Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 81 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 81 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:31 pm

Sounds like an opportunity to brainstorm conflicts Goku might have.

Let's see, maybe like somebody else said, the wishes get undone once Monaito dies, and he has to kill Monaito, or let him die, in order to bring Gas back to normal? sounds really un-DB-like, but this isn't exacty the most DB-like arc.

Another conflict would be killing Gas.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:19 pm

I hope Gas gets nuked as soon as possible.
It's the best thing that could happen for the story finally moving forward.
I rather have Elec getting some powerup and the endgame. Somehow predictable, but way better than what we have now.

What worries me this won't happen anytime soon is this Bardock - Gas - connection.
This might be something they only reveal in the final chapters. This could be a reason to keep him in the fight longer, aiming at a final battle MUI Goku - Gas, which is not needed, because he's such a dull character that doesn't add anything.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:58 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:19 pm I hope Gas gets nuked as soon as possible.
I rather have Elec getting some powerup and the endgame. Somehow predictable, but way better than what we have now.

What worries me this won't happen anytime soon is this Bardock - Gas - connection.
This might be something they only reveal in the final chapters. This could be a reason to keep him in the fight longer, aiming at a final battle MUI Goku - Gas, which is not needed, because he's such a dull character that doesn't add anything.
Pretty sure these are the final chapters. Elec won't get a powerup, all his plans rely on Gas.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:35 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:58 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:19 pm I hope Gas gets nuked as soon as possible.

Pretty sure these are the final chapters. Elec won't get a powerup, all his plans rely on Gas.

Unless ... Gas would turn against Elec and Elec had calculated this, that would somehow make sense because at the end of the day 'why would a powerhungry figure like Elec put his full trust in another Heater that is way more powerful than himself, or on the other hand why would Gas keep listening to Elec, once he realizes his true potential?' Therefore Elec, tactician as he is, could have made up some alternate scheme in advance to guarantee him the status of most powerful being of the universe. Let's just hope, if that's the scenario, it's not through another wish tough. At the end of the day, no matter how you turn in, power is everything in DB if you want to rule someone else.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:57 pm

If Goku needed to kill Monaito, but couldn't do it, Vegeta would do it. That scene would be three, four panels tops.

And while Goku wishing to be the strongest would be interesting, I would hate it unless it was temporary, I guess. Make the wishes be cancelled when Monaito dies, make Goku strong, win fight, kill Monaito.

Meh.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:12 pm

ZodiacBeast wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:57 pm If Goku needed to kill Monaito, but couldn't do it, Vegeta would do it. That scene would be three, four panels tops.

And while Goku wishing to be the strongest would be interesting, I would hate it unless it was temporary, I guess. Make the wishes be cancelled when Monaito dies, make Goku strong, win fight, kill Monaito.

Meh.
What would killing Monaito do? Sure the dragon balls would be no more. But Gas and Granolah already had their wishes made. As far as I’ve been reading the wishes don’t get cancelled even if Monaito passes.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:51 pm

Why is nobody talking about Oatmeel?
Do you think he'll somehow bring OG-73 back into play?
Will he hijack his body to help out Granolah?

I remember Toyotaro in his recent interviews, promised that Oatmeel will be more than just Granolah's AI assistant.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:40 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:51 pm Why is nobody talking about Oatmeel?

I remember Toyotaro in his recent interviews, promised that Oatmeel will be more than just Granolah's AI assistant.
How is he gonna hijack 73 body? Is 73 even on the planet they are all fighting on?

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:03 pm

Short drafts this month, which has typically meant that something big will happen early on.

Herms confirmed that the sound effect when Gas kicks Granolah is "snap", so he should be out of commission. Not sure if Monaito can heal that sort of injury, especially at this point.

Looking forward to seeing what Goku's dilemma is. I'm assuming it'll be Bardock related, which I'm up for.
ZodiacBeast wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:57 pm If Goku needed to kill Monaito, but couldn't do it, Vegeta would do it. That scene would be three, four panels tops.

I don't think Vegeta would have such an easy time killing Monaito. As for a wish to make Goku the strongest, I don't see that happening, but who knows? We already know that "the strongest" is only determined by a moment in time, so while I wouldn't expect any wish to be undone by Monatio's death, it's inherently "temporary" in that sense.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:16 am

When I said "make the wishes be cancelled when Monaito dies", I didn't mean that such a thing had already been stated. I meant that introducing such a thing into the story would be a way for Goku to lose his position as "the strongest in the universe" after making a wish.

I don't really think Goku would make the wish anyways.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:19 am

Everybody's talking about Goku, but Granolah having an actual dialogue with Elec (however preliminary at the moment) is something we should've had since the 78th chapter. Hopefully there's more of that and less filler.

Maybe we're finally getting back on track, though I'm not optimistic given the past two months.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:23 am

ZodiacBeast wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:16 am When I said "make the wishes be cancelled when Monaito dies", I didn't mean that such a thing had already been stated. I meant that introducing such a thing into the story would be a way for Goku to lose his position as "the strongest in the universe" after making a wish.

I don't really think Goku would make the wish anyways.
A lot of this Goku is going to make a wish to become the strongest. It would be very funny to see people reactions to that.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:25 am

batistabus wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:03 pm I don't think Vegeta would have such an easy time killing Monaito. As for a wish to make Goku the strongest, I don't see that happening, but who knows? We already know that "the strongest" is only determined by a moment in time, so while I wouldn't expect any wish to be undone by Monatio's death, it's inherently "temporary" in that sense.
You say that than the DB official confirmed last year that Granolah awakening his left eye is what made him the strongest in the universe. Basically explains things about that wish he made similar to Gas with his form.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:35 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:19 am Everybody's talking about Goku, but Granolah having an actual dialogue with Elec (however preliminary at the moment) is something we should've had since the 78th chapter. Hopefully there's more of that and less filler.

Maybe we're finally getting back on track, though I'm not optimistic given the past two months.
I just remembered that Gas teleporting Elec away is the same as what Whis does. Is it just me going crazy but is this implying Gas and Whis might be?

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:46 am

I don't understand what sort of dilemma would Goku even have about Bardock anyways, he never even knew the guy and really doesn't care about him from the looks of things. The only dilemma he could have in this story that makes sense is if he was told that the only way to stop gas would be if he wished for himself to be the strongest, a couple of other users here talked about this. If this is the way its gonna go then he'll probably become the fabled strongest in the universe for a short amount of time and after the story ends all the wishes are reversed, we might even get a glimpse at some stupid form like SSJMUI or something. Nevertheless, this chapter is looking more interesting than the previous ones so yay that's something at least.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:56 am

OrangeBanana wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:46 am I don't understand what sort of dilemma would Goku even have about Bardock anyways, he never even knew the guy and really doesn't care about him from the looks of things. The only dilemma he could have in this story that makes sense is if he was told that the only way to stop gas would be if he wished for himself to be the strongest, a couple of other users here talked about this. If this is the way its gonna go then he'll probably become the fabled strongest in the universe for a short amount of time and after the story ends all the wishes are reversed, we might even get a glimpse at some stupid form like SSJMUI or something. Nevertheless, this chapter is looking more interesting than the previous ones so yay that's something at least.
That makes the most sense, considering the themes that Super is playing with. But I don't believe that Goku would actually make that wish himself. Goku and Vegeta are absolutely the kind of guys who would rather die than stoop to using the dragonballs for more power. Now if he were somehow forced into that situation...maybe.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:08 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:51 pm Why is nobody talking about Oatmeel?

I want Goku to put Oatmeel on his eye just like Bardock had a scouter. IIRC it's currently off Granolah's face again so there is an opportunity for that :thumbup:

Maybe the conflict could even be about that?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:17 pm

We still don't even know what Oatmeel is, or where did he come from. I completely forgot about him.

As of now, things that should be expanded upon are:

- Oatmeel.
- Bardock vs Gas.
- Elecc's plan.
- The 10 questions they asked Zuno.
- The Cerelian DBs.

In this chapter, maybe we'll get one of them, perhaps Bardock and Gas' fight revealed.

Nistarkail
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nistarkail » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:02 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:17 pm We still don't even know what Oatmeel is, or where did he come from. I completely forgot about him.

As of now, things that should be expanded upon are:

- Oatmeel.
- Bardock vs Gas.
- Elecc's plan.
- The 10 questions they asked Zuno.
- The Cerelian DBs.

In this chapter, maybe we'll get one of them, perhaps Bardock and Gas' fight revealed.
I admit that Elec is becoming slowly really interesting. We don't know much about him, and intel for him is the most important thing around. What I'm afraid of is the intel got from Zuno. Because they are 10 questions, surely most of them are related to:

- Dragon Ball
- OG-73 and technology
- Immortality
- How things are now in the Universe
- Effects of Toronbo's wishes
- Weaknesses of Saiyans

But without shadow of doubt we will be surprised about what's the content of each question.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:01 pm

I’m wondering if there’s gonna be another cliffhanger again