Toyotaro must stop copying kishimoto

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Toyotaro must stop copying kishimoto

Post by Cipher » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:54 am

1) I don’t think any influences are overly obvious. They seem to amount to one (1) character using “weapons” (which is just a general martial arts thing I was actually happy to see DBS dip its toes into), the giant ki construct, which is also pretty generic, and three total flashbacks, between Trunks’ fight with Dabra, Moro’s backstory, and the events on Cereal. Only one is even framed as a flashback.

2) It’s true that Toriyama essentially never used the latter (though the DB anime adaptations sure did), but I also think it’s reasonable that DBS reflect Toyotaro’s inclinations as someone who may also have read those series, decades down the line from the original DB. Action-wise, you can certainly do a lot worse than Kishimoto influence, for however much it may or may not be in there.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:09 am

KentMan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:53 am
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:27 pm
Dragon Wukong wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:46 pm

Ah yes, I forgot Granolah was Goku's best friend. I had completely forgotten all the time Granolah and Goku spent together prior to this arc. I also forgot how Granolah was betrayed by his brother, Flakes, who helped kill all the Cerealians.

The red eye that can see well isn't particularly unique (because it's in a lot of stuff), but equating him to Sasuke just because he went through a genocide is pushing it. They're much more different than similar. And whereas Sasuke's whole character arc is one of descension until the very end, Granolah's is very much the opposite.
it was manipulated to go against the protagonist and good characters...basically like sasuke against naruto or itachi

a but if apart from red eyes, you add shadow clones, ninja attacks and FB use that occupy entire chapters ... you literally can't deny it
Yeah but as I said earlier Kishimoto did not invent those. They had clones before in the original dragon ball. They did have ninja attacks I found anyone remember ninja Murasaki. And even before that it’s part of Japan’s history with real shinobi and Samurai.
Murasaki is a fake ninja who had no powers... at the end of the day... my point is that it's not just 1 of those things but mixing all of that in this saga that makes the reference obvious to naruto and not DB

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:19 am

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:09 am
KentMan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:53 am
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:27 pm

it was manipulated to go against the protagonist and good characters...basically like sasuke against naruto or itachi

a but if apart from red eyes, you add shadow clones, ninja attacks and FB use that occupy entire chapters ... you literally can't deny it
Yeah but as I said earlier Kishimoto did not invent those. They had clones before in the original dragon ball. They did have ninja attacks I found anyone remember ninja Murasaki. And even before that it’s part of Japan’s history with real shinobi and Samurai.
Murasaki is a fake ninja who had no powers... at the end of the day... my point is that it's not just 1 of those things but mixing all of that in this saga that makes the reference obvious to naruto and not DB
He's a real ninja because real ninja don't have powers.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:05 pm

• Stories of revenge being carried out by the last surviving member of a clan aren't new and have been around long before Naruto existed
  • Gas isn't using actual ninja weapons.
  • Bardock is extremely popular and they are expanding on the lore around him in this arc. If you don't like him, oh well I guess? Wait for the next story arc?🤷‍♂️

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:02 pm

Yes, because stories containing lonely avengers, magical eyes, gigantic energy avatars and weapons are exclusive to Naruto, right?

I mean, DBS was influenced by modern Shounen, I guess? This is not some breaking news

About the flashbacks, actually Naruto got this stigma more because of the anime (with the endless fillers), even tho the manga also have a decent amount of flashbacks (but the same can be said about other series anyway). Even then, it's not like the DBS manga is abusing them.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:37 pm

The alternative to cartoon-original arcs was one-chapter an episode and zero time to plan the production schedule. Cartoon-original arcs (few as their are) definitely came in handy and had some really good entries to the franchise.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:14 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:02 pm Yes, because stories containing lonely avengers, magical eyes, gigantic energy avatars and weapons are exclusive to Naruto, right?

I mean, DBS was influenced by modern Shounen, I guess? This is not some breaking news

About the flashbacks, actually Naruto got this stigma more because of the anime (with the endless fillers), even tho the manga also have a decent amount of flashbacks (but the same can be said about other series anyway). Even then, it's not like the DBS manga is abusing them.
If you put all that together, yes... I would suggest that you read what you write...

It wouldn't be anything if it was just a reference... now it's cheeky

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:52 am

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:14 am If you put all that together, yes... I would suggest that you read what you write...

You can find all of that in DC or Marvel comics though.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:56 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:52 am
Tai Lung wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:14 am If you put all that together, yes... I would suggest that you read what you write...

Superman holding a car Spider man holding a car anyone who knows what I mean?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:11 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:14 am
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:02 pmYes, because stories containing lonely avengers, magical eyes, gigantic energy avatars and weapons are exclusive to Naruto, right?
If you put all that together, yes... I would suggest that you read what you write...
Lonely avenger = Zuko.

Magical eyes = Combustion Man and P'Li.

Gigantic Energy Avatars = Korra.

Weapons = Literally any and all franchise.

Guess benders are ninjas too! :)
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:04 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:11 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:14 am
Lonely avenger = Zuko.

Magical eyes = Combustion Man and P'Li.

Gigantic Energy Avatars = Korra.

Weapons = Literally any and all franchise.

Guess benders are ninjas too! :)
kunais? come on show aang using a kunai as gas
avenger of his race + red eyes = sasuke
The giant energy thing would be irrelevant if it weren't for the fact that there are already other references
Dragon Wukong wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:52 am

Of the comics I've read... no

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:58 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:04 pm
Dragon Wukong wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:52 am You can find all of that in DC or Marvel comics though.
Ghost Rider has pretty much all four of those things, either through Ghost Rider himself or one of the villains, I'm pretty dang sure. Stop being a hater, man.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:20 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:58 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:04 pm
Dragon Wukong wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:52 am You can find all of that in DC or Marvel comics though.
Ghost Rider has pretty much all four of those things, either through Ghost Rider himself or one of the villains, I'm pretty dang sure. Stop being a hater, man.
ghost rider belongs to a race of warriors which is extinct and want to avenge? no ..
ghost raider have red eyes? no.. his look of penance has a completely different function
ghost raider uses ninja weapons not ..

I would tell you to stop being a fanboy in any case ... because you are simply not giving coherent arguments

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:17 am

Tai Lung wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:20 pm ghost rider belongs to a race of warriors which is extinct and want to avenge? no ..
ghost raider have red eyes? no.. his look of penance has a completely different function

I would tell you to stop being a fanboy in any case ... because you are simply not giving coherent arguments
Ghost Rider's whole schtick is exacting vengeance on criminals, he has magical eyes, can materialize weapons, and his antagonists have made use of energy avatars not unlike what Goku did before.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:35 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:17 am
Tai Lung wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:20 pm ghost rider belongs to a race of warriors which is extinct and want to avenge? no ..

Ghost Rider's whole schtick is exacting vengeance on criminals, he has magical eyes, can materialize weapons, and his antagonists have made use of energy avatars not unlike what Goku did before.
with the difference that ghost rider is an older character than naruto... and again there are no ninja weapons or revenge of his clan

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:51 pm

Why couldn’t it be Toyotaro please stop drawing Base Goku fat and making his neck too big
I said please instead of must no offense

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:45 am

You must not read Boruto they literally have the Android saga 2.0 going on right now with many of their fans calling it out. the two nearly unstoppable androids Eida and her brother aka 18 & 17, the character Amado playing the Dr Gero role all they need now is a Cell :D

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:59 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:45 am You must not read Boruto they literally have the Android saga 2.0 going on right now with many of their fans calling it out. the two nearly unstoppable androids Eida and her brother aka 18 & 17, the character Amado playing the Dr Gero role all they need now is a Cell :D
I don't even mention that because he has been doing it since shippuden ..

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:14 am

Kishimoto didn't come up with any of that. There's been plenty of "avenger of my race/clan" characters in manga and anime before Sasuke Uchiha appeared. Kurapika from HxH comes to mind, but there's much more.

Hell, even Dragon Ball did it before Kishimoto, with characters like Baby and Hatchiyak/Dr. Raichi.
As for ninja techniques, did Gas use any shurikens (or rasenshurikens for that matter) in his latest fights?

Also, even if Toyotaro did "copy" anything, since pretty much all modern battle shounen are influenced by Dragon Ball, I don't see the problem with Toriyama's succesor doing the same with a couple ideas he likes from these modern series.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:47 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:14 am Kishimoto didn't come up with any of that. There's been plenty of "avenger of my race/clan" characters in manga and anime before Sasuke Uchiha appeared. Kurapika from HxH comes to mind, but there's much more.

Hell, even Dragon Ball did it before Kishimoto, with characters like Baby and Hatchiyak/Dr. Raichi.
As for ninja techniques, did Gas use any shurikens (or rasenshurikens for that matter) in his latest fights?

Also, even if Toyotaro did "copy" anything, since pretty much all modern battle shounen are influenced by Dragon Ball, I don't see the problem with Toriyama's succesor doing the same with a couple ideas he likes from these modern series.
however it's not just that...granolah is being manipulated to go against the "good guys" + uses clones

It's embarrassing... naruto eww... also the battles don't feel like dragon ball at all and most importantly it's absurd... characters destroy galaxies and now using ninja weapons