Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 113 - GT 54-58

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 113 - GT 54-58

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:26 am

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to week 113 of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.
We're doing five episodes a week, and we'll be watching every single episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. All 508 episodes. Plus the TV specials and the movies.
I encourage you all to watch in Japanese with subtitles, especially if you have never done so before, but watch along in whichever way brings you the most joy.

Apologies for the late posting. KBABZ and I had some stuff to figure out about trivia and then I went to sleep.

Anyway, we're running one last poll this week! This time, it's to decide whether GT episode 64 will be on its own or in the same week as Path to Power.
Decide now: [Poll concluded; GT 64 will be in the same week as Path to Power]

Previous thread: Week 112 (GT 49-53)
Next thread: Week 114 (GT 59-63)

Anyway, without further ado...

Episode 498 - Power of 6,000 Degrees Celsius! The Warrior of the Sun (GT episode 54)
Ocean dub title: The Power of 6000 Degrees Centigrade: The Sun Warrior!
Funimation dub title: The Four-Star Dragon
Originally aired 6th of August 1997

Scenario by: Shinobu Ōito
Episode director: Yoshihiro Ueda
Animation supervisor: Noboru Koizumi

Pan, the 9-year-old that she is, takes a nap while the adults have a big fight.

Trivia:

Episode 499 - Bulma Makes Her Move! The Plan to Remodel Vegeta (GT episode 55)
Ocean dub title: Vegeta's Thirst for Power!
Funimation dub title: The Heart of the Prince
Originally aired 13th of August 1997

Scenario by: Atsushi Maekawa
Episode director: Yoshihiro Ueda
Animation supervisor: Masayuki Uchiyama

Vegeta and Bulma get bored with GT so they rewatch some classic episodes of DBZ.

(Joke stolen from Herms)

Trivia:

Episode 500 - After the Sun, Comes Extreme Cold! The Sibling Dragons of Fire and Ice (GT episode 56)
Ocean dub title: The Fire and Ice Dragon Brothers!
Funimation dub title: The Three-Star Dragon
Originally aired 20th of August 1997

Episode director: Kazuhito Kikuchi
Animation supervisor: Takeo Ide

Goku continues to punch his grandpa's remaining ball until he's interrupted by someone walking in on them.

Trivia:

Episode 501 - Overwhelming Strength!! The Dragon that Rules the Evil Dragons (GT episode 57)
Ocean dub title: Enter the One-Starred Dragon!
Funimation dub title: The One-Star Dragon
Originally aired 3rd of September 1997

Episode director: Takahiro Imamura
Animation supervisor: Kazuya Hisada

Goku once again fights someone associated with coldness.

Trivia:

Episode 502 - The Counterattack Begins!! Surpass Super Saiyan 4 (GT episode 58)
Ocean dub title: Ii Shenron Claims the Power of Seven!
Funimation dub title: Shadow Dragons Unite
Originally aired 10th of September 1997

Scenario by: Shinobu Ōito
Episode director: Mitsuo Hashimoto
Animation supervisor: Masayuki Uchiyama

Ah fuck, it's another Uchiyama episode. And it's a pretty good episode too! Goddammit. Well, at least it's not a super fighting-heavy one.

Trivia:

____

Trivia written by Robo and KBABZ. Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 113 - GT 54-58 (CURRENT WEEK) [YET ANOTHER POLL]

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:52 pm

There's a change in tone, sorta, with these episodes. Less funny, more threatening, and I love it.

I do not like the initial design of Suu Shinron, that red doesn't work for me, he looks like a kettle left on the stove for way too long. His golden form is amazing, on the other hand. I wonder if San Shinron also had a more boring and pale blue-ish design, too, before looking like a shinny diamond.

Goku being stronger but slower than Suu is a nice touch, he cannot get ahold of him but when he does so, he'll fuck him up. The thing is he just can't, and ends up coming up with a plan based on the environment. Goku is having the time of his life, he is sparing the dragon so that he can keep on fighting him.
It's odd to have a dragon that is a good guy, I mean, how does he feel about consuming the world, etc? his death needs to happen in order to restore the DBs, so from a morally standpoint, is he willing to help against the other dragons? he helped Goku against his brother, and then against Omega. He is like a double agent.

I also like that the fight takes place in what it seems like a ghost town, probably struck by some earthquake or something. It beats the usual barren land Z had all of its fights on.

San being a fucking asshole also is great, the exact opposite of Suu. Freezing Goku got a little old for me, specially since he frozed him like twice. San really tells Suu what to do, huh? And, boy is the Ryuken amazing with the huge wheel on the background.

Vegeta's episode is as boring as it gets. Basically a Z re-run, by Uchiyama. I was thirsty for more Son vs Suu.

Ih Shinron hands down the best antagonist of GT to me. His design is ominous, he is a muscular dragon with spikes and a moustache made out of skin. So cold and laconic, one shotting his brother-ish. And he so casually fucks SS4 up, tanking that red KHH inside the Amusement Park.

This whole mini arc takes place in some of the best scenarios of DB as a whole. A destroyed ghost town, the sewers, some streets surrounded by skycrappers, and an amusement park. A KO'd SS4 Goku hanging down from a piece of metal of a ride it's just incredible.

Peak GT to me, this couple of episodes.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:14 pm

Weirdly, the Four-Star Dragon has a sense of honour and a measure of compassion; it's not clear why, but many have theorised it's because the wish that created him was a very selfish one, while the wishes that created the more evil dragons were more selfless, meaning the dragons are sort of the opposite of the intent of their wishes.
Since negative energy is made to balance amount of positive enrgy used it seems that the most selfish wish used the least amount of positive energy and so generated the least amount of negative energy in exchange which is why Nuova wasn't as evil as other dragons.
Second, the GT Perfect Files (GT's Daizenshuu equivalent) pairs the remaining two Dragons with these same images, the Three-Star Dragon being paired with Freeza's image.
Doesn't make sense considering Xenoverse made it clear Syn Shenron (1 star) comes from Frieza related wish while Eis Shenron (3 star) comes from Buu related wish. Either Perfect Files or Xenoverse is wrong. But seeing how Frieza wish was the most selfless one and was very powerful i assume this is what caused 1 star dragon birth and i'll stick with Xenoverse with that.
Precisely why the Dragon doesn't want to give up the Dragon Ball isn't totally clear; perhaps he gets some of his strength from it. Perhaps that's why the Four-Star Dragon didn't simply give up his ball at any point in the past couple of episodes.
Since Syn/Omega was getting not only stronger by swallowing these balls, but also was getting their actual abilities, it's possible they are indeed source of their power and without them they would be mostly harmless, but still alive.
It's not clear where the Four-Star Dragon got the medicine to help Goku's eyes.
Almost seems like Eis was doing such dirty tricks before or was in fact doing it to Nuova so he was carrying some medicine just in case :lol:
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:31 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:14 pm
Weirdly, the Four-Star Dragon has a sense of honour and a measure of compassion; it's not clear why, but many have theorised it's because the wish that created him was a very selfish one, while the wishes that created the more evil dragons were more selfless, meaning the dragons are sort of the opposite of the intent of their wishes.
Since negative energy is made to balance amount of positive enrgy used it seems that the most selfish wish used the least amount of positive energy and so generated the least amount of negative energy in exchange which is why Nuova wasn't as evil as other dragons.
This makes sense, I'm buying.
sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:14 pm
Second, the GT Perfect Files (GT's Daizenshuu equivalent) pairs the remaining two Dragons with these same images, the Three-Star Dragon being paired with Freeza's image.
Doesn't make sense considering Xenoverse made it clear Syn Shenron (1 star) comes from Frieza related wish while Eis Shenron (3 star) comes from Buu related wish. Either Perfect Files or Xenoverse is wrong. But seeing how Frieza wish was the most selfless one and was very powerful i assume this is what caused 1 star dragon birth and i'll stick with Xenoverse with that.
GTPF has a history of getting things wrong, but in this case I wouldn't give much credit to a videogame from 2015. It does make more sense, narratively, to have Ih connected to Freeza in some way, though.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:43 pm

Why not? I don't know about Perfect Files history, but Dimps has no history of getting things wrong, especially in the Xenoverse games where one can tell some degree of care was put into it. What they do is placing the destruction of Vegeta in AGE 737, which isn't necessarily wrong, merely an outdated information. Changing it would confuse a lot of people. If it makes sense as you're saying, I don't see the problem.
Last edited by Grimlock on Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:53 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:43 pm Why not? I don't know about Perfect Files history, but Dimps has no history of getting things wrong, especially in the Xenoverse games where one can tell some degree of care was put into it. The only thing they do is placing the destruction of Vegeta in AGE 737, which isn't necessarily wrong, merely an outdated information. Changing it would confuse a lot of people. If it makes sense as you're saying, I don't see the problem.
True, I was giving GTPF credit for working side by side with GT producers, unlike Dimps, but in my post I already implied they weren’t doing so in the first place, thus getting things wrong; and having an unfounded prejudice against a videogame.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:58 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:53 pmand having an unfounded prejudice against a videogame.
Join me in getting rid of this plague once and for all, man. :P
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:30 pm

Vegeta literally mentions Super Saiyan 5 in the recap episode and it's hilarious to this day :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:26 amNo offence to Chris Sabat intended (he's, frankly, an awesome person and if I ever met him in person I'd wish him nothing but the best), but Bob Carter was really good for the, what, two episodes they used him?... Very sad that he was dropped after that.
As someone who has met Chris Sabat, rest assured you won't be disappointed, he is a lot of fun to talk to and is always super nice to the fans.

I'm not a fan of Sabat's Yi Xing Long but I'm going to blame the voice filter rather than Sabat himself, I found it really unnecessary and distracting.

I like Noah Umholtz and Hidekatsu Shibata's performances although you could argue the former is my nostalgia speaking.

The settings of these battles are really cool. You can't say TOEI didn't try to experiment with GT aesthetically. A deserted city, including an amusement park and cloudy skies were unlike anything we've seen in previous major fights, but they at very least made these stand out.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:23 pm

I don’t understand why they apparently decided that San Xi Long/Eis Shenron was born from the final wish used with the Earth Dragon Balls. Wouldn’t it have made a lot more sense for him to have been born from the wish that was used to revive Piccolo Daimao’s victims?
Goku uses the Dragon Fist in this episode for the only time in a mainline Dragon Ball work; outside of this, it has only ever been used in Z movie 13 and video games.
Nah, he uses it two other times in GT, including in episode 59.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:13 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:52 pm his death needs to happen in order to restore the DBs, so from a morally standpoint, is he willing to help against the other dragons? he helped Goku against his brother, and then against Omega. He is like a double agent.
Well, he could give up the Dragon Ball. But presumably he would lose all his power and no longer be able to fight Goku.
sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:14 pm Doesn't make sense considering Xenoverse made it clear Syn Shenron (1 star) comes from Frieza related wish while Eis Shenron (3 star) comes from Buu related wish. Either Perfect Files or Xenoverse is wrong. But seeing how Frieza wish was the most selfless one and was very powerful i assume this is what caused 1 star dragon birth and i'll stick with Xenoverse with that.
Slight mix-up on KBABZ's part that I should have caught. I know which Dragons are which, KBABZ doesn't, having not watched any of these episodes, so it should be my job to make sure no mix-ups get introduced into trivia regarding this. In this instance, I wasn't as diligent as I should have been. Fixed now.
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:31 pm GTPF has a history of getting things wrong, but in this case I wouldn't give much credit to a videogame from 2015. It does make more sense, narratively, to have Ih connected to Freeza in some way, though.
GTPF doesn't have a history of getting things wrong. Other sources do.

The most frequently-cited problems are the Dragons' wishes and the timeskip. VegettoEX outlined a couple of years ago why these aren't problems with the Perfect Files.
The reality is the Perfect Files had extensive contributions from the production team of GT, so it's unlikely to have anything wrong.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:11 pm I like Noah Umholtz and Hidekatsu Shibata's performances although you could argue the former is my nostalgia speaking.
Honestly, I really like both of them too. They're good!
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:23 pm Nah, he uses it two other times in GT, including in episode 59.
Fuck. My bad. I didn't think of the use in the Super 17 arc as being the same technique (though I probably should), and I just straight forgot about the time it showed up in episode 59 since I haven't seen that episode in years. :lol:
Fixed now.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:44 pm

The Uchiyama hate is real, damn :lol:

That Bulma and Vegeta episode wouldn't have been half as good as it was without Last House. It might be my favorite episode of the bunch. When it ain't a fight-heavy episode, the man gets the job done. DB would not be DB without Uchiyama's art style. It's classic.

Overall these episodes are better than the previous few. Once One-Star appears things get much better. Hidekatsu Shibata, formerly King Chapa (and Sarutobi from Naruto), does good work in the role. Additionally, Kaneto Shiozawa plays Three-Star and it's always a pleasure to hear his voice.

I like how cold and twisted Goku is as SSJ4.

Goku really slurs his -ai words in GT. He doesn't do it so much in the previous shows.

As for official guidebooks like the Perfect Files and the Daizenshuu, they are indeed reliable sources as they were put together by the production staff. However, they still tend to have inconsistencies with the series itself from time to time, so it's important to be cautious and use your own judgement.

Goku continues to punch his grandpa's remaining ball until he's interrupted by someone walking in on them.
This is a bit much.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:54 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:13 pm GTPF doesn't have a history of getting things wrong. Other sources do.

The most frequently-cited problems are the Dragons' wishes and the timeskip. VegettoEX outlined a couple of years ago why these aren't problems with the Perfect Files.
The reality is the Perfect Files had extensive contributions from the production team of GT, so it's unlikely to have anything wrong.
I've never heard of those problems before, but if they did indeed state that Gohan never stopped training, then they would be contradicting Maekawa, who wrote the most episodes and he acknowledged Gohan had moved on from fighting and was now a scholar, father bla bla, and that they had planned his comeback, which is part of episode 58's trivia, too. Although he said the comeback was planned for the Super 17 arc.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:35 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:44 pm
This is a bit much.
That's RICH.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:00 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:35 am
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:44 pm
This is a bit much.
That's RICH.
Seconded
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:54 pm I've never heard of those problems before, but if they did indeed state that Gohan never stopped training, then they would be contradicting Maekawa, who wrote the most episodes and he acknowledged Gohan had moved on from fighting and was now a scholar, father bla bla, and that they had planned his comeback, which is part of episode 58's trivia, too. Although he said the comeback was planned for the Super 17 arc.
If it's in the Perfect Files then it's what the production team, or some members of it at least, intended.