Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:22 pm

FatLee wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:11 pm
Jord wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:14 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:14 pm

Sorry, can't type right now, I'm watching Super on the street with thousands of people and my internet is crashing for some reason.
You can say whatever you want but it got cancelled. The DBS anime was a product. It would not be cancelled if it was making the profit they were aiming for. Economics 101.
Financial reports after it's cancellation confirmed that the brand didn't need the DBS anime to make a hefty profit.

Other than the fact that Broly released in 2019 in theatres worldwide, you're not really all that correct: https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon ... opularity/
Well, yeah. But if you move the goal post over here...

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:31 pm

So... the movie was delayed, is there a date yet? I'm all for that if it serves to improvement, but I don't think it will.

I don't see Bra nor Marron in the new poster, I guess that sadly they won't get new designs.

Based on what we just saw, it appears that the latent power dormant inside Piccolo has been unleashed, giving rise to a brand-new form for the Namekian warrior!
I have mixed feelings about this new form of Piccolo, sure it's cool to make him somewhat power revelant again, but after all these years and with enemies that don't seem that much of a big deal? I sure would like this to happen in the U6 arc or in the ToP not in throway movie like someone said before.

Also the method could be related to that "Namekian Book of Legends" but nah, guess they will come the excuse "He trained really hard" and that's it.
Jackalope89 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:28 pm
I noted an inconsistency in these posters regarding Yajirobe height, did they decided if he either taller than Bulma or a dwarf?
Kataphrut wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:32 pm The debate about what’s canon between the Super anime and manga is kind of laughable when going off the movies. I think the movies should be treated the same as most anime movies: simple, self-contained stories that can be enjoyed by any casual fan whether or not they’re invested in the ongoing series.
Sorry, but your logic falls flat considering all the movies that came in 2013 and afterwards had Toriyama involvement (with two of them being adapted in DBS anime and the later two being direct sequels). It's not like we're in the 90's having two movies per year that we had to do hard mental gymnastics to include in the main story.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:43 pm

The movie will come out 20 April 2069, of course.

Honestly wouldn't mind delaying the release until December. Might as well mess around as long as they can.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:47 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:22 pm

You can say whatever you want but it got cancelled. The DBS anime was a product. It would not be cancelled if it was making the profit they were aiming for. Economics 101.
Financial reports after it's cancellation confirmed that the brand didn't need the DBS anime to make a hefty profit.

Other than the fact that Broly released in 2019 in theatres worldwide, you're not really all that correct: https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon ... opularity/
Well, yeah. But if you move the goal post over here...
Keep in mind you guys are arguing with Jord, a guy who has literally NEVER argued in good faith on here.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:32 am

Grimlock wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:45 pm Come on, give up on that nonsensical idea already. And I'm sure they throw all kinds of fanservice in the other series you mentioned too, especially the latest one.
To the degree that Heroes does? I don't think so. I've had my problems with Super, but it's way more grounded than Heroes. Heroes can basically be summarized as, "Hey, what if ___ fought ___? That'd be cool. Oh, and let's give all the Saiyan characters SS3 and SS4."

The story doesn't matter. It's the equivalent of a child playing with their toys. Which is fine, but best kept separate. I prefer the main series be at least somewhat grounded.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:11 pm

There's no such thing as "degree". Fanservice is fanservice. There's no difference in giving Saiyans the Super Saiyan forms and bringing old characters back, or "what if X fought Y". Dragon Ball Heroes giving Super Saiyan 3 to other characters is just as good or bad as Dragon Ball Super adding its many recolors.

Either fanservice is good or it is bad. You can have your preferences, but they matter little, because your preference is not someone else's preference. And discussing opinions is pointless and a waste of everybody's time.

The "story" (if there is such a thing) indeed doesn't matter, which is why we keep getting the very same formulaic sagas one after the other, it's the only thing the "main series", as you call it, can produce. These are all products with their own ups and downs, complaining about fanservice while targeting only one of these products is unfair when everything else does the exact same.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:04 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:11 pm There's no such thing as "degree". Fanservice is fanservice. There's no difference in giving Saiyans the Super Saiyan forms and bringing old characters back, or "what if X fought Y". Dragon Ball Heroes giving Super Saiyan 3 to other characters is just as good or bad as Dragon Ball Super adding its many recolors.

Either fanservice is good or it is bad. You can have your preferences, but they matter little, because your preference is not someone else's preference. And discussing opinions is pointless and a waste of everybody's time.

The "story" (if there is such a thing) indeed doesn't matter, which is why we keep getting the very same formulaic sagas one after the other, it's the only thing the "main series", as you call it, can produce. These are all products with their own ups and downs, complaining about fanservice while targeting only one of these products is unfair when everything else does the exact same.
Uh... No? There is quite a wide range when it comes to fanservice. There's good fanservice and bad fanservice. If it serves the story and feels natural, and it is executed well, it's good fanservice. When Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield showed up in No Way Home, that was definitely fanservice. Was it good? Yes. Or to stick to a Dragon Ball example, the Dragon Ball Super: Broly was pure fanservice. It takes the most popular movie villain and canonizes them for Super. I was skeptical of the movie immediately, but the execution in my opinion was good enough that I ended up not minding it. It wasn't on the same level as No Way Home, but it was still good.

On the other hand, if the fanservice makes no sense, and it only exists as a lazy, cheap way to grab attention, then it's bad fanservice. Super has moments of bad fanservice, IMO, like when Goku decided to change back into his Z gi, for no reason. I mean, he's training under an angel, and he's going to go back to his Turtle Hermit gi? Why wasn't Whis offended by that? But whatever. It's not super important, just a bit distracting.

I'd argue Heroes is in a space between, in part because of the expectations I have going into it. I don't expect compelling storytelling when it comes to Heroes. The story literally doesn't matter. The series exists solely to provide fanservice (and advertise the game of the same name), so it's fine. If Heroes type content started showing up in Super, that'd destroy my ability to keep it seriously.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:20 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:14 pm

Sorry, can't type right now, I'm watching Super on the street with thousands of people and my internet is crashing for some reason.

I'm specifically talking about the anime series. Once they cancelled it, the brand didn't lose much money. In part due to the movie of course, but if they "needed" the anime for financial brand success they would have brought it back already.

Broly was a massive success and making yearly movies instead of a way more expensive anime seemed like a good way to go imo.

Talking about the delay I'm honestly surprised we didn't even get a quarter in which they plan to release the movie. I think perhaps summer but until we know the true extend of the damage that has been done, it all remains guesswork.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:06 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:26 pm I think what people want and expect from additional DBS films is more of those kinds of unexpected, exciting, visually appealing new Toriyama-created characters... and at least for me, the DBS Super Hero androids do fit the bill, far more than more Toei characters would.
They're literally just a copy/homage of Cyborg-009. Right down to the gun.

All I'm seeing are memberberries. Just frankensteining together parts from things they've already done and from other series entirely, and going "here, look at the new thing!" I personally am tired of the resets and tired of thinking backwards. I wanted to see them move forward and explore more of the universe and not just going to next fight. A time skip isn't the same as moving forward if you're just repeating the same character development as before.

I also don't care to see Piccolo getting a so-called "transformation" this late in the game. He never had one before. He fused with Nail and Kame and that was it. Should've given him Kaioken ages ago instead of keeping it a Goku thing. After Goku got SSJ, Piccolo and the other Z-team should've learned Kaioken to compensate for their lack of racial transformations. If Piccolo were to get one, it should've happened a long, long time ago. Maybe as late as the ToP. At this point, it's just way too late.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:19 am

Kaiou-ken is dumb, so no. Come up with something new and does not add arbitrary multipliers that make writing battles a headache.

Dragon Ball has always shamelessly stolen shit from other art. Copying Cyborg 009 is literally no different.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:53 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:19 am Dragon Ball has always shamelessly stolen shit from other art. Copying Cyborg 009 is literally no different.
e

Star Wars was an influence, A16 looked like the Terminator, 19 and 20 looked like Pinocchio and Ghepetto, the literal MC is the Monkey King,….
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:55 am

Of the things I know about, Dragon Ball has taken inspiration from A Journey to the West (being originally an adaptation of it), Superman (with Goku's backstory involving him being an alien sent from a planet, moments before its destruction), and Terminator (time traveler is sent back to prevent humanoid robots from destroying the world).

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:53 am

From official account:

https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... bZGxziRlkQ

DBS: Broly will premiere on Fuji TV on 16th April, after this, a special video explaining the highlights of the DBS: SUPER HERO will be broadcasted.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:01 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:53 am From official account:

https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... bZGxziRlkQ

DBS: Broly will premiere on Fuji TV on 16th April, after this, a special video explaining the highlights of the DBS: SUPER HERO will be broadcasted.
That's what's up!

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:40 pm

I hope the next trailer has the main song of the movie, it has been a while since I listened to something hype from an anime.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:31 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:53 am A16 looked like the Terminator
Does Major Metallitron mean nothing to you?
ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:55 am Of the things I know about, Dragon Ball has taken inspiration from A Journey to the West (being originally an adaptation of it), Superman (with Goku's backstory involving him being an alien sent from a planet, moments before its destruction), and Terminator (time traveler is sent back to prevent humanoid robots from destroying the world).
Also Blade Runner (Androids 17&18). And Frankenstein's Monster (Android 8, aka Eighter).

But here's the thing people miss. Many creators can be inspired by something and make something their own. Bubblegum Crisis was also inspired by Blade Runner and they made it their own. Same with Armitage the III and many other properties. This, however, is just repeating history. It isn't simply about pulling from Cyborg-009, it's the fact they're just re-tapping the same dry well as before. More androids, more Red Ribbon Army and ripping plot points from the older DBZ films. It's just blatantly admitting that they have no new ideas and they don't know what to do to move forward.

We already had 17&18 for the ToP, plus more androids and robuts in the ToP, plus them back again for Moro. Not including yet another android with Seven-Three. And THEN showing a clone force of Seven-Three's with the start of the Granolah arc. There is such a thing as over-saturation. That's not even going back to counter the Super Android 13 movie. Which at least was relevant at the time to the RRA and androids.

I said this before. A time skip doesn't mean they're moving forward. Not when they're repeating character development and story points. They're just going in circles and calling it forward momentum.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:03 pm

Zelvin wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:31 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:53 am A16 looked like the Terminator
Does Major Metallitron mean nothing to you?
ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:55 am Of the things I know about, Dragon Ball has taken inspiration from A Journey to the West (being originally an adaptation of it), Superman (with Goku's backstory involving him being an alien sent from a planet, moments before its destruction), and Terminator (time traveler is sent back to prevent humanoid robots from destroying the world).
Also Blade Runner (Androids 17&18). And Frankenstein's Monster (Android 8, aka Eighter).

But here's the thing people miss. Many creators can be inspired by something and make something their own. Bubblegum Crisis was also inspired by Blade Runner and they made it their own. Same with Armitage the III and many other properties. This, however, is just repeating history. It isn't simply about pulling from Cyborg-009, it's the fact they're just re-tapping the same dry well as before. More androids, more Red Ribbon Army and ripping plot points from the older DBZ films. It's just blatantly admitting that they have no new ideas and they don't know what to do to move forward.

We already had 17&18 for the ToP, plus more androids and robuts in the ToP, plus them back again for Moro. Not including yet another android with Seven-Three. And THEN showing a clone force of Seven-Three's with the start of the Granolah arc. There is such a thing as over-saturation. That's not even going back to counter the Super Android 13 movie. Which at least was relevant at the time to the RRA and androids.

I said this before. A time skip doesn't mean they're moving forward. Not when they're repeating character development and story points. They're just going in circles and calling it forward momentum.
I was limiting myself to story structure, mostly. Not just references.

Yeah, the movie does seem to be repeating some old ideas, but let's not be overly critical of it. We don't know the whole plot of the movie. We're just spotting some patterns from the trailers. Toei is taking some risks, not just with the CGI, but by focusing on characters other than Goku and Vegeta. They very easily could have just given us "Broly Part 2," or "Dragon Ball Super: Cooler," but they chose to focus on Gohan, Piccolo, and Pan. No Gogeta to stir up hype. No Ultra Instinct (as far as we know). They're focusing more on slice-of-life stuff this time around, likely full of that Toriyama brand humor.

I do find it a little frustrating how Super in general doesn't make the most of their potential, however. They started off strong with Beerus, giving us an entire multiverse to play with. Then they followed that up by bringing Frieza back from the dead as nostalgia bait. The most original story was the Future Trunks arc, and the most they've made use of the multiverse was with the Tournament of Power, which was ambitious for the number of new characters they had to introduce, but it was basically just another tournament. The Broly movie was good, but it didn't really give us anything new, being a readaptation of the first Broly movie, plus some Dragon Ball Minus stuff at the beginning.

At least we have the manga, although certain fans have decided they hate it for some reason. It gives us original and interesting characters, new settings, and actual stakes, but the fans blow out of proportion every artistic decision they disagree with.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:34 am

First look at Gotenks.

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:39 am

So I’m perfectly fine with Trunks having blue hair… but at least be consistent and give Gotenks blue hair on the sides as well. So weird.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:54 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:39 am So I’m perfectly fine with Trunks having blue hair… but at least be consistent and give Gotenks blue hair on the sides as well. So weird.
Exactly.... it's nonsense.
I hope they'll fix it.