Asian characters in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Asian characters in Dragon Ball

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:34 am

coeper2000 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:47 am the word saiyan also came from the word asian , goku has always been a asian superhero with a tail , he is based on monkey king who is also asian
Best comment ever. It's incorrect, but this is still great lol

I think that it's reasonable to assume that a manga/anime that came from Japan--which is overwhelmingly Asian (98% Japanese, mind you)--intended to have its main protagonists resemble Japanese people. Otherwise, you know, the clothing and architecture would suggest the same.

But who has a problem with this? I understand children who fantasy cast people that they're used to, but is anyone really raising a big stink over this

white people stop dreaming , only superman is white
Only Superman is white? I don't think that's quite correct either...

Drepanosaurus

Post by Drepanosaurus » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:38 am

Nappa and Tullece are the only Saiyans that I consider non-Asian looking. I always imagine Tullece being a native american looking character due to his darker looking skin.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:09 am

Drepanosaurus wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:38 am Nappa and Tullece are the only Saiyans that I consider non-Asian looking. I always imagine Tullece being a native american looking character due to his darker looking skin.
Does he not look like Goku with slightly darker skin? Could he not be Asian? Also, why Nappa? Does he have particular traits that differ him from other characters who "look Asian"?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:32 am

Drepanosaurus wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:38 am Nappa and Tullece are the only Saiyans that I consider non-Asian looking. I always imagine Tullece being a native american looking character due to his darker looking skin.
Wut

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:34 pm

Nappa being consistently excluded has always been a head-scratcher. What, are there not asian people with big muscles and mustaches either??? It seems like a generation of people my age just became so bizarrely fixated on "Nappa = Bill Goldberg" that their brain is turned off from anything else.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:40 pm

To me, unless the writer/creator specifically makes note of a character's background, I'm going to assume all characters are from the country the media comes from. Japanese animation is really the only one that doesn't disticntly make the character models look like them even when all characters are supposed to be japanese living in japan. The only time you can even be 83% sure they're not supposed to be japanese is when an anime character had blue eyes and blond hair ... and then someone has to mention they're from germany or sweden or england or wherevr.

In the specific case of Dragon Ball, it takes place in a fantasy world. One with dinosuars roaming around the countryside and a dog ruler over everything. And in the city, people live in round buildings, animal people living alongside "human" people and capsule corp capsules exist with massive storage space that can fit in the palm of your hand. Where an alien from another planet saw a posting for the job of God of that planet and decided to apply.

Did Toriyama ever state that when creating any of these characters he wanted to them represent anything specific from our world?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:28 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:40 pm To me, unless the writer/creator specifically makes note of a character's background, I'm going to assume all characters are from the country the media comes from. Japanese animation is really the only one that doesn't disticntly make the character models look like them even when all characters are supposed to be japanese living in japan. The only time you can even be 83% sure they're not supposed to be japanese is when an anime character had blue eyes and blond hair ... and then someone has to mention they're from germany or sweden or england or wherevr.

In the specific case of Dragon Ball, it takes place in a fantasy world. One with dinosuars roaming around the countryside and a dog ruler over everything. And in the city, people live in round buildings, animal people living alongside "human" people and capsule corp capsules exist with massive storage space that can fit in the palm of your hand. Where an alien from another planet saw a posting for the job of God of that planet and decided to apply.

Did Toriyama ever state that when creating any of these characters he wanted to them represent anything specific from our world?
No he didn't. And I think this ethincity debate is silly.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:47 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:40 pm .

A fantasy world that is distinctively East Asian.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:47 pm

Yes. Is there some official rules on what can be fantasy?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:43 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:25 pm

No, but there is some common sense and cultural respect.

Dragon Ball is a work written by a Japanese author in a world steeped in Asian iconography with a basic premise and main character ripped from an Asian folktale through the lens of a popular genre of Asian cinema. It stands to reason that if somebody were doing an adaptation, they'd ought to preserve as much of its cultural ID as possible.

Let's look at it like this. Say you have a series written by an Irish author. It's setting isn't our Earth, but it's a mix of the modern world and old folksy Ireland. It's main character is based on some Leprachuan from a folk tale with a character design modeled after Connor McGregor but with goofy hair. A third of a way into the story, he's revealed to be an alien from a race of guys who all have the same leprechaun characteristics and abilities.

And then in an adaptation, someone casts him as a Spanish guy because HeS nOt hUMaN hE hAs nO rAcE. That would be pretty ridiculous, right? Why pluck this guy who fir all intents and purposes is a fantastical mascot of Irish culture AWAY from said culture.

Author intent and cultural background matter, especially when the story is so steeped in it. It's important that a country as diverse as America doesn't whitewash its imports.

Remember: Dragon Ball was never made for us (Us being Westerners). We just hopped on the bandwagon.
Cold World (Fanfic)

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:50 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:43 pm

Dragon Ball is a work written by a Japanese author in a world steeped in Asian iconography with a basic premise and main character ripped from an Asian folktale through the lens of a popular genre of Asian cinema. It stands to reason that if somebody were doing an adaptation, they'd ought to preserve as much of its cultural ID as possible.

Let's look at it like this. Say you have a series written by an Irish author. It's setting isn't our Earth, but it's a mix of the modern world and old folksy Ireland. It's main character is based on some Leprachuan from a folk tale with a character design modeled after Connor McGregor but with goofy hair. A third of a way into the story, he's revealed to be an alien from a race of guys who all have the same leprechaun characteristics and abilities.

And then in an adaptation, someone casts him as a Spanish guy because HeS nOt hUMaN hE hAs nO rAcE. That would be pretty ridiculous, right? Why pluck this guy who fir all intents and purposes is a fantastical mascot of Irish culture AWAY from said culture.

Author intent and cultural background matter, especially when the story is so steeped in it. It's important that a country as diverse as America doesn't whitewash its imports.

Remember: Dragon Ball was never made for us (Us being Westerners). We just hopped on the bandwagon.
Agreed. I always think you can think of any different race and culture for your characters all you want, but it's tricky. Dont get butthurt and hate on said characters and author when they are still in development and characterization consisting of very distinctive cultural and racial contexts and implications that you don't understand.

Vegeta and Chichi are the prime examples of whose cultural contexts being completely ignored and twisted, because unlike Goku they are traditional and strict. Only difference is Vegeta's strong personality is viewed in a very Western len, so the "Western" version of him is celebrated in fandom (both Japanese and American). I have never seen an American like him as much as a VERY brutal, archaic Japanese warlord who has traditional Japanese views of society (family is an extension of himself, his classism and pride ect). While Chichi's more passionate mother traits are like universally treated as negative, and much more so in the Western fandom, because Asians can get that about her and her marriage better (even if Goku really didnt kiss her, which i believe is untrue, my mom and dad belongs the generation of Asians when kissing on the lips is still a foreign, embarrassing thing)
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:08 pm

Aren't those chinese wuxia movies that heavily influenced this series chinese fantasy? Also, aren't all the mystical abilities of the characters fantasy? Isn't channelling you inner power to create energy blasts and fly in the air fantasy?

Star Wars, with it's people moving things with their mind and creating lightning through their fingers, and laser swords, is consider fantasy, but not Dragon Ball?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:31 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:08 pm

Aren't those chinese wuxia movies that heavily influenced this series chinese fantasy? Also, aren't all the mystical abilities of the characters fantasy? Isn't channelling you inner power to create energy blasts and fly in the air fantasy?

Star Wars, with it's people moving things with their mind and creating lightning through their fingers, and laser swords, is consider fantasy, but not Dragon Ball?
...what exactly are you trying to argue here? That just because it's fantasy, it makes it okay to erase the REAL culture that goes into it? That would of course be ridiculous and narcisstic.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:33 pm

JewyB wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:47 am
The setting looks Chinese at first glance, but it’s actually an entirely fictional locale. The era is all over the place! And I think that’s fine. That’s because I can draw what I like, and whatever it turns into is fine! In other words, it’s “anything goes”, my specialty.
-Akira Toriyama, 'The Making Of Dragon Ball', 1984
JewyB wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:22 am
Jaetinh wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:29 am Yeah it's a fictional world just like how Avatar the last Airbender is a fictional world. Doesn't mean we can't tell what the races of the characters are supposed to represent.
In 6 pages of talk about Toriyama's intentions, it was the first quote taken from him, and you immediately took the chance to argue with it.

The creator said "anything goes", not "Asian goes", in regards to world setting, which would further extend to the characters within that world. Personally i would take that to mean that the characters can be asian, black, white, mexican, pokemon, ambiguous children's cartoon characters, maybe even aliens, but it doesn't imply they can't be any.

Also, ATLA's demographic can be argued easily in good faith, because they too, are ambiguously drawn cartoon characters, who have been places in an Asian setting, but within a fictional world, not a fictional Asia.

Personally though i just wanted to drop in with an actual quote from the creator, because after 6 pages of people talking about what he intended, i figured it would be nice to hear his words on the matter from when he created it, as opposed to restrospective conjecture. There's a whole website full of interviews and resources connected to this website, use them, especially if you're going to use your arguments to accuse people of racism, although i hope that track has ended now.

Anyways, that was my two cents, i dipped into this more than i wanted to in the first place. Laters.
I agree with both of these statements.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:09 am

It's not just about the setting. It doesn't matter if the world is fictional or not.

Most of the characters are supposed to be Asian. Goku, Yamcha, Roshi, Chichi, Kuririn and so on are all drawn as Asians. That's how the Asian race is often depicted in manga/anime. It's not like in series such as Naruto or Sailor Moon, where the characters are drawn as White people.

Casting a non-Asian for any of those particular DB roles would be a serious mistake, with serious consequences.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:44 am

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:09 am It's not just about the setting. It doesn't matter if the world is fictional or not.

Most of the characters are supposed to be Asian. Goku, Yamcha, Roshi, Chichi, Kuririn and so on are all drawn as Asians. That's how the Asian race is often depicted in manga/anime. It's not like in series such as Naruto or Sailor Moon, where the characters are drawn as White people..
So close to a good take then you had to just ruin it at the end.

Neither Naruto or Sailor Moon draw their characters as white people. They're drawn in a standard manga art style. Both series are explicitly Japanese with characters who are unabashedly Japanese Like the fuck?

Here's a helpful tip for everyone. If a manga/anime series is set in East Asia...the characters are East Asian unless otherwise stated regardless of what you think they look like. If the manga or anime is set in a fantasy world but it has parallels to our own but the characters behave or dress in a way that indicates they're Asian also assume the same.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:42 am

setsuna meioh, and haruka tenoh, famously drawn as explicitly White People.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:45 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:44 am
MyVisionity wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:09 am Most of the characters are supposed to be Asian. Goku, Yamcha, Roshi, Chichi, Kuririn and so on are all drawn as Asians. That's how the Asian race is often depicted in manga/anime. It's not like in series such as Naruto or Sailor Moon, where the characters are drawn as White people..
Neither Naruto or Sailor Moon draw their characters as white people. They're drawn in a standard manga art style. Both series are explicitly Japanese with characters who are unabashedly Japanese Like the fuck?
Nope. They are drawn as White people.

They aren't supposed to actually *be* White people within the story (at least for Sailor Moon), but they are drawn as White people. Of course everything else about them might be Japanese.

Unlike in DB, where most of the main characters are drawn in the Asian style.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:20 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:45 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:44 am
MyVisionity wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:09 am Most of the characters are supposed to be Asian. Goku, Yamcha, Roshi, Chichi, Kuririn and so on are all drawn as Asians. That's how the Asian race is often depicted in manga/anime. It's not like in series such as Naruto or Sailor Moon, where the characters are drawn as White people..
Nope. They are drawn as White people.

They aren't supposed to actually *be* White people within the story (at least for Sailor Moon), but they are drawn as White people. Of course everything else about them might be Japanese.

Unlike in DB, where most of the main characters are drawn in the Asian style.
Oh give me a break.

They're not drawn as white people. You're just pulling arguments out of your ass like you always do

Ten na nGael

Post by Ten na nGael » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:46 am

Having watched the show first in subs years ago and then reading the manga I actually never thought of Nappa for example as "white" since he looked similar to muscly underlings in many other anime. I more thought of him as looking like a Yakuza strong man/bodyguard.

In general I will say that "White" and "Black" are more terms I associate with America, I don't really see myself as "white" for example even though that's what an American would call me. So that's partly why I wouldn't categorise characters in this way.