Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 82 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 82 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Omori » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:43 pm

I like these teleportations to other planets with its references :D

In Chapter 81 we had Jaco at the planet where he caught Cranberry some time ago.
Now we first got Calamis and Mezashi from the Galactic Patrol.. the planet might be some base.

Then the planet where we see the commentator and singer of the U6 tournament. Weren't they originally from U6? :eh:
Might need to recheck if there was something mentioned before.
And the sky looks a bit like the planet where Jaco went with ex-girlfriend.. Hmm..

Next is a desert planet where we see Bodara and possibly Sakaytoba (?).
Also nice to see Monaka again.. And the Galactic King can't catch a break I guess :lol:

All this makes U7 feel a bit more alive imo 8)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:36 am

The fight looks fun. I like these cameos too. I would guess that the U6 tournament announcer and referee are together on that Planet as they are working at another tournament. I guess that’s their job, isn’t it? We also finally saw Monaka’s job in the manga.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Pafupafu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pafupafu » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:25 pm

Most of my predictions are coming true for this chapter. A rarity! Here’s my next one…

The erratic use of instantaneous movement across locations/planets is going to lead to Goku and Gas somehow being sent across time and space—- into the past. Goku is going to defeat past Gas with present Gas - after all he is the strongest in the universe. Goku would be perceived as Bardock due to their identical looks but in reality he saved his father. No immediate idea on how present Gas would be defeated but I do see some sort of Elec betrayal confrontation boiling along with a need for Granolah to finish them off himself.

The way this story is being told - there is some sort of great mystery with Bardock somehow defeating Gas and Goku finally crossing physical paths with his father.

I do understand that’s not how time travel has worked in the series thus far but I think there’s some sort of payoff to having an identical fighter miraculously defeat the current threat in the past as we watch it unfold in the future with teleportation playing a key role.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:21 am

I like the idea of Gas Chasing Goku across the Universe. It makes the world feel more alive even though we don't know most of the planets they are going to. It works really well in making it feel more lived in when you see more than just Earth, Namek, and Beerus Planet. And I'm glad we are finally getting off Planet Cereal for a while.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:22 pm

Pafupafu wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:25 pm Most of my predictions are coming true for this chapter. A rarity! Here’s my next one…

The erratic use of instantaneous movement across locations/planets is going to lead to Goku and Gas somehow being sent across time and space—- into the past. Goku is going to defeat past Gas with present Gas - after all he is the strongest in the universe. Goku would be perceived as Bardock due to their identical looks but in reality he saved his father. No immediate idea on how present Gas would be defeated but I do see some sort of Elec betrayal confrontation boiling along with a need for Granolah to finish them off himself.

The way this story is being told - there is some sort of great mystery with Bardock somehow defeating Gas and Goku finally crossing physical paths with his father.

I do understand that’s not how time travel has worked in the series thus far but I think there’s some sort of payoff to having an identical fighter miraculously defeat the current threat in the past as we watch it unfold in the future with teleportation playing a key role.
...and beat Broly by beating kid Broly, and beat everyone by beating kid everyone...
Once done, it can be done again, so hopefully you're wrong :D
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:43 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:22 pm
Pafupafu wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:25 pm
...and beat Broly by beating kid Broly, and beat everyone by beating kid everyone...
To be fair, there's a ton of solutions never used more than a couple of times that they could take advantage of. In DB world they always try the dumbest, most headstrong approach first. They only really use all of their resources when it's too late.

So they could do this (no matter how dumb it is) and then pretend it never happened. Would Goku even want to do it?
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Pafupafu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pafupafu » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:20 pm

Pafupafu wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:25 pm Most of my predictions are coming true for this chapter. A rarity! Here’s my next one…

That’s why I think it will be more a random result of erratically using teleportation. I also just want a realistic in-universe answer to how Bardock could defeat Gas so logic points toward some sort of deus ex machina in the past. No one else witnessed it so that’s why I think we are heading toward something akin to this.

They opened up the Bardock storyline so there has to be some sort of logical conclusion that also somewhat intersects with the present day story, whether thematically or physically.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:09 am

This is probably my favorite set of draft pages in a while. Had me laughing out loud. Goku seems to be having a good time challenging Gas. Seems less likely that Goku is taking Gas to a particular person or place, especially since the title is Bardock vs Gas, but we'll see.

Monaka reigns supreme.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:36 pm

Pafupafu wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:20 pm

That’s why I think it will be more a random result of erratically using teleportation. I also just want a realistic in-universe answer to how Bardock could defeat Gas so logic points toward some sort of deus ex machina in the past. No one else witnessed it so that’s why I think we are heading toward something akin to this.

They opened up the Bardock storyline so there has to be some sort of logical conclusion that also somewhat intersects with the present day story, whether thematically or physically.
That doesn't mean the ongoing story have to *directly* intersect the older one with a Back to the Future escamotage. There are more indirect narrative systems to have past and present get linked - one can be both Bardock and Goku spotted a flaw in Gas (so they "look" similar to Gas eyes, and the link is done). You can have a similar set of attacks, Toyotaro using twin panels to show such a link.

Moving thru time create more problems that it solve for the entire franchise (it was always so XD), and if is a random occurence, it end the arc with a way more terrible deus ex - the *plot device*. Just mind that Goku is unaware that teleport can break into timeslip, so his strategy cannot include it.

Anyway, I can concede that will be quite a fascinating thing - if not that present Gas didn't recognize Goku at all and the whole process lead to aun uncanny paradox of a beaten up Gas that will never follow Goku in the past, so no reason to go in the past (no reason for the entire arc...).
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

dbmm

Post by dbmm » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:27 am

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:36 am

Oh hey, that's a cool turn of events. I kind of doubt Toriyama would have the interest to allow Gokuu to care about anything let alone remembering his parents but this is nice.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:23 am

dbmm wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:27 am SPOILERS CHAPTER 82

https://twitter.com/DbsHype1/status/1504078695174090752
To be fair? FINALLY.

Goku's already on a point of his life where recovering his memory wouldn't affect his personality at all. So it's good he's finally remembering his parents.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:14 pm

Goku remembering his parents and his true origins is one hell of a way to make him an interesting character once again. There's a lot that can be done with that, especially now that Goku has even come to call himself "Kakarot" (which is something that needs a bit of development).

I doubt any of this will affect his personality, but as long as it leads somewhere... Credits where is due, nice job Toyotaro. I highly doubt this is a decision that came from Toriyama.

(More and more, and little by little, we are getting rid of all the excuses to not make Goku meeting Bardock...).
Last edited by Grimlock on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:16 pm

Really hoping that this is not a fake out and the story actually breaks the rule of Dragon Ball by going heady with Gokuu's arc. Let this be different!
She/Her
bisexual milf

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:08 pm

On another note, looks like this arc isn't ending before the movie after all. No way it can conclude in less than 3-5 chapters now, especially since next month we're in for more Bardock vs Gas flashbacks.

No idea what Mr. V-Jump guy mean by it ending "very soon" but seems that ain't the case.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:13 pm

Wow, now that is interesting. I actually was hoping for such a thing to happen in Broly, back then. Wonder what Goku’s reaction and thoughts will be. I doubt that this will be a drastic change or anything like that, but I like it nonetheless.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

chitarra10

Post by chitarra10 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:27 pm

Thani wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:23 am
dbmm wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:27 am SPOILERS CHAPTER 82

https://twitter.com/DbsHype1/status/1504078695174090752
To be fair? FINALLY.

Goku's already on a point of his life where recovering his memory wouldn't affect his personality at all. So it's good he's finally remembering his parents.
That link has been taken down... can you tell us what it actually said before it disappeared? Seriously, Goku starts remembering his parents!? Because that would be awesome!!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:46 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:13 pm Wow, now that is interesting. I actually was hoping for such a thing to happen in Broly, back then. Wonder what Goku’s reaction and thoughts will be. I doubt that this will be a drastic change or anything like that, but I like it nonetheless.
That scene in another dimension would have been a great chance to include memories of Gokuu, Vegeta and Broli's past reflecting in the shattered shards of glass and then Gogeta catching sight of Gokuu's memories and being stunned by them, which would lead to Broli catching him off guard and crushing his chest, thus making his breathing fucked.
She/Her
bisexual milf

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:30 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:46 pm
emperior wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:13 pm Wow, now that is interesting. I actually was hoping for such a thing to happen in Broly, back then. Wonder what Goku’s reaction and thoughts will be. I doubt that this will be a drastic change or anything like that, but I like it nonetheless.
That scene in another dimension would have been a great chance to include memories of Gokuu, Vegeta and Broli's past reflecting in the shattered shards of glass and then Gogeta catching sight of Gokuu's memories and being stunned by them, which would lead to Broli catching him off guard and crushing his chest, thus making his breathing fucked.
This.

I would have loved this. Something like the "Crack of Time" from Xenoverse.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:35 pm

CashmanX wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:30 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:46 pm
This.

I would have loved this. Something like the "Crack of Time" from Xenoverse.
Yeah, a real moment of reflection that ties back into the film's first act and all three characters' beginnings. I think that it would have been a nice break from normal Dragon Ball norms and also a nice break in the fight itself.
She/Her
bisexual milf