UI was better looking in the TOP manga arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KentMan
Banned

UI was better looking in the TOP manga arc?

Post by KentMan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:56 pm

It’s unfortunate what it looked like in the Moro arc well some of it like sign did look good but that was until he buffed up. Maybe the Granolah arc will make it look better.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: UI was better looking in the TOP manga arc?

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:11 pm

All of the look bad in the manga and without impact.

The anime made UI Omen and the completed one look bad ass and a big event rivaling the original Super Saiyan.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:43 pm

Lol 3 different opinions here.

I think it looks absolutely the best in the Moro arc. It being skinny in the ToP made it too similar to ssj god. I also absolutely love it being completely calm and auraless.

It looks completely atrocious in the anime. I mean the design is fine, but I seriously can not understand how anyone can think that CGI aura covering everything looks good. Some of the action was beautifully animated and then just completely obliterated by being covered in these bloomy FX where you can barely see what's going on.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:06 pm

I’m team skinny Ultra Instinct.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:06 pm

Cipher wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:06 pm I’m team skinny Ultra Instinct.
Same. It matches Toriyama's art better.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:21 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:43 pm I think it looks absolutely the best in the Moro arc. It being skinny in the ToP made it too similar to ssj god. I also absolutely love it being completely calm and auraless.
Looks too much like SSG? Someone should have told Toyotaro not to do this than

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:01 am

I like Toriyama's UI more than both anime or manga. As in hair looking like base form. Hair bananas going slightly up just don't feel right.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:39 am

mute_proxy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:01 am I like Toriyama's UI more than both anime or manga. As in hair looking like base form. Hair bananas going slightly up just don't feel right.
I miss the old man drawing aww man why you gotta make me emotional 😭?

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:26 am

ZombieVito wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:11 pm All of the look bad in the manga and without impact.

The anime made UI Omen and the completed one look bad ass and a big event rivaling the original Super Saiyan.
Agreed the manga and the initial Toriyama design reveal version make me hate UI they both look like dogshit Goku looks too damn skinny :sick:

The latter half of the anime made Goku really look like a god in UI dude was jacked in that Jiren fight.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:09 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:26 am
ZombieVito wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:11 pm All of the look bad in the manga and without impact.

Agreed the manga and the initial Toriyama design reveal version make me hate UI they both look like dogshit Goku looks too damn skinny :sick:

The latter half of the anime made Goku really look like a god in UI dude was jacked in that Jiren fight.
UI Omen's initial appearance had the impact of the original Super Saiyan transformation, it was that good and this is not me saying it, a lot of people I have talked to online and offline have told me this.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:26 pm

I actually like the Moro arc Migatte. He looks bulkier but not that much, enough to be scary to get punched by that guy, but not that much for it to feel like the speed will be a problem. And also that fucking scar.

Anime Migatte, not so much. Too shinny and flashy, the aura is too purple and blue and there's just too much going on, all the new forms at the ToP had too much light, like SSBE. I do love the animation and everything else, but the actual design not so much. His hair ends up looking kinda purple as well.

ToP manga UI was too skinny for my taste, like a skater from the movie Kids. Add some wrinkles to him and he'd be a really old SSG. I'd rather keep the scrawny looking form for SSG.

FighterZ had UI extremely buffed, making Z Broly look like DJ Qualls. Not a fan of that.

I think my prefered UI look is the anime's introduction against Jiren. Pure light, some blue shadows, the eyes somewhere in there, and that's it.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:41 pm

Yeah Toyotaro had the looks and everything back than except for base Goku sometimes. Just look how well UI Goku is nicely drawn here. I was so hyped back than for it too look like this in the Moro arc or even better but what a disappointment that he copied the anime. Image

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:32 pm

Ultra Instinct Goku looked skinny in the current arc, both against Whis and Granolah. Not as skinny as in the ToP, but also much less bulkier than in Moro.

Maybe that's how he will look from now when he's not shirtless

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:11 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:06 pm
Cipher wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:06 pm I’m team skinny Ultra Instinct.
Same. It matches Toriyama's art better.

That’s just the SSG art with a different hair colour. Not a big point in its favour if you ask me.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:34 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:11 pm That’s just the SSG art with a different hair colour. Not a big point in its favour if you ask me.
It still looks like SSG even in the Granolah arcImage

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:46 am

The ultimate goal for him is to use full UI ability in his base form without any transformation, maybe that's why he looks bulkier as he progresses because he needs to transform less and less to use it.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:10 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:11 pm That’s just the SSG art with a different hair colour. Not a big point in its favour if you ask me.
Personally, I like it.

UI is an SSG recolor regardless, it's just either Toei's SSG or Toriyama's.

Yes, Toei re-used the SSG hair they made for Battle of Gods that didn't make it on Ultra Instinct.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:36 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:46 am The ultimate goal for him is to use full UI ability in his base form without any transformation, maybe that's why he looks bulkier as he progresses because he needs to transform less and less to use it.
He looks bulkier probably because of different reasons because by the time we reach the Granolah arc he’s slim down again just a bit. The goal actually is just being able to UI in his base form and setting aside the silver haired form as a trump card.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:33 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:10 pm UI is an SSG recolor regardless, it's just either Toei's SSG or Toriyama's.

Yes, Toei re-used the SSG hair they made for Battle of Gods that didn't make it on Ultra Instinct.
It's a recolor in Toriyama's drawing only,

Toei made him buff and slightly lifted his hair spikes, Toyotaro also lifted the hair.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:18 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:33 pm
Dragon Wukong wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:10 pm UI is an SSG recolor regardless, it's just either Toei's SSG or Toriyama's.

It's a recolor in Toriyama's drawing only,

Toei made him buff and slightly lifted his hair spikes, Toyotaro also lifted the hair.
It really is no matter what Toei or Toyotaro does buffing it up makes it no different than Kaioken