Feeling dissillussioned about this fandom

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Feeling dissillussioned about this fandom

Post by Yuji » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:04 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:24 am
Yuji wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:48 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:49 pm Get away if you can. Just don't interact or look at fandom for a while. It'll do your health so much good.

You don't have to use an ableist phrase like "touch grass".
For like the third time we have this disagreement, touch grass is not and never will be ableist.
It is needlessly mean spirited, though
In that context I was obviously being playful but I'll take the L if it didn't come across in text that way.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:32 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:32 pm I'm feeling a tad dissillussioned about the way things are going in the fandom right now. Its so toxic.

Are going right now? It's been like this for a decade, at least.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:40 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:41 am
Then there's Ghostbusters.....Though that one actually does feel like it only recently became toxic.
Really? That's a somewhat unpleasant surprise as a Ghostbusters fan myself
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:53 pm

Ehem... there is war going on, there is a petrolium and gas crisis and basic living expenses have increased about 35% in the past 6 months which has created many changes globally, locally and yes it seems that also into online communities :think:

Dragon Ball it is a very much important part of my life. It hurts to see the fans so segregated into two groups: PRO DBSuper and VS DBSuper. Yes we have people who hate on DBGT but it's mainly those two groups the ones who create the "toxic" enviroment.

Think about it, the origin of all fights comes from disagreement on those two canon lines that are so messed up...

we should all be tollerant, that is what Goku would have wanted.

In the mean time, I do my own Dragon Ball stuff at my DA account, deviantart, the social media for artists that no one respects...

sigh...

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:01 pm

When a fanbase receives controversial content its toxicity definitely rises, as those who are fine with the content clash with those who don't like it.

In the Dragon Ball fanbase we currently have:

Toyotarou's DBS Manga: people don't like that it coes out monthly, aren't fans of his artwork, hate the pacing, always brings up tired talking points as to what's canon or not.

DBS Super Hero: Years after Broly comes out and blows everyone away with it's sublime action and animation, we get a CG movie, that's more slice of life than action, bring back the Red Ribbon Army... AGAIN

The Dragon Ball community is in a weird place right now, perhaps we're on the downswing of the Ressurection Era of Dragon Ball and that's making some of us feel uneasy in regards to the franchise going forward.
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:49 pm You don't have to use an ableist phrase like "touch grass".
Putting this in my signature, holy shit wtf :lol:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:07 pm

I kinda get where you're coming from, unfortunately. I would probably recommend elaborating more on exactly what the issue is, though. "Toxic" is a nice word to get an overall feel of what you mean and all, but it doesn't actually explain too much.
For me, there's this feeling that things have kinda gone a bit stale. You see the same kind of discussions take place again and again, the same jokes keep getting made, the same praises and the same complaints. You see the same fights between the same groups (fans of a character vs fans of another character, GT fans vs Super fans, that kind of thing) happen over and over. It gets old.
I've got two main tips for handling this kind of thing. First off, use your blocks, ignores, mutes and filters. There's no shame in shutting out sources of constant negativity. (Calling them out might seem like a good idea, but it doesn't tend to actually lead anywhere.) Secondly, if necessary, take a step back and engage less. It's fine to just be a big fan of something, you don't have any obligation to interact with any part of that something's fandom if you don't want to. (This is what I mainly do. I like looking at fan art, taking a look at new content as it releases, and reading some Kanzenshuu threads without necessarily posting very much. That kind of approach works for me, at least.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:13 pm

There's nothing particularly different about all the stuff you just mentioned, The Monkey King, and the original, contemporary release of the series, with an original manga, a television series adaptation adding and changing things, non-canonical movies, miscellaneous off-shoots like video games, etc. Even all of the arguments about canon, what V-Jump says, what the Daizenshuu say, etc. etc. etc. is aalllllll exactly the same as it ever was.

It's really just same shit, different day in that regard.

The only real difference is the amount of conversation. It's no longer just in-person with your friends, at conventions, via email, and on Usenet. Now you're somehow getting push notifications from Billy Bob in Bumblefuck telling you to kill yourself because you said you like Gohan.

But again, to my point that I keep making, you're ultimately in control of all this. You can choose who to engage with, mute and block, where you go, where you don't go, which specific platforms, etc. It's way harder than it was when I got into this nonsense in 1996, absolutely 1000% I'll never try to convince you otherwise... but you still do have control at the end of the day. Exercise that control!!!

Another thing I don't think I've mentioned yet is that you might want to find new aspects about the franchise to get interested and invested in. Part of why I'm still here after all this time is that I want to learn something new every day, and there's just SO. MUCH. STUFF. to learn about with Dragon Ball! I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched an episode of the show, but I truly do learn something new every single day, and that makes me smile and fall in love with it all over again.

(I also firmly hold the belief that strength comparisons/arguments/etc. are inherently toxic and detrimental to your own fandom, and should be avoided and ultimately shelved entirely if you want to stay in this game for the long-term... but that's a topic a lot of people aren't interested in having!)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:15 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:40 pm
Then there's Ghostbusters.....Though that one actually does feel like it only recently became toxic.
Have you not been around the Ghostbusters fandom in 2016 when they released they film with the female protagonists? So many sexist morons and pearl-clutchers spoke out in that year.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:36 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:15 pm
Have you not been around the Ghostbusters fandom in 2016 when they released they film with the female protagonists?
No?? I was, like, 8 years old; 3rd grade me wasn't chatting with grown-ass adults about Ghostbusters. As a 14 year old now, I personally think that 2016 Ghostbusters wasn't that bad, but they could've been much better. Don't even give a shit that they're women.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:46 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:36 pm

Have you not been around the Ghostbusters fandom in 2016 when they released they film with the female protagonists?
No?? I was, like, 8 years old; 3rd grade me wasn't chatting with grown-ass adults about Ghostbusters. As a 14 year old now, I personally think that 2016 Ghostbusters wasn't that bad, but they could've been much better. Don't even give a shit that they're women.
You were born at the right time, buddy lol. I am not a Ghostbusters fan and even I had to interact with the shitstorm of the 2016 film's controversy in online spaces (specifically in YouTube). Lots of meninists jumping on the "go woke go broke" bandwagon there.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:09 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:46 pm

You were born at the right time, buddy lol. I am not a Ghostbusters fan and even I had to interact with the shitstorm of the 2016 film's controversy in online spaces (specifically in YouTube). Lots of meninists jumping on the "go woke go broke" bandwagon there.
To be fair, other side was the same, when James "AVGN" Rolfe made video, he just said "I'm not gonna watch it, trailer sucked, and those are not my Ghostbusters" and was attacked for it https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/fash ... tacks.html
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:22 pm

coola wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:09 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:46 pm

To be fair, other side was the same, when James "AVGN" Rolfe made video, he just said "I'm not gonna watch it, trailer sucked, and those are not my Ghostbusters" and was attacked for it https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/fash ... tacks.html
These things are absolutely not comparable at all.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:25 pm

Losing the thread a bit here, folks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:34 pm

Alruneia wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:07 pm I kinda get where you're coming from, unfortunately. I would probably recommend elaborating more on exactly what the issue is, though. "Toxic" is a nice word to get an overall feel of what you mean and all, but it doesn't actually explain too much.
For me, there's this feeling that things have kinda gone a bit stale. You see the same kind of discussions take place again and again, the same jokes keep getting made, the same praises and the same complaints. You see the same fights between the same groups (fans of a character vs fans of another character, GT fans vs Super fans, that kind of thing) happen over and over. It gets old.
I've got two main tips for handling this kind of thing. First off, use your blocks, ignores, mutes and filters. There's no shame in shutting out sources of constant negativity. (Calling them out might seem like a good idea, but it doesn't tend to actually lead anywhere.) Secondly, if necessary, take a step back and engage less. It's fine to just be a big fan of something, you don't have any obligation to interact with any part of that something's fandom if you don't want to. (This is what I mainly do. I like looking at fan art, taking a look at new content as it releases, and reading some Kanzenshuu threads without necessarily posting very much. That kind of approach works for me, at least.)
I try to do that too. But what sparked my post was the ethinicity of characters in the show like Kakarot, Vegeta and the other Saiyans as well as Tien, Yamcha, Bulma, Krillin, 18, 17 and others that debate is getting real nasty I'm concerned. That and the strength debate is also silly.
I personally love DBS now and I love the SSJ4 of DBGT and I love the DBH too. The shows and the games I love as well as many of the fanart. But what I don't like is how unreasonable people can be when they are debating things. So it occurs to me that I should avoid the debates and trust my own educated views.

Perhaps it may be time to close this thread.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:55 pm

I'm hardly here, but might as well throw in my own 2 cents: You can't please everyone you interact with. And that's perfectly fine

I've been running a fan page for almost 4 years now, and I get shit all the time. A couple of weeks ago I started a mini-war because I just mentioned how the Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Z split was only made for the anime adaptations. My goal was to inform other fans that DB and DBZ was all just one story, and to maybe encourage more fans to watch the original anime if they didn't (since the following I get is more on the casual side). Instead I ended up with dozens of people in the comments fighting over whether or not the split happened because of a change in tone post-23rd tournament.

Fun stuff. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't let other people's arguments bother you. I kinda just stayed back and watched the fire. At the end of the day, your opinion is yours alone. When things heat up more than I anticipated, I just move on to the next thing

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:41 pm

As a newcomer to this forum, I understand the OP's feelings. It can be frustrating when threads are constantly derailed by trolls, fanatics or just stubborn, emotional people with their own agendas (and I freely admit, I'm probably one of them myself, sometimes :D)

I know moderation is a thankless and profitless job, but I wonder if it'd be helpful to be more liberal with the bans and warnings, for example bopping people just for baiting and shitposting as opposed to waiting until they cross a more dramatic line?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:55 am

There are always some rotten apples in every fandom, steering topics towards causes or subjects unrelated to the show or topic.
You can't avoid them, even on this forum.
Best thing to do is focus on the more positive people in the fandom and ignore those rotten apples.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:56 am

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:13 pm (I also firmly hold the belief that strength comparisons/arguments/etc. are inherently toxic and detrimental to your own fandom, and should be avoided and ultimately shelved entirely if you want to stay in this game for the long-term... but that's a topic a lot of people aren't interested in having!)
If you feel that's the case, what's stopping you from banning them? It's your website. Put the idea to the test for a month or two, at least.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:55 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:13 pm (I also firmly hold the belief that strength comparisons/arguments/etc. are inherently toxic and detrimental to your own fandom, and should be avoided and ultimately shelved entirely if you want to stay in this game for the long-term... but that's a topic a lot of people aren't interested in having!)
I can agree to that, I can remember before DBZ Yo Son Goku Ova existed how heated the Kid Buu vs Super Buu debate used to get and the SSJ3 Goku vs Ultimate Gohan. Even now that hasn't changed with DBS such as Broly vs Jiren. People used to get banned due to that reason.

However the difference between DB/DBZ and DBS is that in DB/DBZ we know who the characters trains with and what the hype are. In DBS we don't know anything except for Goku and Vegeta. The others when we get information, I can't say I am impressed. Krillin gym training and Buu training with Mr Satan doesn't say exciting to me.

Freeza four month training isn't bad in itself, however beating only a weakling isn't exciting.
Yuji wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:56 am
If you feel that's the case, what's stopping you from banning them? It's your website. Put the idea to the test for a month or two, at least.
In another website the moderator did do that idea, there was a time discussion about Kid Buu vs Super Buu and Ultimate Gohan vs SSJ3 Goku was banned. However the problem with that idea is that it limits discussion and those that wants to have friendly discussion wouldn't be allowed.

Same with SSJ Vegito Buu Saga vs SSG Goku BoG that got banned due to getting out of control until things settled down.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:09 pm

I've said this before: but at some point, we need to be able to recognize that at the end of the day...

This is a fucking cartoon.

I don't mean that disparagingly. But I find too often that toxicity occurs when people in groups make liking a thing part of their personality. That any criticism is meet with anger and fury, and often leads to the sort of stuff that ends up making the news. I love Dragon Ball, and will always appreciate Toriyama for introducing me to anime.

But at the end of the day--it's just a cartoon. Shit is not that serious.