Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KentMan
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by KentMan » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:24 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:53 am
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:48 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:36 pm

The controversy surrounding this movie reminds me heavily of the Last Jedi and man was that a divisive movie.
The reactions to this film so far is in no way shape or form close to the severity of the Last Jedi's reception
Just for loud fans. Last Jedi actually has a pretty good reviews and ratings outside of the vocal fanbase and youtubers with “movie disaster” videos.
The Rise Of Skywalker actually is the bad one.
It should have just been six films and that’s it Revenge Of The Sith was the last of the real Star Wars movies. I’m proud that a lot of fans loyal to George Lucas and his Star Wars have been sticking up for him since these sequels came out.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:27 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:36 pm

The controversy surrounding this movie reminds me heavily of the Last Jedi and man was that a divisive movie.
The reactions to this film so far is in no way shape or form close to the severity of the Last Jedi's reception
Just for loud fans. Last Jedi actually has a pretty good reviews and ratings outside of the vocal fanbase and youtubers with “movie disaster” videos.
Ah, thanks for the correction. But still, as someone who merely views the Star Wars fandom from the peripheries, I don't think the DB fandom is in a meltdown like they did with the sequels.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:36 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:27 am

Ah, thanks for the correction. But still, as someone who merely views the Star Wars fandom from the peripheries, I don't think the DB fandom is in a meltdown like they did with the sequels.
I must say that Star Wars fandom is a sweet one actually. I am Being part of Cantina forums and other boards and this divisive and angry community are mostly angry people on social sites like FB, twitter or Facebook where you have bigger anonymity, but all the discussions among SW fans are civilized and angry peoole are in minority. Most fans will tell you, that they are hapoy about the time they live in, as we have more than six movies now, with comic books and countless TV shows that we get.
Sure, it’s not like every show is perfect and some things are hit or miss, and myself, I love the Last Jedi and not a big fan of TROS, which really bombed by reviews from critics and dans and TLJ and Rian Johnson get undeserved hate, so it’s not entirely only my bias. Book Of Boba Fett was quite underwhelming after it was so overhyped by Rodriguez and co. but I was still happy to get new SW content in the bigger canon universe.

Same with DB. I have some strong opinions on the current manga, but happy that we are not living in the DBAF and crazy rumours without official content and actually, I am really hyped for this movie (Goten and Trunks designs for the win!!!) even tho I am bit irked by the new 3D approach just because I grew up on 2D 80s and 90s shows that have their celluloid charm… it might actually turn out better looking, as the first Z/Super movies before Broly and the Super series look quite crappy :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:23 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:04 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:04 pm
Xeogran wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:10 pm

Please, this comparison makes no sense. People constantly talk about GT. Over and over again, despite how short it was. Evolution will never get the 1/1000th of discussion or relevance that GT does.

That’s only because of how bad Super is that GT started getting looked in a more favorable light. He’s right that this movie will be looked at similar to evolution when (not IF, when) it bombs at theaters. Only difference will be casual audiences forgot evolution. Super Hero will be the killshot that a lot of older fans have been waiting on that will put the franchise back in the grave permanently because no one will forget how awful it was.
When did people forget about evolution? I'm i on the wrong planet? When BOG came out some people said it was worst then evolution,
Yeah, I’m pretty sure nobody said that.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:34 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:54 amIf it flops, it will be just another GT/Evolution, something that people don't want to talk about, but didn't really ruin the franchise...
I assume there's still a big enough Japanese audience for GT since it still gets new merchandise and its characters appear in video games. Evolution is probably seen as like the majority of live action Hollywood films based on manga or anime. There weren't that many decent ones so expectations were pretty low to begin with. The only similarity to Super Hero is that CGI anime films don't seem to have high expectations either since only two have grossed more than the average anime film. If it reaches around $40 million to make it to the top 50, it would be below BoG and RoF but still the highest grossing CGI anime film.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:35 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:23 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:04 pm

That’s only because of how bad Super is that GT started getting looked in a more favorable light. He’s right that this movie will be looked at similar to evolution when (not IF, when) it bombs at theaters. Only difference will be casual audiences forgot evolution. Super Hero will be the killshot that a lot of older fans have been waiting on that will put the franchise back in the grave permanently because no one will forget how awful it was.
When did people forget about evolution? I'm i on the wrong planet? When BOG came out some people said it was worst then evolution,
Yeah, I’m pretty sure nobody said that.
Were you not on Youtube when the movie came out? I envy you :lol:, they was a lot of dumb takes about Dragon Ball back then. Now it feels like the fanbase have become a little smarter.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:37 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:35 amWere you not on Youtube when the movie came out? I envy you :lol:, they was a lot of dumb takes about Dragon Ball back then. Now it feels like the fanbase have become a little smarter.
BoG came out nine years ago so most people who didn't like it probably aren't around anymore. It's the same with every franchise. Once they get it off their chest they move on to something else while the ones still around either enjoyed it or more neutral.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:02 pm

At least in this forum, GT gets talked about a lot.

We have the Rewatch thread that always has discussions, we have threads about Uub, about SS4, about transformations including SS4, just the other day I saw a thread about the scene where the shadow dragons appear. GT's score also gets a lot of talk. There are many members here with a GT profile pic.
We also have SDBH that has post-GT characters. Kami-Oren was basically Baby meets Aniraza, we had Z Broly using SS4. We have GT characters in videogames as well. We had SS4 referenced by Toriyama in Broly, we have the Cereleans that bear some resemblance to the tsufurians, we had several references to GT in DBS, too.
Unfortunately, we also have that Omari dude that will not shut up about GT, so it isn't all peaches and cream.

For a dead show that aired its last episode in 1997, it's talked about a lot.

And I've never heard anybody saying BoG was worse than Evolution, either. It makes no sense, so whoever said that, probably are keeping that to themselves, nowadays.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:18 pm

When did people forget about evolution? I'm i on the wrong planet? When BOG came out some people said it was worst then evolution, So we still talk about evolution till this day. And no, the franchise is not going to die because of this movie, you know it deep down, and everyone knows it, all these "doomsday theories" are getting boring now :yawn:

Hold on where was that said on here or in general amongst the anime community? Cause I don’t remember that being said. I remember BOG was called boring until the end fight.But not flat out terrible.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:48 pm

Skar wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:34 am If it reaches around $40 million to make it to the top 50, it would be below BoG and RoF but still the highest grossing CGI anime film.
DBS Super Hero will need to pull in ridiculous numbers to be out Stand by Me Doraemon, which stands as the highest-grossing CGI anime film ever at $183.4 million.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:01 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:48 pmDBS Super Hero will need to pull in ridiculous numbers to be out Stand by Me Doraemon, which stands as the highest-grossing CGI anime film ever at $183.4 million.
Oops I meant third highest. When I said "only two grossed more than the average anime film" I was talking about the Stand by Me Doraemon films since they were the only CGI films in top 50.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:17 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:18 pm
When did people forget about evolution? I'm i on the wrong planet? When BOG came out some people said it was worst then evolution, So we still talk about evolution till this day. And no, the franchise is not going to die because of this movie, you know it deep down, and everyone knows it, all these "doomsday theories" are getting boring now :yawn:

Hold on where was that said on here or in general amongst the anime community? Cause I don’t remember that being said. I remember BOG was called boring until the end fight.But not flat out terrible.
Mostly On YouTube but i do think i remember one time were someone on here saying it but that was a long time ago, Hail Zeon was a dragon ball youtuber that said it and i remember one person on forneverworlds comment section going around to every anime channel that review the movie to say it, that shit was pretty funny lol.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:30 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:17 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:18 pm

Mostly On YouTube but i do think i remember one time were someone on here saying it but that was a long time ago, Hail Zeon was a dragon ball youtuber that said it and i remember one person on forneverworlds comment section going around to every anime channel that review the movie to say it, that shit was pretty funny lol.

Ahhh Zeon hasn’t changed if I recall it’s LadyZeon now months back on twitter Zeon was saying the entire Broly was horrible because of that very small section of CGI when Goku and Broly was fighting in the ice. :lol:

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:47 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:27 am

I don't know the SW-fandom very well, but i am a Tolkien-fan as well. Compared to Tolkien-fandom, i think the DB-community is pretty tolerable. We are sceptical sometimes, but we generally don't break anything completely down that isn't actually shown yet. Tolkien-fans are completely destroying a show which only has shown a small trailer that by no means looks bad.
There is nothing wrong with being sceptical on a trailer, but that is really over the top the rant that's happening within that community. I don't think DB-community comes close to that.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:35 pm

I will always feel sad for the prequel fans they didn’t deserve to get bullied on social media. Or have to constantly be harassed by RLM fans into watching his disgusting vids on why the prequels suck. After Marcia Lucas confirmed that it was all George Lucas who deserves the credit for Star Wars. You would think that RLM would have lost a lot of credibility not that he had any for claiming that George Lucas had his film saved by others in the edit. Well it’s getting there Nerdonymous and So Uncivilized are good YouTubers that have done a wonderful job for fans of Star Wars. I thank JW Rinzler too may he Rest In Peace.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:18 pm

Lets be reasonable. This movie won't flop. It might not do better than Broly but it will be fine. Toei doesn't spend enough money on these movies to lose money, they are very cheap compared to other studios. It's not like this movie cost 200 million to make.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:37 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:18 pm Lets be reasonable. This movie won't flop. It might not do better than Broly but it will be fine. Toei doesn't spend enough money on these movies to lose money, they are very cheap compared to other studios. It's not like this movie cost 200 million to make.
I mean...no anime movie should be costing $200 million to make anyways. For comparison sake, DBS Broly's budget is reported to be only around 8 million. Demon Slayer: Mugen Train is about 14mill. I imagine that the budget for Super Hero is somewhere between there, or slightly lower than Broly.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:13 pm

Super Hero's budget is probably $10 million, give or take a million for uncertainty.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:44 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:37 pm
TheMajinRedComet wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:18 pm Lets be reasonable. This movie won't flop. It might not do better than Broly but it will be fine. Toei doesn't spend enough money on these movies to lose money, they are very cheap compared to other studios. It's not like this movie cost 200 million to make.
I mean...no anime movie should be costing $200 million to make anyways. For comparison sake, DBS Broly's budget is reported to be only around 8 million. Demon Slayer: Mugen Train is about 14mill. I imagine that the budget for Super Hero is somewhere between there, or slightly lower than Broly.
Give the extra $192,000,000 to the animation staff.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:44 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:37 pm
Give the extra $192,000,000 to the animation staff.
and bankrupt TOEI, I guess.
Welp, time for a better anime studio to rise from the ashes :D