Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Liquir » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:34 am

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:36 am

Oh, so this IS a Gohan-centric film after all.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:12 pm

Liquir wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:34 am
What a weird statement. If the movie was called "Dragon Ball Super: Hero" the idea would still get across. Use "Super" twice is just redundant, however this is the same franchise that still uses "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" officially for SSB. I guess they think its funny.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:39 pm

I know it doesn't apply in Japanese, but I feel like adding "The" to Super Hero would make it flow better in English at least.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:52 pm

With all means of respect and nothing personal, but considering the fact is head of the DB Room, an initiative which should promote new ideas for the franchise going forward, this guy rarely actually has something intresting to say.

If i hear him talk, it almost feels like he thinks we are all neanderthalers.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:48 pm

He makes it sound like this movie is going to involve the people of Earth banding together to stop the bad guys, which I not only doubt, but is also something the Boo arc already did.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:36 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:52 pm With all means of respect and nothing personal, but considering the fact is head of the DB Room, an initiative which should promote new ideas for the franchise going forward, this guy rarely actually has something intresting to say.

If i hear him talk, it almost feels like he thinks we are all neanderthalers.
He is close enough.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:43 pm

Iyoku isn't talking to you or me or us, though.

He's talking to general media/press first and foremost, and these quotes are getting used in a supplementary fashion in marketing spiels to children.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:05 pm

That's the biggest mistake hey have ever made with DBS. DB is originally not a series meant for little children.
It is meant for adolescents. I know why they do this: they simply want to make more money out of it, but it ripps the soul from the series.
The franchise should also realize there are a lot of older fans, who don't like the extremely childlike tone of voice and in marketing and way of storytelling.

This should be written and marketed towards the PG-13-category.
That's one of the few things i still have to give credits for to the manga, at least it has that more right than the animated part.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:09 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:05 pm That's the biggest mistake hey have ever made with DBS. DB is originally not a series meant for little children.
It is meant for adolescents. I know why they do this: they simply want to make more money out of it, but it ripps the soul from the series.
Dragon Ball Super is absolutely meant for children. So was the original series. So is almost everything about this franchise except for the expensive nostalgia-bait figures and such.

The television series aired during their general children's programming block. The latest demographics for V-Jump (where the manga is serialized) are from 2019, where it was 25% upper elementary school, 24% middle school, 20% lower elementary school, 12% high school, 15% working adults, and 4% in college.

C'mon, y'all. We're not the target audience here!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:09 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:05 pm That's the biggest mistake hey have ever made with DBS. DB is originally not a series meant for little children.
Dragon Ball Super is absolutely meant for children. So was the original series. So is almost everything about this franchise except for the expensive nostalgia-bait figures and such.

The television series aired during their general children's programming block. The latest demographics for V-Jump (where the manga is serialized) are from 2019, where it was 25% upper elementary school, 24% middle school, 20% lower elementary school, 12% high school, 15% working adults, and 4% in college.

C'mon, y'all. We're not the target audience here!

I agree we are not the main audience. That was not entirely what i meant.
I only stated they should take into account there are a lot of older fans as well, that still carry the franchise.
No matter how you may turn it, they talk to those people as well with their press releases.
That aren't exactly a few either.

The original series had a PG-13-rating warning if i am correct, Super is suited for younger children as well and is definitely not PG-13.
I don't expect DBS te get an R-rating and only serve the older fans. But why shift if you know there are a lot of older fans, why simply not stay at PG-13, to keep the church in between?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:22 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 am
Grimlock wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:37 amOr better yet overhaul the entire Dragon Room or team working on Super & get some fresh blood that actually want to do something different,new & exciting with the franchise.
Yeah, someone from Dimps should be in that "Dragon Room" (if there aren't any already). It seems they're the only ones interested in doing something different, new and exciting. They should find and hire their own "Kevin Feige" too.
Also set 4 hard rules that everyone on the team follows including Toriyama:

1.No more Retcons
2.No Z retellings or amalgamations of DB/Z era arcs or movies disguised as “new arc”.
3.No unnecessary transformations/power ups
4.Keep overall consistency across the board I.e art style etc.

If fixes like this were done Super would be a much better series than what it currently is.
I agree; and in my opinion, if Toyotaro does get the Yamamuro treatment, then I think that they should replace him with Fenyo, and him and Salagir (Dragon Ball Multiverse creator, in case y'all forgot) could make the DBS manga. Salagir comes up with the stories, Toriyama revises them, and then Fenyo draws it.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:19 pm

Did the pictures for the two mystery characters been posted yet?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:01 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:22 pm
Grimlock wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 am

Yeah, someone from Dimps should be in that "Dragon Room" (if there aren't any already). It seems they're the only ones interested in doing something different, new and exciting. They should find and hire their own "Kevin Feige" too.

1.No more Retcons
2.No Z retellings or amalgamations of DB/Z era arcs or movies disguised as “new arc”.

If fixes like this were done Super would be a much better series than what it currently is.
I agree; and in my opinion, if Toyotaro does get the Yamamuro treatment, then I think that they should replace him with Fenyo, and him and Salagir (Dragon Ball Multiverse creator, in case y'all forgot) could make the DBS manga. Salagir comes up with the stories, Toriyama revises them, and then Fenyo draws it.

Don't know what type of drug your on but you need to stop before it's too late.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:34 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:01 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:22 pm

1.No more Retcons

Don't know what type of drug your on but you need to stop before it's too late.
Damn

This is some pretty damn good LSD (this is obviously a joke, don't take it seriously)
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:00 pm

Been a while I will give this move a shot

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:56 am

It won't surprise me if Freeza does have a cameo in the film or he shows up on the last minute.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:09 am

Perhaps there will be a Day One 60fps/Graphical Shader patch for this Gamecube game masquerading as a “movie”.Have everyone wait in the theater atrium an hour before they get seated so it can finish updating :lol: Might salvage the movie from being a complete flop.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:45 am

The advertising for this movie is so lackluster compared to Broly. Their only way of hyping people is "HEY GOHAN IS THE MC NOW PLEASE WATCH"? Really?
Saying "the battle takes place on Earth now!" as if most of the fights haven't been on Earth?
What even is this advertising?

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:36 pm

It is kinda funny they are making a big deal that the movie takes place on earth. Last time we had a movie not take place on earth was movie 12 lol. Maybe they are making a point that the threat is Earthly as is from Earth. That hasn't been done since Path to Power or movie 7.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat