Furious voice actors

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Furious voice actors

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:28 pm

Last month on a app called Fakeyou they got the voices of mexican VAs for Goku and Vegeta.

What you may not know is that in Mexico comic conventions are sort of a profitable business and Mario and Rene still get invited quite often to those kind of events. To make the long story short they make a living from that and they also do these little "jobs" in which they get paypal or bank account deposits from people from all of latin america that pays them to say phrases such as "happy birthday" and the name of whoever is paying, or sometimes silly dialogues or even spicy things because you know, it's mexico :wink:
so when that came out they became very upset about it and demanded whatsapp to remove it....

I have only been in the DB english spoken community for about two years (and only on the little spare time that I have) so I would not know if other voice actors do that in another parts of the world. I mean to charge for saying audio phrases.

What are your opinions on the matter?

Do they have the right to be upset? Or are their voices some sort of childhood treasure at this point and we have the right to get it without paying?

Do you think that would happen with the VAs from other nationalities?

Read a note here:
https://www.bullfrag.com/the-voices-of- ... -whatsapp/

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Furious voice actors

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:40 pm

So, upon looking at the article you brought up, I see that Fakeyou is not an app where you can request voice actors to say certain things for a fee (which is fine, that's like what Cameo is over here), but rather, an artificial voice synthesizer. Apps like these are a huge topic of discussion in the VO world right now, at least on the English side of things. Long story short, voice actors (mostly) don't like them. They hate them, actually...and rightly so.

Voice actors make their living through their voice (and, well, their acting). Their voice is their product. So if an AI app is giving out their product for free, that's basically stealing from the voice actors. In some circumstances, voice actors have permitted apps to use their voices (usually with monetary compensation involved), and that's a different scenario. If the voice actor gave permission, then that's legally OK...and I hope they were compensated well.

However, there have been other voice synthesizer apps that have sampled voices without consent of either the actor or the IP owners...which is very, very illegal. Not to mention immoral, as it is both stealing from the actor and using an element of their likeness without permission. I don't have a clue about how the Mexican legal system works, so maybe Mario and Rene are out of luck there...but if this was taking place in the US, then yes, they'd have grounds for a successful lawsuit.

That said, it's something that voice actors--in all countries--are going to have to contend with at some point in the (somewhat close) future. Synthesized AI voices are getting better and better, and quickly. This could--theoretically--result in the elimination of traditional dubs. In other words, in the future, Toei could one day say, "No more paying humans to dub, we're just going to use an app to synthesize the Japanese voice actors in another language." So, if you want to listen to a future Dragon Ball show with the Japanese voice cast, but hear them speaking their dialogue in English...that could very well be possible one day, and sooner rather than later.

Whether that's an exciting development or a tragic one depends on who you talk to. Some say it'll be a cool way to bridge the language gap, and others say it's just an excuse to save money by putting tons of actors, writers, engineers, and directors--across many different countries--out of work. I'm firmly in the latter camp. I could go on and on about the many reasons why. The shortest possible answer I can give is that I think dubbing is an art, and it would be sad to see an entire art form eliminated purely in the interest of saving money.

Anyway, I'll include some links on some notable developments on this issue below. That's the long version of my post. The short version is: yes, I think Mario and Rene are perfectly right to want their voices taken off the app, especially since they didn't give permission for their likeness to be used.

(PS/NOTABLE INCIDENTS:
-Bev Standing, the original English AI voice of TikTok, actually sued TikTok over unauthorized usage of her voice. It was settled amicably out of court because TikTok provided convincing evidence that it was the result of an honest mistake because they hired a third-party company to handle the AI voice, and they agreed to stop using Bev's voice.

-Here's a particularly tricky one. Dreamworks told one of the voice actors in Boss Baby that he could not voice lines using his character's voice on Cameo, an app where he was being paid to say certain lines that fans requested. They said that the character he was voicing was their intellectual property, not his, so he was not allowed to say lines as his character on Cameo. However, Dreamworks then partnered with an AI company to create an AI synthesizer of that character's voice, which fans can pay for over Cameo.)
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:37 am

Interesting topic. Reminds me of an interview with Scott Weinger, where he said that he indeed gets royalties from being Aladdin's voice but that Disney can just synthesize his voice using AI. He seemed pretty happy with it. (To bring this back to Dragon ball, the Japanese VA for Zamasu is the Japanese VA for Aladdin, lol.)

I think this is a trend that will happen more and more in the future and I bet new VA contracts are already including clauses that cover this thing. I'm not sure what I think of of it. On the one hand, if it can "recreate" a perfect Nozawa after she's gone, it would beat having a bad replacement VA. On the other hand, I can't seem to think this will lead to losing some charm and flexibility.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:44 am

Jord wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:37 amOn the one hand, if it can "recreate" a perfect Nozawa after she's gone, it would beat having a bad replacement VA. On the other hand, I can't seem to think this will lead to losing some charm and flexibility.
I don't think we will ever have a "perfect" Nozawa, her voice is so synonymous with Goku, and Dragon Ball itself that nothing could ever touch it. We will likely see a new Goku when Nozawa inevitably passes away, that will have the potential to be a close second. I do think that TOEI will go out of their way to ensure that it is a damn solid recast though (if they do decide to carry on using humans), as it will be in their best interests to have a true heir that can carry on Nozawa's legacy and honour what she's done in carrying the performance forward.

As for AI voicework, from what I've heard the believability of artificially created voices varies, in some cases it lacks the nuance of recording actors performances, in other cases the technology has come close to replicating every possible facet of voice acting (emotion, inflections, etc.).

I do empathize with anyone in the VA industry, I'm not a voice actor myself, but like TheBlackPaladin I see it (and dubbing, which is a skill in itself because it's very technical) as an art form that should be preserved, and it would be a shame for anyone's livelihood to be negatively impacted in the name of corporate penny-pinching.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:26 pm

Jord wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:37 am I think this is a trend that will happen more and more in the future and I bet new VA contracts are already including clauses that cover this thing.
Non-union contracts are all over the place in terms of standards. Some are quite good, even better than union contracts, but many are not. So, whether there are clauses in non-union contracts will be up to the foresight of whoever writes and signs those contracts. On the union level, though, yes, clauses are currently being written. In some cases, they've already been enacted. The most recent SAG-AFTRA dubbing agreement has a clause specifically saying that an English dub actor's performance is not allowed to be used in (or modified by) AI in any way without both prior approval from the actor and a monetary compensation structure that the actor agrees to.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:44 am I don't think we will ever have a "perfect" Nozawa, her voice is so synonymous with Goku, and Dragon Ball itself that nothing could ever touch it. We will likely see a new Goku when Nozawa inevitably passes away, that will have the potential to be a close second. I do think that TOEI will go out of their way to ensure that it is a damn solid recast though (if they do decide to carry on using humans), as it will be in their best interests to have a true heir that can carry on Nozawa's legacy and honour what she's done in carrying the performance forward.
I sure hope so! Using a human recast would be infinitely preferable over using an AI of Masako Nozawa's voice. Among the many reasons I hate AI voices is that it's insulting to the actor to say, "Eh, whatever, this app that a computer programmer with no love for the source material came up with is just as good as the human actor who loves the source material." In my view, it'd be insulting to Nozawa's contributions to Dragon Ball to use an AI of her voice because, even if it sounded like her, it wouldn't be her. It'd be equating her incredible performance to something that a soulless computer can reproduce.

On the inevitable and tragic day when Masako Nozawa passes away, the best way to honor her would be to acknowledge that nobody can play Masako Nozawa's Goku...better than Masako Nozawa herself, and to pass the torch to a new actress who can do her own take on the character.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:22 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:28 pm I would not know if other voice actors do that in another parts of the world. I mean to charge for saying audio phrases.
Exactly right, this text to speech app could have potentially affected the “happy birthday” little gigs and everything else like you mention, so it’s great they made it be taken down before it got abused.
And yes, it’s totally ilegal. You can’t just use a celebrity’s image for profit without an image rights consent form. They’re celebrity voice actors. Their voice and their name is their “image”. This app inviting people to their patreon is potential profit, so yeah. Not right.

Regarding your question, with acting being a freelance job and dubbing being paid as poorly at is, yes, voice actors in other countries depend on "gigs" too, it's just not being done as much as in this case as far as I know, with the recording of little messages for fans on a regular basis. Voice actor's 'celebrity status' in other countries (apart from Nozawa) doesn’t come close to the magnitude of how it became in Mexico, you probably know that. Also Mario and Rene are just extremely approachable for doing these things lol, Mario especially.
Do they have the right to be upset? Or are their voices some sort of childhood treasure at this point and we have the right to get it without paying?
This question kinda reflects the disconnect between celebrity voice actors and (many) fans regarding this sort of thing. I mean, yeah? They have become a cultural icon, that doesn't mean people have rights over their product. People who think they’re exaggerating about the voice app and that it's just harmless fun, same as the critiques about the whole Mario and Rene charging for autographs, is people being clueless about what's fair morally and legally in this job. Fans basically live in their world lol. They have a hard time reconciling the fact that as fun as it should be for the VAs to entertain them and play along, it’s literally a job and there's an order in which things function in this business in the same way as in any other.

Jord

Post by Jord » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:01 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:26 pm
Jord wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:37 am I think this is a trend that will happen more and more in the future and I bet new VA contracts are already including clauses that cover this thing.
Non-union contracts are all over the place in terms of standards. Some are quite good, even better than union contracts, but many are not. So, whether there are clauses in non-union contracts will be up to the foresight of whoever writes and signs those contracts. On the union level, though, yes, clauses are currently being written. In some cases, they've already been enacted. The most recent SAG-AFTRA dubbing agreement has a clause specifically saying that an English dub actor's performance is not allowed to be used in (or modified by) AI in any way without both prior approval from the actor and a monetary compensation structure that the actor agrees to.
That is super interesting to know. Thanks for sharing.
I sure hope so! Using a human recast would be infinitely preferable over using an AI of Masako Nozawa's voice. Among the many reasons I hate AI voices is that it's insulting to the actor to say, "Eh, whatever, this app that a computer programmer with no love for the source material came up with is just as good as the human actor who loves the source material." In my view, it'd be insulting to Nozawa's contributions to Dragon Ball to use an AI of her voice because, even if it sounded like her, it wouldn't be her. It'd be equating her incredible performance to something that a soulless computer can reproduce.

On the inevitable and tragic day when Masako Nozawa passes away, the best way to honor her would be to acknowledge that nobody can play Masako Nozawa's Goku...better than Masako Nozawa herself, and to pass the torch to a new actress who can do her own take on the character.
I would think she probably has understudies now but then again, I thought the same about other Dragon Ball voice actors and recasts (for whatever reason) have been very hit or miss for the franchise. Bulma's new VA is amazing but the Satan voices after Gori have been pretty meh to me.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:51 am

I mean it’s their voice, not really okay to about using someone’s voice without their permission. They are the ones making the sounds. Disney is super shit tbh.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:49 pm

Aim wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:51 am I mean it’s their voice, not really okay to about using someone’s voice without their permission. They are the ones making the sounds. Disney is super shit tbh.
It's not their voice. It sounds like their voice, and there have been sound-alikes and impressions since the begininng of entertainment. Heck, FUNi started out doing soundalikes for the previous dragonball crew.

And, are we sure contract negotiated this does just pertain to reusing pre-existing recordings vs a program that just alters someone's voice to sound like someone elses?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:29 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:49 pm
Aim wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:51 am I mean it’s their voice, not really okay to about using someone’s voice without their permission. They are the ones making the sounds. Disney is super shit tbh.
It's not their voice. It sounds like their voice, and there have been sound-alikes and impressions since the begininng of entertainment. Heck, FUNi started out doing soundalikes for the previous dragonball crew.

And, are we sure contract negotiated this does just pertain to reusing pre-existing recordings vs a program that just alters someone's voice to sound like someone elses?
A synthesized ai of the actors voice is not even close to the same thing as hired cheap soundalike voice actors

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:52 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:49 pmIt's not their voice. It sounds like their voice, and there have been sound-alikes and impressions since the begininng of entertainment. Heck, FUNi started out doing soundalikes for the previous dragonball crew.
Technically, it is their voice. It's just not them using their voice, which presents a number of both ethical and financial dilemmas. Dilemmas that were not present (or at least, not nearly as severe) with sound-alikes, because sound-alikes have historically still been humans, who were financially compensated for their vocal mimicry.
Anonymous Friend wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:49 pmAnd, are we sure contract negotiated this does just pertain to reusing pre-existing recordings vs a program that just alters someone's voice to sound like someone elses?
Well, the reason Mario and Rene wanted their voices removed from this app was because there wasn't a contract, period. Somebody just took recordings of their voices and used the app to create synthetic AI versions of their voices, without asking them for permission or compensating them in any way. As I stated earlier, I have zero familiarity with the Mexican legal system, so I don't know if Mario and Rene would necessarily have any legal recourse there. If this happened in the US, they would.

That said, your sentence about altering someone's voice to sound like someone else's...is an extremely gray area, legally speaking, even in the US. There are concerns that even legitimate production companies may attempt to get around compensating actors by using AI to alter pre-existing audio libraries of synthesized voices to produce new voices that sound similar to the actors in question, but did not actually sample any of that actor's vocal recordings. In other words, let's say they wanted to create an English, synthesized AI voice of Masko Nozawa's Goku. Theoretically, AI could eventually get to a point where they can take audio samples of voices that are not Masako Nozawa, and alter or even blend them together to create a voice that sounds almost exactly like Masako Nozawa...all the while without actually using any of her vocal recordings.

Then, production companies could (in theory) legally argue, "We didn't synthetically modify the actor's voice, we just synthetically modified other voices to sound like the actor's voice, so there's no problem." That's far more legally murky.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:01 am

It's not their voice.
It sounds like their voice, and there have been sound-alikes and impressions since the begininng of entertainment.
It's literally their voice. Created from their recordings. And even if it wasn't, the grounds for a lawsuit would be on impersonation, actually, that is precisely why you can’t just use a celebrity’s image for profit without an image rights consent form. Impersonating a celebrity counts as basically defamation.

That's why their voices were taken off the app immediately after their rightful complaint.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:16 pm

Frist of all, I want to thank TheBlackPaladin for sharing his knowledge on the subject, I learned a lot.

Second, I wanted to know your opinion but what I personally think is that AI voice synthesizer is OK as long as the voice actors get a percentage everytime it is used, probably cents, but it would be a compensation which in my opinion they are entitled to get. I think the closest to that would be how spotify works, artists get paid for their music, but it's not just them, it's everyone involved in the music industry. Could this mean that in a similar way that we faced copyright issues with images since 2018 now we will face it for digital voice clips? Deep regulations It would make sense honestly.
It's literally their voice. Created from their recordings. And even if it wasn't, the grounds for a lawsuit would be on impersonation, actually, that is precisely why you can’t just use a celebrity’s image for profit without an image rights consent form. Impersonating a celebrity counts as basically defamation.

I AGREE

Two other very important subjects have been exposed here:
1)
Toei could one day say, "No more paying humans to dub, we're just going to use an app to synthesize the Japanese voice actors in another language."
You know that is very terrifying. I have worked as a live interpreter (like a protocol droid C3PO) and people would constantly joke sayuing they would rather use Google translate :lolno: There is no way machines could ever get the level of complexity and emotion that can be printed into human voice. Voice actors work really hard, humas should never be replaced for that.

2)
with sound-alikes, because sound-alikes have historically still been humans, who were financially compensated for their vocal mimicry.
This is very interesting because there are thousands of imitators of mario's voice on youtube already, mainly on parodies, and some of them are pretty good.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:12 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:16 pm There is no way machines could ever get the level of complexity and emotion that can be printed into human voice. Voice actors work really hard, humas should never be replaced for that.
Large number of narrators lost their jobs already with the increasing popularity of text to speech programs, because many companies just don't really need the inflexions of a human voice for their narration and it's cheaper. So yes like I said, people who critizise these guys for complaining are clueless

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:03 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:16 pm Frist of all, I want to thank TheBlackPaladin for sharing his knowledge on the subject, I learned a lot.

Second, I wanted to know your opinion but what I personally think is that AI voice synthesizer is OK as long as the voice actors get a percentage everytime it is used, probably cents, but it would be a compensation which in my opinion they are entitled to get. I think the closest to that would be how spotify works, artists get paid for their music, but it's not just them, it's everyone involved in the music industry. Could this mean that in a similar way that we faced copyright issues with images since 2018 now we will face it for digital voice clips? Deep regulations It would make sense honestly.

Well thank you, I'm glad I was able to provide some helpful info. :)

As for compensating actors for their synthesized AI voices, that's a tough to answer for a number of reasons (not the least of which is that I'm just one person, so I don't mean to speak for all actors). Personally, my thought is that how an actor should be compensated for their AI voices should vary on a case-by-case basis depending on how widely used the voice is. Like, if it's just used to play a phrase like, "Welcome to the library" whenever somebody enters a public library in some small town in Wisconsin, that should be a relatively small fee, but if it's used as the voice in a commercial that plays across the entire country, that should require far more money. Spotify is probably not the best economic model for AI usage anyway since it--in my view--screws the musical artists with how low the royalty rates are. As this article notes, a song would need to be streamed 314 times for the royalty payment to even reach a single dollar.

So, there is no one-size-fits-all solution, economically speaking. The closest thing that has been proposed to an official rate structure for AI usage of an actor's voice never came to pass. A synthesized AI voice company approached SAG-AFTRA (the US actors union) about creating a contract and rate structure, and one was indeed created...but the company decided at the last second, for reasons that are not clear, to bail on it.

Honestly though, the far bigger issue beyond financial compensation for an AI voice is the usage of the voice. In other words, having an app that can make anybody convincingly sound like they said anything...has some serious potential consequences. It's one thing to get an AI voice say funny or silly phrases, but there's a far darker flip-side to that: it could also be used to make the actor sound like they said something horrible. For example, what's to stop somebody from using an AI voice to make an actor sound like they said something horribly racist? Or misogynist? Or homophobic? Or advocating a political view or political candidate that they don't actually support? Or making a bomb threat?

See what I mean? There are some enormous ethical dilemmas around usage. There are certain things that, I don't care how much I was paid, I would never want an AI voice of mine to say. Especially as the technology advances and becomes more convincing, as it does every day, and people could end up mistaking the AI voice for something that the actor actually said in real life. Any smart actor who agrees to have an AI copy of their voice made should insist that their contracts include a clause saying that the actor has to personally approve their voice in every instance that it's used. All the more reason that Mario and Rene were 100% right to ask that their voices be removed from FakeYou.
Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:16 pm Two other very important subjects have been exposed here:
TheBlackPaladin wrote: 1) Toei could one day say, "No more paying humans to dub, we're just going to use an app to synthesize the Japanese voice actors in another language."
You know that is very terrifying. I have worked as a live interpreter (like a protocol droid C3PO) and people would constantly joke sayuing they would rather use Google translate :lolno: There is no way machines could ever get the level of complexity and emotion that can be printed into human voice. Voice actors work really hard, humas should never be replaced for that.
I agree that they shouldn't, but unfortunately, the technology is getting better at emoting. Some genres of voice-over like E-Learning, audiobooks, and audio description are already putting AI to use and getting rid of human narrators. Especially in cases where tons of emoting isn't necessarily required. Even in cases where emoting is required though, the technology is getting better. Obsidian, the video game company, recently started using AI voices for the early stages of their game development cycles. At the moment, even Obsidian will tell you that they're only using AI for the early stages of game design--basically using AI as "placeholders," to eventually be replaced by real human voice actors--but even a couple years ago, that would have sounded absurd. That's the nature of technology: it's constantly improving.

Heh, so yeah, I'm not a fan. Can you tell? :lol:

In any event, the future is not necessarily all doom-and-gloom. More and more laws are being created to address issues like these. In California, for example, it is explicitly illegal to use AI voices in political ads. The cynical part of me wants to say, "Wow, as soon as something threatens a politician, look how quickly something is done about it," but hey, it's something. In addition, as the threat of visual and audio deepfakes increases, more and more software programs are being developed specifically to detect deepfakes. Finally, when it comes to actors, plenty of actors unions are discussing this issue and drawing up protective clauses.

I remain cautiously optimistic that we can reach a future where AI is used in an ethical manner, and that cases where it isn't can be mitigated and exposed.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:27 pm

dva_raza wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:01 am

It's not their voice.
It sounds like their voice, and there have been sound-alikes and impressions since the begininng of entertainment.

That's why their voices were taken off the app immediately after their rightful complaint.
So, it is a recording of their voice, then. Okay.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:06 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:16 pm 1)
Toei could one day say, "No more paying humans to dub, we're just going to use an app to synthesize the Japanese voice actors in another language."
Let's be fair now, a lot of these dubs are already being done by whoever is willing to work for the least pay to get something vaguely acceptable out there. Google Translate may be terrible, but Google Translated video games still read better than 80s video games that were translated by whoever on the dev team knew the most English.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:55 pm

Adamant wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:06 pm
Let's be fair now, a lot of these dubs are already being done by whoever is willing to work for the least pay to get something vaguely acceptable out there.
Oh, that's not nearly as true as it used to be. Lately, many in the localization industry--be it actors, translators, adapters, directors, engineers, and more--are calling for a raise in rates. Among actors in particular, there is a mass mobilization in the LA and NY markets towards unionizing as much anime dubbing work as possible. Dallas actors have been the most hesitant to unionize, but even they're slowly starting to come around. I can tell you there are now plenty of instances of actors refusing to even audition en masse unless certain rates are met for dubs.

The general feeling throughout the localization industry (at least in the US right now) is that the current "industry standard" rates are a relic of the past when anime--or for that matter, foreign shows in general--wasn't nearly as mainstream as it has now become. Even a few years ago, the attitude towards union dubs was, "Eh, they're nice when they happen, but whatever, dubbing work pays crap and that's just how it is." Pretty much everybody who works in that field is finally starting to put their foot down, though. The ancient rates are in desperate need of an upgrade, and they're slowly but surely getting upgrades.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:52 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:55 pm
Adamant wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:06 pm
Let's be fair now, a lot of these dubs are already being done by whoever is willing to work for the least pay to get something vaguely acceptable out there.
Oh, that's not nearly as true as it used to be. Lately, many in the localization industry--be it actors, translators, adapters, directors, engineers, and more--are calling for a raise in rates. Among actors in particular, there is a mass mobilization in the LA and NY markets towards unionizing as much anime dubbing work as possible. Dallas actors have been the most hesitant to unionize, but even they're slowly starting to come around. I can tell you there are now plenty of instances of actors refusing to even audition en masse unless certain rates are met for dubs.

The general feeling throughout the localization industry (at least in the US right now) is that the current "industry standard" rates are a relic of the past when anime--or for that matter, foreign shows in general--wasn't nearly as mainstream as it has now become. Even a few years ago, the attitude towards union dubs was, "Eh, they're nice when they happen, but whatever, dubbing work pays crap and that's just how it is." Pretty much everybody who works in that field is finally starting to put their foot down, though. The ancient rates are in desperate need of an upgrade, and they're slowly but surely getting upgrades.
Considering the rising popularity of simulcasts making even Americans grow out of silly "rargle bargle if my TV show doesn't talk in American I'm not watching" attitudes, it seems pretty counterintuitive to demand MORE money for what's turning more and more into a bonus audio track you're not actually purchasing the product for.
Isn't there a growing trend of hiring randos from cons to do cheapo voice acting too?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:14 am

Adamant wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:52 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:55 pm Oh, that's not nearly as true as it used to be. Lately, many in the localization industry--be it actors, translators, adapters, directors, engineers, and more--are calling for a raise in rates. Among actors in particular, there is a mass mobilization in the LA and NY markets towards unionizing as much anime dubbing work as possible. Dallas actors have been the most hesitant to unionize, but even they're slowly starting to come around. I can tell you there are now plenty of instances of actors refusing to even audition en masse unless certain rates are met for dubs.

Considering the rising popularity of simulcasts making even Americans grow out of silly "rargle bargle if my TV show doesn't talk in American I'm not watching" attitudes, it seems pretty counterintitive to demand MORE money for what's turning more and more into a bonus audio track you're not actually purchasing the product for.
The actual analytics suggest otherwise.

I have no doubt that simuldubs and quicker release schedules have opened anime fans up to subtitled content more than they used to be, but dubs are not even close to being viewed as "a bonus audio track you're not actually purchasing the product for" by the masses by any stretch of the imagination. At least not in the US. My understanding of dubbing is that different countries view it differently, but in the US, it is still very much a popular--and in many cases, preferred--way to watch foreign content. Besides, even putting aside artistic preferences, dubs are also there to address the accessibility needs of blind and visually-impaired audiences.
Adamant wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:52 pm Isn't there a growing trend of hiring randos from cons to do cheapo voice acting too?
Heck no. I'm only aware of one company that "hires randos from cons," and even then, I wouldn't describe it as that, and certainly not as a "trend." What they do is meant as more of a fun little contest than anything else. Con-goers audition publicly for the casting director, and the one who gives the best audition gets to play a small, teeny-tiny role (usually one of several background/crowd/"walla" voices for characters that don't even appear on screen). This company would never cast a principal role--even a smaller, less important one--in this manner.