Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:56 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:48 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:33 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:20 am

People are allowed to talk about problems with TOEI, y'know. Besides, most people here are older and more jaded than the average YT/Twitter DB fan.
How can anyone praise the animation? The 3D is the reason I won't spend a dime on this movie. It'll be the first Dragon Ball movie I won't buy.
I believe we already had a conversation about the animation and came to the conclusion that it was a matter of taste...
Yes and no. When you look at stuff like Arcane how can anyone praise the animation of Dragon Ball Super Super Hero?

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:59 pm

Goten and Trunks finally look older, that's nice. I don't care about the timeline, ages and stuff, especially because the whole thing is kinda messed up (the Daizenshuu is essentially wrong and Toriyama is retconning things since BoG), but is still nice to see these two like this.

What really surprise me is Trunks with blue hair. I didn't think they would make that change with him.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:21 pm

Goten and Trunks' growth spurt is the main takeaway from the event? I'd like to say I'm surprised given the apparent lack of interest in others such as Krillin looking their chronological part -- his hair is supposed to turn grey with additional wrinkles showing on his face -- but then I realise even the kids are more popular than someone like Krillin.

What are the odds of long term substantive development forming out of this movie? I'm not holding my breath personally. Toriyama has his process and I can't see them wanting to upset the status quo too much. Goten and Trunks being aged up might already qualify as a bold move on his part.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:45 pm

Lionel wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:21 pm Goten and Trunks' growth spurt is the main takeaway from the event? I'd like to say I'm surprised given the apparent lack of interest in others such as Krillin looking their chronological part -- his hair is supposed to turn grey with additional wrinkles showing on his face -- but then I realise even the kids are more popular than someone like Krillin.

What are the odds of long term substantive development forming out of this movie? I'm not holding my breath personally. Toriyama has his process and I can't see them wanting to upset the status quo too much. Goten and Trunks being aged up might already qualify as a bold move on his part.
Krillin's EoZ design was ass so I'm glad they didn't do it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:26 pm

My boy Goten finally grew up, I'm so excited!

Though I agree, the marketing for this movie has been extremely poor.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:13 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:26 pm My boy Goten finally grew up, I'm so excited!

Of course Goten grew its natural I never understand why some fans care about that?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:27 pm

KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:13 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:26 pm My boy Goten finally grew up, I'm so excited!

Of course Goten grew its natural I never understand why some fans care about that?
Obviously it's natural, but after looking like a kid since 2013 I was honestly expecting they'd never go back to anything close to the End of Z designs.

There was no point in keeping him tiny. Dragon Ball in its original run always changed the appearance of the characters (Gohanmost notably) to realistically show the passage of time. DBS however put the ages in limbo for almost eight years in universe, which just reeked of laziness. Goten at 14 looked as young as he did at 7. Meanwhile Trunks looked just as young, but we saw Future Trunks at the same age at a normal height/appearance for his age.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:18 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:27 pm
KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:13 pm

Obviously it's natural, but after looking like a kid since 2013 I was honestly expecting they'd never go back to anything close to the End of Z designs.

There was no point in keeping him tiny. Dragon Ball in its original run always changed the appearance of the characters (Gohanmost notably) to realistically show the passage of time. DBS however put the ages in limbo for almost eight years in universe, which just reeked of laziness. Goten at 14 looked as young as he did at 7. Meanwhile Trunks looked just as young, but we saw Future Trunks at the same age at a normal height/appearance for his age.
You realize they’re saiyans right? Sure they’re half human but it’s natural that they would still look young. Unless you’re going to not go on a rant that Bulmas parents don’t look their age especially the mom. As I'm still reading the Granolah arc and this ridiculous 40years thing I wonder if the timeline here is off?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:24 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:45 pm
Lionel wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:21 pm Goten and Trunks' growth spurt is the main takeaway from the event? I'd like to say I'm surprised given the apparent lack of interest in others such as Krillin looking their chronological part -- his hair is supposed to turn grey with additional wrinkles showing on his face -- but then I realise even the kids are more popular than someone like Krillin.

Krillin's EoZ design was ass so I'm glad they didn't do it.
Couldn't they work something with his older aesthetics? Krillin from Multiverse (fan comic but still) looks capable and stylish yet he's old. Tenshinhan, Yamcha, and Chaozu don't appear to have shown their age too much besides some more noticeable laugh lines.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:02 pm

You know with how little they've revealed about the movie, maybe it's just so story based or something that they feel that if they reveal much more they'll spoil it... but probably not :lol:

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:59 pm

KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:18 pmYou realize they’re saiyans right? Sure they’re half human but it’s natural that they would still look young. Unless you’re going to not go on a rant that Bulmas parents don’t look their age especially the mom. As I'm still reading the Granolah arc and this ridiculous 40years thing I wonder if the timeline here is off?
You realise Gohan steadily aged throughout the Z-portion of the manga right?

You realise Future Trunks looked like a young teenager in The History of Trunks right?

This is especially jarring since that special took place in the same year that the Tournament of Power took place and despite Future Trunks and Present Trunks being the same person Present Trunks still looked like a child.

God it's one thing to defend blatant laziness and continuity issues, but it's another to act so condescending about it.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:21 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:59 pm
KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:18 pmYou realize they’re saiyans right? Sure they’re half human but it’s natural that they would still look young. Unless you’re going to not go on a rant that Bulmas parents don’t look their age especially the mom. As I'm still reading the Granolah arc and this ridiculous 40years thing I wonder if the timeline here is off?
You realise Gohan steadily aged throughout the Z-portion of the manga right?

You realise Future Trunks looked like a young teenager in The History of Trunks right?

This is especially jarring since that special took place in the same year that the Tournament of Power took place and despite Future Trunks and Present Trunks being the same person Present Trunks still looked like a child.

God it's one thing to defend blatant laziness and continuity issues, but it's another to act so condescending about it.
Gohan spent time in the ROSAT so I could hardly call that aging steadily. And Toriyama confirms that spending time in there would make someone sprout. And even than he was still small when he wasn’t fighting.

You realize that Trunks is a teenager not looks like a teenager? Besides they’re from parallel timelines so not exactly the same.

I wasn’t acting condescending just letting you know they’re half Saiyans not humans. Goku still looks young Vegeta does as well they will never look like their spouses ages.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:59 pm

KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:16 am
Soba Mask wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:53 am Goten and Trunks aged.!!!! Yeaaaah.
Lol why can’t anyone not want Launch to come back WHYYY
KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:13 pmOf course Goten grew its natural I never understand why some fans care about that?
Maybe you would understand if you stop and ask those fans why they care, instead of just randomly popping up here to say "why fans don't ask for Lunch".

Speaking of which, you seem to care for Lunch and want others to do the same but seem bothered by people caring about Goten and Trunks getting older? :crazy:

Anyway, aging up is part of Dragon Ball. Always has been, always will be. Dragon Ball is not Pokémon. The characters from Dragon Ball do not suffer from Ash Ketchum/Peter Pan's syndrome (thank Dende). They age up as time goes by (as it must be). So it's only natural that people would care and ask for characters to age up. It's not a weird thing, it's not uncommon, it's the most natural thing out of this situation, for the characters to age up as time goes by. Because believe or not, time is going by, whether you can notice it or not (and I speak from an in and out-universe).
KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:18 pmYou realize they’re saiyans right? Sure they’re half human but it’s natural that they would still look young.
You may have a point for Goten, as the series never established his growth beforehand. But not Trunks, we do see beforehand what a fourteen-year-old Trunks looks like and that is precisely how present Trunks should look like by the time we reach Universe Survival saga (I would argue he should've been looking older since at least Universe 6 saga, but I digress), which takes place in AGE 780, the very same year Trunks TV Special does, as it was already stated to you.
KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:18 pmAs I'm still reading the Granolah arc and this ridiculous 40years thing I wonder if the timeline here is off?
The "40 years ago" claim from Granola saga is only off by a few years, it should be "44 years ago" (or "45 years ago" if you place Goku's birth year in AGE 736). So I don't know what's your point or what does this have anything to do with anything here.
KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:21 pmBesides they’re from parallel timelines so not exactly the same
Unless them being from parallel timelines means they have different parents, they are exactly the same from a biological point of view.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:38 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:59 pm
KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:16 am
Soba Mask wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:53 am Goten and Trunks aged.!!!! Yeaaaah.
Lol why can’t anyone not want Launch to come back WHYYY
KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:13 pmOf course Goten grew its natural I never understand why some fans care about that?
Maybe you would understand if you stop and ask those fans why they care, instead of just randomly popping up here to say "why fans don't ask for Lunch".

Speaking of which, you seem to care for Lunch and want others to do the same but seem bothered by people caring about Goten and Trunks getting older? :crazy:

Anyway, aging up is part of Dragon Ball. Always has been, always will be. Dragon Ball is not Pokémon. The characters from Dragon Ball do not suffer from Ash Ketchum/Peter Pan's syndrome (thank Dende). They age up as time goes by (as it must be). So it's only natural that people would care and ask for characters to age up. It's not a weird thing, it's not uncommon, it's the most natural thing out of this situation, for the characters to age up as time goes by. Because believe or not, time is going by, whether you can notice it or not (and I speak from an in and out-universe).
KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:18 pmYou realize they’re saiyans right? Sure they’re half human but it’s natural that they would still look young.
You may have a point for Goten, as the series never established his growth beforehand. But not Trunks, we do see beforehand what a fourteen-year-old Trunks looks like and that is precisely how present Trunks should look like by the time we reach Universe Survival saga (I would argue he should've been looking older since at least Universe 6 saga, but I digress), which takes place in AGE 780, the very same year Trunks TV Special does, as it was already stated to you.
KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:18 pmAs I'm still reading the Granolah arc and this ridiculous 40years thing I wonder if the timeline here is off?
The "40 years ago" claim from Granola saga is only off by a few years, it should be "44 years ago" (or "45 years ago" if you place Goku's birth year in AGE 736). So I don't know what's your point or what does this have anything to do with anything here.
KentMan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:21 pmBesides they’re from parallel timelines so not exactly the same
Unless them being from parallel timelines means they have different parents, they are exactly the same from a biological point of view.
Ok don’t know why you’re getting angry? I only ask for Launch cause I wish she would come back and I’m joking about that some people don’t care. I’m not bothered about why people care about Goten and Trunks growing up. I’m just weirded out because everyone is obsessed with something that was obviously gonna happen.

You keep forgetting that trunks and future Trunks are different they didn’t get the Super Saiyan forms at the same age. You keep insisting that Toriyama should draw these characters the same. Well that’s up to him and apparently he doesn’t see it the same as us. I will always nag that Toyotaro draws Goku fat in the face but what can I do?

The point about the 40 years thing is a red herring Gokus original birth was 737. By the time he met Bulma he was 11 not 12. So by calculating all that the Granolah arc is taking place before 780 which makes no sense.

I think I already covered that their timelines don’t match up with one another and that cause issues. So I think I’m gonna leave it as it is.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:23 pm

I feel like the fanbase just gets more picky and grumpy over the years. If new content isn't exclusively rehashing 30-year-old plotlines (if I see Coola brought up one more damn time... yeah, forget new original plots, let's just check boxes on rehashing non-canon plots into canon) and 99% mindless Broly-style action, or otherwise oddly specific demands about the direction the series ought to go in, so many people just get upset over the most minute details.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:10 am

Also this maybe the first time we see an older gotanks and what do people think of a secret character in this movie?

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:29 am

Toxin45 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:10 am Also this maybe the first time we see an older gotanks and what do people think of a secret character in this movie?
hype if true. gotenks is hilarious and... maybe the only interesting fusion character, to me.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:24 am

I find it dumb that people don't want to watch the movie for having a different animation art style. It's never good to judge a book by its cover.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:47 am

Thanos wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:23 pm I feel like the fanbase just gets more picky and grumpy over the years. If new content isn't exclusively rehashing 30-year-old plotlines (if I see Coola brought up one more damn time... yeah, forget new original plots, let's just check boxes on rehashing non-canon plots into canon) and 99% mindless Broly-style action, or otherwise oddly specific demands about the direction the series ought to go in, so many people just get upset over the most minute details.
After 24 years in fandom I have decided that I don't care about originality. I care about passionate creators being given the time and resources to create the art they want to. If that means Coola the cool, I have a few ideas I'd love to put to film, too.

Yeah, obviously under capitalism the use of re-contextualizing successful old concepts will always exist. That didn't stop Nagamine and friends from making an incredible film bursting with their humanity and a sense of catharsis after the troubled production of the TV series.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:28 am

Thanos wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:23 pm I feel like the fanbase just gets more picky and grumpy over the years. If new content isn't exclusively rehashing 30-year-old plotlines (if I see Coola brought up one more damn time... yeah, forget new original plots, let's just check boxes on rehashing non-canon plots into canon) and 99% mindless Broly-style action, or otherwise oddly specific demands about the direction the series ought to go in, so many people just get upset over the most minute details.
But... this movie is not original following this logic?

We've already had 2 arcs and 1 movie about the Red Ribbon Army, RRA is as original as Cooler. Maybe even less, since Cooler had less overall screentime than the RRA (he only had 2 movies).