Selecta Visión Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Selecta Visión Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:15 am

I just watched through that comparison video a couple times. And I think it looks okay. Just fine, nothing mind-blowing. (shrug) ... I'd much prefer FUNimation use this footage instead.

To me, the backgrounds still suffer from being slightly flatter, but to no where near the degree that the 30th Anniversary remaster does. I feel the Kai (pre-Buu) remaster still wins out just from the color correction alone.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:49 pm

selecta vision Blu-Ray

dragon box

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:39 pm

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:41 pm

Wow, that is fucking atrocious.

Dragon Boxes as-is remain significantly superior.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:15 pm

For a second I thought you meant the Portugal Portuguese dub lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:16 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:15 pm For a second I thought you meant the Portugal Portuguese dub lol.
Well, that too. :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:19 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:16 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:15 pm For a second I thought you meant the Portugal Portuguese dub lol.
I have to say though, it's a "so bad it's good" type of thing much like the Big Green dub. XD
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:36 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:19 pm
I have to say though, it's a "so bad it's good" type of thing much like the Big Green dub. XD
They are different flavours of bad. One is bizarre ("Miss Portugal 97") and the other is awkward ("Let that child alone").
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:40 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:36 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:19 pm
They are different flavours of bad. One is bizarre ("Miss Portugal 97") and the other is awkward ("Let that child alone").
True, though of course the Portuguese dub was intentionally written as a parody/gag type dub while Big Green is just a mess of rushed direction and poor scripting and poor acting,

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:27 pm

Trachta10 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:49 pm selecta vision Blu-Ray
dragon box
Ew.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:10 am

Saw some clips.

At least it's an improvement over Funimation's 30th sets.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:41 am

Masquerade wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:10 am Saw some clips.

At least it's an improvement over Funimation's 30th sets.

How is it an improvement?

Banduck

Post by Banduck » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:10 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:41 am How is it an improvement?
https://imgsli.com/NzMxNTU/2/1
It's clearly an improvement.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:01 pm

I don't think "Is it better than one of the absolute worst releases there is?" is a productive lens through which to discuss this set.

The point is it's shit. It's in the same category as all the other bad DBZ releases and it's not worth anyone's time to figure out whether any of the other really bad ones that aren't worth buying are any better or worse than this other one that's really bad and not worth buying.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:16 pm

All they did here was just take the standard def Dragon Box Z footage, upscale and run a filter over it. Granted it’s not as hideously smeared and watercolor-y as FUNi’s 30th BD’s but at the same time it’s not what you’d call great either.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:26 pm

Sorry for the source being from my mobile, but I've no way to screencap yet. As it stands, while I'd love for the grain to be there, this isn't the abortion some people here desperately want to make it out to be. It's a competently done upscale of DB Box footage with some possible color correction? The skies aren't looking green to me, but if I'm mistaken do correct me, it's been a while. It seems like it's the best home release as of yet and now the ball is on Toei to provide us with an actual remaster from the source video itself.
If you can understand spanish subtitles, this definitely is a good option and it beats what Funi's putting out with both hands tied, so by all means go get it, it looks pretty great in motion, which isn't something most home releases can say.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:37 pm

It amazes me how consistently people will leap to the defence of some shitty box set that's notably inferior to the Dragon Boxes; first the 30th anniversary sets, then the SelectaVision DB set, now this SV DBZ set. Feels just like the people who leap to the defence of the Orange Bricks in every other online community. The sentiment is always the same; "It's not as bad as people say! I like it just fine and everyone complaining is just wrong."

Look, I get it, you don't hate it, that doesn't mean people are wrong to complain, you just disagree with the consensus because the things people complain about don't bother you personally. I'm glad you can enjoy this version of the show but no one is "desperately making it out to be" anything, we're giving an honest opinion just like you did, and warning away anyone who thought this might be something legitimately good.

The fact is, it's not a very good upscale, and really, just watching the Dragon Boxes and Funimation's original DVD singles looks better. This is the same kind of smeary bullshit as we have on the 30th set only it's not from a genuine HD source, and it's not quite as heavily filtered.
If that doesn't bother you, that's fine, but this isn't about people "making it out to be" something it's not, this is about people seeing something you don't.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:56 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:37 pm It amazes me how consistently people will leap to the defence of some shitty box set that's notably inferior to the Dragon Boxes; first the 30th anniversary sets, then the SelectaVision DB set, now this SV DBZ set. Feels just like the people who leap to the defence of the Orange Bricks in every other online community. The sentiment is always the same; "It's not as bad as people say! I like it just fine and everyone complaining is just wrong."

Look, I get it, you don't hate it, that doesn't mean people are wrong to complain, you just disagree with the consensus because the things people complain about don't bother you personally. I'm glad you can enjoy this version of the show but no one is "desperately making it out to be" anything, we're giving an honest opinion just like you did, and warning away anyone who thought this might be something legitimately good.

The fact is, it's not a very good upscale, and really, just watching the Dragon Boxes and Funimation's original DVD singles looks better. This is the same kind of smeary bullshit as we have on the 30th set only it's not from a genuine HD source, and it's not quite as heavily filtered.
If that doesn't bother you, that's fine, but this isn't about people "making it out to be" something it's not, this is about people seeing something you don't.
Trying to equate these sets to the Funi 30th or the orange bricks is absolute gaslighting. Sorry, but this time the delusional camp is on the other court, you can clearly see defined lines for one, something that's lacking on even Funi's latest try. If you'd like to wait for a better remaster, preferably done by Toei themselves using the source footage, that's grand and I'm with you there when/if it comes out. Just don't try and talk shit about a release you're not buying and don't know much about, potentially alienating people who'll just take your word for it. The ideal utopian DBZ Home Release has yet to arrive, but there's no need to sabotage an otherwise competent release done by a much smaller company.
Oh and it looks much better than even SV's DB outing. I know this, because I own them, it doesn't look smeared.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:03 pm

BlueChi wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:56 pmIf you'd like to wait for a better remaster, preferably done by Toei themselves using the source footage, that's grand and I'm with you there when/if it comes out. Just don't try and talk shit about a release you're not buying and don't know much about, potentially alienating people who'll just take your word for it. The ideal utopian DBZ Home Release has yet to arrive, but there's no need to sabotage an otherwise competent release done by a much smaller company.
Oh and it looks much better than even SV's DB outing. I know this, because I own them, it doesn't look smeared.
I don't have any faith in TOEI after them missing the golden opportunity that was the 30th anniversary. Even if they had of taken that opportunity, let's not kid ourselves that TOEI would have been any kind of superhero given their history.

At one point TOEI did decide to try their hand at doing a HD remaster of their series, starting with Galaxy Express 999. Not only did TOEI have no interest in using this series to show what a 16mm TV anime shot on film could look like if done right, they used Galaxy Express 999 as a test to see if the average Japanese consumer could tell the difference between a full HD remaster and an SD upscale.

As if it would be any surprise to us Dragon Ball fans, what did TOEI do with Galaxy Express 999? They took a pretty solid DVD master, outsourced to Q-Tec for the upscaling and filtering work. The result? Fans loved it, there was no significant backlash, and ever since there hasn't been a single TOEI show that wasn't a filtered SD upscale.

Why should we count on TOEI to treat Dragon Ball any better and give it this utopian home release? All this series ever was for them is a vehicle for selling toys and merch, not the great show it is that's worth preserving for the ages. They trashed the original audio masters because the hard work the Japanese cast put in and Kikuchi's incredible score because both had served their purpose and in TOEI's eyes were no longer relevant.

We the fans care about these things, but TOEI have given us no reason to suspect they do.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:14 pm

BlueChi wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:56 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:37 pm It amazes me how consistently people will leap to the defence of some shitty box set that's notably inferior to the Dragon Boxes; first the 30th anniversary sets, then the SelectaVision DB set, now this SV DBZ set. Feels just like the people who leap to the defence of the Orange Bricks in every other online community. The sentiment is always the same; "It's not as bad as people say! I like it just fine and everyone complaining is just wrong."

Trying to equate these sets to the Funi 30th or the orange bricks is absolute gaslighting.
Regardless if you agree with Robo or not, calling it gaslighting is kind of abusing the term there.