Asian characters in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Asian characters in Dragon Ball

Post by Zephyr » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:41 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:32 pmCaucasian features are Caucasian features, no matter what.
What are these alleged "Caucasian features"?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:57 am

Zephyr wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:41 am
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:32 pmCaucasian features are Caucasian features, no matter what.
Big Disney animation inspired eyes.
coeper2000 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:50 am
Jaetinh wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:07 am

master roshi is also asian

chi chi is asian too

mercenary tao is asian too

cabba is asian

goku asian

vegeta asian

raditz asian

bardock asian

gine asian

caulifa asian

goten asian

gohan asian

master shen is asian too and many more lol
Now you're plain spamming, stop it.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:40 pm

I was primarily referring to the blonde hair and blue eyes with regards to Sailor Moon and Naruto.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:42 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:40 pm
I was primarily referring to the blonde hair and blue eyes with regards to Sailor Moon and Naruto.
Which means absolutely nothing in series where characters have natural blue and pink hair.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:49 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:42 pm
Which means absolutely nothing in series where characters have natural blue and pink hair.
The blue and pink hair does not negate the blonde hair/blue eyes. They are still Caucasian features right alongside the fantasy features.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:05 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:49 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:42 pm

The blue and pink hair does not negate the blonde hair/blue eyes. They are still Caucasian features right alongside the fantasy features.
But the point is its anime where hair color and eye color is anything goes. Neither Sailor Moon nor Naruto's mangaka seriously went "hmmmm I'm drawing my Japanese characters like they're Caucasian!" To argue they're being drawn as white people because of their blonde hair is ignoring that other characters have hair color that no human has. Usagi and Naruto are Japanese characters being drawn with blonde hair and its the same principle as Chibi Usa and Sakura being drawn with pink hair. You're trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:26 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:05 pm But the point is its anime where hair color and eye color is anything goes. Neither Sailor Moon nor Naruto's mangaka seriously went "hmmmm I'm drawing my Japanese characters like they're Caucasian!" To argue they're being drawn as white people because of their blonde hair is ignoring that other characters have hair color that no human has. Usagi and Naruto are Japanese characters being drawn with blonde hair and its the same principle as Chibi Usa and Sakura being drawn with pink hair. You're trying to force a square peg in a round hole.
Even assuming that the author didn't actually intend to draw them as White people, they still ended up drawing them as White people. That happens regardless of any intentions. The fantastical hair colors don't change anything. Usagi and Naruto are still Japanese characters being drawn as Caucasian, while Chibi-usa and Sakura are Japanese characters drawn as fantasy-types.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:25 pm

have you ever made a good point in 15 years+ of posting
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

coeper2000

Post by coeper2000 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:17 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:57 am
Big Disney animation inspired eyes.
coeper2000 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:50 am
Jaetinh wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:07 am

master roshi is also asian

chi chi is asian too

mercenary tao is asian too

cabba is asian

goku asian

vegeta asian

raditz asian

bardock asian

gine asian

caulifa asian

goten asian

gohan asian

master shen is asian too and many more lol
Now you're plain spamming, stop it.

nah bro , they are asian

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:10 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:26 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:05 pm But the point is its anime where hair color and eye color is anything goes. Neither Sailor Moon nor Naruto's mangaka seriously went "hmmmm I'm drawing my Japanese characters like they're Caucasian!" To argue they're being drawn as white people because of their blonde hair is ignoring that other characters have hair color that no human has. Usagi and Naruto are Japanese characters being drawn with blonde hair and its the same principle as Chibi Usa and Sakura being drawn with pink hair. You're trying to force a square peg in a round hole.
Even assuming that the author didn't actually intend to draw them as White people, they still ended up drawing them as White people. That happens regardless of any intentions. The fantastical hair colors don't change anything. Usagi and Naruto are still Japanese characters being drawn as Caucasian, while Chibi-usa and Sakura are Japanese characters drawn as fantasy-types.
If they're Japanese but they inexplicably have "non-Japanese hair/eye colors", such as blonde hair/blue eyes, then surely that itself is "fantastical"?

Then again, if we wanted to plug in Real World Science™, then anyone at any time could be born with a mutation that gives them blonde hair and/or blue eyes. That's one factor in reproduction that allows for evolution to occur within populations in the first place. "Caucasian People™" don't have some essential or universal claim over certain phenotypes.

But also, blonde hair in particular isn't even from the Caucasus Mountains, or Europe. From Wikipedia:
Ancient DNA analysis (ADNA) has revealed that the oldest fossil known to carry the derived KITLG allele, which is responsible for blond hair in modern Europeans, is a 17,000 year old Ancient North Eurasian specimen from eastern Siberia.
Geneticist David Reich said that the hundreds of millions of copies of this SNP, the classic European blond hair mutation, entered continental Europe by way of a massive population migration from the Eurasian steppe, by a people who had substantial Ancient North Eurasian ancestry.
What is "Ancient North Eurasian" ancestry? Let's look:
In archaeogenetics, the term Ancient North Eurasian (often abbreviated as ANE) is the name given to an ancestral West Eurasian component that represents descent from the people similar to the Mal'ta–Buret' culture and populations closely related to them
The ANE lineage is defined by association with the MA-1, or "Mal'ta boy", the remains of an individual who lived during the Last Glacial Maximum, 24,000 years ago in central Siberia
Populations genetically similar to MA-1 were an important genetic contributor to Native Americans, Europeans, Central Asians, South Asians, and some East Asian groups (such as the Ainu people), in order of significance.

---

So it's logically possible for East Asian individuals to be born with blonde hair. These traits are not immutably and inherently "Caucasian features". It is not inherently contradictory as it's being framed. Maybe Usagi and Naruto have blonde Ainu ancestors who in turn had blonde Mal'ta ancestors. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

While blue eyes don't seem to go as far back, nothing in the real world precludes the mutation that gave rise to blue eyes coming about again. Similar traits mutating in different places at different points in time is what is known as convergent evolution. If Takeuchi or Kishimoto actually cared about "explaining" these "fantastical" eye and hair colors, they definitely could using real world science. And it wouldn't make the main characters of their works any less Japanese.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:20 am

Even assuming that the author didn't actually intend to draw them as White people
We don't have to assume we know.
they still ended up drawing them as White people.
They drew them as characters with blonde hair and blue eyes. Because its manga.
The fantastical hair colors don't change anything.
Of course it doesn't change anything. But not for the reason you think.
Usagi and Naruto are still Japanese characters being drawn as Caucasian
Say those first 7 words but slower until you get it.

They're Japanese characters.

They're not being drawn as caucasian. Because they're Japanese.
while Chibi-usa and Sakura are Japanese characters drawn as fantasy-types.
Logical consistency has always been your Achilles Heel

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:50 pm

Zephyr wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:10 am If they're Japanese but they inexplicably have "non-Japanese hair/eye colors", such as blonde hair/blue eyes, then surely that itself is "fantastical"?
Of course it is, it's a cartoon. Manga/anime style can include a mixture of real world and fantasy elements.

Zephyr wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:10 am Then again, if we wanted to plug in Real World Science™, then anyone at any time could be born with a mutation that gives them blonde hair and/or blue eyes. That's one factor in reproduction that allows for evolution to occur within populations in the first place. "Caucasian People™" don't have some essential or universal claim over certain phenotypes.
I was praying that no one would attempt to bring in evolutionary science and rare genetic mutations into the discussion. I appreciate the knowledge and information, but this kind of logic and reasoning is largely irrelevant at best and extremely misguided at worst. No offense.

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:20 am
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:26 pm Even assuming that the author didn't actually intend to draw them as White people
We don't have to assume we know.
I don't think we know this at all.

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:20 am
Usagi and Naruto are still Japanese characters being drawn as Caucasian
They're not being drawn as caucasian. Because they're Japanese.
Not mutually exclusive. They are both.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:11 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:50 pm

I don't think we know this at all.

We do though. They're Japanese characters living in Japan ergo they're not being drawn as caucasian.

You're arguing we don't know if 2+2=4 because the answer you get is 5.

Not mutually exclusive.
They are though 😀

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:14 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:50 pmthis kind of logic and reasoning is largely irrelevant at best and extremely misguided at worst.
How so?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:11 pm They're Japanese characters living in Japan ergo they're not being drawn as caucasian.
You can draw anything in any way you want to. If you're writing about Japanese characters living in Japan, but happen to draw them as Caucasian, then that's what you're doing.

We know that they have Caucasian features because we can see it on the page/screen.

Zephyr wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:14 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:50 pmthis kind of logic and reasoning is largely irrelevant at best and extremely misguided at worst.
How so?
Because I think that it should be obvious to begin with that no one is considering anything about rare genetic phenotypes and such, neither we or the author. It's an irrational assumption and expectation, and a dramatic leap in logic in my view. Maybe it's just me, but it seems far beyond the realm of appropriate reasoning.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:28 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:57 pmBecause I think that it should be obvious to begin with that no one is considering anything about rare genetic phenotypes and such, neither we or the author. It's an irrational assumption and expectation, and a dramatic leap in logic in my view. Maybe it's just me, but it seems far beyond the realm of appropriate reasoning.
That's all fine, but I was trying to help you understand why the claim "blonde hair is a Caucasian feature" is false.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:45 pm

Zephyr wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:28 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:57 pmBecause I think that it should be obvious to begin with that no one is considering anything about rare genetic phenotypes and such, neither we or the author. It's an irrational assumption and expectation, and a dramatic leap in logic in my view. Maybe it's just me, but it seems far beyond the realm of appropriate reasoning.
That's all fine, but I was trying to help you understand why the claim "blonde hair is a Caucasian feature" is false.
It's not a false claim. It is a true claim. Blonde hair/blue eyes is a Caucasian feature. I understand that there can be mutations or rare circumstances, but that point is not relevant. It's a predominantly Caucasian feature. This sort of logic is extreme and beyond the scope of this discussion.

Ten na nGael

Post by Ten na nGael » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:51 am

There's plenty of videos on youtube where Japanese people are asked what ethnicity various anime characters are and almost immediately say blond haired Disney-eyed characters are Japanese. Just have a look at the channel of "That Japanese Man Yuta". Sometimes they correct themselves, but it's to say "No wait, she looks Vietnamese". Sometimes when the character is literally meant to be European they still think they're half-Japanese. So personally I think the vast majority of characters in Dragonball are Japanese or occasionally Chinese.

Even more interesting to me is that sometimes the ethnicity Japanese viewers assign to characters isn't even something I'd come up with, like "He looks Turko-Mongol" etc.

coeper2000

Post by coeper2000 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:40 am

Zephyr wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:10 am
If they're Japanese but they inexplicably have "non-Japanese hair/eye colors", such as blonde hair/blue eyes, then surely that itself is "fantastical"?

Then again, if we wanted to plug in Real World Science™, then anyone at any time could be born with a mutation that gives them blonde hair and/or blue eyes. That's one factor in reproduction that allows for evolution to occur within populations in the first place. "Caucasian People™" don't have some essential or universal claim over certain phenotypes.

But also, blonde hair in particular isn't even from the Caucasus Mountains, or Europe. From Wikipedia:
Ancient DNA analysis (ADNA) has revealed that the oldest fossil known to carry the derived KITLG allele, which is responsible for blond hair in modern Europeans, is a 17,000 year old Ancient North Eurasian specimen from eastern Siberia.
Geneticist David Reich said that the hundreds of millions of copies of this SNP, the classic European blond hair mutation, entered continental Europe by way of a massive population migration from the Eurasian steppe, by a people who had substantial Ancient North Eurasian ancestry.
What is "Ancient North Eurasian" ancestry? Let's look:
In archaeogenetics, the term Ancient North Eurasian (often abbreviated as ANE) is the name given to an ancestral West Eurasian component that represents descent from the people similar to the Mal'ta–Buret' culture and populations closely related to them
The ANE lineage is defined by association with the MA-1, or "Mal'ta boy", the remains of an individual who lived during the Last Glacial Maximum, 24,000 years ago in central Siberia
Populations genetically similar to MA-1 were an important genetic contributor to Native Americans, Europeans, Central Asians, South Asians, and some East Asian groups (such as the Ainu people), in order of significance.

---

So it's logically possible for East Asian individuals to be born with blonde hair. These traits are not immutably and inherently "Caucasian features". It is not inherently contradictory as it's being framed. Maybe Usagi and Naruto have blonde Ainu ancestors who in turn had blonde Mal'ta ancestors. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

While blue eyes don't seem to go as far back, nothing in the real world precludes the mutation that gave rise to blue eyes coming about again. Similar traits mutating in different places at different points in time is what is known as convergent evolution. If Takeuchi or Kishimoto actually cared about "explaining" these "fantastical" eye and hair colors, they definitely could using real world science. And it wouldn't make the main characters of their works any less Japanese.

------

well most anime have to have a certain fantasy look , you can also see it with other characters , most black people in animes have white hair , like killer bee , or Sphintus Carmen , even black people in street fighter tend to have white hair , even though black people look much different in real life , sasuke and all uchihas are straight up asian