Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:50 pm

Change the word postponed to cancelled and that be even better. Like seriously the franchise does not need the bad press that’s going to come from the Video essay/Anituber community

Fingers crossed the hacker leaks the movie on a piracy website and it’s theatrical release is canceled. Toei and Toriyama can then save face and place complete blame on the hacker. Then we can wait and get the movie we should have gotten Aka the Cooler reboot with no dogshit CGI and Shintani and Takahashi back on board.

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:46 am
Toei has the integrity to not do that
The oxymoron that is Toei & integrity :D
Last edited by ObnoxiousNamek on Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:08 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:50 pm Then we can wait and get the movie we should have gotten Aka the Cooler reboot with no dogshit CGI and Shintani and Takahashi back on board.
For the billionth time posting this, since it doesn't seem to get through to some of y'all:

- this is the kind of film/story/idea that I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever and find more creatively bankrupt than anything that's come yet (in fact, I have a pretty viscerally negative reaction to it!)

- what you've posted is not a universal opinion among all of fandom

- I'm personally very excited to see how Super Hero turns out.

If you folks are allowed to keep shouting this stuff, I'll just return it in kind!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:10 pm

I legitimately love the idea of this film, I just wish it were hand drawn. That said, I'm also looking forward to actually seeing how the film is directed and animated and not just a few simple, quick shots from two trailers.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:23 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:50 pm Change the word postponed to cancelled and that be even better. Like seriously the franchise does not need the bad press that’s going to come from the Video essay/Anituber community

Fingers crossed the hacker leaks the movie on a piracy website and it’s theatrical release is canceled. Toei and Toriyama can then save face and place complete blame on the hacker. Then we can wait and get the movie we should have gotten Aka the Cooler reboot with no dogshit CGI and Shintani and Takahashi back on board.
Oh please no, I thought people were just goofing around about the Cooler stuff. For the record, I'm MUCH more interested in Super Hero than anything borrowing from the Toei films. It's a miracle they pulled Broly off, I doubt they can do it again. Cooler is such a nothing character and his design is one of the weakest of the movie villains, there's not much to work with.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:25 pm

There is no way that Toei cancels a film that was essentially finished and likely costs millions of dollars to produce and market. That is freaking insane and I have no idea how anyone could think that's a possibility.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:29 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:25 pm There is no way that Toei cancels a film that was essentially finished and likely costs millions of dollars to produce and market. That is freaking insane and I have no idea how anyone could think that's a possibility.
But the video essay/Anituber community :D

I kid, I kid. I'm sorry though, some of the negativity surrounding this film is starting to become seriously unhinged. This thread disturbs me sometimes!

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:43 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:25 pm There is no way that Toei cancels a film that was essentially finished and likely costs millions of dollars to produce and market. That is freaking insane and I have no idea how anyone could think that's a possibility.
Lol what marketing? :D Oh you mean the 50 sec “trailers” of the only decent still shots or ones with minimal movement which are mostly the same ones we’ve already seen?

I’m sure they’d make it back from revenue Dokkan & Legends brings in a month. I highly doubt this movie has a very high budget based off whats been shown.

I’d take canceling over gambling with what is an obvious flop that can be avoided. One bad movie and the franchise dies

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:50 pm

Great, I have been starving for good DBS content for 4 years and it gets delayed.

:(

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:55 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:29 pm

I kid, I kid. I'm sorry though, some of the negativity surrounding this film is starting to become seriously unhinged. This thread disturbs me sometimes!
You laugh but they unfortunately have a lot influence over newcomers to anime that watch/listen to them & can affect a series reputation. Those newbies are the same ones the people in charge of this movie say they want to win over. Bleach is just now getting the slander stench off them that was put on them years back by that community.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:06 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:55 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:29 pm

You laugh but they unfortunately have a lot influence over newcomers to anime that watch/listen to them & can affect a series reputation. Those newbies are the same ones the people in charge of this movie say they want to win over. Bleach is just now getting the slander stench off them that was put on them years back by that community.
Maybe I'm selfish but even if that's true, I'm glad they're making a film for people like us, people who already love Dragon Ball, instead of pandering to indifferent, fickle youngsters.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:23 pm

The production of this film has been taking too long even at this point. I think the sudden switch to full 3D CGI was not a good idea after all. They could have already released this before this mess if they hadn't taken the risk. In my opinion, they should have at least tested full CGI by producing remakes of old DBZ Movies for Netflix or something as a rehearsal.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:04 pm

kei17 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:23 pm The production of this film has been taking too long even at this point.
I don't agree, the release date was earlier than most of us thought. Many people expected December 2022 (inb4 now it happens)

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:42 pm

I’m actually looking forward to this movie, whenever this releases.

I’m hoping to make it the third Dragonball thing I’ve seen in theaters!

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:06 pm

kei17 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:23 pm The production of this film has been taking too long even at this point. I think the sudden switch to full 3D CGI was not a good idea after all. They could have already released this before this mess if they hadn't taken the risk. In my opinion, they should have at least tested full CGI by producing remakes of old DBZ Movies for Netflix or something as a rehearsal.

Agreed I mean they have supposedly been working on this since what 2018/2019? If it takes you 3-4 years to produce CGI that to be quite honest is nowhere near up to par with industry standards for animated CGI movies. Then your CG dept is not competent or talented enough & you shouldn’t be trying to do something you have no idea how to do properly.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:28 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:06 pm Agreed I mean they have supposedly been working on this since what 2018/2019? If it takes you 3-4 years to produce CGI that to be quite honest is nowhere near up to par with industry standards for animated CGI movies. Then your CG dept is not competent or talented enough & you shouldn’t be trying to do something you have no idea how to do properly.
Then how would they improve if they don't try at all in first place. You have to do a first try at some point.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:54 pm

Fans: "Toei is creatively backrupt."

Also fans: "Why didn't they just reboot Cooler instead?"

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:57 pm

I totally agree. While Cooler is relatively neat for a movie bad guy, I'm glad to see something relatively new for DB. Something that isn't bringing another movie villain into the Super anime and manga canon is a better idea. We already have Broly to scratch that itch, thank you very much.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:55 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:54 pm Fans: "Toei is creatively backrupt."

This "Fans" that is always mentioned seems like a really indecisive person

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:22 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:54 pm Fans: "Toei is creatively backrupt."

No matter what Toei and Toriyama do, there will always be fans with very strong opinions against it.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:32 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:28 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:06 pm Agreed I mean they have supposedly been working on this since what 2018/2019? If it takes you 3-4 years to produce CGI that to be quite honest is nowhere near up to par with industry standards for animated CGI movies. Then your CG dept is not competent or talented enough & you shouldn’t be trying to do something you have no idea how to do properly.
Then how would they improve if they don't try at all in first place. You have to do a first try at some point.
Which didn't have to be a feature film and part of the main story line.