Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:42 pm

They should've just made Dragon Ball Super: Coola instead of this. I've got a plot synopsis already.

It's the End of Z. Goku's in his blue gi, Vegeta's in his End of Z outfit, everyone's older, Broli and Cheelai got married, and they have a baby son now. His name's Endai (endive). Freeza's in his ship, drinking wine, thinking about how to get revenge on the Dragon Team once again. Going with his dad got him killed by Future Trunks and training got him killed by Goku. He's deep in thought. Then he remembers his brother, Coola. We get a flashback to when Freeza and Coola were kids. They were always fighting and hated each other, and King Cold always had to step in to break them up. Coola was always stronger than Freeza, and when he heard the news that Cold was giving his empire to Freeza, he got pissed and isolated himself for years in space.

He eventually found a couple of loyal guys named Dore, Salza and Neiz and started the Coola Armored Squadron. He began to conquer planets with these three guys, and eventually built up a name for himself in the Southern Galaxy. He also trained so that one day he could defeat his brother and finally take over the empire which he believes to be rightfully his.

Years later...

Freeza calls Coola for the first time in decades. He tells Coola that he was defeated by some Saiyans on Earth. At first, Coola laughs his ass off at this, as anyone would. But then Freeza tells him he wants his help to take down those Saiyans, because they're a danger to his empire. After thinking about it for a little while, he says, "...alright. I'll help. But promise me this. Promise me, that if I help you defeat these Saiyans, you'll give me part of your little empire. And before you disagree, remember that I'm far stronger than you are. I can kill you at any time." Freeza feels threatened by this, but he eventually agrees. So the two go to Earth, however, Freeza's got a plan to betray Coola eventually.

Now, see, THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE AN INTERESTING PREMISE FOR A MOVIE. Toei, take notes. Tell me your thoughts on this hypothetical Coola story.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:36 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:42 pm They should've just made Dragon Ball Super: Coola instead of this. I've got a plot synopsis already.

It's the End of Z. Goku's in his blue gi, Vegeta's in his End of Z outfit, everyone's older, Broli and Cheelai got married, and they have a baby son now. His name's Endai (endive). Freeza's in his ship, drinking wine, thinking about how to get revenge on the Dragon Team once again. Going with his dad got him killed by Future Trunks and training got him killed by Goku. He's deep in thought. Then he remembers his brother, Coola. We get a flashback to when Freeza and Coola were kids. They were always fighting and hated each other, and King Cold always had to step in to break them up. Coola was always stronger than Freeza, and when he heard the news that Cold was giving his empire to Freeza, he got pissed and isolated himself for years in space.

He eventually found a couple of loyal guys named Dore, Salza and Neiz and started the Coola Armored Squadron. He began to conquer planets with these three guys, and eventually built up a name for himself in the Southern Galaxy. He also trained so that one day he could defeat his brother and finally take over the empire which he believes to be rightfully his.

Years later...

Freeza calls Coola for the first time in decades. He tells Coola that he was defeated by some Saiyans on Earth. At first, Coola laughs his ass off at this, as anyone would. But then Freeza tells him he wants his help to take down those Saiyans, because they're a danger to his empire. After thinking about it for a little while, he says, "...alright. I'll help. But promise me this. Promise me, that if I help you defeat these Saiyans, you'll give me part of your little empire. And before you disagree, remember that I'm far stronger than you are. I can kill you at any time." Freeza feels threatened by this, but he eventually agrees. So the two go to Earth, however, Freeza's got a plan to betray Coola eventually.

Now, see, THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE AN INTERESTING PREMISE FOR A MOVIE. Toei, take notes. Tell me your thoughts on this hypothetical Coola story.
That actually sounds very interesting. It's a shame never saw interaction between Coola and Freeza.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:41 pm

In the Broly-thread four years ago there were constant guessings and discussions about what the exact plot of the movie would be. This movie will be released within 3 months, and there is still a lot room to fill in, but you don't find any meaningful further speculation about the content of the movie itself in the latest 10-15 pages of this thread, and now people are even talking about other potential scenarios?
That is at least very remarkable. Where is the hype guys? :shifty:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:19 pm

I think that the introduction of Frost makes Cooler kind of obsolete, since Frost is supposed to be a dark counterpart of Frieza, who like Cooler is more manipulative and cunning. That being said, a movie about Cooler would have been 100% more interesting, if anything because there is a sort of Evil vs. Evil scenario that could have been explored. The movie could have been about the power games between the two brothers as for who gets to rule the empire, with the Earth caught in-between their power schemes, which is a way more interesting premise than this movie.

FPSSJ4_Goku Your concept is what I'm talking about, if the movie was about Cooler, they could write all kinds of galaxy brain power games between him and his brother, which would make the movie entertaining. Just like the ToP arc was entertaining thanks to Frieza and Frost. Imho Frieza was the most interesting addition to that arc, because he plotted and schemed in the dark, and had the whole rivalry with Frost. You were constantly wondering "who's going to betray who" and "omg is frieza going to betray the team 7 or really help them in the end", which made the arc more interesting. A movie about Cooler could have been the same, with you constantly asking "omg is Frieza really helping X or does he have ulterior motives, is Cooler faking friendship with his brother or what", etc. plot-wise such a movie would generate so much more hype and internet traffic.

Maybe Cooler could have gone to the Earth to recruit the Saiyans against his brother, promising that if he gets to rule the empire, he will leave Earth alone. But then you'd be wondering if he's just using the Saiyans as pawns and intends to keep that promise. Idk I'm sure you can write a lot of scenarios that are much more interesting than this bland Gohan movie.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:03 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:41 pm In the Broly-thread four years ago there were constant guessings and discussions about what the exact plot of the movie would be. This movie will be released within 3 months, and there is still a lot room to fill in, but you don't find any meaningful further speculation about the content of the movie itself in the latest 10-15 pages of this thread, and now people are even talking about other potential scenarios?
Mostly avoiding the negativity
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:30 pm

fleahop wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:03 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:41 pm In the Broly-thread four years ago there were constant guessings and discussions about what the exact plot of the movie would be. This movie will be released within 3 months, and there is still a lot room to fill in, but you don't find any meaningful further speculation about the content of the movie itself in the latest 10-15 pages of this thread, and now people are even talking about other potential scenarios?
Mostly avoiding the negativity

Not sure where you are aiming at with this comment. Please make your point more clear.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:44 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:42 pm Now, see, THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE AN INTERESTING PREMISE FOR A MOVIE. Toei, take notes. Tell me your thoughts on this hypothetical Coola story.
I'm more partial to the idea that Coola WAS next in line for the throne but Freeza through some underhanded trickery usurped him and had him exiled to the edge of the galaxy by King Cold, given a dead planet to "rule" over (a callback to the dead planet he was on at the start of Cooler's Revenge).

The only issue I have with my idea is that the whole exiled to a crappy planet thing was already done by Broly :lol:

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:57 pm

If you go back a couple pages there are some good thoughts about the timeskip-like feeling for this movie, and I agree with it - its exciting that it feels like it moves things forward, closer to EOZ.

I've mentioned this before, but I think part of the problem is that this thread tends to be bogged down with "meta comments" like yours. There's a lot of talking about what other people are thinking - are other people excited? Why aren't other people excited? For me, this is frustrating because it feels wrong. I'm excited for this movie! Many other people have said the same thing! It's fine not to be, but it's completely untrue that there is no discussion and no hype for this film.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:46 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:44 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:42 pm Now, see, THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE AN INTERESTING PREMISE FOR A MOVIE. Toei, take notes. Tell me your thoughts on this hypothetical Coola story.
I'm more partial to the idea that Coola WAS next in line for the throne but Freeza through some underhanded trickery usurped him and had him exiled to the edge of the galaxy by King Cold, given a dead planet to "rule" over (a callback to the dead planet he was on at the start of Cooler's Revenge).

The only issue I have with my idea is that the whole exiled to a crappy planet thing was already done by Broly :lol:
Not really "exiled to a crappy planet", and more like "isolated himself from his family to better himself and assert his dominance later"
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:38 am

You’re only a success in the moment that you do a successful act, these acts have to either constantly be repeated or 1up’d all the time. Toei fails to understand this concept apparently. In the case of Broly that moment of success has long since passed. In regard to this new “movie” based on everything shown is light years away from being an equivalent much less superior to the previous one. Ironically the Miyamoto quote “A delayed game can eventually be good, but a rushed game is forever bad” constantly comes to mind when I think about this new production.

DBS:SH as it stands is a disastrous fusion of hubris,laziness, poor marketing/planning, & unreasonable ambition coming from both Toei & Akira Toriyama. It’s also a strong example of why trusting in the medium’s original style is always the best idea. Computer graphics were never the right approach. But I feel since Toei and the Dragonball Room is damn near ran like a gerontocracy. Any dissenting young voice on the team( if there is any) is probably drowned out or doesn’t speak up and call a spade a spade & say “Guys, look this is awful” out of an absurd sense of respect or fear. On that same token any older person on the team will be easily impressed by these visuals which at best is similar to what we the audience have seen done better before on the PS2 era years prior.

I’m disappointed in Chikashi Kubota he worked on S1 of One Punch Man one of the best animated seasons of an anime in recent memory and he’s seriously gonna tweet confidently that this movie looks good? When the only notable star on a staff list thats jam packed with rank & file industry nobodies who’ve been given a task to create something they have little to no experience in says such a thing you know it’s a about to be shitshow.

There would be hope if the first impression was strong but we all know it wasn’t. It was a major misstep and a nail in the coffin for the movie. After that the court of public opinion had already spoken & as we know there is no flexibility in perception especially after you’ve made an abysmal first impression I don’t know why they even bothered with a 2nd trailer.

I fear this incoming disaster will bring more infamy and disreputation to this franchise that quite frankly isn’t needed. However, there is still time for all parties involved in producing to backtrack and save face. This entire mess can easily be flipped into a big April Fools joke. The brand can’t afford to release a terrible product that’s on par with Evolution.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:52 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:38 amI don’t know why they even bothered with a 2nd trailer.
Showing Gohan as a central character, since he wasn't in the 1st trailer at all. It brought some hype, so the 2nd trailer was a right call. Too bad they stopped capitalizing on it and the hype got drowned out again.

Nonetheless I hope the next week's 3rd trailer at Battle Hour will be a game changer. But at this point it will be a hard task to persuade the people who don't have strong impression of the movie so far.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:21 am

Can I just point out that we've only seen around a minute of footage from this film.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:30 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:21 am Can I just point out that we've only seen around a minute of footage from this film.
Yup.
How can people evaluate this movie and calling anything being a tragedy or a success from that?
The hyperbole around this parts is high.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:17 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:21 am Can I just point out that we've only seen around a minute of footage from this film.
Then again, as others have pointed out, we should have seen MUCH more advertising of this film by now. I am still hoping for new information this month, but so far the promotion has been pretty dull.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:19 am

capsulecorp wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:57 pm
If you go back a couple pages there are some good thoughts about the timeskip-like feeling for this movie, and I agree with it - its exciting that it feels like it moves things forward, closer to EOZ.

I've mentioned this before, but I think part of the problem is that this thread tends to be bogged down with "meta comments" like yours. There's a lot of talking about what other people are thinking - are other people excited? Why aren't other people excited? For me, this is frustrating because it feels wrong. I'm excited for this movie! Many other people have said the same thing! It's fine not to be, but it's completely untrue that there is no discussion and no hype for this film.

A meta comment is meant to derail things, with an obviously negative purpose. I cannot derail a discussion that isn't really on course to begin with. Moreover i didn't say 'there is no discussion or hype at all'. I only said 'there seems to be a lack of speculation concerning the scenario of the movie itself and general hype in comparison to the movie Broly'.
Am i not allowed to say this?

With all due respect, this was not meant as a meta comment. I was only responding to what FPSSJ4_Goku said. I found it remarkable that someone posted an alternate screenplay here, rather than going into the current screenplay of the movie itself. Then I searched the previous pages and I can only conclude that the general speculation is nowhere near Broly. Can I find that surprising for the first animated material outside of Heroes in 4 years?

Anything related to the new film may be discussed or said here, as long as it is respectful. I think the fact that you are annoyed by my comment goes against the freedom of expression. Furthermore, it feels like you are accusing me of intentionally doing this for an explicit negative purpose or to break anything down, which was absolutely not the case here.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:57 am

1. Jeez, it's just a movie.
2. Creators are getting paid poorly to bust their asses working on this film. Let's not use insulting words like 'lazy'.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:52 am

The explanation of the movie title cracked me up, I never expected such a lame reason behind a redundant name. It reminded me of when there was a Homer Simpson on a tv show and the writers explained the name of the show... Police Cops.

"Everybody is a hero"... damn :lol: :lol:

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:34 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:19 am Furthermore, it feels like you are accusing me of intentionally doing this for an explicit negative purpose or to break anything down, which was absolutely not the case here. I think the fact that you are annoyed by my comment goes against the freedom of expression.
Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that about your comment! I don't think "meta" conversations are even bad, necessarily (I mean, this is also a "meta comment"!), though I have noticed that some people tend to disguise their own opinions by framing them as observations of what "other people" are or are not saying and feeling.

It's fine to have and express opinions but, at the end of the day, there's more discussion about how "people are not excited for this movie" than there even are people saying "I am not excited for this movie". And, of course, there are people in this very thread who have repeatedly said that they are in fact looking forward to it! Like me! And on top of that, the DBS Super Hero premise is much more interesting to me than the fan created Cooler thing!

Now, concerning freedom of expression... as many people have said, you don't actually have that on this website. Posting on Kanzenshuu is not a right. But, I'm not trying to get you or anyone else to stop posting! I just want a more interesting thread with less repetitive posts.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:53 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:42 pm They should've just made Dragon Ball Super: Coola instead of this. I've got a plot synopsis already.

Years later...

It's funny... I got raked over the coals for saying a Cooler movie would be more interested earlier in the thread, now I find it funny that people would rather have him over what we got. I'm not saying you in specific, but I'm noticing people aren't exactly hype for what we are getting. Any movie villain coming back would be more interesting. Cooler, Bojack, Janemba, Lord Slug, hell... even Hatchiyack would be better than what we're getting. Honestly, as much as people would groan, If the surprise villain was a perfect Cell revival it would be 100 times more hype to it. Whether it would be people bitching about it or people hype to see him return, It would get people talking. There is nothing to talk about with this movie, the villains look lame, the story so far looks uninteresting and it's not helped with the subpar CGI. I don't see anything that appeals to anyone here, not even Gohan or Piccolo fans.

BOG introduced a new protagonist, but It got away with it because the franchise was dormant for so long and it turned out to be interesting and fun. Fans were clamoring for new content and would welcome anything. While resurrection F was universally panned, It still managed to get butts in seats on Frieza's name alone, and Broly...Need I say more?. While I would probably modify a few things on your script, for something you cooked up it's 5000 times more interesting than Super superhero is. I would pay to watch your Cooler movie, Super Hero on the other hand... I don't even think I'll wait for rental or to see it uploaded for free. I'll probably watch some clips on Youtube, that's it. smh

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

If they ever were to bring in Cooler, I would much prefer the idea that he was the black sheep of the family, due to not being naturally strong like Freeza and Cold, thus forcing him to train his entire life to try and prove himself.