All Bulma has left are old lady jokes

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

All Bulma has left are old lady jokes

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:26 pm

It's really sad.

That particular joke was okay when it started in Battle of Gods, but they kept up through DBS and the successive films and it's just not funny now, to me anyway.

Bulma is old, but still pretty. But all she cares about is being younger for herself. She even collected the Dragon Balls to look younger, but she can't look too young because people will notice and complain, despite it being what she wants to start with.

The time machine episode in DBS was a fun episode to me, it gave Bulma a goal and put her in trouble trying to achieve it. She tried to build a forbidden time machine, and went to lengths like summoning Shenron for parts and bribing Android 18. And then it got shot down by Beerus who found out about it. That was a great way to make Bulma funny, and I wish it was more of that instead of Christmas cake jokes.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Re: All Bulma has left are old lady jokes

Post by fleahop » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:42 pm

Yeah Toriyama is both less risque and somehow more narrow-minded and set in his ways at the same time. The older he's gotten the more we've seen him be the worst of both worlds when writing his female characters. Especially the mainstays. It's a shame and really brings the franchise down.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:03 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:26 pmThat particular joke was okay when it started in Battle of Gods,
It wasn't. It ultimately culminated in a plot hole, Bulma is not thirty eight years old in the movie. It was a bad joke from all angles you see it.
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:26 pmbut they kept up through DBS and the successive films and it's just not funny now, to me anyway.
Another continuous "joke" I noticed was: Whis asks if Goku wants to be a God of Destruction )---> Goku denies it )---> Beerus pissed off.

This happens in all three movies. We know it's not going anywhere. It's not funny. I don't even think it's supposed to be funny. So what's the point in repeating this moment? (And there's a good chance it will happen yet again in the next movie. We might as well have to endure Freeza and his stupid wish to be taller for years to come).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:47 am

Grimlock wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:03 pm Another continuous "joke" I noticed was: Whis asks if Goku wants to be a God of Destruction )---> Goku denies it )---> Beerus pissed off.

This happens in all three movies. We know it's not going anywhere. It's not funny.
I didn't even remember that happened in RoF.

Whis also asks Goku why he wants to become stronger in Broly, which I'm pretty sure that's asked in BoG (By Beerus at least), thought I'm not sure if that was in RoF... If it was, man, what a weird recurring question.
I don't even think it's supposed to be funny. So what's the point in repeating this moment?
Maybe to restablish the kind of character Goku is everytime.

Also I get the feeling that Boo will have a joke that's related to him being asleep again, 'cause that one seems to be a favorite...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:38 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:47 amI didn't even remember that happened in RoF.
I shouldn't remember either (especially Movie 15), I only do because I watched all the three movies in sequence last year.
Lukmendes wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:47 amMaybe to restablish the kind of character Goku is everytime.

Also I get the feeling that Boo will have a joke that's related to him being asleep again, 'cause that one seems to be a favorite...
You gotta love and respect these recurring things, and you can't get enough of them. :roll:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:41 pm

How so? Bulma doesn't even look old anymore! I don't get who's behind this direction (probably Toriyama himself) but I dislike how her recent character design and Super overall make her look like she's teenager again! I know that young characters has more appeal to the viewers, but having Bulma to look young as in the very first arc in the series is a blatant inconsistency.

Keep in mind that Super Hero is only a few years before EoZ and Bulma doesn't look even close like this:

乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:08 pm

Noah wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:41 pm How so? Bulma doesn't even look old anymore! I don't get who's behind this direction (probably Toriyama himself) but I dislike how her recent character design and Super overall make her look like she's teenager again! I know that young characters has more appeal to the viewers, but having Bulma to look young as in the very first arc in the series is a blatant inconsistency.

Keep in mind that Super Hero is only a few years before EoZ and Bulma doesn't look even close like this:

I mean the hairstyle is 90% of the reason she looks old there and that kind of hairstyle has fallen out of fashion after the 90s. The animators can add that one wrinkle and she'll still look younger with a more modern hairstyle.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:14 pm

Zuno measures moment, people.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:15 pm

Old lady jokes written by men aren't funny and it really sucks that society thinks commenting on women in general is funny. Our patriarchal society has made being feminine or being women a 'bad' thing and that really sucks.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:41 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:15 pm Old lady jokes written by men aren't funny and it really sucks that society thinks commenting on women in general is funny. Our patriarchal society has made being feminine or being women a 'bad' thing and that really sucks.
One teacher in university even mentioned, that in grade school pics grandma is showed in pics as granny glued to her chair, while next pic showed badass and proud looking grandpa in military uniform...

With second part, i politely disagree, seeing how many people dislike Abby or Aloy in new Horizon, who look manly and muscular...
Last edited by coola on Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:42 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:14 pm Zuno measures moment, people.
Like anyone cared about Bulma's "canonical" cup size anyways...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:08 pm

coola wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:41 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:15 pm Old lady jokes written by men aren't funny and it really sucks that society thinks commenting on women in general is funny. Our patriarchal society has made being feminine or being women a 'bad' thing and that really sucks.
One teacher in university even mentioned, that in grade school pics grandma is showed in pics as granny glued to her chair, while next pic showed badass and proud looking grandpa in military uniform...

With second part, i politely disagree, seeing how many people dislike Abby or Aloy in new Horizon, who look manly and muscular...
You're literally describing the Catch-22 that patriarchy thrusts on us women.

If we don't conform to gender stereotypes we're bitchy and undesirable. If we do conform to gender stereotypes we're weak and our words and ideas are to be ignored. Yet society expects us to be the latter and harasses us for failing to meet those standards.

Like, Toriyama is outright shouting from the rooftops "lol old bitches aren't good for a fuck am i rite?"
She/Her
bisexual milf

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:25 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:42 pm
I don't too, but it was another comedy moment starring Bulma. I noticed it more than that ageing issue.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:35 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:08 pm

If we don't conform to gender stereotypes we're bitchy and undesirable. If we do conform to gender stereotypes we're weak and our words and ideas are to be ignored. Yet society expects us to be the latter and harasses us for failing to meet those standards.

Like, Toriyama is outright shouting from the rooftops "lol old bitches aren't good for a fuck am i rite?"
The patriarchy doesn't exist outside the perception of your personal life. If you feel somehow restrained, try find the actual reasons, not abstractions you can attach to everything.
Toriyama isn't shouting nothing alike.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:42 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:35 pm

The patriarchy doesn't exist outside the perception of your personal life. If you feel somehow restrained, try find the actual reasons, not abstractions you can attach to everything.
Keep your gaslighting to yourself hon, thanks.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:27 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:35 pm

Just like how ableism doesn't impact my day to day life and being told some things aren't just meant for me if I'm having issues due to my disability.

Seriously, you have to live some absolute privilaged life if you can't see how so many things are normalized and how it impacts so many people in life, ranging from sexism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, ageism, etc., and when many of us call out shit in media that normalizes it, we get push back.

Media impacts us in many ways, normalizes things, and can cause significant internalized issues for many of us. On top of that, you saying the patriarchy doesn't exist is being ridiculous. Women are still at a disadvantage, many tropes and depictions of women in media are still day old age tropes (Dragon Ball Super also literally had a sexual assault joke that was normalized in 2016/17 and Roshi's training of sexually assaulting Puar over and over again to "reduce his urges" is fucking gross, I'm sorry).

If you want to see how harmful these depictions are on people, notably younger ones, literally read this article that goes over a petition to Shueisha about the problematic content (sexual assault, sexualization of minors/women, etc.) that normalized behaviors and shit:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... mp/.163133

Seriously, get out of here with this.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:42 pm

I dunno. Trying to restore her youth and fretting about being old seems exactly in line with Bulma's character. She's always been portrayed as both a super genius and quite superficial at the same time. Consider her initial plans for the Dragonballs during the Emperor Pilaf story arc (strawberries, boyfriends). Bulma being up for that kind of treatment is hardly a new development. Perhaps it's a part of the series you're not so fond of, but Bulma's superficial qualities are consistently up for a joke. I would agree that they've dragged out this particular incarnation of it long enough, but to really finish that sort of story, you'd have Bulma actually get her wish and then somehow realize that looking younger has downsides. I don't think Dragonball is committed to that sort of character resolution though.

Hey, at least Bulma gets to still be an active character because she's a super genius. Oolong also has an even more superficial personality (which is what makes a lot of their interactions in the first arc funny), but without the utilitarian qualities.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:52 pm

Regarder wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:42 pm I dunno. Trying to restore her youth and fretting about being old seems exactly in line with Bulma's character. She's always been portrayed as both a super genius and quite superficial at the same time. Consider her initial plans for the Dragonballs during the Emperor Pilaf story arc (strawberries, boyfriends). Bulma being up for that kind of treatment is hardly a new development. Perhaps it's a part of the series you're not so fond of, but Bulma's superficial qualities are consistently up for a joke. I would agree that they've dragged out this particular incarnation of it long enough, but to really finish that sort of story, you'd have Bulma actually get her wish and then somehow realize that looking younger has downsides. I don't think Dragonball is committed to that sort of character resolution though.

Hey, at least Bulma gets to still be an active character because she's a super genius. Oolong also has an even more superficial personality (which is what makes a lot of their interactions in the first arc funny), but without the utilitarian qualities.
The issue is not the fiction, it's the real people making it. The real people in question are men, many of which do not have a track record of being good allies. This isn't a case of a woman writing a vain woman as an extension of herself, it's a case of all female characters sounding like they're written as if they're space aliens.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:52 pm
Regarder wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:42 pm I dunno. Trying to restore her youth and fretting about being old seems exactly in line with Bulma's character. She's always been portrayed as both a super genius and quite superficial at the same time. Consider her initial plans for the Dragonballs during the Emperor Pilaf story arc (strawberries, boyfriends). Bulma being up for that kind of treatment is hardly a new development. Perhaps it's a part of the series you're not so fond of, but Bulma's superficial qualities are consistently up for a joke. I would agree that they've dragged out this particular incarnation of it long enough, but to really finish that sort of story, you'd have Bulma actually get her wish and then somehow realize that looking younger has downsides. I don't think Dragonball is committed to that sort of character resolution though.

The issue is not the fiction, it's the real people making it. The real people in question are men, many of which do not have a track record of being good allies. This isn't a case of a woman writing a vain woman as an extension of herself, it's a case of all female characters sounding like they're written as if they're space aliens.
I'm responding to what was explicitly advanced in the opening post that this is all Bulma has left. I don't have much of an opinion on the politics stuff that has followed. If you think all female characters sound like they're written by space aliens then maybe you could put pressure on the creators, get together a petition or something, post it on twitter etc. Maybe run for office if you think it'll help.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:04 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:25 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:42 pm
I don't too, but it was another comedy moment starring Bulma. I noticed it more than that ageing issue.
There was a comment about them sagging.

It was absolutely an aging joke.