Was the Majin Buu Saga ever shown much through reruns during the Mid-To-Late-2000’s Era of Cartoon Network?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DLJL731980
Banned

Was the Majin Buu Saga ever shown much through reruns during the Mid-To-Late-2000’s Era of Cartoon Network?

Post by DLJL731980 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:58 pm

Because I can’t remember if they were or not.

Here in America, I only remember seeing Buu Saga Era episodes through reruns in 2004 on Cartoon Network. But overall…in Mid-To-Late 2004 up until Early 2005…GT was the ONLY Dragon Ball series that US Cartoon Network was pushing. And then I definitely remember watching the 2005 uncut of the first 67 episodes of DBZ on Cartoon Network.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Re: Was the Majin Buu Saga ever shown much through reruns during the Mid-To-Late-2000’s Era of Cartoon Network?

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:10 pm

I think you are remembering correctly. BUU saga episodes were not rerun nearly as much as freeza and sayain saga. If I remember correctly the arc was released in 3 parts, up to vegeta dying than up till Vegetto then kid buu stuff. I could be wrong. It was around this time that I had switched to buying the DVD singles. Toonami had a lot of variety in those years. They changed the line up often plus the Buu saga is huge.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Was the Majin Buu Saga ever shown much through reruns during the Mid-To-Late-2000’s Era of Cartoon Network?

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:41 pm

Nope, I don't think so. The mid-late 2000s reruns had only gotten up to the Cell Games before Toonami got cancelled.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:15 am

I don't believe so (but I tapped out of Toonami's audience by then / was more into binging Naruto subbed and discovering Bebop/FMA/Evangelion and so forth).

I will say for certain (at least as I recall) that the Kid Buu saga did not re-air more than once as they had moved on to GT almost immediately after (albeit skipping the entire 1st GT arc too). The stretch between Otherworld Tournament to Vegeta's "Final Atonement" was replayed a shit-ton, and the gap between that and the Super Buu/Fusion episodes airing were so long that Toonami had to resort to replaying DBZ in its entirety as they couldn't just keep rerunning those same episodes.

Slightly off topic, but I also remember the King Piccolo / Piccolo Jr. Sagas of Dragon Ball didn't air more than once (and I think finished alongside GT when the weekday version of Toonami was on its way out).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:52 am

Masquerade wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:15 am .

Slightly off topic, but I also remember the King Piccolo / Piccolo Jr. Sagas of Dragon Ball didn't air more than once (and I think finished alongside GT when the weekday version of Toonami was on its way out).
That’s what I thought so but evidently it ran once more in 2004 and then began a third run before cutting off to go back to the second half of the tournament arc and then jumping ahead to the end of the Tien arc and then pulled it off the schedule after that

https://toonami.fandom.com/wiki/2004_Schedule

Toonami: Ope, Krillin is dead. No more Dragon Ball

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:31 pm

It was before Toonami was moved to Saturday night (bad move).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:43 pm

Toonami peaked with the 2000-2001 season. Come Fall 2001 and it was all downhill from there. I think that by the 03-04 season they weren't even pretending anymore and the lineup was like, 100% DB or something.

The less said about the Saturday Night Toonami, the better. If it's not five days per week, then it ain't Toonami. And don't get me started on the content.