Feeling dissillussioned about this fandom

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Feeling dissillussioned about this fandom

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:32 pm

I'm feeling a tad dissillussioned about the way things are going in the fandom right now. Its so toxic.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Feeling dissillussioned about this fandom

Post by Yuji » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:43 pm

Just take a step back and stop interacting so frequently with the fandom and you won't notice it.

In essence, touch grass.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:49 pm

Get away if you can. Just don't interact or look at fandom for a while. It'll do your health so much good.
Yuji wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:43 pm Just take a step back and stop interacting so frequently with the fandom and you won't notice it.

In essence, touch grass.
You don't have to use an ableist phrase like "touch grass".
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:00 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:32 pm I'm feeling a tad dissillussioned about the way things are going in the fandom right now. Its so toxic.
What are you doing, or can you do, to mitigate this?

You're under no obligation to participate in any given conversation. You're under no obligation to respond to any given person.

While there is absolutely something to be said about community management from above, I also truly believe you are individually responsible for fostering your own fandom. Don't go places that make you feel bad. Don't talk to people that make you feel bad. Don't watch things that make you feed bad.

And this isn't to say "stick your head in the sand and avoid any and all difficult conversations": you can still learn a lot and be challenged on things while also avoiding the things that drive you crazy. You are solely responsible for the people you surround yourself with.

Mute and block actively and regularly. Limit the time you spend on it. Find other aspects of the franchise -- or better yet, entirely different hobbies! -- that give you joy.

Not every aspect of every "fandom" is "for" every person. Find what you enjoy, double-down on it, and continue to explore new outlets and opportunities.

And please, please, please spend time on things other than just the one thing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:30 pm

All good advice. Thanks
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:49 pm Get away if you can. Just don't interact or look at fandom for a while. It'll do your health so much good.
Yuji wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:43 pm Just take a step back and stop interacting so frequently with the fandom and you won't notice it.

In essence, touch grass.
Please tell me you are doing a bit.

I'm a leftist who has a sympathy for like liberal representation and social justice stuff/language stuff... but like... come on that's a common parlance thing.

That's like scolding someone for telling someone to "open their eyes" as being ableist to the blind.

Even people in wheelchairs can go outside, unless we don't want to offend the Agrophobic disabled people.

This kinda thing is just self indulgent woke-scolding that alienates and prevents progress by way of people not taking any of it seriously.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:54 pm

Getting away from the fandom again for a while would be a good idea for me. I love the series but not the debates.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:28 pm

I may almost never agree with Hulk10 but man the responses to him/her have been pretty rough in this thread.

Look at almost any of the active threads here and you'll quickly see some really negative stuff. It's not just Kanzenshuu either. I understand I've participated in that as well but yeah many DB fans are pretty harsh recently. Quite a lot of negativity.

To be fair, it shouldn't get to you too bad and it's smart to spend some time taking care of yourself if you feel this way as it's only in your control. If that means avoiding this place or other communities then yeah do it. We should consider the state of the world and mental health though too, in all aspects of our lives. Telling my guy to touch grass isn't cool or funny as this was started as a serious conversation. You don't know their life.

And no offense to Mike here, as I agree with what you said, but the first things you read from Hulk10's perspective could be "What did you do to feel this way? You can leave whenever you want."

Not super friendly.

Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds (and I really shouldn't be) but directly to Hulk10, what's got you feeling this way?
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:48 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:49 pm Get away if you can. Just don't interact or look at fandom for a while. It'll do your health so much good.

In essence, touch grass.
For like the third time we have this disagreement, touch grass is not and never will be ableist.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:57 am

If you concentrate on using your time and energy to discuss particular pieces of media (or aspects of them) you like and enjoy, and why, and simply choose to ignore discussions about ones you don't, you'll find yourself inviting and interacting with a lot less negativity in general. Which goes for everything--not just Dragon Ball.

Kanzenshuu threads do have an occasional tendency to spiral into weird argumentative nonsense, but what can you do? That's there in every community and on every platform without downvoting, and on ones that do, you lose a bit of the orientation toward discussion.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:15 am

Take a break, if you can. Focus on other things, like reading books (or other manga, if you like).
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:24 am

Yuji wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:48 am

In essence, touch grass.
For like the third time we have this disagreement, touch grass is not and never will be ableist.
It is needlessly mean spirited, though
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:54 am

Can we not protract this irrelevant “touch grass” argument in this thread please? It’s confirming the OP’s grievances with the DB community, for crying out loud.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:26 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:54 am Can we not protract this irrelevant “touch grass” argument in this thread please? It’s confirming the OP’s grievances with the DB community, for crying out loud.
I'm not sure what good it is to deny that fandom is toxic. It definitely is, has been and will continue to be toxic and there's really no way of fixing that when you're discussing a large, open group of people as opposed to a small, curated community.

Like, I don't have the spoons for replying to this shit, so I'm not bothering.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:41 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:26 am I'm not sure what good it is to deny that fandom is toxic. It definitely is, has been and will continue to be toxic and there's really no way of fixing that when you're discussing a large, open group of people as opposed to a small, curated community.
Agreed. Dragon Ball's fanbase has always had an element of toxicity to it.

And it's not just Dragon Ball- The Star Wars fanbase has arguably been toxic ever since the prequels split it. And that's not even getting into the shitstorm The Last Jedi caused....

Sonic the Hedgehog has long had a reputation for having a toxic fanbase for similar reasons (2D Sonic vs. 3D Sonic being chief among them).

Then there's Ghostbusters.....Though that one actually does feel like it only recently became toxic.

Fandom has always had toxic elements, people are just becoming more aware of it now.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:59 am

I don't think sayings are meant to be taken literally so I'm not sure if they are ableist. Not heard of touch grass, but I didn't take it to be literal there more just an unplug yourself from the toxicity of the fandom.

Like touch base, despite its baseball implications doesn't necessarily apply to that and just means checking in.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:02 am

Agreed on the "let's not lose sight of the question here" by getting distracted. The points have all been made by now. It's done.
fleahop wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:28 pm And no offense to Mike here, as I agree with what you said, but the first things you read from Hulk10's perspective could be "What did you do to feel this way? You can leave whenever you want."
Thanks for the feedback.

This is a tough one, because I'm absolutely of two minds about it: (1) other people can be absolutely awful and you can't change them, and (2) it really is up to you, individually, to foster your own fandom and sense of community.

What's so tough about that is that it sounds like "you're sad and it's your fault". And that's not really where I'm coming from!

I actually see it as an empowering situation. You don't have to take shit from anyone! You can come and go as you please! From anywhere! I certainly hope it's not here that you would be considering that coming-and-going -- we really do make an incredible effort to take our own advice and foster the community we would want to be a part of! -- but I also recognize that you can't be everything to everyone, not everyone is going to like you, agree with the same ideals you hold, etc. etc. etc.

I feel like I'm saying a million things and there's a lot to unpack there. People are complicated, ya' know? I'll just reiterate and stand by my main points of "you're in charge" and "explore other interests". Being a well-rounded person can only complement and enhance the other things that you love... like Dragon Ball!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:11 am

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:41 am
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:26 am I'm not sure what good it is to deny that fandom is toxic. It definitely is, has been and will continue to be toxic and there's really no way of fixing that when you're discussing a large, open group of people as opposed to a small, curated community.
Agreed. Dragon Ball's fanbase has always had an element of toxicity to it.

And it's not just Dragon Ball- The Star Wars fanbase has arguably been toxic ever since the prequels split it. And that's not even getting into the shitstorm The Last Jedi caused....

Sonic the Hedgehog has long had a reputation for having a toxic fanbase for similar reasons (2D Sonic vs. 3D Sonic being chief among them).

Then there's Ghostbusters.....Though that one actually does feel like it only recently became toxic.

Fandom has always had toxic elements, people are just becoming more aware of it now.
Yeah, fandoms in general just have these problems. I've been interacting with on forums since 1998 and the older I've gotten the more I've come to see how fandom is at the whim of people whose entire identity is being mad over some dumb pop culture shit. I used to give a shit about dub versus sub shit and wasted countless hours on posts that did nothing but actively made my mental and physical health worse. All so I win sone dumb game of 'being right'. It's why I've tried to make my fandom less stressful by seeing the potential in things and being open-minded since transitioning. Albeit, I'm sure to others I've just become a bitch but hell, at least I'm not complaining about stupid shit like a spoiled asshole anymore. :shrug:

So, to circle back, I suggest just getting away from general fandom. Enjoy your fandom but don't feel obligated to share it unless you know how to avoid the loud assholes who make fandom a nightmare.
She/Her
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:34 am

Are there any fandoms out there with absolute unity across the board? I'm sure conversations get pretty passionate even with the Dungeons and Dragons community (not sure why i mentioned them but still).
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:22 am

Would you like to share what exactly has you feeling like this? I agree with the rest, though, just unwind and do something else if possible, hang out with people you care, and care about you, too. A hobbie could be a good alternative. Maybe spend time with yourself.

However, I do not agree that is THIS fandom, or fandoms in general that are toxic. People are, societies are, so it's not like you can exit the DB fandom and go have a nice time with the SW fandom or whatever. I mean, social media is basically hell. Internet kinda sucks, and the real world isn't much better either.