, he was always in it for the excitement and enjoyment. So when faced with a form that you need to be calm like a Jedi to use vs a form that gets stronger from battle fever, it's surprising Goku would stick to the jedi one and give a hard no to the thrills one.
- Goku's never had problem stealing past rival's moves. Eg solar flare. Kienzan.
- Proving the superiority of UI over UE seems something Whis and Beerus would care about more instead of Goku, whos only really there to use them as tools to get stronger.

All in all it seems to me Goku would use Ultra Ego as a short term form and use Ultra Instinct as a long term project. As opposed to going into battle with UI now, when he knows it has terrible stamina. The Cell Saga Goku didnt go into battle with a form with an obvious weakness yet DBS Goku does.

But it seems like Gokus constrained by a video game logic. For instance Guile must know the Sonic Boom. He can't learn the Hadouken even if its shown to be superior in a crucial way. Because the manual says thats Ken and Ryus move and he can't step on their toes. Just cos the writer says. It's the same reason Goku skipped SSBE for no in story reason. It's clearly more effective than MSSB, was easy to get and could be controlled unlike UI Omen (till Moro arc). But rather than go with whats best, like an actual fighter would, he's become restricted by designated movelists. Which is in contrast to pre dbs Goku''s Jeet Kune Do like attitude of having an open mind to growth. As in he wouldn't care who he learns from or what he learns, as long as it works and improves him, he'd do it.

Even DBS Goku is willing to give senzus to genocidal villains so he can fight them later and get stronger off fighting them later, so its not like he has standards on that.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Re: I don't get why Goku doesn't learn Ultra Ego.

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:55 pm

To put it simply, Goku doesn't actually have interest in the technique of Destruction itself, and only used it on Zamasu as a last-resort. This is implied in the connection between the dialogue of chapter 15 and chapter 25.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:01 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:55 pm To put it simply, Goku doesn't actually have interest in the technique of Destruction itself, and only used it on Zamasu as a last-resort. This is implied in the connection between the dialogue of chapter 15 and chapter 25.
Goku has an issue with permanently killing people which is why he only uses such moves as last resort. But UE isn't inherently lethal.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:05 pm

TBMx wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:01 pm Goku has an issue with permanently killing people which is why he only uses such moves as last resort. But UE isn't inherently lethal.
No, but it does seem to be derived from Destruction, which as suggesting in the prior mentioned chapters is a technique Goku inherently bares some disdain for outside necessary usage.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:09 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:05 pm
TBMx wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:01 pm Goku has an issue with permanently killing people which is why he only uses such moves as last resort. But UE isn't inherently lethal.
No, but it does seem to be derived from Destruction, which as suggesting in the prior mentioned chapters is a technique Goku inherently bares some disdain for outside necessary usage.
I think the idea that Goku just has disdain for destruction just because disdain and not specifically because it was about to be used in the act of permanently killing someone, - thats an extension of the video game logic i mentioned earlier. Designated movelists in the manual.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:35 pm

Couldn't the principles of Ultra Ego or Hakai be used defensively? Think ki neutralisation whenever it's used as projectiles or projectiles like the Katchin blocks. Goku wouldn't have to use it for the purpose of killing. It'd be interesting to see how Hakai interacts with Katchin alloy. Unstoppable force meets immovable object scenario?

Speculation aside, I'd rather keep Ultra Ego unique to Vegeta. Goku has chosen to tread a distinct path that's conducive for his personality and combat philosophy. Let Vegeta have his own war path. Goku doesn't have to be the master of all disciplines in order to get his "strongest fighter" persona across.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:22 pm

The idea seems to be Goku/Vegeta having different powers. Goku has Ultra Instinct while Vegeta gets Ultra Ego.
In the anime they were already doing this with Goku having SSB+Kaioken and Vegeta SSB Evolution.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:23 pm

Lionel wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:35 pm Couldn't the principles of Ultra Ego or Hakai be used defensively? Think ki neutralisation whenever it's used as projectiles or projectiles like the Katchin blocks. Goku wouldn't have to use it for the purpose of killing.
The former suggestion you provided has only been demonstrated in the anime by Toppo, and may not have an equivalent function in the manga's continuity.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:59 pm

It doesn't seem like Goku's style.

In the same way Master Roshi's buff form or Tien's extra arms don't seem like something Chiaotzu or Krillin would use.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:54 am

Goku probably could have learned the Kienzan, Kikoho, or the Final Flash at some points, but didn't. He's already on the UI path, it would be unwise to call it quits without completion.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:48 pm

This strikes me as... a strange question? In a bunch of ways?

In-universe, it's been... what?... like an hour since Goku just saw Vegeta use Ultra Ego? Not even? "Why won't he learn it?" is kinda nuts to ask when it literally just happened moments ago.

We've seen characters (namely Goku and Vegeta) both learn new techniques and use other characters' techniques within this run of Super, even just here in the post-anime / manga-exclusive content.

Goku is well known as using other folks' attacks, and has even verbally acknowledged it sometimes ("Sorry Tenshinhan; I'm using your technique! Taiyo-Ken!")

And then there's Vegeta, who just the prior arc we've seen begrudgingly learn a technique that Goku has otherwise been the sole user of. Sure, he followed it up by saying he'll never use it again, but those are just words; we saw him take the initiative and go through hell to get the point of being able to use it. Who's to say he'll never actually do something like that again if he once again needs to in a pinch? Vegeta knows what needs to be done.

But I don't see Goku "learning" or otherwise using Ultra Ego; Toriyama and Toyotaro have been pretty explicit about the two characters going down "different paths" toward their goals, which match their overall respective fighting styles and character beats. I think it's neat when we get some little crossover between them, but I likewise think it's neat that each get their own individuality. Why make two characters do the same thing all the time? What's the point of them even being two distinct characters, ya' know?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::