Straw Hats on DB

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Straw Hats on DB

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:31 pm

Being a fan of DB and One Piece, as the title says, have all the Straw Hat Pirates' voice actors appeared in DB? I know that some have on both sides of the Pacific, but don't know if the entire pre-timeskip crew have. (Going with pre-timeskip as I am behind on the OP anime, and don't know if the newest member has made it officially in the anime yet in Japan). Didn't watch much of Super so don't know on that front at all, so thinking maybe the ones who weren't in DB, Z, GT or Kai might've shown up there. So anyone know?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Straw Hats on DB

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:40 pm

From the Japanese cast:

Luffy (Mayumi Tanaka) - Kuririn/Yajirobe/Uranai Baba
Zoro (Kazuya Nakai) - Tagoma
Usopp (Kappei Yamaguchi) - Fu
Robin (Yuriko Yamaguchi) - Vados

Bonus: Masako Nozawa (Son Goku, Son Gohan, Son Goten) as Dr. Kureha and Toshio Furukawa (Piccolo, General Blue) as Ace. There are a few more big DB cast pulls, but the ones I'm thinking of are post-timeskip.

More than half of the Straw Hats have not had a role in DB.

From the English dub cast:

Luffy (Colleen Clinkenbeard) - Kid Goku, Kid Gohan, Mai, Zangya, one of Princess Snake's attendants
Zoro (Chris Sabat) - Vegeta, Piccolo, Yamcha, and too many others to list
Nami (Luci Christian) - Yurin
Usopp (Sonny Strait) - Krillin, General Blue
Sanji (Eric Vale) - Trunks, World Martial Arts Tournament Announcer
Chopper (Brina Palencia) - Chiaotzu, Puar, Arale
Robin (Stephanie Young) - Towa
Franky (Patrick Seitz) - Jiren
Brook (Ian Sinclair) - Whis

Bonus: Sean Schemmel is among the few actors to have roles in both US English dubs of One Piece, being Helmeppo in the 4Kids dub and Dr. Indigo in the Funimation dub of Strong World.

As you can see, every English dub Straw Hat from before the timeskip has had at least one role in DB, some multiple, and generally a lot more substantive than the Japanese Straw Hat cast members who also voiced in DB.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:34 am

That's Uranai Baba #2, just to be clear. :sick:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:06 am

The two share a bunch of other cast members, as well.

Jōji Yanami (Narrator/Kaio) played Mayor Boodle in the Buggy arc
Daisuke Gōri (Mr Satan) played Jinbei originally, but only recorded two episodes before his death
Tōru Furuya (Yamucha) has a major role after the time skip

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:14 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:06 am Jōji Yanami (Narrator/Kaio) played Mayor Boodle in the Buggy arc
Joji also played Gan Fall the Sky Knight
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:57 am

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:34 am
Correct. I just thought that if I specified that, though, I'd need to specify that Clinkenbeard is the fourth English Kid Gohan, like the seventh English Kid Goku, and do the same for all the other in-house dub actors, then it gets all cluttered...

Speaking of which, I forgot to put Android #18 for Clinkenbeard. D'oh!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:34 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:40 pm Sean Schemmel is among the few actors to have roles in both US English dubs of One Piece, being Helmeppo in the 4Kids dub and Dr. Indigo in the Funimation dub of Strong World.
Scott McNeil (original Funimation voice of Piccolo, as well as fat Boo in the Westwood Media dub) also played Shiki in that movie, as well as one episode of the series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:53 pm

I find it weird how they spent Zoro's badass voice on friggin Tagoma of all characters. At least he got a bit better role in the anime instead of dying right away like in RoF, but yeah...

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:31 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:53 pm I find it weird how they spent Zoro's badass voice on friggin Tagoma of all characters. At least he got a bit better role in the anime instead of dying right away like in RoF, but yeah...
The fact that irrelevant purple pimple Ginyu-surrogate had Zoro's voice is maddening. Why couldn't it be for a ToP character or something?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:03 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:57 am
MyVisionity wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:34 am
Correct. I just thought that if I specified that, though, I'd need to specify that Clinkenbeard is the fourth English Kid Gohan, like the seventh English Kid Goku, and do the same for all the other in-house dub actors, then it gets all cluttered...

Speaking of which, I forgot to put Android #18 for Clinkenbeard. D'oh!
Because I saw her first before seeing the Baba Saga in Japanese, I think of her for Baba more than the man who played her then. BTW, thanks for the info. Knew on most of the English cast, but didn't know if Robin, Nami and Franky were. And only knew of Ms. Tanaka in Japan. Will say Robin was how I first knew of Stephanie Young and thus, the only one I knew of for one Piece first, sans new person who I'm not spoiling here. Knew Sanji, Zoro and Usopp for DB roles first, while Nami for Azumanga Daioh and FMA, and Chopper for Shin Chan. And by the time Franky and Brook showed up, knew them for several things first.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:50 pm

I believe Ryuusei Nakao played "Whirlwind Eric" (I believe that is his name) in one of the early filler arcs

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:59 pm

Tanaka's Baba is terrible and shouldn't be associated with the character at all in my mind. Junpei Takiguchi was it.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:38 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:59 pm Tanaka's Baba is terrible and shouldn't be associated with the character at all in my mind. Junpei Takiguchi was it.
Yes, as Tanaka's take is literally just her Yajirobe voice. It sounds almost 100% identical and i definitely think Takiguchi was the better voice of Baba. They should've gotten someone on the cast other than Tanaka to do the character once the former stopped voicing her.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)