How could the anime fit around the movies? My thought experiment!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

How could the anime fit around the movies? My thought experiment!

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:19 am

Okay, so, with me and Robo's big Dragon Ball Rewatch thread concluded, I can finally share the fruits of my labour! The Rewatch was a fantastic reason for me to dive into the movies, because it allowed me to try and answer a thought experiment question I've had for a while now:

Assuming all the classic movies and specials are canon with each other, how would the anime storyline be different so they can actually happen?

The end result is my Dragon Ball Classic Movie Timeline document, which aims to answer this question. The goal was simple: bend and rework the anime storyline to allow for all the movies and specials to transpire exactly as they do on the screen (with the goal to keep the anime as close to how it normally is as possible). This was super-fun to do and I'm really happy with how I made it all happen and the various solutions I came up with.

You can read the full 30-page document in the link above, but here's the more comprehensive breakdown of how it shaked out:

Oh, and if that weren't enough, I ALSO figured out how Movies 6-13 DON'T happen in Future Trunks' Movieverse timeline!

Let me know what you guys think!!

Drepanosaurus

Re: How could the anime fit around the movies? My thought experiment!

Post by Drepanosaurus » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:32 am

It's pretty cool for an alternative timeline. There's no way any of the old DBZ movie can fit now expect for DBZ Movie 9 and Movie 13 in the main timeline now. Also, we already have a canon Broly in Super. I like to view DBZ Broly as a "What if Broly was around the same time as Goku?". Broly is more nicer and calmer in Super without Goku crying around him.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:39 pm

There is absolutely no reason to "fit" the movies in the "main" timeline when the movies were always said to take place in another dimension, which obviously means there always was another version of the anime where they can happen.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:37 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47188&p=1736875#p1736870

Grimlock asked what the special continuity problem was with the Goku Jr. Special. That problem is that it directly acknowledges GT, by showing Baby's defeat, but also a photo of Pan with Gill, Kid Goku and Trunks. What means that Dragon Ball GT happened in its history.

Why is this a problem? Because in the opening of Mystical Adventure, Tao Pai-Pai kills the Pilaf Gang, who set GT off in the first place so Goku is a kid and Pan meets Gill!

My solution to this was to dovetail it with Tien and Chiaotzu by having them gather the Dragon Balls and with the victims of Red Ribbon Army brought back to life, reviving the Pilaf Gang! I really like this solution because it also ties into Tien seeking to redeem himself, which is a big arc for him after he rejects Crane.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:51 pm

That seems less of a continuity problem and more of the GT special is supposed to occur in the main tv series timeline. Mystical Adventure does not.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:51 pm That seems less of a continuity problem and more of the GT special is supposed to occur in the main tv series timeline. Mystical Adventure does not.
Sure, but it becomes a continuity problem if you buy into the concept KBABZ was trying to deliver here. (And personally, I think it's a rather fun thought experiment)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:18 pm

It's fun to think about how the movies might fit into the main story, even if it is ultimately impossible for most of them.

It's safe to say most take place in their own respective self-contained universes, although it seems some do share a universe. Z Movie 4 has a brief flashback to Movie 3 for example, Icarus/Hiya Dragon is in both, and there's no major inconsistencies between them.

The Cooler movies are an interesting case. Movie 6 is clearly a direct sequel to Movie 5, but there are small inconsistencies. Movie 5 seems to act as if Goku came straight home from Namek, as he can't go Super Saiyan at will, he shows no sign of knowing Instant Transmission, and Gohan still has his mushroom hair. Then in Movie 6 Goku somehow knows Instant Transmission, meaning he'd had to have been to Yardrat at some point.

The Broly movies have similar issues. Movie 8 has Goku alive, with Gohan having SS1 but not 2, and the world seemingly at peace. Cell was likely killed by Goku in this universe. That's all well and good. But why is Goku dead in Movie 10 if he defeated Cell without dying prior to Movie 8?

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:45 pm

Fun idea but I don't like Vegeta killing the gang when Goku is alive, he'd fight first and they'd only jump in when Vegeta is wounded and they had another year of training. He'd be harder to forgive.

Nappa would die to Kuririns Kienzan without Vegeta actually.

Not sure why Raditz only mentions 1 saiyan or how that would work. Perhaps he just mentions Vegeta and they assume Nappa is Vegeta. Butterfly effect they hit him harder because of Movie 1 and so he struggles to speak.

Perhaps just Chaozu dying, having died twice he needs the Namek DB's.

I don't like Goku not iconically getting SS1 from Freeza. It's uneeded. Just having had slug batter him he can't control it well enough creating false SSJ maybe.

Broly vs Raichi is cool.

Doesn't really explain what happens to Cooler after Namek, maybe a run in with Broly or Raichi before the fight.

Cooler very much is like "ah I see how you beat Freeza with this" and no one contradicts him.

Don't think Vegeta would sacrifice himself for Trunks without a year together but maybe they spend their second year together instead of the first.

Buu could help with the undead invasion as if everyone dead coming back so would he as he has an excuse to be back for a day to the publics mind.

Not really sure why Spoc Yamu and the tournament need changing, all for Videls suprise at Shenron?

Dabra would kill the future androids you need to assume they took Buu's egg like they did in supers time after the androids. Or just took the egg and bailed as the human pop was low missing the androids.

Kibito being dead is I assume to keep Kibitoshin fused?

I don't know if Vegeta is kept around long enough to be revived later, why they would want to if he hasn't proved himself not "really evil" versus kid buu. But sure.

Yo Son Goku and his Friends return not being considered?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:50 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:19 am [*]The Boo Arc never happens because the strongest beings on the planet are 17 and 18, who can't have their ki extracted. They kill Babidi and his minions and then blow up his spaceship, inadvertently killing Boo before he can be awakened.
There's no way 17 and 18 could deal with Dabura lol.

Also not sure if it's a good idea to change the anime's events to fit around the movies, it'd be more fitting to change the movie's events around the anime, but maybe that's an overused option lol.

Either way, don't think it's a good idea to say Goku got false SS against Freeza, just have him get SS and just not manage to use it again easily until he does some training with it before the androids arrive.
90sDBZ wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:18 pm The Broly movies have similar issues. Movie 8 has Goku alive, with Gohan having SS1 but not 2, and the world seemingly at peace. Cell was likely killed by Goku in this universe. That's all well and good. But why is Goku dead in Movie 10 if he defeated Cell without dying prior to Movie 8?
The best way to explain Broly's first movie is to say it happens after Cell became perfect, but before Cell games, even that has its own issues, but compared to other movies, they're minor.

The hardest movies to fit are Turles', Slug's, Android 13's and Janemba's, Turles happens after saiyan saga, but it can't work with everyone else being alive, Slug somehow happens during Namek, but, they were all on Earth, and even if we say it happens after saiyan saga too, it runs into the same issue as Turles', and 13's, the only way that one could happen would be after Goku woke up, but before Vegeta and Trunks went training, which can't happen with how everyone else there is relaxed, so maybe it's a timeline where Cell didn't show up, and Janemba's, that one would have to happen when Boo was freed from Babidi and going on killing sprees, but that can't work 'cause, Boo would still be a huge threat, and Gohan shouldn't be on Earth.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:09 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:37 pmWhy is this a problem? Because in the opening of Mystical Adventure, Tao Pai-Pai kills the Pilaf Gang, who set GT off in the first place so Goku is a kid and Pan meets Gill!
What the actual fuck!? :crazy: Why, how, what, how so, is that, which (insert all other question words there exists!) would Toei deviate so, so much like that!? Even though I never watched the Dragon Ball movies, I'm extremely astonished I never knew or heard about this at all.

If that's the case, then "Mystical Adventure" (I don't even know the number of the film so I can call it properly by its number) should not be considered, it would be the first "what-if" movie ---- "what if Pilaf had died by Tao Pai Pai?". Pilaf being alive must take priority.

Either that or the solution you provided, which since I haven't watched the movie, I can't tell if it's good enough and if it doesn't deviate too much from what happens in the anime.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:25 pm

TobyS wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:45 pm Fun idea but I don't like Vegeta killing the gang when Goku is alive, he'd fight first and they'd only jump in when Vegeta is wounded and they had another year of training. He'd be harder to forgive.
This is the same Goku who let Frieza go after he killed Krillin right in front of him.
TobyS wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:45 pm Not really sure why Spoc Yamu and the tournament need changing, all for Videls suprise at Shenron?
It's also for logistics in Bio-Broly. In the anime, Trunks and Goten go from the Tournament straight to Babidi's spaceship, leaving no time for that movie to happen. By not having the Boo stuff interrupt the Tournament, that gives it the window it needs.
TobyS wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:45 pm Yo Son Goku and his Friends return not being considered?
Nope. I consider that part of the modern "revival" era, since it released a decade after GT and was digitally animated. That being said, it would easily fit in considering it doesn't contradict anything else. Would be interesting to think about how it plays out for Future Trunks, though!
Lukmendes wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:50 pm Also not sure if it's a good idea to change the anime's events to fit around the movies, it'd be more fitting to change the movie's events around the anime, but maybe that's an overused option lol.
That's not what the thought experiment is though. The idea is this: the classic movies generally don't fit in the anime. What if they were their own continuity? It's clear that SOME version of the anime's events happen before each one. So with that in mind, what do THOSE events look like?

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:16 pm

This was really cool to look over and I bet it was a ton of fun.

I actually have an ancient fanfic I've held off on because it was just too many leaps, but this is giving me motivation to try it again.

Thanks for sharing!
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:26 am

I feel like I've seen this before. Was this posted before?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:26 am

fleahop wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:16 pm This was really cool to look over and I bet it was a ton of fun.
It was! It was really fun trying to figure out how to make each one work, especially famous conundrums like World's Strongest in the Saiyan Arc and the later movies in the Boo Arc. It was also my first time watching these movies AT ALL, and I figured it out step-by-step as the Rewatch hit each one.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:54 am

This is pretty neat, definitely a lot of fun to think about, even though TOEI never expected us to :lol:.

There's no doubt the movies were intended to be self-contained stories with some having continuity between one another, although that's not unlike the Garlic junior Arc in Z assuming Z movie 1 happened. Even in the series filler has always had contradictions.
KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:26 am
fleahop wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:16 pm This was really cool to look over and I bet it was a ton of fun.
It was! It was really fun trying to figure out how to make each one work, especially famous conundrums like World's Strongest in the Saiyan Arc and the later movies in the Boo Arc. It was also my first time watching these movies AT ALL, and I figured it out step-by-step as the Rewatch hit each one.
The two main problems with World's Strongest are the two big shocks when Raditz arrived, which of course are Goku and Piccolo teaming up and the revelation Goku had a son, if neither happened then that movie could have worked with the series and allowed events to play out as normal. At one point I actually wished there was one more arc in OG Dragon Ball that showed a gradual softening of Piccolo before Z, perhaps where himself and Goku likewise had to face a common enemy, not unlike Dead Zone. In retrospect I think everyone still being terrified of Piccolo after Raditz was for the best as it made him taking Gohan and the bond they developed that much more impactful and thus removing the aforementioned revelations would have been detrimental to it, so the only way to make World's Strongest work is with a revised version of the Saiyans' arrival like you said with the gap between Nappa and Vegeta.

With the later movies you covered everything I would have done to make them work in a revised timeliness where Goku doesn't defeat Majin Boo.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:58 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:54 am
The two main problems with World's Strongest are the two big shocks when Raditz arrived, which of course are Goku and Piccolo teaming up and the revelation Goku had a son
I think you're confusing World Strongest with Dead Zone. World Strongest takes place after the Saiyan arc and conflicts with how events unfold after that arc.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:07 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:58 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:54 am
The two main problems with World's Strongest are the two big shocks when Raditz arrived, which of course are Goku and Piccolo teaming up and the revelation Goku had a son
I think you're confusing World Strongest with Dead Zone. World Strongest takes place after the Saiyan arc and conflicts with how events unfold after that arc.
I know where the movies are supposed to fit in their own respective continuities. The fact there was still some fear of Piccolo in Dead Zone whereas he was accepted in World's Strongest implies something must have happened in between for everyone's fear of him to have somewhat subsided. KBABZ's idea about the latter taking place in a revised timeliness where Nappa and Vegeta arrive separately is the best way of explaining the difference in the reactions to him in both movies. I'm just suggesting how World's Strongest could have theoretically worked before Raditz' arrival, which is another What-If entirely.

On second thought I just remembered Goku knew Kaioken (which he learned from Kaio) in World's Strongest, so that would invalidate it taking place before Raditz even without the revelations.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:30 am

Lukmendes wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:50 pm The best way to explain Broly's first movie is to say it happens after Cell became perfect, but before Cell games, even that has its own issues, but compared to other movies, they're minor.
The main issue with this is that Vegeta, Piccolo, and Trunks were all taking turns training in the Time Chamber during this period, or training at the lookout the rest of the time. Also the entire world was in a state of panic, with cities being evacuated, so the opening scene with Goku and Chi Chi attending an interview for Gohan in a crowded city doesn't make sense.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:19 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:30 am
Lukmendes wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:50 pm The best way to explain Broly's first movie is to say it happens after Cell became perfect, but before Cell games, even that has its own issues, but compared to other movies, they're minor.
The main issue with this is that Vegeta, Piccolo, and Trunks were all taking turns training in the Time Chamber during this period, or training at the lookout the rest of the time. Also the entire world was in a state of panic, with cities being evacuated, so the opening scene with Goku and Chi Chi attending an interview for Gohan in a crowded city doesn't make sense.
For me the RoSaT stuff was more easily managed (like I did with Trunks); it was the state of the world in general that I had to work around with. It's already a stretch as it is with Cell murdering thousands of people across the land, but the COVID pandemic kinda revealed how stupid people can be when it comes to pretending things are normal, and the people of Earth are meant to be dumber than US, so I guess it's not too unbelievable. But the shit hits the fan when Cell announces the Cell Games, so there was no way around that one.