Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi Launch Podcast About Vic Mignogna Defamation Case

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi Launch Podcast About Vic Mignogna Defamation Case

Post by Peach » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:24 pm

coola wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:01 am I guess my main "problem" with feminism/left, is situation in my country, 90% heads of feminist/LGBT movements are people, who is 1980's were part of communist government or their organizations, that's why lots young feminists or homosexuals don't wanna be represent by them or LGBT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Hyacinth
This post left a sour taste in my mouth. Feminism and LGBTQIA+ groups have the best of intentions. Radicals can come from any ideology and they do not represent those groups.
Last edited by Peach on Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:32 pm

On the subject of the podcast, is it a good idea for Rial and Marchi to openly talk about this and be cheeky about it? Wouldn’t that just invite more harassment and doxing?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:33 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:32 pm On the subject of the podcast, is it a good idea for Rial and Marchi to openly talk about this and be cheeky about it? Wouldn’t that just invite more harassment and doxing?
This is addressed over and over in the podcast itself.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:48 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:32 pm On the subject of the podcast, is it a good idea for Rial and Marchi to openly talk about this and be cheeky about it? Wouldn’t that just invite more harassment and doxing?
Dick Lasagna stans were doing that anyways. The podcast lets them find humor in the absurdity of the trolling they’ve received as well give support to people who have been sexually harassed and assaulted and don’t have the platform they do.

They shouldn’t have to play perfect victim to deter neckbeards who are gonna do their thing anyways.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:08 pm

Yes, and I think it takes a lot of courage to talk so openly about trauma. I hope it has helped them.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:42 pm

Definitely, yes. Victims can find many different ways to express and heal themselves, openness and humour can be a great way to heal.
Getting things out of one's chest is never a bad idea, if it's working for them, then it is a good idea.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:43 pm

Got around to listening to the episode this morning, and it was a really pleasant listen considering the subject matter. Jamie mentioned doing another podcast about ghost stories, and if the vibe is anything like this, I just might have to give that one a look. I was holding off on giving it a go because I thought it'd be a bit of a downer, but Monica and Jamie made it so upbeat and fun.

So, some takeaways from the episode:

1. "Marchi" is pronounced with a hard "ch". Since I hadn't heard it spoken up to this point, I had just assumed it was a soft one.

2. Monica is, according to Jamie, second only to a Japanese seiyu in terms of number of different anime characters voiced. Scrolling through her Behind the Voice Actors page, I believe it.

3. They denied both being involved with the Illuminati and being lizard people, which can only mean that both allegations are true :P

4. Mignogna was let go from Funimation and canceled from cons before Monica and Jamie posted their first tweets on the matter.

Let me repeat that one for the people in the back: By the time Monica and Jamie went public with their allegations, Mignogna was already fired from Funimation and had his appearances canceled by conventions.

Jamie said she was quite pissed about how everyone gets this timeline wrong, and I completely understand. I was certainly under the impression that Monica and Jamie were the catalyst, and I'm not alone even among supporters of theirs, according to what they were saying. But that certainly changes my impression of Vic's lawsuit from "vindictive" to "comically stupid". Like, I would not blame him going and suing his lawyer for malpractice after this is all said and done, because convincing or allowing him to go forward with this suit was plain going against his best interest, no matter how you look at it.

Speaking of the lawsuit, on the podcast's website is a link to a Google Drive with all sorts of legal documents relating to that. I don't got time to look into any of that, but for those of you on the fence about this, you don't have to take our word for it, so have at it.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:14 am

MetaMoss wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:43 pm Monica is, according to Jamie, second only to a Japanese seiyu in terms of number of different anime characters voiced. Scrolling through her Behind the Voice Actors page, I believe it.
Maybe I just forgot, they didn't say who that seiyu was, did they? I mean, I'm guessing it's Takehito Koyasu anyway, since he's the one that always gets brought up.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:22 am

I suppose this post is more about the thread and the people in it than the podcast in question, but...it seems kinda messed up in here. Also seems to be more about politics than the podcast or the validity of the claims in said podcast.

Like, if you're an "I have love for all people" (until meeting them and deciding they don't deserve it) kind of person, like me, and don't pick sides based on opinions and feelings but simply based on facts, proof, and logic...it seems like you're labeled as a "bad person" for even daring to not follow the herd. It feels like people aren't allowed to ask questions or come up with their own opinion.

Saying that people who have opinions you disagree with with were "led astray" or have been "hoodwinked" is very...I don't even know what the word would be. But, definitely bad.

As is saying "Banning people who don't think he is bad sounds like a good idea!"

And that people who don't think like you, "we need to get to ASAP".

It's just very..."my political side is the right one and we need to bandwagon together destroy the enemy". But this isn't politics, not is anyone here the enemy. Just humans friends who love Dragon Ball together. It's just shocking to see this from people who...might not be friends of mine...but are definitely the people I've communicated with and known the longest. I've been on here since like 2004 or so; FAR longer than any friends I still have. And I'm the friend who'll tell you when you're being irrational, even if it'll make you mad at me. Sorry, but I do think some people here need to chill. And don't forget that what you "know is the fact" might not actually be. One day, Pluto might not be a planet, dinosaurs might not be scaly, and the Salem witch burnings might be just witch hangings.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:08 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:22 am I suppose this post is more about the thread and the people in it than the podcast in question, but...it seems kinda messed up in here. Also seems to be more about politics than the podcast or the validity of the claims in said podcast.

Like, if you're an "I have love for all people" (until meeting them and deciding they don't deserve it) kind of person, like me, and don't pick sides based on opinions and feelings but simply based on facts, proof, and logic...it seems like you're labeled as a "bad person" for even daring to not follow the herd. It feels like people aren't allowed to ask questions or come up with their own opinion.
Me, I don't give a hoot about this "Right vs Left" nonsense most people get up to...

But this isn't just "politics"—it's a question that goes back to the start of human history. "A woman claims a man harmed her, and no one can prove who's right—what do you do?". It's critical enough that the Bible itself takes time to address it. It answers thus:
Deuteronomy 22:25-27 wrote:25 “But if the man meets [a] woman out in the country ["makes sure no one else is around", in other words], and he rapes her, then only the man must die. 26 Do nothing to the young woman; she has committed no crime worthy of death. She is as innocent as a murder victim. 27 Since the man raped her out in the country, it must be assumed that she screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.
Deuteronomy 22:27 wrote:27 it must be assumed that she screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.
Deuteronomy 22:27 wrote:27 ...it must be assumed...
Mind you, this same chapter advocates stoning women to death if they commit adultery against someone they're married or engaged to, so this isn't exactly a "touchy feely" book we're talking here. If even it's saying "believe the victim", that tells me something.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:30 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:08 am
Deuteronomy 22:25-27 wrote:25 “But if the man meets [a] woman out in the country ["makes sure no one else is around", in other words], and he rapes her, then only the man must die. 26 Do nothing to the young woman; she has committed no crime worthy of death. She is as innocent as a murder victim. 27 Since the man raped her out in the country, it must be assumed that she screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.
Deuteronomy 22:27 wrote:27 it must be assumed that she screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.
Mind you, this same chapter advocates stoning women to death if they commit adultery against someone they're married or engaged to, so this isn't exactly a "touchy feely" book we're talking here. If even it's saying "believe the victim", that tells me something.
Say, isn't Vic an outspoken Christian man? At least that is what I heard.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:52 am

coola wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:01 am I guess my main "problem" with feminism/left, is situation in my country, 90% heads of feminist/LGBT movements are people, who is 1980's were part of communist government or their organizations, that's why lots young feminists or homosexuals don't wanna be represent by them or LGBT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Hyacinth
Coola, what values do you think are intrinsic to the left?

I’d like you to think about that and then quote reply to me so I see it.

Then, I would like you to ask yourself, what values are intrinsic to the right. After that, ask yourself what is valued by a centrist.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:02 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:08 am
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:22 am I suppose this post is more about the thread and the people in it than the podcast in question, but...it seems kinda messed up in here. Also seems to be more about politics than the podcast or the validity of the claims in said podcast.

Me, I don't give a hoot about this "Right vs Left" nonsense most people get up to...

But this isn't just "politics"—it's a question that goes back to the start of human history. "A woman claims a man harmed her, and no one can prove who's right—what do you do?". It's critical enough that the Bible itself takes time to address it. It answers thus:
The left right spectrum is really helpful if you understand it. You see, the right can easily adapt left wing positions because most people really fucking hate the right, but the lines become blurred because now a left position is a bad one because a rightie said they are a leftie. Left people cannot adapt a right wing position and call it’s usually harmful.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:54 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:22 am

Oh, this regurgitated crap.
Saying that people who have opinions you disagree with with were "led astray" or have been "hoodwinked" is very...I don't even know what the word would be. But, definitely bad.

“ Faulconer’s music is awesome” is an opinion I disagree with.

“Sean Schemmel is the greatest voice of English Goku” is an opinion I disagree with.

“Vic Mignogna is a talented voice actor” is an opinion I
I disagree.with.

“Vic is innocent” isn’t an opinion it’s just wrong

“Sure Vic might have a history of sexually harassing women and making unwanted advances but Marchi is a feminist and Rial spoke out Vic’s behavior and those are just as bad!” is not an opinion it’s just a gross point of view.

People need to stop thinking their factually wrong takes are valid opinions.
. And don't forget that what you "know is the fact" might not actually be. One day, Pluto might not be a planet, dinosaurs might not be scaly, and the Salem witch burnings might be just witch hangings.
Oh Christ. Cut that crap.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:43 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:30 amSay, isn't Vic an outspoken Christian man? At least that is what I heard.
Indeed. One wonders how he justifies cheating on his prospective wife (which he's also admitted) for so long--or if his faith is even genuine.

That's the sad truth about being a country's most popular religion--lots of phonies.
Last edited by Fionordequester on Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:55 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:43 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:30 amSay, isn't Vic an outspoken Christian man? At least that is what I heard.
Indeed. One wonders how he justifies cheating on his prospective wife (which he's also admitted) for so long--or if his faith is even genuine.

That's the sad truth about being a country's most popular religion--lots of phonies.
One can be genuine in belief while being bad in practice. If Vic is remorseful, he should accept being held accountable for his actions--in one way or another--as repentance.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:00 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:55 amOne can be genuine in belief while being bad in practice. If Vic is remorseful, he should accept being held accountable for his actions--in one way or another--as repentance.
Indeed. It really is depressingly common for people to twist religious instruction to their own end, though. Even Satan quoted Scripture, while tempting Jesus.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:10 am

Shaddy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:14 am
MetaMoss wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:43 pm Monica is, according to Jamie, second only to a Japanese seiyu in terms of number of different anime characters voiced. Scrolling through her Behind the Voice Actors page, I believe it.
Maybe I just forgot, they didn't say who that seiyu was, did they? I mean, I'm guessing it's Takehito Koyasu anyway, since he's the one that always gets brought up.
Just double-checked where they said that, and they did not specify. Also, it sounded like she was second to that one seiyu in terms of female voice actors. Still quite the accomplishment, for sure.
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:22 am *snip*
I'm just going to share this link again without additional comment: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... w8aUn2HpR9

Actually, I'll do you one better: the court's official dismissal of the defamation suit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qiH0lg ... wv542/view
I think it's a succinct enough summary of how valid Rial and Marchi's claims are.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:09 am

Because just about every claim in the podcast is well-documented, and the most important of them are literally in the deposition you can read online any time you want. If your first impulse is to interrogate everything they say with a "what if they're randomly lying?" after a whole circus of a court case where Vic's team failed to prove exactly that, then perhaps you're coming at this with a bit of bias.

Also, this is a political issue, and not thinking so is foolish. That's not a diss, it's just genuinely a stupid belief to divorce this situation from the politics surrounding it.
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:22 am Like, if you're an "I have love for all people" (until meeting them and deciding they don't deserve it) kind of person, like me, and don't pick sides based on opinions and feelings but simply based on facts, proof, and logic...it seems like you're labeled as a "bad person" for even daring to not follow the herd. It feels like people aren't allowed to ask questions or come up with their own opinion.
If you're so quick to judge someone as being too judgemental, how are you any better? All this illustrates is that your "love" is limited to people playing into anti-feminist conspiracy theories, and not the people those theories would hurt.
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:22 am Saying that people who have opinions you disagree with with were "led astray" or have been "hoodwinked" is very...I don't even know what the word would be. But, definitely bad.
Well you're saying it's bad to hold the opinion that it's not wrong to say that, so how are you any better?

It's actually very forgiving to call them deceived, because that implies their actions and beliefs come from some kind of a place of innocence, which is the best they can hope for given that those actions and beliefs are objectively shit.
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:22 am As is saying "Banning people who don't think he is bad sounds like a good idea!"

And that people who don't think like you, "we need to get to ASAP".
Banning misogynist harassment (and the defense of it) is an act of kindness, both on the victims for not receiving it, and on the opportunity it gives the aggressor to reflect on their own actions. If they respect the moderation team enough to question why their dumb beliefs are not being respected, they might change them to something less dumb (and before you spew some bullshit about it making it worse, statistically deplatforming of all types decreases aggression).
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:22 am It's just very..."my political side is the right one and we need to bandwagon together destroy the enemy". But this isn't politics, not is anyone here the enemy. Just humans friends who love Dragon Ball together.
If someone thinks Jews secretly control the world, I'm not going to let them stick around on my Sonic the hedgehog forum just because they also like Sonic. They are a threat to at least one ethnic community, almost certainly more.

If someone thinks vaccines are poison and that we should all go maskless and cough on children in a wal-mart, I'm not going to stick around them just because they also like Homestuck. They are a threat to public health and spreading disinformation.

And if someone says that victims of sexual assault and harassment are part of a secret feminist conspiracy to attack men, regardless of whether they believe the accusations against Mignogna are a legitimate part of this plot, I'm not going to continue "being their friend and loving Dragon Ball together". They are, at the most charitable assumption possible, on the precipice of being indoctrinated into a misogynist hate mob. The biggest olive branch they should ever receive is support on the healthiest ways to get away from that movement.

People are allowed to have standards, believe it or not.
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:22 amAnd I'm the friend who'll tell you when you're being irrational, even if it'll make you mad at me.
I fear for whoever you may have told that in the past, because you appear to be an awful judge of it.
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:22 amAnd don't forget that what you "know is the fact" might not actually be. One day, Pluto might not be a planet, dinosaurs might not be scaly, and the Salem witch burnings might be just witch hangings.
One day, it also might turn out that you murdered seven people and stuffed them in a closet. But importantly, there's no evidence of that (I hope), while Vic himself has literally admitted guilt to several of the accusations. See the difference?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:08 am

In this regard, i admit my views are "little" controversial, and could be seen as terrible, but yes, I'm radical in terms of politics, i go to media to escape from reality and all those political issues, so when someone puts any political propaganda, no matter left or right, i vote with my wallet and don't buy or listen to stuff with it, with that in mind, of course what Vic, people at Activision Blizzard etc. did, was terrible and inexcusable, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna buy anything Marchi or Schemmel is in.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015