Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lukmendes
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:22 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:49 am It gave them publicity /shrug

Something like that was unprecedented, no one ever gathered in city centres to watch an anime episode, before DBS of course.
I mean, it's not filling up Toei's pockets as much as they'd want to, even if this shows how much people care about DB, Toei doesn't care, they're corporate, they're about making money, something like that isn't making them money.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:33 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:53 pm It would seem it was not, no.

I think it took some time for Dragon Ball Super to reach the streaming services after its original run ended. They seemingly watched simultaneously with the Japanese airing of the episode, going by the date of this post. It was unofficial, and therefore, illegal.

Another evidence of its illegality. As an irony of fate, Toei was indeed "angry" about those streamings (Sonia Villarreal was a mayor in Mexico at the time, as per my research).

Well they did stream episode 130 through crunchyroll.

I don't know about the latest one.
But they achieved a sort of "agreement" with Toei because under Crunchyrolls terms you can stream anything to the quantity of people you want.
After the inicial opposition, Toei gave permission to a few states to do this, as long as no sales were made in this event, at least this is what was alleged here. The thing is many other states ended up joining without the permission. But yeah all the events were in fact cancelled initially it's not like they said "fuck toei"

By the way isn't that 2nd link of yours from Brazil?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:03 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:43 pmI’d take canceling over gambling with what is an obvious flop that can be avoided. One bad movie and the franchise dies
I still think this revival peaked with Broly and that Toei doesn't expect Super Hero to gross as much as the last three films. I was checking other CGI films Toei animated and I believe the last ones were Captain Harlock and Saint Seiya: Legend Of Sanctuary. Both had a budget of over $20 million and didn't breakeven so not the best track record. The Saint Seiya film didn't kill the franchise though. I think the most that could happen if it does flop is Toei deciding this is a one time CGI film and not attempting it again.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:41 pm

Seems like the staff of Knights of the Zodiac (the Netflix remake) is helping with the movie. In this video, the director Yoshiharu Ashino talks about it (4:30).

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:31 am

dva_raza wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:33 pmBy the way isn't that 2nd link of yours from Brazil?
Yeah, that post mentions it happened in Brazil.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:47 am

I'm sure fans will go see the movie. I think it would do better if there was a bigger push for advertising, though. When the Broly movie was coming, I knew people who were talking about it. It released in general theaters, unlike the previous two movies, which were considered too niche. This time, it's like nobody even knows a Dragon Ball movie is coming in a few months. The same people who were hyped for Broly are totally in the dark now.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:28 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:47 am I'm sure fans will go see the movie. I think it would do better if there was a bigger push for advertising, though. When the Broly movie was coming, I knew people who were talking about it. It released in general theaters, unlike the previous two movies, which were considered too niche. This time, it's like nobody even knows a Dragon Ball movie is coming in a few months. The same people who were hyped for Broly are totally in the dark now.
I only learned of the current movie by accident a few weeks ago lol.

Movie's really not being talked about.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:08 am

Skar wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:03 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:43 pmI’d take canceling over gambling with what is an obvious flop that can be avoided. One bad movie and the franchise dies
I still think this revival peaked with Broly and that Toei doesn't expect Super Hero to gross as much as the last three films. I was checking other CGI films Toei animated and I believe the last ones were Captain Harlock and Saint Seiya: Legend Of Sanctuary. Both had a budget of over $20 million and didn't breakeven so not the best track record. The Saint Seiya film didn't kill the franchise though. I think the most that could happen if it does flop is Toei deciding this is a one time CGI film and not attempting it again.
Which is crazy to me they already came into this movie with a losers mindset after knocking it out the park with Broly. Broly can be topped but you have to go Bigger and badder not regress. Which is why it’s strange to me when everyone is against Cooler or Janemba being brought back. These straight to home video street shark reject villains are not it. Making a great DB is not rocket science I’d wager a good majority of the fans don’t go to the movies expecting a good plot these Dragonball movies (execept for this latest one) are essentially theme park ride films ffs. Plot be dammed.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:04 am

The amount of wrong assumptions about this movie and how the industry itself works is astounding.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:43 am

SSJgogeto wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:41 pm Seems like the staff of Knights of the Zodiac (the Netflix remake) is helping with the movie. In this video, the director Yoshiharu Ashino talks about it (4:30).
Is that a good thing for the movie in regards of quality?

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:55 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:08 am Which is crazy to me they already came into this movie with a losers mindset after knocking it out the park with Broly. Broly can be topped but you have to go Bigger and badder not regress. Which is why it’s strange to me when everyone is against Cooler or Janemba being brought back. These straight to home video street shark reject villains are not it. Making a great DB is not rocket science I’d wager a good majority of the fans don’t go to the movies expecting a good plot these Dragonball movies (execept for this latest one) are essentially theme park ride films ffs. Plot be dammed.
I actually think those new androids look great, and am MORE excited about this movie than I was about Broly, just because the premise seems to have so much more potential. The CGI is disappointing, but the trailers haven't looked bad at all.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:28 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:08 am Which is crazy to me they already came into this movie with a losers mindset after knocking it out the park with Broly. Broly can be topped but you have to go Bigger and badder not regress.
I don't think wanting to go in a different direction from Broly with a more plot focused film is a "loser's mindset" or a "regression", especially since one of the common criticisms of Broly was that the plot basically stopped for the long fight.

"Loser's mindset" and "regression" is just negative spin from people who hate that this isn't "Dragon Ball Super: Broly 2".
Which is why it’s strange to me when everyone is against Cooler or Janemba being brought back.
Because it would be a transparent attempt to copy the last film's gimmick instead of attempting something new. Plus Cooler and Janemba aren't as popular as Broly and so wouldn't have the kind of pull Broly has. They're popular in their own right, but nowhere near Broly's level.
I’d wager a good majority of the fans don’t go to the movies expecting a good plot these Dragonball movies (execept for this latest one) are essentially theme park ride films ffs. Plot be dammed.
The main reason most people like Super's Broly better than original Broly is because Super's Broly was more of a character thanks to having good writing behind him. You're arguing that the writing doesn't matter to most fans when it comes to Dragon Ball movies, but that expectation only exists because of the Z movies, and that's because most of them are just shallow plots and empty spectacle.

The fact that one of the most well received aspects of the Broly film was the result of good writing (and the fact that most of the criticisms of Resurrection F revolve around what many consider to be bad writing) I think shows that fans appreciate good writing in Dragon Ball films when they get it.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:43 am

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:28 am The main reason most people like Super's Broly better than original Broly is because Super's Broly was more of a character thanks to having good writing behind him. You're arguing that the writing doesn't matter to most fans when it comes to Dragon Ball movies, but that expectation only exists because of the Z movies, and that's because most of them are just shallow plots and empty spectacle.

The fact that one of the most well received aspects of the Broly film was the result of good writing (and the fact that most of the criticisms of Resurrection F revolve around what many consider to be bad writing) I think shows that fans appreciate good writing in Dragon Ball films when they get it.
Yes agreed 100%. Toriyama is a talented writer and people do expect "good writing" from Dragon Ball at this point. I think what we're seeing from fan comments like this is the flip side of Toriyama's "light touch" to writing Dragon Ball. It's sometimes so light that, when it's going well, people don't even notice it's there! There's also a lot of people who sort of just assume "good writing" means "melodrama" which, lol.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:02 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:28 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:08 am Which is crazy to me they already came into this movie with a losers mindset after knocking it out the park with Broly. Broly can be topped but you have to go Bigger and badder not regress.
I don't think wanting to go in a different direction from Broly with a more plot focused film is a "loser's mindset" or a "regression", especially since one of the common criticisms of Broly was that the plot basically stopped for the long fight.

"Loser's mindset" and "regression" is just negative spin from people who hate that this isn't "Dragon Ball Super: Broly 2".
Everything ObnoxiousNamek says about this movie is a spin on "grrrrr CGI bad!!" just in more words and a silly narrative on production choices.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:12 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:43 am
SSJgogeto wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:41 pm Seems like the staff of Knights of the Zodiac (the Netflix remake) is helping with the movie. In this video, the director Yoshiharu Ashino talks about it (4:30).
Is that a good thing for the movie in regards of quality?
https://youtu.be/RNA4E3AuGIk This is what the show looks like I’ll let you judge it for yourself but a lot of the longtime saint seiya fans were pissed :D

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:34 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:02 pm Everything ObnoxiousNamek says about this movie is a spin on "grrrrr CGI bad!!" just in more words and a silly narrative on production choices.
Judging things prematurely is the REAL loser's mindset.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:42 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:02 pm

Everything ObnoxiousNamek says about this movie is a spin on "grrrrr CGI bad!!" just in more words and a silly narrative on production choices.
I’m against bad/rushed/ 7 fps CGI which this movie has in spades. When great looking CGI shows like Arcane & Marvel’s What If series exist specifically episode 8 of the latter with the Watcher vs Ultron fight being a close example of a Dragonball-esque fight done right in CGI. It makes you wonder why this movie is lightyears away from looking as good as those shows.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:50 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:34 pm
mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:02 pm Everything ObnoxiousNamek says about this movie is a spin on "grrrrr CGI bad!!" just in more words and a silly narrative on production choices.
Judging things prematurely is the REAL loser's mindset.
Marketing is allowing the public to prematurely judge if they are interested enough to spend money to buy your product.
If people don't have enough trust in the product to satisfy their needs they should trust their judgement instead of spending money. This has nothing to with the status of the consumer. It's a matter of both taste and personal preference.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:05 pm

Jord wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:50 pm Marketing is allowing the public to prematurely judge if they are interested enough to spend money to buy your product.
If people don't have enough trust in the product to satisfy their needs they should trust their judgement instead of spending money. This has nothing to with the status of the consumer. It's a matter of both taste and personal preference.
What you're saying is true, but it does not extend to obsessively criticizing the unreleased thing based on imagined perceptions driven by uncharitable readings of, or even deliberately twisted interpretations of, said marketing.

As always, its totally fine to not be interested in something, but it's not really fine to stink up this thread with tedious, repetitive, junk posts.
Last edited by capsulecorp on Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:17 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:08 am
Skar wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:03 pm
Which is crazy to me they already came into this movie with a losers mindset after knocking it out the park with Broly. Broly can be topped but you have to go Bigger and badder not regress. Which is why it’s strange to me when everyone is against Cooler or Janemba being brought back. These straight to home video street shark reject villains are not it. Making a great DB is not rocket science I’d wager a good majority of the fans don’t go to the movies expecting a good plot these Dragonball movies (execept for this latest one) are essentially theme park ride films ffs. Plot be dammed.
The execution in Broly was good, and I think most fans were able to forgive the rehashing of the Broly character, due to him being so popular. The original Broly was cool, but had the dumbest of backstories and motivations. Toriyama's spin on the character fixed the problems with the character, and transformed him into someone who you could get invested in. Now, if TOEI decided to just continue that trend by canonizing Cooler, Janemba, and other villains, then it would become predictable. I think it's safe to say that most fans want NEW stories from Super. When we were promised a new anime with twelve whole universes to play with, I don't think any of us were thinking, "Oo! What if they retconned all the movie villains!" No. New characters, new stories, new locations. Personally, I'm kind of disappointed with how much time DBS has spent on Earth.

That being said...if the anime ever comes back, I wouldn't be totally against old villains making a comeback in some form. I just don't want entire arcs devoted to them. Cooler could work as a minor character, since Frieza is still around. You'd have to explain where he's been this whole time, and why he didn't take over Frieza's business after he disappeared for...how long was it? A decade? Maybe long ago, he and Frieza had a battle somewhere, Frieza won, and left Cooler for dead on a barren planet? Years later, he comes back to offer him a deal in exchange for his assistance? That'd be fine, but the majority of time should be spent on original ideas. Cover the Moro and Granola arcs so we get those in animated form, then do something new.